Cover Image: Carrie Soto Is Back

Carrie Soto Is Back

One simply cannot put down a Taylor Jenkins Reid book.  You do not have to be a tennis fan to enjoy the strong characters, twists of fate, and human experience. So glad Carrie planned her return.
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Carrie Soto is arguably the greatest female tennis player the world has ever seen - until she isn’t.  Six years after her retirement, she’s now watching as a new group of women take aim at her records, specifically a new breed of tennis player - Nicki Chan.  When Carrie comes out of retirement to try and defend her record, will she wind up falling short of her own accomplishments or remind the world why she’s the the best of the best.

Chronicling Carrie’s career and comeback, Carrie Soto Is Back is an emotional train of accomplishment, family drama and interpersonal relationships - which is Reid’s favorite cup of tea. Fans of the Reid universe will love the brief mention of the Rivas from Malibu Rising and the way all of Reid’s characters continue to meld together.

Thanks to Net Galley, RHPG - Ballantine Books, and Taylor Jenkins Reid for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Read if you like:

+ Taylor Jenkins Reid - specifically Malibu Rising
+ Huge Tennis Super Fan
+ Celebrity / Athlete Memoirs
Who knew a book about a tennis player (a sport I know nothing about) would make me openly sob? Carrie Soto can take her place as one of my favorite fictional characters of all time now.

This is one of the most true to form explorations of experiencing grief and loss in real time that I have read, along with learning to move on. It was beautifully done, and Taylor Jenkins Reid is easily one of my top favorite authors. She was previous to this title, but wow, did this solidify that.

Thanks Random House - Ballantine for an early copy!
I always enjoy how Taylor Jenkins Reid is able to make each book different than the last -- the books in essence feel like her as an author, but the premises and characters are so unique. Another home run from TJR.
I love TJR but I think this particular story was too rooted in sports for me. However Carrie's dedication to her craft pushes the reader to infer loving something that can break your heart.
Perfect vibes, unputtable, emotional and written with good research! I just looooove all the different stories Taylor Jenkins Reid writes!
I absolutely ADORED this book. To be completely transparent, I am not usually a huge TJR fan, nothing against her or her writing it just doesn't usually speak to me. This story, however, was immaculate. I loved everything about the dimension in which it was written, different formats and stylizations, truly remarkable. Also as a born and raised Daddy's girl by heart, I was unnerved but also entranced by Carrie's relationship with her father and the full circle it came and the depth that it had.  Carrie the "battle-axe" had me from the jump. 5/5 unquestionable stars. READ IT.
Obviously I picked this book up because Taylor Jenkins Reid. I know very little about Tennis so I would not have necessarily gravitated to this if it was not for the author, but it turns out that really didn't matter.
Carrie Soto is a strong female lead who you just couldn't wait to learn more about. The book was raw and emotional and I loved it. Was it Evelyn Hugo? No. But it was close.
I have recommended this book to a number of people and would recommend it to every Taylor Jenkins Reid fan (which should be.. everyone)
I requested this book but didn't read the synopsis and had no idea this story was about tennis! I enjoy Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing is this was unexpectedly enjoyable. Thank you to the author and publisher for my copy in exchange for a review.
To be honest, I could barely remember who Carrie Soto was in the book Malibu Rising.  But in Carrie Soto is Back, she makes a lasting impression. Tennis fans and fans of Taylor Jenkins Reid will adore this book.
Carrie Soto Is Back was the perfect novel. It somehow got me interested into tennis, though I never once played this sport nor watch it. The writing style was perfect as usual and it was as if I was into the story. Would highly recommend it!
I could not get into this book while reading, I did not realize how heavily tennis the content was and I could not connect to Carrie Soto at all. I do love other books by TJR but this one was just not it for me,.
To be perfectly honest, this had been a much anticipated read for me as I had enjoyed TJR's writing before.  But as I began, I immediately hit a wall with the Spanish.  It caused me to pause and struggle to pick it back up.  There are others who have discussed this more eloquently but the critique deserves repeating - I understand the desire for diversity in stories and believe it should be there but that to me means making appropriate space for authors of marginalized groups to write their own stories and get the support that white authors do.  When white authors tell these stories, which are not theirs to tell, you end up with a book like this that often made Carrie and Javier feel like caricatures of their culture (at least that is how it felt to me).  My Spanish is not as strong as it once was but it felt like the Spanish from google translate and not wholly natural/conversational.  Again, I recommend you follow latine reviewers who can better offer insight to this and I want to hold space for them because its important to do so.  (I am not saying you shouldn't have diversity in your books but if you're going to do it, you need to do it well and this did not meet the mark for me.  I can appreciate what TJR has said that she likes to write about powerful women and it didn't seem right to only write white women as powerful but the critiques of her writing women of color are fair and valid)

Outside of that, the book is okay! I love tennis and sports stories but there were parts of this book that felt ripped from the Williams sisters' lives and interviews and pasted in here.  The originality felt lacking but again I like sports enough and the Williams sisters more that I could enjoy the basis of this book. The books is heavy on the tennis, which is the part that I enjoyed, but I know will not be for everyone.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Is there any world that Taylor Jenkins Reid can’t take us to? She’s done it again with Carrie Soto is Back, immersing the reader in the world of competitive tennis.  The title character is not immediately likable but as the story unfolds she grows on you and you find yourself rooting for her. The father daughter relationship is beautifully written. The story is well told. Bravo Ms. Jenkins Reid!
Carrie Soto is back! At 37 years old Carrie decides to start training again and come out of retirement when her tennis record is threatened. Her competitiveness never won her any friends but she did shatter records. Carrie will find out what it takes to prove to herself and everyone else that she’s still got it. Thank you Netgalley and Ballantine Books for the egalley in exchange for my honest review. I loved it. Carrie Soto is the most relatable yet bitchy character I’ve ever read. I loved the moments when she started opening up and being vulnerable in her own way. Taylor Jenkins Reid does it again with a powerhouse female character who is a total badass.
I don’t know anything about tennis, but this book made me want to watch and play! 🎾 I loved that this wasn’t just focused on the sport, but you could also watch Carrie’s growth throughout, while also remaining a strong, badass, independent female. Another thing I love is how the author has created this little world that feels totally real inside of her books. The crossovers between this, Malibu Rising, and Daisy Jones and the Six makes me so happy. I would recommend this to anyone who’s loved any other Taylor Jenkins Reid books!
I typically love TJR, but was not into this one. I think it was the sports aspect of it that had me at a lost. I still will read anything she comes out with though!
Taylor Jenkins Reid’s latest novel, Carrie Soto Is Back, is an inspirational story about pushing past your limits and striving for greatness even when it seems impossible. Through vivid and captivating storytelling, Reid captures  Carrie’s journey as she battles her age, the media, and herself to reclaim the title that was once hers. With a powerful message of hope, Reid creates an inspiring story about never giving up, even when the odds are stacked against you. A must-read for any fan of uplifting literature.
TJR is truly one of my favorite authors. I love the way she makes you feel like you actually know the characters shes writing and I also love a clever tie in to some of her older books. HOWEVER this one really did not hit for me like her older stuff.  This was very tennis focused, which I understand as a huge plot point to the story, but I did not need *quite so much* tennis. I think the point could have been made with more focus on the story, however I dont think there was much of a story without the tennis.  So needless to say, this was not my favorite book but I do understand why it was written this way, it just wasnt my taste specifically.
Perfectly acceptable for a book club. This didn't stand out to me as much as Evelyn Hugo or Daisy Jones and the Six, but was a much better read than Malibu Rising.I appreciated the choice of chapter breaks here.