Cover Image: How We Heal

How We Heal

Alex Elle writes elegantly about life and healing. Her books are personal and universal. They are encouraging and inciting. In How We Heal, Elle invites her readers into her journey and process toward healing. Throughout the book are multiple prompts to engage in the journaling/healing process. She allows space for readers to take their time and return back when ready. She holds space for imperfection and the process that healing truly takes.
All the stars for this book!

Thank you Netgalley for this advanced copy. There is so much wisdom in this book that I'll carry with me forever. I don't normally like self-help books but this is gentle, empathetic, and heartfelt. I'll be buying this book for myself and others.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC digital copy. I was not compensated for this review and all opinions are my own.

I was really looking forward to reading this book, but unfortunately the large “Copyrighted. Not authorized for distribution.” was far too distracting for me to continue.

3 stars out of respect for the author and to avoid unintentionally skewing the rating.
We all have healing to do from something - whether that something is fresh and raw, keeps resurfacing, or tucked away deep in the past...this book is for you. I've been deep into books about healing in the last several months, and I've found value in all of them. However, this is one that I will come back to again and again. In the last several years my eyes have been opened to the benefits of journaling and mindfulness, but for some reason this book connected with me in a way that made those practices even more accessible and enjoyable and healing than I had previously found them. No matter what you are going through you will find hope, power, and healing through the interviews, journal prompts, and practices in this book. It is one I know I will return to over and over. And, did I mention the physical book is GORGEOUS!? I can't wait to get my hands on one and will as soon at it releases in a few days. Thank you @netgalley @chroniclebooks and @snailbooks for the opportunity to read an ARC.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I ended up enjoying it and learning from it. It is jam packed with amazing stories that tie in so well with the sections. I will definitely keep an eye out for this book once it has been published.
As a self proclaimed fan of all books and materials centering around personal growth, this book went above and beyond my expectations.  I knew that it would be a lovely, supportive, and gentle book - however I underestimated just how impactful and powerful it would be.  What sets this book apart is how wholeness is approached.  It includes exercises for one's mind, soul, and body.  Another standout component of this book is the personal narrative that is shared by the author.  The way in which she does this cultivates a sense of safety in the pages, a place where the reader/writer can meet the page authentically, without judgement. This will be a book that stays with me for a long time, one that I will gift, one that will be included in bookclubs, & one that I will repurchase for myself over the years.  Wonderful, tender, hopeful.
I have always loved and followed Alexandra Elle so getting this book was a dream. come true. It was a relatable book on healing and the beauty about this book was that it was a book that connected with parts of me that needed to heal. Whether you are healing from grief, trauma ,job loss or divorce then this book is for you, The book also was interactive and it activated my love of journaling, Another thing that made me love the book was that it showed that healing is linear through contributions by Morgan harper Nichols, Tabitha Brown and Nedra , I highly recommend this gem .

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and all opinions expressed are entirely my own
“How We Heal: Uncover Your Power and Set Yourself Free”
Alex Elle
Chronicle Books, 2022

Alex Elle lured me into her newest title, “How We Heal”, within the first several pages when she addressed her own potential not “enoughness” and expected qualifications to write this book. An author willing to connect with readers and share their history and path to healing offers more than narrative, but vulnerability and authenticity through lived experience.

In addition to Elle’s own narrative, she included step-by-step journaling, self-love, and meditation practices to help gain further healing and align with the previous chapter. For example, one exercise walks you through questions related to “what hurts,” expanding some current understandings of self-trust and responsibility.

Bonus: guest authors include Morgan Taylor Nichols, Glennon Doyle, Nedra Glover Tawwab, and more!  If they, or Alex Elle, are not already one of your favorite authors they may become one.  Also, “How We Heal” is potentially a great fit for fans of Brene Brown, Elizabeth Gilbert and Ruth King.
I feel this was organized how I’d hoped it would be, which is huge for books such as these. You have Journal prompts and questions to ask yourself — things to reflect on and then the author goes into some beautiful stories about their life that ultimately feeds that understanding.

This is absolutely motivational and so helpful in shadow work/healing. I’d recommend this to everyone, really.

I received this ebook free for a genuine review.
I've been following Alex on Instagram for awhile, devouring her words whenever I needed a boost. I was delighted to see I was accepted to read her new book, How We Heal. It was truly a masterpiece and made me feel as though my best friend was sitting next to me, offering all of the best advice. I felt very seen throughout this book, almost as though I was reading my journal with some of the situations she shared. What a wonderful book for anyone who feels as though they need to heal -- and quite honestly, we all need a little bit of healing. I'll definitely be recommending this book to friends and family!
Alexandra Elle is one of my favorite authors and this book did not disappoint. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with anxiety and other mental illnesses. This book is like a warm hug.
I truly loved this book. The book does not focus solely on the importance of healing. It's about so many things. Things that I can actually learn about in real life. This book as well as another book and also a podcast “The Morning Walk” with another host are amazing and quite helpful.

I wanted to say thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a review.
This book was my introduction to Alexandra Elle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the journaling exercises and words of encouragement will help a lot of people.
Self book bothers me a lot but standing on despair I would forcibly make myself read one and so I chose this.This did not disappoint me at all.Specially how it explained having triggers on page 23 mesmerised me.But at the middle I kind of found the book advising in an typical manner not like the way it started with grace. For some people like me, it kind of triggers and so I think a little different narration would be comfortable but again it's fine as everyone has a different healing style.I appreciate this book bringing me comfort.Thanks author.
Alex Elle teaches us that there is no end point to the healing journey. To heal is to accept and integrate our pain and our experiences into the whole of who we are. She also teaches us that we don’t have to reside in the pit of our pain and how to use writing practice to process what ails us and set ourselves free.

Alex offers us a four step healing process to make room for new beginnings:
Tending to self-doubt
Befriending our fear
Reclaiming our power and rewriting our narrative
Leaning in to joy

She provides readers with writing exercises, journal prompts, meditations and breath work practices to support our journey through the four steps.

My favorite aspect of the book are the interviews woven throughout with influential women sharing their experiences with healing and their own creative and expressive practices. As an expressive arts therapist, it was so encouraging and energizing to read other women share what brings them joy in daily life!

Thank you to the author and publisher for the E-arc copy!
What can I say except order this one asap. Alex Elle has a gift in the way that she shares her healing process in such an authentic, vulnerable, and accessible way. I have loved her previous works, participated in her online workshops, enjoyed her meditations online. This lovely book is another extension of all of those things. I can’t wait to gift this to many friends this holiday season.

Thank you so much Alex for sharing your gift with us.
Alexandra Elle is one of my favorites follows on Instagram and a must follow for all those who are trying to heal and move on post tough seasons of life.  She is a breath of fresh air and her words leave you feeling like you are healing and able to continue to move forward instead of backward.  Great read and highly recommend!
Lyrical and heartfelt book. It felt like I was speaking with a friend at the kitchen table. Filled with hard earned wisdom and beautifully written.
If “After the Rain” was a testament to individual resilience and a love letter to one’s self, “How We Heal” is a love letter to community. Yes, this is a book about individual healing. But in these pages the author underscores the ways individual growth also invariably provides more strength collectively. Overflowing with simply profound (and profoundly simple) life lessons from her own lived experience, along with riveting insights from influential voices across industries, this second work from Alex Elle is somehow even more life-changing than the first. Part memoire, part guidebook, part interactive journal, “How We Heal” is both a warm hug and a deep-dive therapy session, and truly a transformative resource guiding the healing of our hearts and minds—and thereby the world.
I first heard of Alex Elle on Instagram and have been a fan ever since so I was excited to find that she had a new book coming out. This is the first book that I've read by her and it was amazing. How We Heal was a much-needed book and it came at the perfect time for me. I really enjoyed reading the mini-essays and interviews of other writers, artists, activists, etc. It was really interesting to read stories about healing and the different ways that  Alex as well as the other individuals mentioned in the book practice healing. The journaling prompts, and meditation techniques were so good. I found myself highlighting so many pages especially the journaling prompts.