Cover Image: Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder

Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder

I LOVED this book. Pearl and Sally are literal goals. I only hope to be exactly like Pearl when I reach that age. So, I love a good murder mystery. Having two older women enjoying their time at a resort in Mexico and somehow thinking they need to solve a murder, 10/10. I just started the second book and can’t wait to continue the story with these two lively characters. I think they compliment each other very well. Please please please continue their story.

Thank you to netgalley for the early arc in exchange for a review.
Wendy Day introduces us to the comedic duo Pearl and Sally. The two ladies banter away in a sense that I find entertaining and endearing. The story starts with Sally losing her husband and realizing that she might have missed out on certain things in life. Here is where her daring friend Pearl steps in and convinces her to go on vacation to Mexico. During their visit, they get in big trouble. This little lead in grabbed my attention, as it is a unique premise and I love that it focusses on senior women.

Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder has all the ingredients for a wonderful book: a good friendship, a great destination and some mystery! While reading it, I enjoyed the friendship between Pearl and Sally and I loved how the author created space for Sally's character to grow and evolve past the life she knew with her now passed husband. However, I found the lead up to what I felt was the key part of the story too long and when we finally hit where I wanted to be it was over in a blink of an eye. It was hard to keep my attention throughout the book, because I felt that the author went too deep into details that didn't matter to me. This is so very personal, but the writing style was unfortunately not for me either. It kind of abruptly jumped from one thing to the next and I missed some smooth flows to keep me going. Although I loved the idea of the story, and I did enjoy the two characters, it's sad to say that this book was not really for me.
What a fun duo Sally and  Pearl are! Definitely would have a fun girl's night out with them! Very fun read. Good story plot that flows smoothly.  Grab a few hours for some light hearted reading.  I can't wait to see where these two fun characters get into next! Thanks #netgalley and #OpenSkyPublishing for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.
Sally and Pearl are two elderly women who watch a lot of true crime television and suddenly find themselves in the middle of a possible murder situation while on vacation in Mexico. Surely nothing could go wrong, right?? Sally lost her husband suddenly and her friend Pearl is helping her cope by planning a trip to Mexico to a nice resort. It isn't Pearl's fault that their neighbor at the resort was seemingly pushed down the stairs in a murder plot. This was a very fun and lighthearted cozy mystery. The protagonists of Pearl and Sally were a fun duo; Pearl seems like somebody that I'd want to spend more time with! I appreciate the friendship these two have for each other, and that they had fun on their adventure, even though it seemed a bit silly and somewhat unbelievable at at times, which was the worst part of the book in my opinion. It was a cute and fun afternoon read, nothing that was too intellectual or serious.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for an advanced copy of this book. All opinions within this review are my own.
I received a copy of this book early through NetGalley. The title and prompt looked fun and light hearted. I did enjoy this book, but I don’t think I would say it’s a must read. The characters are Pearl and Sally are cute. Sally is finding herself after 46 years of marriage. But I feel it lacked something for me. It went from a murder, to being solved in a snap.
Thank you to Wendy Day for the copy via Netgalley to read and review!

This is such a cute story of two friends coming together after a loss. I love Pearl's energy, she gives me all the happy vibes even though she has seen tragedy in her own life. (But..... did her kids names change from book 1 to book 2....???)

I loved the descriptions of Mexico and the beach. it made me feel like I could imagine the resort. I also loved the fun, flirty relationship between Sally and Mike. They're cute.
This one was cute! I enjoyed it. A little mystery and humor in it. I loved that the characters were young as they are in most books. It shows that you can still have a good time regardless of your age.
This ARC was provided by the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

What do you do when your husband dies and you’re not sure what to do with yourself? You go to Mexico with your best friend and end up in the middle of a murder mystery.

This book was cute and funny and the main characters were super adorable. I think this book would make an a great action comedy movie.

Due to the nature of the early review my copy had some formatting issues that made reading somewhat difficult, but overall I enjoyed this book.
Easy, breezy read with uncomplicated characters and a plot I figured out.  Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.  Will read another in the series gladly.
This was a thrill ride from the first page to the last, with tender moments of emotions and the changes growing old takes you through. Two old friends finding themselves in a crazy and at times hilarious bind and working themselves back out of it. Pearl and Sally were truly a hoot!  This was a nice escape and a quick and funny read.
I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Copy provided by Clear Sky Publishing.

After her grumpy husband dies, Sally throws out her thread-worn plaid recliner, cashes the life insurance check, and lets her spunky best friend, Pearl, drag her to Mexico for an all-inclusive vacation using their Senior Citizen’s discount. They kayak, sing karaoke, and spy on the next-door nudist resort. Sally’s not sure if it is the sun or tequila, but she is truly having fun for the first time in her life. That is until a fellow guest turns up dead. While Sally fearfully packs her bags for home, Pearl insists they stay and get to the bottom of what’s happened. Together, they become crime-fighting seniors who refuse to let the bad guys win.

If you enjoy cozy mysteries with adventure, then this book is for you. This story has a great set of characters. I liked both characters and admired Sally's new lease on life .It made me think of how being a senior citizen does not mean that you can’t have fun. It was well written and combined humor with serious situations.I am hoping there will be more adventures and cannot wait to see what's in store for them. I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would and highly recommend you give it a chance.
I basically picked this one up for the title and the tagline  of Golden Girls meets Thelma and Louise. This one kept me laughing from page one till the end. And it was everything I thought it would be.
Mexico, Margaritas and Murder
By Wendy Day

What's it about 🌺
A delightful murder mystery adventure featuring BFFs Sally and Pearl. It's Golden Girls meets Thelma and Louise.

After Sally's husband die, Sally throws out his thread-worn plaid recliner, cashes the life insurance check, and lets her spunky best friend, Pearl, drag her to Mexico for an all-inclusive vacation using their Senior Citizen’s discount.

Between going kayak, sing karaoke, and spy on the next-door nudist resort, Sally's having the best time of her life that is until a fellow guest turns up dead.

My thoughts
It's a bit slow going, but I really enjoyed Sally and Pearl, they were fun and I enjoyed reading about there adventure, I can't wait for the next book in the series.

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder by Wendy Day is a good mystery beach book.

I liked that it featured senior characters and I also enjoy reading about one of the main character's new beginning in life after the death of her not so great husband.

While I like to get to know the characters well especially in the first book of a new series I have to admit it was a bit slow going as regards to the mystery itself.
Main protagonists really appealed to me, and I rooted for them, I especially admired their friendship and how supportive of each other they were.

That said I had to suspend belief on quite few occasions regarding the mystery and I though it was a bit silly at times.
This is a light and easy read for those without high expectations of accuracy but who read for pure enjoyment.
This was a cute, cozy little book. It wasn't riveting by any means but it was a fun little story. Would recommend.
Thank you NetGalley, Wendy Day and Clear Sky Publishing for the copy of Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder. This is my personal review.
Sally and Pearl have an adventure ahead that neither of them ever imagined would happen in their lives. Off they go to Mexico and the fun begins.
When a fellow guest is killed, they decided they want to find out who did it!
Neither of them was going to let their age get in the way of solving this mystery.
This book had me chuckling as I read parts of it. I liked the mystery and being with them as they worked on solving the murder was good.
'Golden Girls meets Thelma and Louise'

That is what caught my attention and made me want to read this book.  And I am so glad I did as it provided me with a lot of fun and entertainment. Pearl and Sally are a hoot and really made this book. And the title said it all.  A great setting, a resort and holiday and two older women who love crime  and mysteries.

It is a faced paced read which keeps you on your toes and keeps you reading. it had all the fun, mystery and characters you want from a good cosy read.  I really enjoyed it and it was a change from some of the books I have been reading lately so that is good for me too.

Lots of fun, holiday frivolity along with a murder of course.  Anyone for a Margarita in Mexico!?
3.75 stars. Thank you to Netgalley and the Author Wendy Day for the E-Arc. This book was such a hoot I enjoyed Pearl and Sally so much. I can totally see me and my bestie doing this when we are older but still Fabulous. I loved the light comedy even during the heavier moments.
After Sally’s husband unexpectedly dies, she finds herself at a loss. Her new friend Pearl convinces her to go on a vacation to Mexico. Sally agrees and soon finds herself thrilled to be traveling and experiencing life. However, one of the people at their resort turns up dead.

I liked this premise a lot but it took almost halfway through the book to get to the murder. I appreciate we needed some set up especially as an assumedly first in the series, but I thought some of the activities they did at the resort could have been clue finding ones after the mystery part had started.
I almost read this in one sitting. I really enjoyed this book! I smiled a lot and laughed at Pearl and Sally’s shenanigans, I hope everyone finds their Pearl and Sally friendship. Heartwarming and fun - check this book out!