The Seven-Step Homestead

A Guide for Creating the Backyard Microfarm of Your Dreams

Pub Date 04 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 04 Apr 2023
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #TheSevenStepHomestead #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Today’s gardeners want a bit of everything—vegetables, fruit, medicinal herbs, flowers for pollinators, and even chickens for eggs. The dream is to build a diverse landscape that serves multiple functions, but achieving that goal can be intimidating and overwhelming. Homesteader Leah M. Webb shares her strategy for implementing a homestead plan in seven stages by starting small and gradually adding more features each year.

The Seven-Step Homestead takes readers through the process with a series of doable steps, beginning with establishing one or two raised beds of the easiest vegetables to grow, and gradually building up to the addition of fruit trees and berry bushes on hugelkulture mounds, a coop full of chickens, and a winter’s worth of storage crops. Step-by-step photos from the author’s own homestead, accompanied by her hard-earned advice and instruction, make this a one-of-a-kind guide for anyone who aspires to grow more of their own food.

Advance Praise

“An encouraging and detailed step-by-step, multi-year guide to building your own productive, beautiful garden. Webb has crafted an indispensable resource to help you flourish right alongside your burgeoning homestead, creating a highly productive, diverse, and beautiful home garden across the years.”

– Meg McAndrews Cowden, author of Plant Grow Harvest Repeat

"Aspiring gardeners, take note! Whether your focus is food sovereignty or food safety, The Seven-Step Homestead maps out four years of skillful gardening mentorship in intimate detail, walking the novice step-by-step through turning the most unpromising backyard into a fruitful and beautiful foodscape. With her broad experience, clarity of expression, and attention to detail, gardener-author Leah M. Webb will be the wise sister or generous neighbor of your greenest gardening dreams. This book will be an indispensable garden companion for years to come."

– Shawn and Beth Dougherty, authors of The Independent Farmstead

"A wonderful resource for beginners, Leah teaches you how to grow your own food in a smart and approachable way that won't leave you feeling overwhelmed."

– Crystal Schmidt, author of Freeze Fresh and creator of Whole-Fed Homestead

PAGES 240

This book is amazing and the perfect tool for beginners to create the garden and homestead of their dreams!

This is exactly the kind of book I've been looking for - as an extreme novice to gardens who has only just got the opportunity to grow things, I've been looking for a book that would help explain, encourage, and help me organise my very haphazard ideas into something feasible, and this really looks to fit the bill.

Some of the things that really appeal to me include the way that the author gives simple and clear how tos for what are basic things, but basic things that I don't know how to do! I actually feel like it is plausible to grow things myself now. Also the organisation of the book, the way that she gives a gentle buildup is a lot more appealing for me than many of the books I've seen which went for fill kn kitchen gardens from the off.

I will note that the book is obviously directed to readers from the US so I've made notes to check and adapt things like growing conditions and suitable crops for a different climate, but st least the things I've read from this book made me feel that I know what to look for.

I'm really looking forward to putting the things I've read in this book into action, and am very grateful for the confidence I have to do so.

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC*

This book is amazing! So much information but broken down into understandable language, giving reasons for doing things a certain way, step by step guides and plenty of diagrams/tables/pictures. As a keen grower of my own food, this is a brilliant addition to my library to pick up when needed!

A brilliant concise and comprehensive guide to growing your own food and how to look after egg laying birds.

This book is full of pictures, diagrams and information. It's a manual that will last you through your full homestead journey.

The author is upfront and says it will take most around 10 years to get to the level they are at. However, the start from the beginning, with how to create small beds and begin your journey.

With the cost of living increase impacting everyone, this book is a valuable resource for those with a bit of outdoor space and enthusiasm.

A must read.

So helpful and enjoyable. I love learning things about how to self sustain and where to start. This was step by step instructions that were easy to follow and totally doable. I am not an absolute beginner, but I also don't have a ton of experience with homesteading. This made me feel like I can do it and not be a failure!

This is EXACTLY what any new or potential homesteader needs in their life. Filled with how-tos and impeccable advice from basic gardening to detailed planning. An added bonus is the book is designed around smaller spaces so not only is this beneficial to small land owners, BYT it can be adapted to larger properties as well.

What I really appreciated about this informative book was the no nonsense tone and respect. The author understands that some people may not know anything about gardening and instead of assuming they do, she takes the time to explain even the simplest tasks.

If you’re new to homesteading or in the process of researching, this book NEEDS to be in your arsenal of knowledge.

I love the approach she took with this book! There are a hundred different homesteading books out there, and this one really puts the “why” and “how” of tiny homesteading into words. As the very front page says, “it’s more than just growing food.” She focuses on the process/development of a microfarm and breaks it down into digestible, actionable steps. I LOVE that there is a whole section on perennials. Such an overlooked option for having food abundance every year with a lot less work. By the end of her seven steps, you will have a fully functioning sustainable food system including fruit trees and some chickens. Sustainability and ATTAINABILITY.

Thank you, NetGalley!

This is a comprehensive book for anyone wanting to homestead or even make just a few changes. It is completely step-by-step and won't leave you feeling overwhelmed.

4.5-5 Stars! So much information! If you’re looking to set up a backyard homestead, THIS is where you want to start. It can feel a tad overwhelming while reading but if you’re serious about starting a backyard micro farm/homestead, this has everything you need to know, and more! Plus the author breaks it down into stages, making it easier to get started and add on. Great guide with plenty of photos and every step is broken done to the smallest detail. This is a great reference book, even if you just want to start a garden or only want to have chickens. I’d definitely recommend this book. I’ve been wanting to start a homestead and have chickens but didn’t know anything about it so I didn’t know where to start. This book really has everything you need to know.
*I received this at no charge & I voluntarily left this review.*