Burn the Negative

Pub Date 11 Jul 2023 | Archive Date 11 Jul 2023
PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons

Talking about this book? Use #BurntheNegative #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this incendiary mash-up of horror and suspense, a notorious slasher film is remade…and the curse that haunted it is reawakened.

Arriving in L.A. to visit the set of a new streaming horror series, journalist Laura Warren witnesses a man jumping from a bridge, landing right behind her car. Here we go, she thinks. It’s started. Because the series she’s reporting on is a remake of a ’90s horror flick. A cursed ’90s horror flick, which she starred in as a child—and has been running from her whole life.

In The Guesthouse, Laura played the little girl with the terrifying gift to tell people how the Needle Man would kill them. When eight of the cast and crew died in ways that eerily mirrored the movie’s on-screen deaths, the film became a cult classic—and ruined her life. Leaving it behind, Laura changed her name and her accent, dyed her hair, and moved across the Atlantic. But some scripts don’t want to stay buried.

Now, as the body count rises again, Laura finds herself on the run with her aspiring actress sister and a jaded psychic, hoping to end the curse once and for all—and to stay out of the Needle Man’s lethal reach.

Arriving in L.A. to visit the set of a new streaming horror series...

I was very intrigued by the description of this book. A journalist is sent to write about a 1990s movie that is supposedly cursed and is in the works for a reboot. What no one knows is that she was in that movie. Since then she has changed her name and the country she lives in.
When she arrives on the new set of The Guesthouse she is shocked by how close to the original it looks. She thinks it is a coincidence until the members start to die how the original cast did.
This book pulled me in until the last page and it is a must read to anyone who loves the cult horror movies.
I would highly recommend.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Great new twist on the film industry and horror movies!
Entertainment journalist Laura Warren has been assigned a story but finds out when she arrives that the series is actually a remake of a movie that she starred in as a child. The iconic horror movie, The Guesthouse was low budget and tied in to 8 mysterious deaths of cast and crew. The whole experience scared Laura for life and she and her family fled to England.

Now on set in LA, the memories are flooding back and it seems that the set is again cursed. Can Laura get to the bottom of her own feelings and experiences before the new curse catches up with her? This novel was a breath of fresh air and I loved that each chapter highlighted a piece of the old script or stories related to the original movie. If you love a good horror movie, love the inside scoop on movie making in general or just want to read a new and creepy slasher style book, Burn the Negative is for you!
#penguin

As a horror movie buff, I flew through this twisty story of a child star who is forced to revisit her demons when she's assigned to report on the remake of a movie that made her infamous. This story was well paced, addicting, and bloody as hell. I loved it.

If you loved the new Fear Street films on Netflix or The Thicket by Noelle Ihli this one is right up your alley.

Thank you so much to #NetGalley, the publishers and author for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinions.

I cant even begin to describe how much I love this book. Instant 5 stars, the gore, the curse, the nightmares, the storyline, everything was perfect! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book next year.