The Container Victory Garden

A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Your Own Groceries

Pub Date 21 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 21 Mar 2023
Harper Celebrate, Harper Horizon

Talking about this book? Use #TheContainerVictoryGarden #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Imagine this: In the morning, you pluck a few mint leaves from your backdoor herb garden and add them to your tea. A few hours later, you step out onto your patio and collect a handful of lettuce leaves for your lunch salad. Just before dinner, you harvest a few basil leaves and cherry tomatoes for a delicious caprese pasta.

In her trademark warm and informative style, bestselling author and expert gardener Maggie Stuckey shares everything you need to know to succeed with container gardening: planning, gearing up, planting, nurturing, and harvesting.

In The Container Victory Garden, you will find:

• detailed line art drawings that illustrate many gardening techniques and set-ups

• first-person stories of World War II Victory Gardens and their inspiration for today’s gardeners

• beautiful full-color paintings of diverse people enjoying their container gardens

This is the promise of container gardening: a fresh bounty of vegetables, herbs, and edible flowers you can enjoy in every season.

Even if all you have is a postage stamp's worth of space on a balcony, patio, or front stoop, The Container Victory Garden equips you to dig into the joys of container gardening, right where you are...

PAGES 224

When I saw the title for this, I was thrilled. A little back story - I have a fairly big obsession with war time Victory gardens (one with Victorian kitchen gardens too) and to find this title, a new title about current day Victory gardening, but with containers, and 😍When my grandfather came home from the South Pacific with the rest of the surviving Marines after the end of WWII, he gardened. He grew grapes for wine, and tomatoes, apples, and so many herbs. He gardened until he couldn’t. Thinking of the time I spent with him in his garden as he would work are some of the sweetest memories I have of my childhood. Growing things has always held immeasurable appeal for me.

I was therefore also delighted to receive early access to this wonderful guide. The layout is very attractive and clean, with occasional interspersed illustrations of people gardening, appealing photos of plants, there are also many fine-line illustrations in black ink of plants and gardening container / setup ideas.

This is a nice introduction to container gardening, as well as offering in depth profiles of the better plants for smaller space gardening, that yield a lot. I also loved the personal stories in here, the ingenious ideas along with memories. There’s a lot in here.

This one is a recommendation if you’re interested in gardening.

This is a great resource for people wanting to start a container garden. I loved the history woven in about the Victory Gardens--I found it to be inspirational. The illustrations were nice, but I think I would have preferred photos. As someone who has very little space to work with it would have been nice to see images of how one does container gardens in small spaces.

I'm sure this is going to be a very lovely book in person and a great resource to have on the shelf. If your library has an Heirloom Seed Library I would highly recommend this book as a resource for patrons who don't have much growing space to work with.

There is a ton of information in this book on container gardening. The author covers everything from what containers to use, what kinds of seeds, what plants work best in containers, and where and when to plant. This is a great resource for anyone interested in starting a container garden.

You should gift this book in winter to all your friends who love gardening. And then gift a copy to yourself. Start reading it in a cozy place in your home, and imagine the possibilities of your new garden. You want to read this book first because it is full of great stories of the past and frugal ideas for those on a small budget. By the time spring comes around you will be ready to create your produce section at home.

“I wrote this book for you if… you don’t have a real garden space.”
Well, that’s perfect for me!!!
The Container Victory Garden covers the concept of Victory Gardens, something that I kind of knew about but wasn’t all that familiar with, where a garden is made from any space you have available as a way to provide food for your household. The book starts with a brief history of Victory Gardens through the years and then provides a ton of great information for every step of the garden planning and planting process. I loved the beautiful illustrations included, which added a different layer that set this book apart from other garden books that focus mainly on photos. A great book for anybody looking to get into container gardening!

Maggie Stuckey did an amazing job with this Container Victory Garden. I already grow food on my balcony via containers, so it was really nice to read this book and know I'm doing it right such as not being able to grow beefsteak tomatoes, but excelling with cherry tomatoes.

This is a great book for those wanting to grow a garden, even if you have land and aren't sure about how to grow. It is also a great book to read even if you already grow with containers!