Holiday Read

Pub Date 11 May 2023 | Archive Date 31 May 2023

Talking about this book? Use #HolidayRead #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The ultimate escapist rom com for book and beach lovers! Perfect for fans of Emily Henry and Josie Silver.

When romance-fanatic Candice meets writer Alexis, she thinks her happy ending is finally on its way. He walks into her struggling Cornish surf school, and they hit it off straight away. Until she discovers that Alexis has been using their courtship as inspiration for the romantic novel he's struggling to write.

When Alexis offers to bring her in on the deal if Candice helps him deliver a winning book to his publisher, she accepts. But can Candice trust Alexis after his lies? And will she keep her focus when Alexis’ sweet, handsome and loyal agent Daniel arrives on the scene? Together, Candice, Alexis and Daniel will embark on a very unusual summer of love, as Candice tries to teach the men the recipe for a perfect romance story.

But you can't have a great love story without a great romantic hero. Will Candice find hers before the summer is over?

A Note From the Publisher

Taylor Cole grew up on a council estate in Devon and is of Armenian heritage, via her maternal grandmother who survived the Armenian genocide as a child refugee. When she was twenty-one, Taylor left university to run away to Cyprus and live in a men's barrack block with her military boyfriend, but returned the next year to finish her BA in English, which she followed with a master's degree in Creative Writing. She lives in Newquay with the military boyfriend-turned-husband, two daughters and an eighty-year-old tortoise called Shelley who was found wandering the streets of Plymouth in 1958.

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £0.99 (GBP)
PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Read for NetGalley:

When I originally saw the cover, title, and front blurb, I was worried this was going to be a Beach Read knock off.

I was pleasantly surprised that other than the title, there was very little connection to Henry's wonderful (and in a good way).

Candice, trying to make a name for herself in a startup surf business in Cornwall, long ways from Hawaii and her cheating husband, is working on finding herself. While she seems to make new friends working as a waitress, after some twists and turns, she is given the opportunity to fulfill some of her dreams working alongside an author.

This novel packed a lot of feelings, fun characters, and sweetness of finding one's self so very far away from home.

Really enjoyable read.

I loved the concept and the character interaction! I also adored the nerdy references! I loved the character chemistry! Will definitely read another books by the author!

Romance reader Candice met romance writer Alexis. She thought that she was in love until she realized that he was using her as inspiration for the book he was struggling to write.

Love Candice and Alexis. The agent Daniel is terrific as well. Great chemistry altogether. A great plot for anyone who loves to read- especially terrific for romance book lover.

Thanks to the publisher for the arc.

I really enjoyed this. A bit surprised by some of the less favourable reviews. It does frustrate me when people review badly and then critique when they didn't even nearly finish the story. One here criticises the jacket for suggesting it's set on a beach when it's not(?) It's set in Newquay, a major beach town in the UK! But you can't set literally every scene on the beach. Where would the characters sleep?

I found the relationships between the heroine and Alexis and Daniel really engaging, and the dialogue is brilliant. So funny in places. Demi in particular is great. I did find Candice a bit grating at times, but overall she won me over.

I'd read more by this author.

I was drawn in by the beautiful cover and the fun title of this story! Then I was a bit concerned this was going to be a carbon copy of Beach Read but was happy it wasnt! After that initial thought, I didn't compare the novels once. This was my first novel from Taylor Cole and I loved it. It was fun and sweet but also found myself loving the characters and rooting for the couple!

Holiday Read by Taylor Cole was an excellent rom-com.

Wow, this was different than I expected.
I knew just by looking at the cover and reading the synopsis this was going to be a fun time.
This was very cute, and surprisingly really enjoyable.
The romance and a bit of the humour was great IMO.
The characters kept my attention and kept reading.
Overall, I liked it.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Aria & Aries,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this eARC!

A strange read. Got better. Did not like the sexual word references. Had the makings of a 5 star book. I reviewed it. No. The main character came to Cornwall to find her birth father. She was surfer who had also escaped an abuse marriage. . She had lost her mother and found a lovely community in Cornwall and had dreams of being a writer . I won’t spoil the plot. It had a neat ending but just did not flow .

A quick, easy and enjoyable read that I read in one sitting. It was well written with a good storylibne and well developed characters that I really liked.

“Also, if I had time to spare, I’d use it to read a few more pages of the Unhoneymooners”
“There is my future, there is my chance, and I am here to take my shot”
Never too late to read a summer romance, right? Even if you’re closer to winter than the actual summer season but … who cares when you’re reading such a good book!!
I had real fun reading this book. A romance story worthy of Beach Read but where the main couple is not what it first seems !!!
Candice’s story went from betrayal to trying to figure out who she is and what she wants from her life and her past and I loved how much supportive and fun were the people around her when she is in Cornwall. A romance reader meets an author and his agent … what can go wrong right??
Honestly Alexis was such a crazy amazing character to meet and Daniel … well … I’m in love !! I don’t have anything to say.
I really liked how the author developed both the main plot of the story and the romance in it.
I’m really thankful I had the chance to read it and I cannot wait for this one to be out !!!
“It’s simple enough. Everyone loves romance”
“Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves”

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes, the characters could get annoying sometimes- the author did a great job of making Alexis a complete jerk that you just wanted to reach into the book and smack. And yes, the ending did feel a bit rushed… too many strings to tie together, I think, to satisfy all the loose ends. But overall, I found myself highlighting entire passages that spoke to me (some probably because they discussed my favorite author, Jane Austen), and that definitely elevates a book in my humble opinion. I’ll be looking forward to additional works from this author.

Completed this in a day🤩

A much needed Holiday Read🏖🍹
You'll LOVE it<333

THANK YOU SO MUCH NETGALLEY, AUTHOR & THE PUBLISHER FOR THE eARC.

This book felt so casual and a little aloof until suddenly it didn’t. I felt like it was a light and breezy read with a borderline sinister undertone, and then suddenly it was a whirlwind of secrets and urgency and miscommunications. And I loved it.

The ending felt a little rushed, like I could have spent a few more days watching the loose ends get tidied up, but ultimately I liked the neatness after the lovely mess of a middle and all the complexities that came with it.

I really liked the vibe. It was sunny, funny and reminded me of holidays. I also liked the characters even though I would have like more depth in their personality. But the writing was cool, so was the story.

This was such a fun read. The chemistry was palpable between the characters and I loved every second.

Great beach read for romance lovers! This was a fun book with likable characters- will definitely be reading more from this author!

What a privilege to read this as an advance copy! This would be a great book to read on your holidays! Set in Newquay in Cornwall, Candice is working in a café and also offering surf lessons. Candice has left her husband in Hawaii and is in Newquay for a specific reason which isn’t revealed at first so it kept me intrigued as to what her story was. Whilst working in the café she comes across Alexis, a stranger who sets himself up to work from one the tables. Its not until Alexis books a surf lesson that they really start to get to know each other. Everything is not as it seems though, and I loved how this developed throughout the book and the turns it took and how Candice’s life takes an unexpected turn. I was hooked on the story and how this story developed it’s a really light read and there are many laugh out loud moments in the book.
I loved reading about Newquay and enjoyed how the characters came to life, I wasn’t a fan of Makayla at first but she soon grew on me and I enjoyed the humour that her character brings to the story. I loved the friendships that developed and how the stories all pulled together for a great ending. Recommend this book, light, funny, intriguing with great characters,

It was a cute read. Like the characters of the couple. must read this book. go and read this now. read it today if you can. A total new fan.

Absolutely fantastic plot! Could not put the book down once I began reading it. Cannot wait for it to be released. Will recommend it to everyone I know!

Pleasantly surprised, had more substance than anticipated. Great musical references. Will recommend to my romcom readers.

I love the holidays, beaches, and fantastic characters. This book had everything. I loved it and I cannot wait for the next book from this author. It gave me beach reading vibes and I would love to be sitting on a beach with a cup of iced tea, reading this book.

This book was a 4 star for me. It was just ok. It wasn't a book that left me wanting more when I put it down or finished it. It wasn't bad, the writing is very good. I thought that the concept was really good, fake dating while helping the other finish their book. I like it, I just wish that it had grabbed me more.
Share Socially
I just reviewed Holiday Read by Taylor Cole. #HolidayRead #NetGalley
[NetGalley URL]

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this arc read! This romance was full of little twists that I did not expect! I also had no idea where the romance part of it was going at some times which kept me on my toes. There were so many lovable characters and different personalities throughout the story to make it an easy and fun read!

Started quoted interesting and then I was like “what in all the world?” I pressed through and it was quite a satisfying read. There are fun references to other books that make my literary heart happy.

Thank you, Aria & Aries and NetGalley, for an advanced copy!

This book had me on the fence for the first 25%. After that, I felt too invested in the characters to put the book down. This wasn't necessarily a fast read for me, but I still finished it in less than a week. If you're looking for a fast-paced read, this isn't it, but if you're down to go for a stroll with an enjoyable read, you found your book. There were twists and turns that I did not expect, and when I though the book was going to go one way, it through me for a loop and went the other way much like the curveballs that life will throw at you.

Our main character, Candice, runs away from her dead-end marriage in Hawaii to take on a new adventure and find her long-lost father in Cornwall. While waiting tables and running a struggling surf shop, Candice meets Alexis who is in the process of writing a romance novel, but much like the surf shop, the struggle is real. The two make a deal for Candice to help Alexis with his book, but we all know that catastrophe will await them including the entrance of Alexis's agent, Daniel. Will the marriage work itself out? Will the book get finished? Will Candice find her dad? Read on, my friend. Read on.

I loved this romance story -- it will be the perfect summer beach read!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an eARC.

This was a winsome story about a woman taking charge of her life after things went completely off the rails.
Candice moves to Cornwall from Hawaii after her mothers dies and her husband admits to cheating on her with her best friend.
She finds a job in a cafe and the owner, Demi, lets her keep her camper van (the only accommodation she can afford) on the property. She also tries to start up a surfing lessons business.
She becomes attracted to an author,Alexis, trying to write his next book, but this quickly fizzles out when she finds he was just using her for his story.
Her friends and found family Makayla and Demi are great characters and all about empowering each other and being true to themselves. They are there for her when she finds out about Alexis, and also when her ex Joseph comes looking for her.
Alexis, the would be romance author, is truly an unlikable character in this book. He is sexist and selfish and an elitist. But in the end, his agent convinces Candice to work with Daniel as coauthor on the book.
This is not an especially fast paced book but I adored following Candice on her journey of self discovering and with her friendships with Makayla and Demi. And she also just might find a new love with someone unexpected. This book will be released July 2023.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this arc in exchange for my honest review.

A wonderful read. When Candace comes to the UK, she is escaping her cheating husband and best friend. She is also on a mission to find her father, who was from the Cornwall area. Meeting Alexis and Daniel, she is confronted with two possible love interests. Good read, and was hard to put down. Highly recommend.

I love novels about writing a novel! The Holiday Read is a heart-warming, complex and sweet novel about what it means to leave behind everything you know and set out in search of yourself and your past. Candice left Hawaii for the Cornish coast, determined to start her own surfing business alongside her new eclectic friends. She meets Alexis, a handsome author with the biggest case of writer’s block who suddenly finds inspiration in Candice. Candice has to decide if she can trust Alexis and his editor, Daniel, who suddenly appears to oversee the writing process. This book is so much more than a simple love story. Cast with a fantastic slew of multi-dimensional characters, The Holiday Read takes readers on Candice’s complicated journey of self discovery. I enjoyed Taylor Cole’s writing style and release date of early May will make the Holiday Read perfect for summer indulgence everywhere!

A sincere thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I am fascinated by surfing. I've always enjoyed stories with characters who are surfers (Malibu Rising, anyone?) and this book definitely fit that niche! I know that's an odd thing for someone who's never even been to the ocean, let alone tried to surf. I just find the whole sport and culture fascinating!

That's one of the reasons I find Candace so appealing. I can't imagine anywhere more odd to teach surfing than Cornwall! Add to that her delightful personality quirks, and you've got a top tier main character!

There are lots and lots of unique nerdy references scattered throughout the story, from Dungeons and Dragons to Pride and Prejudice, from Thundercats to The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Something for everyone, you know. 😉

I love how meta this book is. It is, after all, a book about authors writing a book about authors that might make a great movie. Definitely a theme that romcom readers will understand!

This book arrives in stores during the summer holidays, which is perfect! This is the best kind of fun beach read that all of us reach for in July!

I found this book super interesting. There is a lot more depth here than the usual meet-cute romcom, and I found the main character of Hawaiian surfer turned waitress Candice interesting and engaging.

This book offered more that the usual cute fluff, and made for a nice addition to the romance genre.

This book came full circle for me and it was done is a way that showed many different sides of the main character.

If you like Emily Henry this book is for you, happy ending with quite a few twists. This book could be seen as a slow burn but if you stick it out you maybe happy that you did. I would love to know who will do the audio of this book it just might make a difference how people see this book overall.

I really, really enjoyed this book! It reeled me in from the very first chapter and kept me hooked the entire time.

For fans of Beach Read! All the summer, vacation, sunshine vibes. Highly recommend for a vacation read!

A fun and uplifting book, funny and romantic and a great beach read. The characters in the story are great, I loved the location and the storyline is fun and laugh out loud funny too.

This was a fun read! A romance with just the right amount of mystery mixed in. There were many supporting characters that added to the story, enough that you could hope for spin-off stories in the future! The ending did leave me wondering more about her husband, do they get divorced before the money for her joint novel starts coming in or will she have to split that 50/50 with him?!

I really liked this book because it reminded me of Emily Henry’s Beach Read. Even the cover is similar.

I was really excited to read this and I absolutely loved this book. The character development was great and it was a great little read during the winter. It reminds me of the beach.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an arc.

An American abroad to escape her marriage opens a surf school, lives in her van, and waitresses in a local cafe, where she meets a hot author on holiday. Alexis is struggling to finish his work in progress, a romance novel. His agent thinks a summer fling will jumpstart his creative juices and Candice falls for it until she discovers he’s transcribing their interactions as fiction. She’s pissed until his agent Daniel shows up, makes an appeal and an apology, and suggests they write the book together, since it turns out Candice can write. Many adventures follow as Alexis and Candice try to get into the head of their characters, and the romance focus shifts from assholey Alexis to stalwart Daniel.

There are several subtle mysteries: what happened in Candice’s marriage? Why did she flee from Hawaii to Cornwall-–is it really just the surf scene? Details are unraveled with masterful pacing. The novel reads more like literary fiction with strong romantic elements than a romance novel for most of the tale; it’s really about Candice’s growth, self-confidence, boundaries, and the strong friendships she makes. The romance is slow building and consummated off the page. The author pays some homage to the creation and defense of romance novels (clearly the author is a Christina Lauren fan, and I’m dying to know which romance with a red stiletto heel on the cover she references). Cole has has some very beautiful thoughtful passages throughout the book, the waxing on about sand and what is means to Candice (and what it didn’t mean to her ex, Joseph) is downright lyrical. The setting of Cornwall came to life beautifully through the descriptions of the places the characters visited. While the surf details are thorough and the seaside setting undeniable, I would not classify this as a beach read or an Emily Henry readalike.

Alexis was an unsympathetic character and not terribly likeable, and if the reader can’t suspend their disbelief at Candice’s forgiveness, it will be an easy book to drop. I powered through to see if my suspicion about the love interest would pan out.

I received a free advance reader’s review copy of #HolidayRead from #NetGalley.

“When I look up again, he places his hands gently on the curve of my waist and meets my gaze. I can feel his strength drawing me toward him and I can hardly breathe.”
4,5⭐️/5
pov: 1st person pov

Thank you to the publishers, the author and Netgalley for an eARC of this book. My review is my own opinion.
I loved this book so much, first the summer vibes of it were amazing. I loved Candice so much, I also really loved the fact that you don’t know with who she will end up with. Like you think that she will be with someone but maybe not.

A Fair four-star read. This one surprised me, I think I was expecting too much, as I had such high hopes in this story, it started a little slowly and I found the main characters to be mostly unlikable for the start of the story, I did grow to like some of them. I like the underlying themes of finding and loving yourself and some great feelings that will make you smile that is what made this story for me, without that I wouldn’t have finished it.

After reading some scathing reviews of Taylor Cole’s Holiday Read, I had lower expectations that I would enjoy this romance. However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the novel. I would give it 3.5 stars.

I am glad that I didn’t DNF the book like many reviewers did because once I was past the first 1/3 of the book and as the plot twist started to occur, I became invested in the book and had to see how it ends.

I loved Candice and her two supportive friends. The small Cornish town in which the book is set was charming and beautifully described. I totally wanted to visit the town, see the sights and hang out at Demigorgon. Maybe I would even take surf lessons from Candice.

Yes, other reviewers are correct that Alexis is a total chauvinistic pig and awful— but when juxtaposed with the other warm and respectful male characters in the book, Alexis seems like a miserable, horrible, unlikeable, and lonely human being.

Thank you to NetGalley and Aries for the eARC in exchange for my honest feedback.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me this for my honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and perfect for my morning commutes.

A truly fun rom-com that offers readers something extra -- it lets readers in on the whole process of actually writing a romance novel, as the main character offers to let her friend use her life and story as inspiration for his next book. I look forward to recommending this book to readers who like contemporary romances with lots of humor and witty back and forth -- Emily Henry comes to mind for sure. Great story! Perfect beach read for anytime of year.

I feel like I am in the minority by saying that I actually enjoyed this book. I did manage to finish and and was pleased with the person our female lead ends up with. We all know Alexis is a total douche canoe and I completely understand why everyone was upset and triggered. It probably wasn’t the best to have them both be at that level of inebriated in order to progress their romantic involvement. However I think she also shouldn’t have gone through his personal writings. Sure, she wasn’t upset that her friends went through her journal, but they were also more well acquainted with one another. Just because it didn’t bother her, doesn’t mean it was the right thing to do. Definitely not defending him because he was pretty awful, but he can write what he pleases in privacy. Also, although the romantic scene was a bit awkward, he was not actively forcing himself on her (again, I get they were both drunk and probably should have waited for a better time to explore their interest in one another).

That being said, it did not deter me from finishing the story. I think the ending paid off. The story progresses past the two horrible men in the story until finally finding the right one for our female lead. I wanted to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book. I appreciate the opportunity.

It is a cute book. It is definitely a nice summer read that anyone can enjoy on the beach or by the pool. Nice characters and a decent plot. Nothing super remarkable but a good endearing book overall.

I really loved the relaxed and beach vibe feel of this book, set in Newquay and with all the requisite surf & seaside references.
Candice was a likeable, authentic character to me, her complicated history and love shy approach to life was in direct odds with her love of reading romance books & Jane Austen. There was a lot going on for her but I felt I truly connected with her story and I adored her relationship with her friends Mikayla and Demi who were the dream sisterhood.
The book threw a curveballl halfway which I really enjoyed and the simmering chemistry was built up well. I laughed out loud several times with the witty banter and comic happenings and found it ultimately a book about self discovery and finding your true path in life.

This book gave me Beach Read by Emily Henry vibes, but not in the way that it felt like a rip off of her book. It's more like Beach Read is the big sister and Holiday Read is the little sister. If that makes sense. Similar but still different. I enjoyed reading this story. It was a feel reliable rom com that would probably do well as a movie.

I have read a lot of romance novels, so it's rare when one comes along that surprises me. While I could have predicted the ultimate outcome of this one from the blurb, the journey from start to finish held some unexpected twists. And while it did have the quintessential happily ever after, the characters faced legitimate obstacles and experienced clear growth. I'd definitely read another novel by this author -- the side characters were fun, some of the villains were nuanced and it was easy to root for the main character.

What I loved bout this book is it’s heartwarming propensity to help us see that we can choose our family. That we can curate what works for us. That best friends and family can show up for us in many different ways and help us to see our worth. Anything less and we should and can choose our boundaries, people who don’t respect that, likely have an ulterior motive or not our best at heart.
When surfer Candice moves from Hawaii to Cornwall she is not just escaping her cheating and controlling husband, she’s in search of her ‘dad’, her roots, what to do with her life, but most importantly I’d say, find herself.

Sometimes when we’re looking for something we are too blinded by our obsession of it. I’m also booking my trip to Fistral now, possibly one of the posh DFL ones!

This was a fun read!! I couldn't stop reading this book and it was out in no time!

Thank you to Netgalley and the Aria team for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the summer vibes in this one! Exactly what I needed on a dull winters night and this one did not disappoint!