The Last Party at Silverton Hall

Pub Date 02 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 31 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheLastPartyAtSilvertonHall #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A gripping and heartbreaking tale of family, duty and the secrets we keep from those we love most. Perfect for fans of Rachel Hore, Lorna Cook and Kathryn Hughes.

Two women. Two centuries. A life-changing night...

1952: Vivien and Max collide in the thick London smog. Within a few years, their whirlwind romance sees them living a quiet life on the Norfolk coast, blissfully happy with their beautiful daughter – at least, that's how it appears...

2019: Isobel is hoping for a fresh start when she inherits her beloved grandmother Vivien's house in Silverton Bay. But when she discovers an old photograph of Vivien at one of the infamous parties held at Silverton Hall in the 1950s, Isobel is forced to question how well she really knew her grandmother. Silverton Hall is a place Vivien swore she never went and never would – but why would she lie? And what other secrets was she keeping?

Together with an old friend, Isobel searches for answers. But is she prepared for the truth?

'I was absolutely transported to Silverton Bay... I loved it and wanted to savour every page.' Kath McGurl

Praise for Rachel Burton:
'Enticing and atmospheric... Packed with love and mystery that will keep you wanting more from the first page to the last' Lauren North, author of Safe at Home
'A wonderful escape... I adored the characters, the headiness of their first loves, and vulnerabilities as they hoped for their own happily-ever-afters' Jenny Ashcroft
'With her signature nostalgia, swoon-worthy hero and wistful setting, this is a romance to whisk you away any time of the year' Victoria Cooke

Two women. Two centuries. A...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £4.99 (GBP)
PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I enjoyed this story set in two different time periods. A woman inherits her grandmother's home by the sea, a place that she had she spent happier times at. Circumstances change and she returns to sort out her grandmother's belongings and discovers secrets about her grandparents and a town that held their secrets. Highly enjoyable, I will recommend to my friends.

Isobel sees her chance to start her life over when she inherits her grandmother’s home in Silverton Bay, but as she settles in, she discovers her a photograph of her grandmother at one of the glamorous parties at Silverton Hall in the 1950s. Vivien had always told her granddaughter that she never went to the Hall, that she wanted nothing to do with it. So how does Isobel square this photo with what her grandmother told her? Told in alternating story time lines with dual narrators, this was an enjoyable, evocative Great House story

The Last Party at Silverton Hall is a delight from start to finish. Most of the story is set in the fictional Norfolk coastal village of Silverton but is based on Old Hunstanton which I have many happy childhood memories of, the other is historical 50's London during the Great Smog.
Rachel does a fantastic job of seamlessly blending the dual timeline stories of Vivien in the 50's post-war era and modern day Isobel, her granddaughter who returns to Silverton after Vivien's death.
Inevitably, whilst sorting out her grandmother's dilapidated house, secrets and memories of the past of many kinds are unearthed, some more welcome than others. The grand hall overlooking the bay of the village is newly renovated but it's history holds the key to so much of both Isobel's and Vivien's own past. This is Isobel's second chance at happiness, if she can figure out exactly where her heart lies.
I found this a warm and captivating story with perfect settings and enchanting characters all nestled within a beautiful second-chance romance.

The Last Party at Silverton Hall by Rachel Burton

A wonderful dual timeline story . We have Vivian in 1952 and Isobel in more present day.
Isobel has inherited Silverton Hall from her grandmother and decided to go there and begin sorting through her grandmother's and the Hall's secrets.
What will she discover and how will the secrets effect Isobels life now ?
Great characters and the author really managed to capture the atmosphere of both times.
Very enjoyable.

I read a lot of books in the mystery genre, but I also enjoy historical fiction, and more recently, I have been enjoying time-slip novels by authors like Nicola Cornick and Kate Morton. From the description, I thought this book sounded like something similar to these, which was why it sparked my interest. The cover design also appealed to me - I think the illustration and the colours are beautiful.

I did like this book a lot. From the beginning, I thought the writing was elegant but simplistic. Not overly descriptive, or telling the reader too much all at once. As I continued reading, I found that parts of the story tugged at my heartstrings. I could relate to Isobel and identify with some elements of her personality, and one of the other characters, Nick, reminded me of someone I knew. As a reader, when you realise that a character reminds you of yourself, or someone else, the characters and the story can feel more real to you.

Another thing that I loved about this was how comforting it felt, like a book that I would choose to escape in. I would recommend this to anyone who likes historical fiction or time-slip novels, and I would probably be interested in reading some more books by this author. Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for a free copy to review.

Hauntingly beautiful story about family secrets. Set both in the 1950’s and 2019, we meet Vivien a young and naive woman who marries handsome and secretive Max, and in 2019 we meet Isobel who is grieving her grandmother Vivien. As Isobel tries to cope with her grief and the daunting task of restoring her grandmother’s house, helped by Nick, she stumbles across some photographs that seem to suggest that her Mother and Grandmother have lied to her about the past.
Beautifully written, intriguing characters, lost loves, betrayal and lies. This book captivated me and I read it in two sittings, eager to uncover the truth at the end. Fabulous and highly recommended. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

An engaging and slightly mysterious dual timeline story. Isobel's grandmother dies and leaves her seaside home to her grand-daughter. This starts Isobel's investigation into her grandmother's life and it soon becomes clear that there is lots that Isobel did not know about her grandmother. Set in the 1950s and the modern day, this is a warm and engaging story with a sense of mystery threaded through it. With characters that you can really warm to, I find myself reading on keen to find out how the story would be resolved. A thoroughly enjoyable read!

THE LAST PARTY AT SILVERTON HALL is an intriguing and satisfying dual timeline novel. Whereas dual timelines can sometimes be tricky as one storyline lags behind the other, Rachel Burton did a great job with this one. Both Isobel's (roughly) present-day story and Vivien's 1950s story are equally interesting.

I also enjoyed how the houses, particularly Silverton Hall (now a hotel) and Little Clarion (the house Isobel inherits from her grandmother) play a role in the story. The seaside village is such a lovely and charming location.

It's also clever how Vivien is dealing with disappointment as a newlywed and Isobel is reconnecting with a friend from her girlhood.

Isobel's mother, Gina, was interesting, but we don't really get to know her until the end of the book.

Both Isobel and Nick have secrets they're hiding from each other, and they're learning how to deal with life's disappointments. In many ways, this becomes a theme of the novel: how to cope with life's twists and turns.

I think the novel was a little on the long side, and some parts felt a little repetitive. This minor quibble aside, I definitely recommend THE LAST PARTY AT SILVERTON HALL for fans of historical fiction. I look forward to digging into this author's backlist.

Well written with a compelling storyline set over a dual timeline with a dual narrative and a fantastic setting and well developed character. A great immersive read.

A really well told tale mixing the past of Vivien and her life and what appeared to be glorious days with Isobel. We unwind the Ruth of Vivian’s life and the drip feeding of the truth is well done and kept me hanging on, torn between racing ahead to sort face from fiction, and savouring the suspense.

This was a beautifully written story about grief, regret, missed opportunities and a sense of failure. I loved the intertwining of the past and present and felt a connection with both women. I don't want to spoil anything, all I can say it's a must read

I love to see this book its a good story. It goes between two stories between the girl Isobel main character and her grandmother back in the day and she inherits her grandmothers old house. Everything is rotting in there and old. I loved the seaside village it sounds quaint and nice.
It was a great read and the story was really good i loved the mysteries.

I love Rachel Burton's story telling - the soothing narrative makes for easy reading and the chapters whizz past; causing it's own issues as I want to make the story last as long as possible whilst simultaneously being unputdownable!

An intriguing tale which keeps you guessing about what the long hidden secret is, whilst still absorbing your attention in the activity in the present day.

Would definitely recommend.

Dual timeline which was very well written and made you fall in love with multiple characters in the novel. It was a wonderful reading experience and will be a bookclub recommendation in 2023.

The dual timeline made this book so much richer. I really enjoyed Vivian’s tale set in the smog of London and the crisp fresh air of the Norfolk coast. I would have liked to have read more about Isobel and Vivien’s relationship and less about how Isobel felt about Nick. Yes, we knew she still had feelings for him, it wasn’t necessary to point it out every time they set eyes on each. And he was just as bad.
Having a little less of that repetition would have made way for more back story and family drama. Maybe some more on Gina and Vivien’s relationship. Also take us back to the summer of 2000 and let us experience Isobel and Nick’s burgeoning romance.
It was a good read and the setting was wonderfully written. I loved Rachel Burton’s last book and look forward to reading her next one.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.

Rachel Burton crafts a quaint and thought provoking story in "The Last Party at Silverton Hall." Touching on issues of class, gender, and social expectations, this story moves back and forth in time with ease and sincerity. A great read for anyone who is looking for a heartwarming story or anyone who is feeling a bit lost themselves.

I raced through this book - always a good sign. I've not read anything by this author before but I really enjoyed it. Loved the combination of romance and mystery - it kept me guessing. Loved the seaside setting too and the dual timeline. I'd definitely read more by this author. Thanks for the ARC.

Nice plot,good use of describing the surrounding area and people.
Definitely a book to come up to during the winter months.

The grand estate, Silverton Hall, and the beautiful Silverton Bay setting may be fictional but the truths held here are applicable across time and place. Burton has set this story in a unique part of world history and bookended it by the war on one side and the swinging 60s on the other.

She has chosen to showcase this story through dual timelines and one doesn’t have to read too far before realizing that, in doing so, she’s shown that this is when a dual timeline shines! As Burton enlightens readers on the Great Smog of December 1952 it also serves to provide perfect juxtaposition for the fresh, salty air of seaside Norfolk. This contrast is also mirrored in the second chances; both for the languishing estate and for Isobel.

Like the author, I often look at old homes and think about the voice of the past. If you are with me, you’ll often hear me say, “...if only those walls could talk…the secrets they’d share!” This was a special book about an estate home and the secrets held within its walls. No matter how much we wish the past could remain hidden, we need to face the fact that the ripple effects of events still affect us many years later.

The author explores secrets, fresh starts and the burden of duty alongside family legacy in this tale involving two women, two centuries and one life changing night.

What happened during the last party at Silverton Hall? You’ll have to read to find out what secrets and mysteries the grand old lady is hiding.

I was gifted this copy by Aria & Aries and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.

A wonderfully crafted dual timeline story set by the sea.

In the historical part of the story, we get to learn Vivien's story set in 1950's London where she meets a man in the great smog and their romance ensues. And soon they marry and she moves to their new home on the coast.

In the current day part, we meet Isobel, Vivien's granddaughter, who has just inherited the estate after Vivien passes. In the midst of her life going crazy, she packs up and moves to the coast to renovate her grandmother's home. There she finds mystery, love, and questions about her family's history.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for a temporary, digital ARC in return for my review.

I was really impressed with the way that the author began the story, it drew me in pretty much straight away not only with the main story of the grandmother but also the mystery surrounding the characters back stories. I found that there was a perfect balance of things being revealed throughout the book that made for an extremely satisfying read.

I thought that the way the book flashed between the past and the present was really well done, sometimes I feel like flashbacks can detract from the main story but this book managed to pull it off seamlessly. Really really impressed with this author and I will be reading more.

Set between 1952 and 2019. It tells the story of Isobel and her grandmother Vivien. Lots of mysteries and puzzles.

An enjoyable dual timeline novel to savor. In the 1950s, Vivian meets a man in smog-filled London and they move to Silverton Bay. Years later in present day, her granddaughter Isobel inherits Vivian's house and in sorting through things discovers that Vivian and her mother Gina may have been keeping secrets about the past. The "secrets" are not exactly mind blowing but lend a mild air of suspense as you read through this sumptuous novel.

Though the story is majorly told through Rachel's POV, it feels like Vivien's story more than anything. Vivien's story is unfortunately not a happy one, and as a result, there is an undercurrent of angst, or sadness, through the entire book. Vivien is beautifully written, and I liked her character best, even though her story is heart-wrenching.
In comparison, Nick and Isobel have an ordinary, kinda straightforward and sweet love story. Some of the interactions between Nick and Isobel feel immature at times, even given their respective traumatic histories, but all's well that ends well!

All in all, this is a great read. The writing is genuinely good and flows well, the alternating past and current storylines gel together well without feeling clunky or annoying. Isobel and Nick do have a decent level of chemistry. Nick is very crush-worthy. Most of the characters, including secondary ones have quite a bit of trauma, which the book only partially resolves, which is fair, since these are not issues that can ever be fully resolved, realistically speaking.

I wish Max Chambers had died in the smog before he met Vivien.

Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for the ARC!

3.5 stars. This was a good read, BUT just didn’t hit the mark for me. I think I was expecting a different story and that is why it wasn’t as good for me as the other reviews said. Sometimes I get into my head that a book is going to go one way and then it doesn’t and that, unfortunately, really hurts my opinion of the book. This is what happened with this book.
Go into this book with a clear head and I am sure that you will love it.
Thank you the publishers and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Wow I loved this book I just brought myself more of her books I loved the dual time line Vivien the grandma had died her story is a heart wrenching tale it got lots of twists as you read it as flashs back from past to present it so good how it was done .Vivien what was she hiding a what secrets are kept in the home she left isobel what bring the story to light it the secrets. isobel was a strong character it had fantastic settings I could see it all in my mind isobel was a wonderful character I felt she was lost did you ?. Nick was a great characters as well I liked there relationship it was set out so well both he a past I like the twist and suspense.i felt for the whole family it a good read
It so well written I just loved it I recommend to you I really enjoy the dual time line books
I recommend to you all great

Finding yourself after a hard few years takes a lot of work and some great friends. Finding the love of your life after a number of years apart is magic. Lovely story!

The Last Party at Silverton Hall is a beautifully written and engaging story by a new-to-me author. It tells the story of Isobel and her grandmother Vivien who live in a seaside town in the UK and when Vivien dies, she leaves her home to Isobel. During the renovations of the home, Isobel learns of secrets in her family (through a dual timeline that features Vivien during the time after WWII) and works on mending the rift between herself and her mother. There's more to the story than that but no spoilers - just a recommendation to read. The book offers likeable characters and the happy ending I love so much. My only complaint is that once I reached the end of the novel, I would have liked just one more chapter as it ended kind of abrubtly.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

A thoroughly enjoyable read, especially the dual timelines. The actual plot came to play when Isobel discovered the photograph of her grandmother. Though the story was entertaining right till the end the mystery part of it was obvious right from the middle which made the pace slow

This is a story of missed opportunities, buried secrets, manipulation and wrong decisions.
A story of families that could not connect because of wrong decisions, words unspoken and truths denied.
When Isobel inherits her Grandmothers estate in Silverton Bay it comes at a low time in Isobel’s life. Finding old photographs and memories, not to mention an old flame help Isobel to to find a purpose in life and reconnect with her mother.
A heart warming story which kept me enthralled on a long journey.

I received a free copy of, The Last Party at Silverton Hall, by Rachel Burton, from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book goes back and forth between 1952 and 2019, and some years in between, Isobel finds her Grandmothers diary, she finds out a lot of secrets she did not know. I enjoyed this read, going back to Vivien and then Isobel, a really nice read.

There were many things I liked about this book.

Vivien is a young woman who marries in the 1950’s. She moves to a large home, in a small town by the sea. She has never been away from London. She lives in the small town for the rest of her life. She learns to love the sea and also becomes happy in her small town.

Gina is Vivien’s daughter. She gets away from the small town and her mother as quickly as she can. She and her husband live in the States in New York City. After the terror attack on 9 / 11, Gina never flies again. But, she also uses that as an excuse to not visit her mother.

Isobel is Gina’s daughter. She lived most of her life with Vivien, her grandmother. She loved the small town and the sea. She returns to start a new life when her grandmother dies and leaves her the house and some money.

The story goes from the 1950’s and Vivien’s life to 2019 and Isobel’s life.

One of the things I liked, Ms Burton made it clear where we were in time. I liked that very much.

Ms Burton writes beautifully. Her descriptions and atmosphere are quite lovely. She creates characters who are fully formed. And since I am a character driven reader, that is a wonderful thing to me.

I wanted Vivien, Gina and Isobel to be stronger women at times. I understood that Vivien was out of her element for a time, but then disappointed when she became so submissive? Her husband was a distant and cold person and that had a lot to do with Vivien’s way of life.

Women in the 1950’s were not as powerful as women are today. I am not familiar with the situations in England at the time, but it sounds like a very difficult period for women.

At times, Gina was not confident about life in general and her life in particular. Gina led a very privileged life. She carried a great deal of resentment toward her mother. Forgiveness was not her strong suit.

I liked Isobel very much. She gradually pulls herself up and gets on the path to a new life. She works hard to become the person she had dreamed she would be.

This is a book about family relationships. This is a book about learning to love yourself. This is a book about how family history is sometimes surprising and always interesting.

And most of all this is a book about learning to love family even when they are not lovable.

I received the book from the publisher through NetGalley. I am voluntarily writing this review and all opinions are completely my own.

I don’t usually like books with dual time lines but this worked really well. Families can be complicated and often solutions to problems arrive too late due to miscommunication.

I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first half as this is where a family mystery comes to light. The characters are likeable, the setting of the book is very descriptive and it is certainly a book I would recommend

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Set in 2 time periods we read the split story of Vivien and Max, and Isobel and Nick.

Vivien dies and leaves Isobel her 5 bedroom Victorian house in Norfolk. She also leaves her money to do the place up with a stipulation that she cannot sell it for 13 months.

In the past Vivien is walking through a very smog filled London, her hat blows off, and she bumps into Max.

Both of these women are linked by their pasts, but also by their secrets, and Isobel begins to investigate whats going on and how it all fits together.

I love these kind of historical fiction/split timeline/family secret books. Kate Morton is the master, but The Last Party at Silverton Hall is an excellent entry into the category.

Isobel inherits her grandmother Vivien's house in Silverton Bay. When sorting through the house, she finds an old photograph of Vivien at one of the famous parties at Silverton Hall. Isobel questions how much she really knows about her beloved grandmother and what sorts of secrets she's kept to herself all along....

This was the perfect read for a cozy weekend. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Isabel is excited about inheriting her late aunts house. When Isabel finds a picture of her aunt attending a party at a place she said she never went, Isabel decided she needs answers. The more she learns, the more questions she has. Thus book wasxa quick read.

What a brilliant book.
It was such a good read. I loved how it dipped through many histories and kept it flipping seamlessly through many peoples histories.
Isobel has returned home to her Grandparents house by the sea. Her enigmatic Grandmother has died and left her the house and her estate. It’s looking in a tatty state.she’s overwhelmed both with sadness and the amount to do.
Her mother won’t travel from fear after 9/11 and so it’s left sown to her.
The stories of her mother and father interwoven through history and also others are really interesting.
I loved this book.

Thankyou netgalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review.

A book about family and finding out about what lies beneath the surface of a person. An interesting read. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book.