Famous for a Living

Pub Date 16 May 2023 | Archive Date 16 Jun 2023

Talking about this book? Use #FamousforaLiving #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

She’s Insta-famous. He uses a flip phone.

When her business partner is accused of serious financial crimes, superstar influencer Cat Cranwell—an engineered marvel of beauty, energy, and fun—falls from her penthouse perch. Desperate to get away from the online trolls and paparazzi documenting her disgrace, Cat accepts her uncle’s offer to work with him in Kannery National Park. Montana. And about as far as possible from life as she's known it.

Cat’s world shifts from the swirling haze of likes and comments to literal blizzards of frostbite temperatures and waist-deep snow. In place of negotiating brand deals she finds herself negotiating at the ledge of a frozen lake with her die-hard Polar Bear Plunge coworkers. Instead of padding through the marble kitchen of her Manhattan loft, she's sharing a tent-sized cabin with a roommate eager to bond like characters in sitcoms. But something curious is also happening in this overwhelming breath of fresh air as she reacquaints with the most honest parts of herself and begins to ask the hard questions. Can Cat love herself with, and without, the world watching?

Then there’s that other tiny problem—she’s falling for Zaiah, the ruggedly handsome Park Ranger—and he hates anything remotely connected to social media, quite possibly her included.

Written with bestselling author Melissa Ferguson’s signature wit and charm, this laugh-out-loud romantic comedy of opposites attract is full of hilarious romp and a romance that will melt readers’ hearts.

She’s Insta-famous. He uses a flip phone.

PAGES 336

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I couldn't put this book down! I loved every second of it. Fergusons writing is unlike any other and I honestly can't wait to read more of her books. the characters are well fleshed out and I never wanted it to end.

I have read a couple of the author’s other books, Meet Me In the Margins and Cul-de-Sac Wars. This is by far my favorite. The growth Cat shows in the book is believable and relatable as is the subject matter. I love that the author used the novel to bring light to a very real problem. I have seen bits and pieces of myself in characters before but I have not connected with an issue the way I have with this book. I have never thought about my own actions and made a plan to change them. Thank you.

Another cute rom com with a unique plot! Love the way Melissa Ferguson weaves interesting locations and information into her stories. You walk away with a smile and knowing about new things. The romance always adds to the story. Ferguson has become one of my favorites. Definitely woth the read. A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher, Thomas Nelson, and author for me to read. The opinions expressed are my own.

This was a really captivating read, it reminded me a lot of "Funny You Should Ask", and if you enjoy celebrity romances, you should definitely check it out!

I absolutely loved Melissa Ferguson’s last book, Meet Me in the Margins (my favorite romance of 2022!) and was excited to get this ARC of her 2023 release. Famous for a Living is a sweet romance that deals with a heavy and timely topic - our society’s addiction to social media. Cat is a successful social media influencer who has a spectacular fall from grace and flees to her uncle’s remote home at a national park in Montana to recharge and remember what is important in life. She grows to love the slow pace of small town living and her quirky fellow co-workers, especially the stoic and handsome park ranger, Zaiah.

I loved so many things about this book - the realistic found family of the park rangers, especially her adorable roommate, the spectacular landscape descriptions, and the slow burn of the romance with Zaiah. He is truly the perfect man - strong yet sensitive, principled yet caring. Who wouldn’t fall for him?

The setting was perfect, especially since I had visited Montana several years ago and could mentally picture the breathtaking vistas and snowy peaks myself. I am similar to Cat, not a huge fan of roughing it, so I understood her reluctance at the beginning of her time there. I love how she grew as a character, from a shallow, vapid influencer always looking for her next “like” to a thoughtful, caring team player.

The ending fed into my general feelings about social media, how insidious it is and how it is negatively affecting our young people in particular. I wish every “influencer” could read this book and realize how much of life they are missing when they are glued to their phones. The storyline with Zaiah and Hannah hit very close to home as a mom of teens, the anxiety over “likes,” the constant checking of stats, etc. It’s all too much for kids, teens, and adults, and I hope through books like this, we can take back control of our digital lives.

I loved the characters so much that I wanted to learn even more about them, especially Uncle Terry and his special relationship with Cat. There was discussion of Cat’s terrible time growing up and how it still affected her, and I would have loved even more (What about Cat’s mother and Zaiah’s father? Where did he get that unusual name?). They were just such a fun group with great camaraderie and laugh out loud interactions, I could have read another 300 pages about them!

Overall it was a big win for me! A sweet romance that packed a moral punch in the best way possible! I’ll definitely be recommending this as a romance to read in 2023!

Typos noted for publisher:
Wrong name for Zaiah at 20% - after car rental, he’s called Eli

Wrong use of word “peak” (should be pique) at 31% (discussion of her coat)

Different spellings of the word “clingy” throughout

Another hit from @our_friendly_farmhouse … I adored the story in this book! Cat and Zaiah were great. They had amazing chemistry and I loved their interactions. I appreciated the fact that while Cat is a influencer from New York, she isn’t portrayed as being a stupid rich girl. She has depth and is very relatable when it comes to social media in everyday life. I highly recommend to everyone!
Overall Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5
Spice Level: 🌶️/5 (a few innocent kisses)
I was provided this copy for free from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A beautiful book that managed to hit a little too close to home- and it would probably knock the wind from your chest, too! This is for anyone who finds themselves automatically looking at their phone when they have a second of downtime or anyone who scrutinizes over which picture to post on their socials. The story follows a social media icon through her darkest moments and, ultimately, her brightest.
This story was such a breath of fresh air and exactly what I needed to be reading at the beginning of the year. This book will have you questioning your choices and habits and it will inspire you to make healthy changes.
I truly thought I was starting a romance but I fell head first into a book that had me wanting to change my life. Is the romance there? Absolutely. And the romance is STUNNING and FULL and HONEST. Do I feel like that’s the best part of this book? Absolutely not. This author has gone above and beyond what is asked and the questionnaire and tips at the end were the icing on the cake.

(Review posted to Goodreads, Books-a-Million, and Barnes and Noble)

I loved Meet Me in the Margins and her newest book was no different.

Famous for a Living by Melissa Ferguson is a charming romance story.

I thought this was a light story. It was very entertaining. And definitely put a smile on my face.
The characters were believable, relatable, and the chemistry between them was phenomenal
Ferguson has delivered once again with her amazing characters who I deeply adored.
Her books are always fun and exciting and always has me up late at devouring every single page.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

A fantastic book! It has a unique story line and great characters! I also LOVED the setting of Montana and have now put it on my bucket list! An honest look into the life of an influencer in today's world. A definite must read!

5 stars

Where Cat Cranwell learns to live her best life.

Watching me start the process of losing those first petals of my youth had been daunting. Terrifying. Until I met Zaiah. And Jax. And Mina. And Kevin. And Peggy. And went to live in a place where people were just too busy living life with the ones they love to worry about such a small thing as skin.

I wasn’t seventeen anymore. I was aging, gracefully albeit, and I was learning to accept it. And for those people who couldn’t, who would leave if I couldn’t meet their impossible standards, then so be it.

"You are without question the best person to cook for."

Initially, I expected this to be a 50% grumpy-sunshine rom-com with lots of witty banter and the rest being Cat's story adjusting in Kannery National Park after a very happening New York lifestyle. Boy was I wrong, in the most pleasant way. This book was Cat's metamorphosis and so fucking warming that I felt wrapped up in a blanket reading it.

Melissa Ferguson did a phenomenal job with the book's characters. Because I didn't only like the MCs but the supporting characters were perfection. Since the first chapter, I loved Serena. She was strong and had a way about her that made me wish to have a Serena in my life. I was a little sad at first to not have more of her in the book, but lo and behold! the author introduced Mina. She was a 180 when compared to Serena but feels like a cosy hug full of fierce loyalty. And I couldn't be happier with it. Mina made everyone's day brighter, including mine.

There is something about books set in small towns that gets me every time. Maybe it's the sense of togetherness and undying support. And even though I didn't realise it till later in this book, but it was all in the book. And most importantly, the message of the book does not only apply to influencers, but the whole generation. It was an eye-opener and healing at the same time and I feel so good after reading it all.

Thank you Netgalley and Thomas Nelson for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I love Melissa And her writing so much. There’s nothing like an influencer going to Montana (I should know, I did it in college and I wasn’t even that influencer-y). I love a good opposites attract and she delivers with wit and charm and a good clean read. Instantly going to pre-order cause I need Melissa to continue to write books.

All the stars people!!!! Listen, I love me some Melissa Ferguson!!!!

All her books are like a COZY HUG to me. Her previous work Meet me in the Margins was a home run for me so I was a bit nervous going into this follow up. But Famous for a Living was just as cozy and fun to read!

Cat's growth in the book as she works through how social media is shaping her life was really well done and extremely relevant to today. It definitely has inspired me to think through boundaries with my social usage.

My favorite aspect of the book is the Cat's found family The romance was sweet, her uncle is endearing and the rest of the crew surrounding her are zany and loving.

Thank you NetGalley for providing an eARC copy of this book!

A fun rom-com between an influencer and a die-hard Park Ranger. Gives you all the cozy romance bibes ina luscious setting with two hooked on each other main characters. A fun read!

Another hit from Melissa Ferguson and it did not disappoint! Cat Cranwell needs to figure out how she is going to make it away from the big city and the comfort of her social media elite status. She really struggles as any woman would do when wanting to be fashionable and feel beautiful in single digit freezing temps. Melissa always does so well at giving her main female lead the doubtful and fun of despair internal monologue, when all they really want to do is succeed at small things in life. They always feel like they aren't good enough and yet they always prove themselves wrong by believing and just going for it anyway, even if they look ridiculous doing it.

I can see myself in her characters, Serena was the perfect balance of work/personal life for Cat and always reassured her that things would resolve themselves eventually. Cat's mental health is also Serena's top priority, which I found so sweet and I am definitely akin to her for being empathetic and supportive. All of the characters surrounding Cat gave her the benefit of the doubt and cut her some slack for not being native to Montana and I enjoyed seeing as they all fell in love with her and she grew to love them despite their wacky winter games. The whole Kannery team felt like a family and I really enjoyed reading their antics and dynamic between them. Kannery Park and Cades Peak were described in such great detail, I instantly wanted to go and see it for myself.

Overall, Zaiah and Cat provide us with so much insight into their troublesome past and how they rose above all of it, many real moments that my heart broke for them and ultimately made them such a great couple, really loved how they complemented each other. Thank you Melissa for giving us another great gem and I cannot wait to read your future works! Also, thanks to the Thomas Nelson team for the ARC.

This book was just so fun! Cat, a social media influencer, has her life blown up in the worst way & retreats to rural Montana to help out her uncle & hide away until things get better. I loved the cozy winter setting, the background characters & the sweet romance of this book. It left a smile on my face & made me think about social media in a different way which was refreshing. If you love sweet romances & cozy reads - pick this one up for sure! Melissa Ferguson, this might be my fav one yet!!

Melissa Ferguson has done it again. This was delightful! The plot was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. The characters were well-developed; complex, and intriguing. I highly recommend this beautiful telling of the power of love. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

I was so excited to get an advanced copy of this story, since I loved the last one by Melissa Ferguson (Meet Me in the Margins). This story was every bit as adorable as it looks! I enjoyed getting to know Cat, as her life is turned upside down and she heads to the wilderness to pick up the pieces of her life. I loved the glimpse into the life of an influencer, with it's glitz and pitfalls. The side characters are delightful, and I loved the small town/park feel. This book is the perfect Rom Com to pick up and enjoy! It's like Hallmark meets Parks and Recreation, in all the best ways. I had a hard time putting it down.

I received this book from Netgalley. This is my honest review.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Pub Date: May 16, 2023

This book is so cute! This story focuses on influencer Cat, her fall from social media favor, and her self discovery as she deals with fall and what she’s going to do next. I loved seeing what life “behind the scenes” for an influencer can be like. Cat is so likable and reading about her finding herself and what she really wants her life to be like while also finding new friends, family and love was such a breath of fresh air. The theme woven though the book about how social media can be so addictive, but can also be a good thing is very timely, and it definitely inspired me to set the phone down a little more. I inhaled this book pretty quickly. Melissa Ferguson has yet again written a fantastic story!

You’ll like this story if you enjoy
•grumpy/sunshine
•redemption
•personal growth
•found family
•sweet romance
•city and country settings
•feel-good stories

This book was too freakin cute! I loved it from the very first chapter! It’s sweet, funny, romantic, and will keep you hooked!

THIS BOOK! <3
This was my first Melissa Ferguson book and I immediately went and bought her others. Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for this ARC!

This book explored overcoming social dependence and learning to love and be yourself and was hysterical. I loved how it was a little bit of a love story but really it was Cam learning she is more than her social media following and her likes. I think it is so interesting how Melissa writes about the social aspect, feeling the high from the likes which I think we can all fall victim to.

This book was laugh-out-loud funny, as Cam moves from city life to Montana to avoid public scrutiny after she had a deal go sideways. Now she traded in pumps for sneakers and explores the national park with her father figure Uncle Terry and her love interest - park ranger Zaiah. The plot also explores them trying to save their park from being absorbed into a bigger park and there is rivalry and so much banter from this.

Overall it was such a sweet book and I am excited for it's release!

Melissa Ferguson has produced another gem that delves into the very real world and pitfalls of social influencers. The juxtaposition of New York and Montana punches home the points of conflict that are inherent in Cat Cranwell's chosen lifestyle. As this heartwarming story unfolds we share in the growth of all the characters, and fall in love with a community of people who aid in this process. I highly recommend 'Famous for a Living'.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.