Black Rodeo

A History of the African American Western

Pub Date 28 Feb 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #BlackRodeo #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

African American westerns have a rich cinematic history and visual culture. Mia Mask examines the African American western hero within the larger context of film history by considering how Black westerns evolved and approached wide-ranging goals. Woody Strode’s 1950s transformation from football star to actor was the harbinger of hard-edged western heroes later played by Jim Brown and Fred Williamson. Sidney Poitier’s Buck and the Preacher provided a narrative helmed by a groundbreaking African American director and offered unconventionally rich roles for women. Mask moves from these discussions to consider blaxploitation westerns and an analysis of Jeff Kanew’s hard-to-find 1972 documentary about an all-Black rodeo. The book addresses how these movies set the stage for modern-day westploitation films like Django Unchained.

A first-of-its kind survey, Black Rodeo illuminates the figure of the Black cowboy while examining the intersection of African American film history and the western.

Advance Praise

“Mask provides an insightful commentary on the Civil Rights era and its African American-themed Westerns from today's perspective.”--Angela Aleiss, author of Hollywood's Native Americans: Stories of Identity and Resistance

ISBN 9780252086977
PAGES 272

Send to Kindle (PDF)

this was a really well done nonfiction historical book, it was a unique western book and a movie book. I enjoyed the way Mia Mask wrote this, I was never bored when reading and thought it was what I wanted it. I look forward to what Mia Mask comes out next and am glad I read this.

I’ve always wanted to learn more about black cowboys ever since I learned how much of the Wild West had been white washed and this book helped scratch that itch a bit more.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this e-ARC. This does not impact my review in any way and all words are my own opinion.

A highly educational and strong read. Mask presents a thesis that while I had heard before, I had never really considered the greater impact on our cultural psyche. The numerous examples and long list of films examined ensured that the evidence was well-researched and developed in detail. I really enjoyed this read, especially Mask's discussion of intersectionality in western films.