Champagne on Vice

House Verity

Pub Date 11 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #ChampagneonVice #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Mattie Logan is gonna live her life on her own terms, even if it means leaving her loveless marriage. When a good deed lands her an aces job slinging drinks at a speakeasy, she's thrust into the glittering, magical underbelly of New Orleans. Who better to show her the ropes (and the pleasure she's been craving) than the fella with the gray eyes and mischievous smile?

Daniel prides himself on not having a gargoyle's overprotective instincts, but Mattie's curiosity, top rate curves, and lust for experiences of all varieties might have him breaking his own rules and melting his heart of stone.

Her new life is the bee's knees—at least until Mattie's husband waltzes in.

EDITION Ebook
PAGES 314

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Thanks to NetGalley and Backlit PR for this ARC of Champagne on Vice in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Fans of Kathryn Moon will love this very sexy monster romance set in Prohibition-era New Orleans. It's a fun romp with some serious moments, and a heroine who has the opportunity to take back the agency she lost to an emotionally and financially abusive marriage.

I will say that the blurb kind of undersells what the book's really about- it's definitely more monster erotica than a regular romance - so choose with care if that's not your usual thing.

Enjoyable, with heart and a very sweet heroine. I'll be keeping an eye out for anything else Victoria Weyland writes!

(If I had to nitpick, there are a few inconsistencies in the text, particularly around capitalisation of certain words - hopefully this will be sorted out by the time of release)

CHAMPAGNE ON VICE (HOUSE VERITY BOOK ONE)

Release Date: 01/11/23
Spiciness rating: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️/5
POV: Multiple, third person
Main Characters: Mattie & Daniel
Genre: Historical Romance
Tropes: monster (gargoyle), shifter, heroine on the run; paranormal

Review:

Mattie wasn’t living a happy life as a obedient wife in a little town’s farm. In a religious conservative society, with a controlling husband, she felt like running away to New Orleans with only a little money.

It wouldn’t be a big deal if she wasn’t living in the 1920’s. Arriving in the big city she soon discovered all the things she was missing and starts exploring possibilities, in all aspects of her life, including intimacy.
I liked most aspects of the book. The setting, the fact it takes place in the past, the magical creatures and atmosphere, also the main and secondary characters. I really liked Daniel and the way he treats Mattie since the beginning. He is everything her husband wasn’t and an amazing character. Mattie is also enchanting with her curiosity and will to live life fully.

If there is one thing I didn’t like was the “open relationship” aspect. I understand 100% it is a personal opinion, but it prevented me of enjoying the book fully. However, it’s totally worthy reading.

*** I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ***

The description doesn’t do this book justice! I really enjoyed it and all of the characters and monsters 😏 And oh those spicy scenes! Let me tell you that this book is definitely not a slow burn! I was a little caught off guard by some of the word choices but then I willed my brain to remember that it takes place in the 1920s and started to really get into the book.

Had the time of my life reading this, Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of this book and these group of characters!

I really enjoyed this story set in prohibition-era New Orleans! The characters were lively and the premise was unique and interesting. I had vested interest in the fates of our main characters and was rooting for the love story.

Champagne on Vice had an entertaining start that really drew me in. However, I feel the story fell apart a bit after that. It felt somewhat superficial and moved at a fast pace that didn’t feel like it allowed for a lot of character or setting development. I did really enjoy the author’s writing.

An enjoyable novel set in the 1920's in New Orleans during prohibition. The writing style is fluid and moves along at a good clip, which made the reading fun. The character development of Mattie and Daniel is well-done and before you know it, you were rooting for Mattie! A fun read!

Once I started I could not stop. The spice 5 stars, the feminism 5 stars, the story 5 stars. I hope there's more!

Diving into a different world! This was interesting to read. Probably not something I'd be interested in continuing to read, but I am sure this would be someone's cup of tea. Definitely a lot of smut in this book. I am just not a big fan of magic.

This story will be people who absolutely love paranormal historical romances dream.

Thanks to NetGalley and The Wild Rose Press, Inc for the ARC of Champagne on Vice in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Rating 3.5⭐⭐⭐
Spice 4.5 🌶🌶🌶🌶
First of all, what caught my attention was the book cover and then the description since the author was new to me.

I'm trying to explore fantasy/paranormal this year so I decided to request for this as a start when I read the description...

I think the description undesells the book. This is deep monster romance with lots of smut 🔥🔥
But Since I'm new to this, it was a bit much for me with all these creatures.. that being said...
I Recommend this for people who are really into paranormal and historic romance. They will appreciate this book more than I did.

The author did an amazing job in her writing, since it's generally written well.

Though I didn't like the open relationship thing going on... I enjoyed the smut... amd there were a lot of it
I felt sorry for Mattie in the beginning, but well..... but i was glad she finally found her voice.
And yes I'm crushing on the mysterious Francis 😍😀. I would love to read more about him.

3.5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
4 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

This was a quick read that had charm to it. Maddie escapes from an abusive situation and meets gargoyle Daniel through a club run by Lady Lorna in prohibition era New Orleans. The book is less romance and more open relationship monster erotica. The prose flowed well. The smut was very hot. If you enjoy paranormal erotica, you will enjoy this book.