The Slow Sip

Pub Date 31 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheSlowSip #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Scotch authenticator Emily Clemonte is called to rural Montana to investigate a stash that could be the most elusive whisky heist in history. Has a genuine trove been found hidden in the guest cabin of the arrogant Marcus McClean? If so, how did it get there, when it disappeared off the Atlantic Coast?

EDITION Ebook
PAGES 276

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Emily, a whisky Authenticator is asked to visit a property in Montana where a stash of prohibition era alcohol has been found. It couldn’t be the legendary lost Whiting Whisky could it? If it is how did it end up in Montana?

The narrative moves between modern day and the 1920s. I really liked the premise, part mystery, part romance. But there is something rushed about the story, it jumps quickly from one thing to the next and nothing is given time to settle. When I started it went straight in and I had to check I’d not missed a page or prologue. I much preferred the story when we time shifted to the 1920s. It was better paced and much more an interesting story. Overall I did enjoy this book.

Wonderful book. Very interesting and kept my interest from the first page. Fast passed and good read. Will definitely read this writer again.

Part mystery, part romance with some historical fiction thrown in, this story follows the investigation of what might be a found trove of missing whiskey. This jumps between present day and 1920s, which I was not expecting at first. It felt a bit disjointed for me but others may like this narrative structure.

"The forbidden love of an aristocrat and a bootlegger, a century before, holds the key to the mystery, and Emily and Marcus are about to find out that the past is not quite as it seems and has some major implications for the present. But searching for the truth brings them a lot more trouble—and a lot closer to each other than they bargained for."
This is a good mystery. It appeared that the last thing that was about to be unsolved was the location of the mysterious whiskey.
I haven't read a book by this author.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. This in no way affects my opinion of this book which I read and reviewed voluntarily.

This was a great read! It was the perfect romance I have been looking for. This is the first time I have read this author and it won't be the last. This was very well written and I loved the characters that she created and the plot was great I thought.
I just reviewed The Slow Sip by Kirsten Abel. #TheSlowSip #NetGalley
[NetGalley URL]Edit

A story of hidden whisky & romance in present day Montana is tied to a 1920’s forbidden love story. The story begins in the present with Emily, a whisky authenticator, traveling to determine if the whisky stash is a legendarily lost whisky shipment. The story shifts to the 1920s backstory of how the whisky came to Montana. Both stories contain a love story. I preferred the 1920s story as the modern day one pairs two people who can’t, apparently, stand each other. Yet, they somehow end up together. No, thanks. The 1920s story develops with a strong storyline and resolves well. I liked that one very much.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the opportunity to read this ARC.
There was nothing about this book that I disliked. The premise is pretty engaging, and I like how it is partly a mystery, partly a romance. I particularly liked how the story alternated between the 1920s and the present. Overall, the book was enjoyable and not at all bad. Yet, I did feel it was a touch hurried in numerous parts, which puzzled me at times. Furthermore, the beginning of the book (I noticed someone else make a comment on this issue) was perplexing since I believed I had skipped pages, forcing me to go back and double-check that I hadn't. Even the beginning of the book feels hurried. But because I liked the writing style, I wouldn't say no to future projects.

Thank you Netgalley and Kirsten Abel for this arc. If you like whisky, small-town romance, mystery and thrills then check out his book now! I really liked the stories jumping between the modern day and 1920s when the mystery is linked.

Don’t let the title fool you, this book is not slow at all!

Emily has been hired to investigate a century old mystery involving a stash of whiskey and a piece of art. Are the dusty bottles really the long lost treasure?

This is a clean romance combined with a mystery and the story itself is actually pretty interesting. I liked the idea of parallel timelines and the mystery, even though it was easy to solve.

What I was missing was character development and depth. This book was simply too short for all its plots and subplots and there was not enough time to delve into them. As a result the romance wasn’t very romantic and the banter and emotional connections (not only the romantic ones) felt rushed and awkward.

There were two couples, Emily and Marcus in the present day and Sarah and James in the twenties. At first everyone was extremely rude for absolutely no reason, but it proved to be an excellent seduction technique. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The couple no. 1 gave me Beauty and the Beast vibes; Marcus was a grumpy, rich dude with good-natured grandparents-like servants who for some reason played matchmakers from the moment they met Emily. (Everyone seemed to forget that she was there to do a job!) Their romance felt forced and I didn’t really buy it. Luckily Emily kept reminding us that there was chemistry between her and Marcus because I wouldn’t have noticed it otherwise.

The second couple’s insta-love was too insta even for me, but their story was a lot more adventurous and entertaining so I enjoyed it more. I hated Sarah at first but she redeemed herself later, and James, despite his insta-love tendencies, was smart and very likable.

I didn’t love everything about this book, but it was a decent debut and I hope this author keeps writing!

Thank you NetGalley and Backlit PR for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review. This review has been published on Goodreads on 20 Jan 2023.

I loved the concept of this book: storylines in two different time periods, connected by family and a famous, long-missing case of whisky. The mystery really pulled me in and I liked the main characters. I did feel that the story and the romance felt a bit rushed; I could have done with another 50+ pages to develop that further. The ending had me absolutely shocked and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but it definitely got a reaction out of me!