Only Light Can Do That
60 Days of MLK – Devotions for Kids
by Martin Luther King Jr.; Lisa A. Crayton; Sharifa Stevens
You must sign in to see if this title is available for request. Sign In or Register Now
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 05 Dec 2023 | Archive Date 05 Jan 2024
Thomas Nelson: CHILDREN'S, Tommy Nelson
Through Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.'s words and Bible verses, kids will discover that Dr. King's Christian faith was the foundation for his activism and that God calls us to stand up for justice and love. This illustrated children's devotional will inspire the next generation with the passion of Dr. King, America's greatest Black leader, and equip them to make a difference for God, both today and tomorrow.
Through Dr. King's timeless words, children ages 8 to 12 will be challenged and inspired to
- "drive out darkness" with light and love;
- go to the Bible for the truth about evil, love, identity, and responsibility;
- respect the Creator-given human dignity in everyone;
- build relationships across boundaries and spread kindness in all communities; and
- stand for God's truth about themselves and others.
This 60-day devotional for older children includes
- a short biography of Dr. King that focuses on his belief in God's Word as the basis of his activism;
- 60 devotions written just for kids, each featuring Scripture, a quote from Dr. King, and a challenge to live out the truth;
- inspiring stories of young participants of the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s; and
- a presentation page for commemorating gifting occasions and a source list for further exploration.
Today's children are passionate about social justice and want to be change makers. This devotional shows kids that following Christ is an essential element of the fight for justice and empowers them to actively live out their faith.
"If we are to go forward, if we are to make this a better world in which to live, we've got to go back. . . . We've got to go back and rediscover the principle that there is a God behind the process." --Martin Luther King Jr.
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 3 members
Spend an entire day with this book and let’s learn about the various people who have fought against injustice, inequality and oppression.
This compilation is just not about these issues but also for about what we can do for the things we truly believe are our rights to live with dignity and without discrimination.
I love how thoughtful and important this book is. The quotes, the timelines, the brief events descriptions are top notch. So many issues to discuss about. Just grab this book and keep it in a place where you can read together and discuss the events.
Thought provoking and masterful.
Thank you, Thomas Nelson/Tommy Nelson, for the advance reading copy.
First of all, Thank You so much, Netgalley for Arc granted to me. Woah, I liked a lot that I have been surprised by the fact that this book works like a kind of Devotional with some sermons and lessons extracted from the life of the great Martin Luther King, and I appreciated every single page. I 'm looking forward to find more from this kind of content. Well done!
Title: "Only Light Can Do That: 60 Days of MLK – Devotions for Kids" - Nurturing the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for Young Hearts
In this insightful book review, we embark on a journey through "Only Light Can Do That: 60 Days of MLK – Devotions for Kids" by Martin Luther King Jr., Lisa A. Crayton, and Sharifa Stevens. This beautifully illustrated children's devotional offers young readers aged 8 to 12 an opportunity to explore the profound connection between Dr. King's Christian faith and his tireless activism for justice and love. As someone who enjoys doing book reviews, this remarkable work provides a unique platform to discuss the importance of faith, social justice, and empowerment for the next generation.
"Only Light Can Do That" is not just a book; it's a testament to the enduring legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., America's greatest Black leader. This children's devotional unveils the Christian faith that underpinned Dr. King's unwavering commitment to justice and love. Through a blend of his timeless words, Bible verses, and thought-provoking challenges, young readers are encouraged to carry forward Dr. King's message of driving out darkness with light and love.
1. **Foundation in Faith**: The book beautifully illustrates how Dr. King's faith in God's Word served as the bedrock of his activism. It effectively conveys the message that faith can be a powerful driving force for positive change in the world.
2. **Empowering Young Minds**: Targeted at children aged 8 to 12, this devotional is designed to empower young minds with the principles of justice, love, and social responsibility. It encourages them to reflect on their identity, the dignity of every individual, and the importance of building bridges across communities.
3. **Inspiring Stories**: The book not only presents Dr. King's legacy but also shares inspiring stories of young participants from the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. These stories serve as compelling examples of how even young voices can make a profound impact on society.
4. **Devotionals and Quotes**: The book comprises 60 devotionals tailored for kids, each featuring a Scripture, a quote from Dr. King, and a challenge to live out the truth. This structure allows young readers to engage with the material in a meaningful way.
5. **Commemorative Aspect**: The inclusion of a presentation page for gifting occasions adds a personal touch to the book, making it an ideal gift for young readers interested in social justice and the intersection of faith and activism.
Social Media and Blogging Potential:
As someone who enjoys creating content for social media and blogging, "Only Light Can Do That" offers several content creation opportunities:
1. **Daily Devotionals**: Consider sharing daily or weekly devotionals from the book on your social media platforms. Encourage discussions around each devotional to engage your audience.
2. **Interview the Authors**: If possible, reach out to Lisa A. Crayton and Sharifa Stevens for an interview or feature on your blog. Explore the inspiration behind the book and its impact on young readers.
3. **Discussion Series**: Start a blog series where you discuss the importance of faith, social justice, and empowerment for children. Use the book's content as a reference point for your discussions.
4. **Quotes and Visuals**: Create visually appealing quote graphics from Dr. King's words in the book. These can be shared on platforms like Instagram and Pinterest to reach a wider audience.
"Only Light Can Do That: 60 Days of MLK – Devotions for Kids" is a remarkable contribution to children's literature. As a book reviewer and content creator, you have the opportunity to introduce young readers to the profound connection between faith and activism, using the life and words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This devotional equips the next generation with the tools to actively live out their faith while championing justice and love. It's a book that not only educates but also inspires young minds to be change-makers in their communities, carrying forward the legacy of a true American hero.