Cover Image: The Nowhere Man

The Nowhere Man

Bruce Willis on Steroids

You know how, in the movies, the hero is beaten up and shot up and struggles along, taking out bad guys, and then he's beaten up again and hurt more, and takes out more bad guys, and then he's smashed down and beaten up yet again, but he keeps on coming like the Energizer Bunny? Yeah, it's just like that. And the adrenaline rush of the story keeps you reading. It's dark, it's grim, it is dystopia magnified, but it's a lot of fun as a thriller despite all the blood, and gore, and nastiness. Certainly if you were reading just this book, it is a good stand-alone story. However it depends heavily on the first book for the deeper background and explanation of how things got to be where they are. (Pertinent data is, of course, reiterated as needed.)  In many ways, that one is kinder and gentler than this volume despite themes of abuse and terrorism; book two ramps things up but concludes all active business with no cliffhangers within its own plot.  However, there are more volumes to come in the larger story arc.  Go, good guys!
Evan Smoak is becoming one of my favorite characters. An ex-assassin who has kept his humanity. And he's also funny. Damn that's sexy! The 2nd book in the Orphan X series was a high octane, white knuckle thriller. It was so intense it kept me on the edge-of-my-seat with my pulse racing the whole time. I couldn't put the book down. This book has everything a thriller story needs. Fast-paced, action-packed, fascinating characters, suspense. Love this series so far. Can't wait to read the next book. Highly recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a copy of Gregg Hurwitz's "The Nowhere Man" in exchange of an honest review.
NOWHERE MAN (Orphan X #2)

NOWHERE MAN

Another book in the "Orphan" series, these stories are just plain fun to read. Formerly part of a clandestine government program consisting of highly trained orphans, Evan Smoak is now working on his own. He helps desperate people. He takes care of the their problem.

In Nowhere Man, Evan gets himself caught and trapped in a palatial chalet... somewhere. His captor has some very odd proclivities and doesn't enjoy Smoak interfering with his business. In the meantime, there's a young lady involved in human trafficking who desperately needs his help. Also, a child is trying to reach out to him.

Evan's past revisits him in this book in a way that really shakes up his beliefs. Soul-searching, but patterns are hard to break.

I really liked Orphan X and I liked Nowhere Man even more. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Gregg Hurwitz, and Minotaur Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This was another "not good, not bad" read. I felt like things were a bit slow in the middle at the Chalet though. I did like that Evan is a bit less robotic, less one track savior to all mind. It's nice to see that he is a bit more human, especially after all the emphasis about Jack trying to keep him human during his training.

Candy continues to be the most ridiculous character in a book ever, though. I really wish we were done with her, but somehow I just don't think I'm that lucky.
He was once called Orphan X.

As a boy, Evan Smoak was taken from a children's home, raised and trained as part of a secret government initiative buried so deep that virtually no one knows it exists. But he broke with the programme, choosing instead to vanish off grid and use his formidable skill set to help those unable to protect themselves.

One day, though, Evan's luck ran out . . .

Ambushed, drugged, and spirited away, Evan wakes up in a locked room with no idea where he is or who has captured him. As he tries to piece together what's happened, testing his gilded prison and its highly trained guards for weaknesses, he receives a desperate call for help.

With time running out, he will need to out-think, out-manoeuvre, and out-fight an opponent the likes of whom he's never encountered to have any chance of escape. He's got to save himself to protect those whose lives depend on him. Or die trying . . .

My thoughts

rating: 5 stars

This series gets better with each book , and with each book you get to see the character grew as well, its one of those series that once I started reading it I get pulled into the story and just want to keep reading until the very end. It also reminds me of an old tv show :  Have Gun Will Travel , to find out why ,you need to read the series , with that said I want to thank Netgalley for letting me read and review it exchange for my honest opinion.
Evan Smoak was Orphan X--a boy trained in a top-secret government program, groomed to become a lethal weapon, an assassin. After being asked to kill another operative, Evan decides to leave that life behind and disappear. He becomes the Nowhere Man, the helper of people in trouble.

In book 2, Evan is called upon to help a high school girl being entrapped in a sex trafficking scheme against her will. After taking care of her problem, he decides to follow through further and find the local house where the girls were kept before being sent off to buyers. There he himself is attacked and he awakens to find himself a captive in a plush room in a chateau in the mountains with bars on the balcony window and armed guards at his door. Who has done this and why?

The major portion of this book is spent watching Evan carry out a plan of escape, eliminating his captor's hired muscle one by one. Remarkable, edge-of-your-seat action with a truly intelligent hero who is flawed and all too human.

The touch of humor was missing from this second book. Instead, Evan begins to face an existential crisis. Is this all his life will ever be? Can he possibly live a normal life with a wife, children?

I like this character very much and thought this thriller was one of the best I've read with its host of evil villains salivating at the chance to get revenge against Evan. Excellent ending with the punishment fitting the crime! I look forward to reading the next two books in the series. Highly recommend for lovers of the genre.

I wish to thank the publisher for providing me with an ebook copy of this book and the others in the series via NetGalley for my honest review.
I loved the first three books in this series. I flew through them and enjoyed the suspense, characterization and plot.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley.
Forget Rambo, forget Ethan Hunt, forget even Superman for have we have a new hero for you all rolled up in a character, named Evan Smoek in the book Nowhere Man. This is Gregg Hurwitz's second book featuring Evan and a bevy of bad, really bad people. Having met Evan already in the book Orphan X, and knowing if I was ever in big deep dark trouble, Evan would be the man I would call and have frighting for me.

Those of us who know of Evan's past as a child secreted into a super elite killer force of orphans, know that any adventures he becomes involved in are dangerous, life threatening, and a ride into a world of darkness and depravity.

Evan is constantly being chased. He is wanted by the group he withdrew from years ago. They want Evan and will pull out all the stops to get him and eliminate the threat he has become. Evan has been able to hide all while helping one person who is in extreme danger at a time. However, Evan's time as a free man has come to an end. He is captured, wakes up in a place where his abilities are well known by his cruel guards, and the man who controls them. If that is not bad enough, Evan receives a call for help while being held captive. He believes himself capable of helping, but given his circumstances this seems impossible. However, this is Evan Smoek and as he battles the evil that surrounds him, he learns more about himself as well as the man who not only taught him many of his skills, but also has loved him as a son.

Fraught with action and hold your breath thriller scenes, Mr Hurwitz has once again created a story that rolls along seeped with action, menace and peril. I definitely recommend this book to those of us who so enjoy a book where the suspense pours out on every page and where one will find their ample fill of hair raising events. Can't wait to find out where Evan is headed in the next book of this mind blowing series.

Thank you to Gregg Hurwitz who once again had me turning pages in the middle of the night, Minatour Books, and NetGalley for an opportunity to read this spine tingling book
Like any superhero, Evan Smoak has a nemesis and a secret identity. That identity is anonymity clothed to blend into his surroundings. He lives by the Ten Commandments taught to him by the closest thing he ever had to a father. These are NOT the commandments taught in Sunday school.

This sophomore effort in the series is exciting, well written, and compelling, but somehow it is lacking in an almost intangible something the first book had. Perhaps it is merely my perception derived from immediately jumping into THE NOWHERE MAN without taking time to finish digesting ORPHAN X. Yet, maybe not so intangible. If I had to put my finger on it, I would say this book lacks the human messiness of the first.

As I was reading about items that seemed too good to be true even in the 21st century, I did some Googling. RoamZone? Real. Floating bed? Real. Sub Zero? Real. All those vodkas? Real. So here we have another writer using real world items to solidify the reader's suspension of disbelief. I'm someone who enjoys a good vodka martini every once in a while. I will most certainly be looking to try some of those heretofore unknown to me brands that Evan Smoak enjoys. The vodka references could become as famous as James Bond's gin martinis.

Although I found that little something missing, this is absolutely an exciting page turner. I was most impressed by the imagery Hurwitz's writing conveys. I often found myself admiring the unique perfection of a phrase… not once, but over and over again. Whether he is describing a person, place, or thing, you cannot help but visualize it with your mind's eye the illustration he paints with words.

I am continuing to binge the series by immediately diving into HELLBENT. This is one rollercoaster ride I wouldn't miss for the world.
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz is part of a series about Orphan X or Evan Smoak. When quite young he was removed from an orphanage and trained to be an assassin for a secret branch of the   government. He breaks away from his role as a government assassin and tried to use his skills to help people in need. He has a special telephone number where he can be reached and he uses his ability to use force to help those it need it.  Orphan X is an interesting character with moral values though quite different from most people. He has difficulty establishing close relationships since so much of his life has to be kept a secret from others.
This is book #2 in the series. After the excitement and fast pace of Orphan X, The Nowhere Man felt like it was written by either a different author or with a different goal in mind. What is believed to be the plot or the driver of the storyline and action ends up being secondary if not tertiary in terms of plot line. It wasn't until the final quarter of the book that the story picked up pace, connected the dots a bit more, and created a nice twist at the end that made you want to start book #3.

Overall, a good book for someone who is a fan of these Jason Bourne-type thrillers.
I was looking forward to reading this book but the download was no longer on my Kindle and it was archived on NetGalley.  I've had several books disappear from my Kindle before I read them.  Makes me sad.
The Nowhere Man is the second installment in author Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X series. When Evan Smoak (not his real name) was young, a man rescued him from a troubled life and he trained Evan how to kill. When he got older he became the Nowhere Man, the last resort for a person in desperate trouble. No one knows who the Nowhere Man is, but they know if they call him, he will help rescue them from a seemingly helpless situation.

A call from a teenage girl in a desperate situation leads him to the existence of a sex trafficking operation, which abducts vulnerable young women and sends them into the hands of nefarious characters. As usual, Smoak works to cut the operation off at its knees, but as he tries to determine just how deep its roots are, he is abducted by an utterly unanticipated nemesis, who wants something from Evan, and will stop at nothing to get it.

Suddenly, Evan finds himself captured in an unknown location, under guard by a number of trigger-happy mercenaries, and at the mercy of a sadistic, opportunistic individual with unlimited resources and a real inferiority complex. René is a paunchy, balding middle-aged man who's desperate to look and feel young so he can enjoy his opulent lifestyle, including a lavish home, expensive furnishings, priceless art, fabulous food, excellent liquor, attractive lovers, fancy cars, and so on.

His captors think they've got the best of Evan, but they don't understand just whom they're dealing with—but outsmarting this clan will push Evan to his very limits, physically and intellectually. When Evan finds himself up offered as the pièce de ré·sis·tance in an auction, he finds himself face to face with some of the villains that he has put in their place over the past 10 years, and would love to have unlimited access to him to pay him back for all of his past deeds. To make matters interesting, Evan's nemesis and the new head of the Orphan Program, Charles Van Sciver has made it his mission to rid the world of Evan once and for all.

It is absolutely fair to say that once should expect to suspend disbelief when reading this story. There are some wild, and extraordinary action scenes in this book that are normally only found in movies. This story also dives into Evan's relationship with Jack, the man who changed his life. There is a whole lot of twists in that storyline since Jack has been something of a mystery with unlimited resources and appears to have some of the same goals as Evan has. I wouldn't necessarily say this book is up to the same awesomeness as the first installment, but I wouldn't devalue the entertainment value that reading this book gives readers.
Evan Smoak has escaped from an assassination program he finds to be morally wrong. As atonement for what he believes is wrongdoing on his part, he has become a last resort for people who are in trouble and need his help. He calls himself "the nowhere man" and remains hidden from the world. The narrative includes much detail in the elements of martial arts he uses, which gives a dense of reality to the almost continuous violence. The style of writing is easy to read and easy to become engrossed in. The plot operates on many levels as Evan deals with his own major issues while working on solutions for the problems of others. At one point he actually calls himself for help without realizing it. The characters are a real menagerie of evil, with a few good folks thrown in. I finished the book with pulse pounding and immediately started on the next in the series. The book is so good I wish there were more!
With the fourth book “Out of the Dark” scheduled for release on January 29, 2019, it will be good to gift this trio of books to the suspense/thriller and action/adventure reader in your list. If he or she is a fan of Jason Bourne, then they won’t be disappointed.

Book 1 – Orphan X introduces Evan Smoak, an orphan recruited by a government-backed, black-ops squad of highly trained assassins. Evan became Orphan X, one of the best in the program. But when his handler and perhaps only friend was killed mysteriously, Evan went Rogue and became the Nowhere Man – a person who could help people out of hopeless situations.

Adrenaline pumping action reminiscent of Jason Bourne with the sentiment of the “The Equalizer,” an old CBS series circa 1985-1989, Orphan X is a great mix of high-octane exploit and heart.

Book 2 – The Nowhere Man is more cerebral than Orphan X as it develops Evan Smoak more. The pacing is slower but readers also see Smoak as a person not a super hero of sorts. The surprise is in the ending and worth the earlier slowness of the storyline.

Book 3 – Hellbent truly marries head and heart in the series. Now, readers see the depth of Evan Smoak’s humanity. He might be a trained assassin, but he still has a heart and that is the crux of this story. It will tug at your heartstrings! And it’s a suspense/thriller at that!
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz #2
Evan Smoak is more clearly defined in this book.  Book one Orphan X   gives details as to who he is and this book more clearly explains how he became who he is.  This book details an amazing ordeal that Evan undergoes and defines his tenacity.
A hit man for good sounds contradictory but Evan works at righting wrongs and a personal level as opposed to a government level.   People who have nowhere to turn can turn to the Nowhere Man for help.   This book shows how Evan impacts another orphan and how his tenacity protects him and those he chooses to help.
A secret government program made Evan Smoak the weapon they had hoped for with results they never anticipated.   The story is packed full of action and intrigue.   Evan Smoak is right up there with Dewey Andreas and Jack Reacher.
I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it.
Unfortunately, this book did not come close the level of the first book in the series. It was slugggish and borderline uninteresting until the last quarter of the book where the author regained his footing and the pace of the book became readable. It gave the sense of it being written in haste without much thought to the whether or not readers would be engaged. I have the third book in the series yet to read and I am hoping that it will be more on the level of the first one (Orphan X).

I received a free Kindle copy of The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz courtesy of Net Galley  and Minotaur Books, the publisher. It was with the understanding that I would post a review on Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon and my fiction book review blog. I also posted it to my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google Plus pages.

I requested this book as its sounded interesting and all three books in the series were offered up at the same time. This is the second book by the author that I have read.
Evan Smoak is “The Nowhere Man”  who’s has bee kidnapped and being held for ransom.  Although the villian has discovered how talented Evan is at killing off his guards, the villain thinks he may get a bigger payday ahead.  He plans to auction Evan off to the highest bidder of Evan’s enemies.  Will Evan escape or be auction off?

This novel is a high energy thriller.  The authot’s work is fluid and smooth even though it can be technical at times.  It is action packed and has violence in this novel.  It is entertainment well done.
Although this book didn’t hold my attention as well as the first one, Orphan X, it was still a great action story. At around 3/4 of the way through the story intensified and had a brilliant ending. Solid overall story.

Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the digital version in exchange for my honest review.
This was a great follow up book to Orphan X.  I really like the way that the book tied back to his past to give you a little more depth of the characters.  I really can't wait to dive into the 3rd book to see what will happen next.  I really like this series it has been a long time since I have stayed up late at night to finish a book but this had all the drama to keep me going to the end.