Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 May 2019

Surprisingly good and engaging. I thought the first-person narrative was really convincing, and able to get me in the mindset and understand her perspective really well. I would not call this a funny book but there were certainly moments that made me chuckle, and several moments where I could identify with her perspective on other people. This really would be a great book to discuss in a book group.
I initially pulled this title off of NetGalley simply because it had my grandmother's name - Eleanor - and you just don't see that name very often anymore! I didn't get around to reading it though, but then after it was published it got so much press and everyone was reading it so I had to jump on the bandwagon too, obviously! And boy oh boy was this good - and so different from anything else I've read! Eleanor reads like she's on the spectrum, but with all of her childhood trauma it's hard to tell if her social ineptitude is just caused by the latter. Raymond is the best person in the world, and everyone should have a friend like Raymond in their life! (Side note - there's a passage late in the book when Raymond gifts Eleanor with a cat, which she names Glen - I almost died because Glen was my grandfather's name! Eleanor and Glen, together again in this book - it just gave me pause :-) ) There were two twists at the end - one of which I saw coming from early on but the other caught be completely off guard, which I always love a good surprise. Eleanor and Raymond are just a pair of characters that are going to stick with me for a while - I already find myself wondering how they're doing!
***Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review***

This book started out a little slow for me. Eleanor is indeed a peculiar character and she is a little off putting at first.

As we learn more about Eleanor's upbringing it is easy to see why she is the way she is. The tragedy of her past unfolds slowly giving us small glimpses into the horror of her childhood.

Eleanor wants to live and be happy and she goes on a journey to self discovery. Making friends, trying new things, a makeover, and learning to live in the world forces Eleanor to come out of her shell. She must, however, battle her demons in order to survive.

A story about friendship and grief, guilt and love, Eleanor Oliphant is not completely fine and that's ok.
There isn't much more to say about this book than has already been said in the thousands of reviews that it has received except to say that Eleanor Oliphant is (becoming) completely fine. This gem of a novel takes us deep into the life of a woman who has suffered unfathomable abuse as a child and is navigating life in the only ways she knows how, including few human interactions and using alcohol to survive weekends and the legacy of her "Mummy."

Eleanor has no social filter and little self-awareness, qualities which ironically enough lend much humor to this book and makes the reading bearable as we observe and experience Eleanor's pain.

Despite her bleak prospects, Eleanor's story is ultimately hopeful and reminds us that help comes from unexpected sources and in unexpected ways., an original and much recommended read.

Full Disclosure--NetGalley and the publisher provided me with a digital ARC of this book. This is my honest review
Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to read this book!  I appreciate the kindness.
Up to the hype - Eleanor Oliphant was a low key person just going about her day until she began liking someone in a band.
Eleanor's life is also a mess, a mess of which created the person that she was. A perfectly imperfect person who then was traumatized and had suicidal thoughts and self-harm. This book is however more than that, it is about resilience - resilience in someone who is not of the "norm".
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it was great in audio as well. Eleanor has faced a trauma and it was dealt with by the author in a respectful way.
I wanted to love this book.... Heck, I wanted to even *like* this book, but I was so annoyed at Eleanor that I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room. I could not discover what was charming or likeable with the main character and I tried SOOOOOOOO hard.
This was a fun read. I liked Eleanor and all her quirks and personality. It’s funny, romantic and a great read. Would recommend to friends.
A+++++++ I absolutely loved it! Eleanor Oliphant is a character that could have been more of a cartoon rendering. However, she was written with empathy and realism. This one is a home run!
I have heard of this book for a while and I am glad I finally read it. Eleanor has a lonely life. She works Monday thru Friday and spends the weekend alone watching tv and drinking. She meets Raymond at work when he services her computer and after work they save an elderly man who falls. If she didn't meet these people, her lonely life would have continued but Raymond and Sammy and his family change her life. She tries new things out and finally admits to her horrible childhood and her life turns around
I could spend the next three hours writing a review about this book without pausing. Oh, Eleanor!  I love her!  What a story - rides the waves of both witty humor and intense sadness that is one very interesting person’s life.  At times I would be laughing out loud and the next I would be crying like a baby.  VERY well written.  The emotions and struggles of someone who has been through unimaginable horror hit home for me.  I kept picturing Eleanor as Miranda Hart (Chummy) from “Call the Midwife”, and Chris O’Dowd (Brides Maids) as Raymond.  A treasure about humanity.  Must read!!!
Eleanor’s life is one of habit. She goes to work, goes to her local grocery story after to get her favorite drink and food and does it all over again the next day. And every Wednesday, she talks to her mom. She doesn’t have a need for more people, most of them are silly anyway. But when a up and coming rock star and an unexpectedly helping a stranger, she starts to realize that she might need people after all.
Eleanor is a reminder to us all not to listen to the negative voices in our head and that there is good in humanity
If you're hoping for another Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, Eleanor Oliphant isn't it.  It is, however, just as awkward, funny, and painful in its own right.  Eleanor is a complex woman who has absolutely no idea just how strange is her life.  The road to enlightenment isn't an easy one for Eleanor--or her reader--but it is well worth the trip.
Quirky, anti-social Eleanor Oliphant is pretty comfortable with her job in accounts receivable and enjoys drinking her way through her weekends with a bottle of Chianti and a couple of bottles of vodka, staying neither drunk nor sober.

Then one evening while attending a concert she'd won in a raffle, Fate's Fickled Finger points her to "the one" singing onstage.

From then on Eleanor's life begins to change - everything is done with HIM in mind, the only problem being he doesn't know SHE exists. No matter, Eleanor sets about to win him over.

With this myopic outlook Eleanor completely fails to see the route her life is actually taking.

This is a story of awakening and healing; a journey from self-loathing to self-discovery. If you're a fan of funny, uplifting stories, you're bound to fall in love with Eleanor Oliphant! #NetGalley
Another one I'd heard wonderful things about-- my mom even recommended it to me. However, I just couldn't get into Eleanor's characterization. She's extremely judgmental, and while my mom would say, "so are you!", it grated on me. Maybe it's *too much* of a mirror text, and I found the close scrutiny too harsh.
Not the story I was expecting but a story I enjoyed. Don’t read too much about the plot. I especially loved the slow developing friendship at the center that grounded the book in reality.
Eleanor Oliphant lives alone with her plant. She works in an office, and her life is mundane, and lonely. And she has a secret. When she falls for a singer in a band her life begins to change. As the story and the mystery of her life unfold, the book becomes impossible to put down. Recommend highly.
I was not prepared for this book.  It was completely different than I expected, in a good way.  Eleanor was such a likeable character.  I felt like I was on this transformational journey with her. This book was hilarious, quirky, sad and heartbreaking at the same time.  Would definitely recommend to anyone in a reading slump.  Love, love, loved it.
I enjoyed the book until the ending. It was confusing. I had several theories about the end, and eliminated the actual ending based on how some of the conversations went. So that was frustrating. Aside from that, I did enjoy the book and I am looking forward to the movie. I enjoyed the characters' development throughout the book the most. It's a good read alike for Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig.