Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to read this book!  I appreciate the kindness.
Up to the hype - Eleanor Oliphant was a low key person just going about her day until she began liking someone in a band.
Eleanor's life is also a mess, a mess of which created the person that she was. A perfectly imperfect person who then was traumatized and had suicidal thoughts and self-harm. This book is however more than that, it is about resilience - resilience in someone who is not of the "norm".
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it was great in audio as well. Eleanor has faced a trauma and it was dealt with by the author in a respectful way.
I wanted to love this book.... Heck, I wanted to even *like* this book, but I was so annoyed at Eleanor that I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room. I could not discover what was charming or likeable with the main character and I tried SOOOOOOOO hard.
This was a fun read. I liked Eleanor and all her quirks and personality. It’s funny, romantic and a great read. Would recommend to friends.
A+++++++ I absolutely loved it! Eleanor Oliphant is a character that could have been more of a cartoon rendering. However, she was written with empathy and realism. This one is a home run!
I have heard of this book for a while and I am glad I finally read it. Eleanor has a lonely life. She works Monday thru Friday and spends the weekend alone watching tv and drinking. She meets Raymond at work when he services her computer and after work they save an elderly man who falls. If she didn't meet these people, her lonely life would have continued but Raymond and Sammy and his family change her life. She tries new things out and finally admits to her horrible childhood and her life turns around
I could spend the next three hours writing a review about this book without pausing. Oh, Eleanor!  I love her!  What a story - rides the waves of both witty humor and intense sadness that is one very interesting person’s life.  At times I would be laughing out loud and the next I would be crying like a baby.  VERY well written.  The emotions and struggles of someone who has been through unimaginable horror hit home for me.  I kept picturing Eleanor as Miranda Hart (Chummy) from “Call the Midwife”, and Chris O’Dowd (Brides Maids) as Raymond.  A treasure about humanity.  Must read!!!
Eleanor’s life is one of habit. She goes to work, goes to her local grocery story after to get her favorite drink and food and does it all over again the next day. And every Wednesday, she talks to her mom. She doesn’t have a need for more people, most of them are silly anyway. But when a up and coming rock star and an unexpectedly helping a stranger, she starts to realize that she might need people after all.
Eleanor is a reminder to us all not to listen to the negative voices in our head and that there is good in humanity
If you're hoping for another Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, Eleanor Oliphant isn't it.  It is, however, just as awkward, funny, and painful in its own right.  Eleanor is a complex woman who has absolutely no idea just how strange is her life.  The road to enlightenment isn't an easy one for Eleanor--or her reader--but it is well worth the trip.
Quirky, anti-social Eleanor Oliphant is pretty comfortable with her job in accounts receivable and enjoys drinking her way through her weekends with a bottle of Chianti and a couple of bottles of vodka, staying neither drunk nor sober.

Then one evening while attending a concert she'd won in a raffle, Fate's Fickled Finger points her to "the one" singing onstage.

From then on Eleanor's life begins to change - everything is done with HIM in mind, the only problem being he doesn't know SHE exists. No matter, Eleanor sets about to win him over.

With this myopic outlook Eleanor completely fails to see the route her life is actually taking.

This is a story of awakening and healing; a journey from self-loathing to self-discovery. If you're a fan of funny, uplifting stories, you're bound to fall in love with Eleanor Oliphant! #NetGalley
Another one I'd heard wonderful things about-- my mom even recommended it to me. However, I just couldn't get into Eleanor's characterization. She's extremely judgmental, and while my mom would say, "so are you!", it grated on me. Maybe it's *too much* of a mirror text, and I found the close scrutiny too harsh.
Not the story I was expecting but a story I enjoyed. Don’t read too much about the plot. I especially loved the slow developing friendship at the center that grounded the book in reality.
Eleanor Oliphant lives alone with her plant. She works in an office, and her life is mundane, and lonely. And she has a secret. When she falls for a singer in a band her life begins to change. As the story and the mystery of her life unfold, the book becomes impossible to put down. Recommend highly.
I was not prepared for this book.  It was completely different than I expected, in a good way.  Eleanor was such a likeable character.  I felt like I was on this transformational journey with her. This book was hilarious, quirky, sad and heartbreaking at the same time.  Would definitely recommend to anyone in a reading slump.  Love, love, loved it.
I enjoyed the book until the ending. It was confusing. I had several theories about the end, and eliminated the actual ending based on how some of the conversations went. So that was frustrating. Aside from that, I did enjoy the book and I am looking forward to the movie. I enjoyed the characters' development throughout the book the most. It's a good read alike for Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig.
I loved this book. Elinor was a wonderfully quirky character who you couldn’t help rooting for. in spite of her avoidance of any kind of social life and interaction. She seems content with her ascetic life until she meets Raymond who is also different. together they meet and help Sammy and form a threesome. This new friendship in her life helps Elinor back into the real world. I was not totally surprised at the twist in the story. Elinor is a compelling character. I was very happy to see her get a happy ending and a new beginning.
This book took me SO many tries to start and finish. I honestly really loved the last 30% and would give it all the stars. But the first 70% I was really so meh on. The only reason I stuck with it was because everyone under the sun told me it was worth it. I’m glad I finally finished it, but can’t give a book that I only really loved at 70% more than three stars, but I will say, Eleanor is quite a memorable character that will stay with me for some time.
Oh, Eleanor! How very fine you are! Eleanor is a hot mess, much like the rest of us sometimes. Her life is an organized shambles. She has no friends, she gets by on a pizza and exactly a half bottle of vodka.
One day she takes a chance on friendship and everything starts falling apart or into place depending on how you look at it. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is a delightful book with completely likeable characters who make cringe-worthy choices at times. The ending is a little shocking . . . . but it totally fits with the book, and it gives the reader pause to think and hope.
I am at a bit of a loss on how to describe this book, which itself is a testament to its originality…part Cinderella story, part horror story, and part love story. Eleanor is a 30 year old functional alcoholic and trauma survivor whose odd and sheltered childhood has prevented her from learning social skills and norms in a way reminiscent of a person with Asperger’s. Eleanor is content to plow her way through her tedious workdays and drink her way through empty weekends until she makes the acquaintance of a colleague, an IT worker named Raymond. Their emergent friendship is a framework for Eleanor’s social, physical, and emotional evolution, all the while pushing the narrative toward a denouement of Eleanor’s traumatic past. Overall, an enjoyable and thought provoking novel.