The Lauras

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Nov 2017

I flew through this book. It was like sinking into something foreign but delicious.

There were a lot of dots not connected for me - a lot of why was this included and why wasn't this - but I loved it anyway.

Free copy from netgalley for an honest review.
The Lauras is the story of a mother and her child after they leave the father and take off on some charted but mysterious route across the U.S. as designed by the mother. Even as this trip is one of the mother's making, Alex finds that it becomes his/her journey as Alex grows up on the road, meeting a darker side of life, encountering hormones, adapting to a nomadic lifestyle.

This mother-child tale is entrancing and well-written. Told chronologically with insertions of Alex's mother's childhood, The Lauras manages to cover a time period of a couple of years without ever feeling rushed. It is an emotional tale that conveys the beauty of first love, the humiliation of puberty, the longing for an undefined sense of home. It also manages to interact with and embrace different forms of identity and sexuality with respect and without exploitation or menace.

The novel does deal with some potentially troubling topics including non consensual sexual situations, prostitution, and a nomadic sense of homelessness.

Thanks to the publisher for an advance digital copy in exchange for a fair review!