Cover Image: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

DNF at 38%. When I first saw this book I didn't think it looked like my cup of tea. But then I saw it was Taylor Jenkins Reid and I thought, "yes, please." Sadly, I should've gone with my first instinct. I pretty much hated Evelyn - both in the present and the past. I felt a little sorry for her as a young girl, but then she grew up into an awful person who did awful things and was not the least bit sorry about it. Now, I can read and enjoy books that have unlikable characters. But I either have to love to hate them or they have to have some type of redeeming quality and I felt like both of those aspects were missing here. I also didn't really find Monique developed enough to care about one way or the other, but by the time I stopped reading I was growing to dislike her a bit. I'm sure there will be many people who like this book, but unfortunately I'm not one of them.
I want Evelyn Hugo to be real, I want to watch her movies and I want to watch Celia's movies. Heartbreaking, intriguing and brave Evelyn Hugo is a great summer read. Thank you Netgalley for the arc.
I was invited to read this but it is not a title I'm interested in...
Perhaps I'm too young to fully relate to the idea of old Hollywood glamour but Jenkins Reid tries to make it relevant. Ultimately, it's dragged down by the idea of the seven husbands, who become a blur of the same "I married them but didn't love them for various reasons." .
LOVE IT!! Taylor is one of my all time favorite Authors and a must click always!
I really enjoyed this book. The Old Hollywood setting was vibrant and realistic, and Evelyn was a flawed, dynamic and interesting character. I wish that Monique had been given more depth, because even though she was really just a vessel for Evelyn's story, it was a bit off-putting to read her that way. And although I found Evelyn and her friends and family fascinating, I had a hard time connecting to any of them, besides probably Harry, who was my favorite. The twist at the end was unexpected, though I am not sure whether I liked it or not...Overall an entertaining read perfect for summertime on the beach or poolside, but ultimately not one that will really stay with me.
This story was beyond amazing. First novel I've read by the author and I'm mind blown. I decided this was going to be my first read by the author due to my highly obsession with old hollywood. And I fell in love. I love the characters, the writing, the plot line. I felt like I was in old hollywood.
Unfortunately, I will not be reviewing this book formally as my review would not be favorable. I have loved every Taylor Jenkins Reid book prior to this one but this one feel infinitely short. It felt contrived to the extreme and I honestly couldn't find one positive thing to say about this book. Best of luck, I look forward to other books by this author in the future and hope they work out for me.
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo better be on the top of your summer to-read list. If it's not--trust me you will want to add it!

For those of you who have read the magic that is Taylor Jenkins Reid, you won't be surprised to hear that her newest novel is nothing short of amazing. But here's a surprise: It's totally different from anything she's written before.

This story has the intrigue and scandal that you'd expect from anything centered around the 50s and 60s era in Hollywood but it also has much more. There's something so interesting about the sudden relationship between reporter Monique Grant and the famous actress, Evelyn Hugo. When Evelyn requests Monique out of the blue to write her biography, Monique is awestruck, suspicious and nervous. But as she listens to Evelyn tell her life story, there are many things that change for Monique. In hearing the struggles and various love stories from Hugo, Monique starts to untangle stories that are going on in her own heart. I just can't express how much I truly enjoyed this book. There are stories intertwined with the bigger plot that pull at your heart strings, there is a massively important theme about love, forgiveness and acceptance and major plot twists that you don't see coming...it's just an amazing story.
The squee that emitted from my mouth when I was approved for this ARC. Taylor Jenkins Reid never disappoints and THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO was not an exception.

RELEASE DATE : June 2017

PUBLISHER : Atira Books

DISCLAIMER : Novel sent via NetGallery in exchange for a honest review.

SYNOPSIS : Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now? Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband, David, has left her, and her career has stagnated. Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career. Summoned to Evelyn’s Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn’s life unfolds through the decades—revealing a ruthless ambition, an unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love—Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn’s story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

REVIEW : I loved this book. With each book, Reid just happens to excel a little bit more - her narrative, her complexity, her characters. Each story becomes a more intricate pattern and woven tapestry that I just can't help wrapping myself in. Be sure to have some time handy, you'll want to devour this in a day.

Monique is working at her daily magazine job when she is seemingly plucked out to the blue to spear head a interview with legendary film actress Evelyn Hugo. A female icon in her own right, Hugo has the talent, the sexual appeal, the husbands, and the stories to portray a star-studded Hollywood upbringing. She's been mostly silent...up until now, and she wants Monique to head up her memoirs. Struck at the chance opportunity, Monique can't help but feel there is a catch...and in Hollywood, there is always a twist ending. Dive deep into Evelyn's tumultuous career along with Monique, and experience how Evelyn got those 'seven' husbands and how love left it's invisible fingerprints along the way.

I won't write too spoilery of a review because it's still so early.

This novel is flawfree.

A narrative that pushes boundaries, is direct, embraces femininity and sexuality and is unapologetic for it. It has the makings to be a tremendous let down but it flows beautifully. Reid has hit the nail on the head with this one, and left me so desperate for more - more Evelyn, more Monique, more fleeting tales of the flurry of love.

What I loved the most was the unexpected. This novel is unexpected. It touches upon themes I won't ruin here and that are not hinted at within the synopsis. It's unexpectedness makes it beautiful and so 2017 - it's what's needed now, in this world, in this timeline. A beautiful love story, inside and out.

A must read.
I loved this book from start to finish - complicated, interesting, and I loved the story within a story, which I typically don't like. ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first of Marie Bostwick's work that I've read - now I can't wait to read all of it.  I was completely mesmerized by Evelyn Hugo - WHAT a great character!  And I found myself pulling for Monique early on, and still cheering for her on the very last page of the book.  loved it!  This is a book I'll be sharing with friends and family.
I'm going to be honest and say that Taylor Jenkins Reid is one of my favorite authors nowadays, so when I was able to get my hands on a very early e-galley of her newest novel, I was quite happy. The good news is, this novel is just as good as her previous ones, and it was quite a compelling read.
Fan-freaking-tastic!!!  The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is an absolute masterpiece!!  I love when a book can completely captivate me to the point I literally forget the rest of world, and this gem did exactly that!  Taylor Jenkins Reid stepped a little outside of her box for this book and what she came up with will blow you away!

I debated several ways to write this review, and I ultimately decided to not give details on the storyline because I don't want to spoil anything for you.  I encourage everyone to read the synopsis and then dive into this fabulous novel.  The plot was well thought out and the characters were fascinating, as I began nearing the end of the book, I truly didn't want it to end.  Very, very rarely do I want to re-read a novel as soon as I finish (I am totally re-reading immediately after typing out this review)!!  This book is hands down a 5+++ star novel and is at the very top of my 2017 favorites list!!  I promise you will not regret 1-clicking this gem---it's THAT epic!!
Why did I love this book?
It is original and beautifully written
It speaks about LOVE in all its many manifestations
It totally engaged me as a reader
It is exceedingly topical
It takes the reader through women's history and that of the LGBTQ community
It brings depth to both Evelyn and her emanuensis, Monique
It has a very satisfying and meaningful ending

This is a novel that is so well done, that the reader finds it hard to believe it was not truly a memoir. When Monique is called to write the memoir of one of the screen greats, Evelyn Hugo, we are anxious to hear about her Seven husbands, rather we learn about the essential truth of her life, only tangentially connected to her marriages.

Reid brought me into Evelyn's world, the world of Hollywood, homophobia and the price of fame. Each character is examined with sufficient depth, but never with confusing details. It is a portrait of a woman and an era painted in rich colors.

Evelyn allows the reader to understand her actions and her feelings. We see her in love with spouse, friend, lover and child. Finally, we learn why Monique has been asked to write her memoir and this ties every part of the plot together with a giant bow.

Bringing this book to the beach, or snuggling up with it will bring the reader on an engaging journey into the life and emotions of a screen icon.