Member Review

Joanne D, Reviewer

Last updated on 13 Aug 2017

I Recommend This Book

Strongly

I am relatively new to Holly Martin's novels as I only discovered her towards the end of last year. And I am pleased to be back with her and the characters she writes about and the places she sets her novels.

Novels often can be described as transporting you to another place, Holly Martin's novels should be at the very top of this category.

Bella lives on Hope Island, an island which is part of the Scilly Isles and it is a place where everyone knows your business, whether you try to hide it or not. In the case of Bella, everyone knows she lived with her aunt and uncle because her mother abandoned her and she was unintentionally caught up in a fraud case in her previous work.

Bella trusts few people despite her seemingly happy outgoing look on life. She really is only close to the family that she grew up with, including Rome and Eden her brother and sister. She cannot let anyone in.

Down on her luck and having to live on porridge, she still finds time to help a homeless man, she finds on her doorstep. Blunt with him as she literally has no money, she offers the next best thing, a bowl of porridge and her sofa for the night. Trouble is Isaac is not who he says he is and it turns out that helping someone can lead to all sorts of problems and some rather interesting situations.

Isaac is back home, he wants to come back to where people like him for who he is and not because he has money and can perhaps help them further their careers. Bella does not know who he is now and they clearly have some sort of chemistry growing between them but Isaac needs to tell her the truth before she make a complete fool of herself.

Something that Bella does a lot as the book goes on, but actually it is not making a fool of herself, it is so sweetly endearing and lovely that you cannot help but smile, because somehow she picks herself up and turns the whole situation around. Not to say that I didn't smile to myself as our feisty Bella sitting in a job interview in a green bridesmaid dress with her assets on show!

Bella manages to pick Isaac up when tragedy strikes and she shows him that you perhaps need very little in life to survive. Isaac shows her what love can and should be like. Bella is trying to resist but misunderstandings continue through the novel and you wonder if perhaps Isaac just hasn't got the strength to fight against Bella's determination not to fall in love and break down the walls.

This book has everything in equal measure and plenty more. I laughed, I cried and I even confess to dreaming about my own Isaac, sweeping me off my feet. The book completely took me away to Hope Island, and its scenery and residents, and the wonder that is Holly Martin's writing.