You Bring the Distant Near

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Sep 2017

We start off meeting Sonia and Tara, two sisters of Indian parents, who are moving to New York having lived in London, Ghana, and India.  Although sharing some of the same family issues, the sisters approach their integration into American culture very differently and with results that reflect their personalities.  As this novel skips ahead from 1965 to 2006, we are introduced to Sonia's and Tara's new families and offspring, and the cousins' relationships become interwoven with their mothers and grandmothers.  With great warmth, this novel describes an extended multi-cultural family, with its tensions, losses, closeness, and resolutions.
The Das women have a complicated history and identity. Perkins’ novel spans 40+ years, three generations, and four continents. Through multiple voices, the reader quickly learns the complicated narrative shared by mothers and daughters and discovers what it is that ties us all together. If you liked All We Have Left or Still Life with Tornado, you’ll like this.
Thank you to Macmillan and Netgalley for the advance copy of this book. I was on the fence about whether it would resonate with my middle school readers, and now I cannot wait to get this into my students' hands!
Mitali Perkins has woven a masterful tale that encompasses three generations of the Das family. They leave India in the 1960s, and after several stops arrive in the United States. The story is filled with the ups and downs of living within a new culture, and shows the strong ties that family and heritage have and how it shapes the identities of generations to come. I honestly can't do it justice; I just hope my students can either find themselves or open their eyes to a reality that is different from their own in these pages.
I have long been a fan of Mitali Perkins, and YOU BRING THE DISTANT NEAR has further solidified my dedication.  This book is a masterpiece.  I felt real emotion for the characters and loved the structure which allowed insight into three generations of women from the same family.  There is so much to admire about this book - it throws open the door to deep reflection on family, women, culture, love, community...Mitali Perkins at her very best.
I really enjoyed this book and was captured by the writing from page one.  I also enjoyed learning about Indian culture which I, unfortunately, do not know much about.  The only reason I am giving it three stars is because I feel like it wrapped up rather quickly and that we did not get to know Ranee's granddaughters as well as her daughters.
I could not put this book down. I was so good from beginning to end and I can't wait to read more from the author