Cover Image: The Salt Line

The Salt Line

Not as literary as some, more of a reality feel show. Entertaining over enlightening.
Thank you Putnam and Netgalley for the digital ARC.
This book was so good. The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars were the flashbacks, which I felt slowed the pace of the book down. I love dystopian novels and this was one of the best I have read in a long time. The writing was excellent. I would love for there to be a sequel to find out what happens with these characters. Highly recommend.
Great read! Looking forward to reading more by this author! Highly recommend!
This book is definitely worth the read, although I felt the ending was not very strong, nor did it bring any type of closure. The concept was interesting and sort of fresh and overall I greatly enjoyed the read. I was just left feeling unsatisfied at the end. That being said, I would definitely read whatever the author puts out next (as long as it is reasonably within the same genre).
This seemed to be a fitting book to read right now during tick season. I liked the thought provoking "  what cost is too high" as it relates to multiple issues. I liked the back stories to the characters and how it helped you see their personality as they fit with the present day story line.  Pocketz seemed a plausible future to our social media and that made it a bit more believable.   The ending was good. It wasn't really happy but it was fitting.  I started reading thinking it was just an adventure, people vs. nature, survival but it was much more than that.
Admittedly it was  partly morbid fascination that drew me to this dystopian novel describing a future in which a tick infestation has driven humanity to barricade itself in a series of safe zones.. What kept me reading was a thrilling plot involving  a group of (mostly) wealthy individuals on an extreme adventure trip that doesn't go as planned.   Through chapters written from the view points of several different characters, the reader comes to sympathize with and understand the motivations of the people involved. While telling a story involving hostage taking, drug smuggling and the search for a solution to the bug problem, the novel raises the question of what we are willing to sacrifice for safety.
I don't give 5 stars easily, but this book deserved every one of them. It was memorable, terrifying, and one of the most tense novels I have ever read. Maybe I should give it 4.5 stars because the pacing had a few issues early on with bad placement of flashbacks, but I can't justify it. This book was really that good. Why?

~Killer world-building. Figuratively and literally. Those ticks will kill you, but the book is about so much more than just killer ticks. It's a rich world with depth.

~Flawed but lovable characters. I adored Marta and Wes. I definitely wanted more from them because there were several POVs and some I adored more than others, but even the characters that were considered antagonists had reasonable motivations and it made you feel for them. I was seriously impressed by the depth of the characters considering how many there were.

~The suspense. I could have chewed my nails off. This book was full of conflict and twists and turns even I couldn't see coming. I was blown away by almost every moment in this book. There was never a time when it didn't keep me guessing.

I'm not sure yet if this will be my favorite book of 2017 as it's still the first half of the year, but it's definitely my favorite thus far and will be in the running all year long. Please, PLEASE give this book a chance. It's original and about so much more than killer ticks, but guys, even that part is SO. WELL. DONE. This book caught me by surprise. I expected a gory mess of a thriller that I would possibly enjoy, and I got that, but I also got a book about relationships and sacrifices when lives are on the line. It's character-driven AND plot-driven, and what it is is wonderful.

ETA: I do not think this book is a standalone. It does not end on a cliffhanger, but the ending is very open ended and basically opens an intriguing new storyline. I actually loved the ending but it gave me anxiety only because I want the next book now, and there has to be a next book. It cannot end like that.

My review goes live on September 1st.
And you thought Lyme disease was bad! Somewhere in the perhaps not so distant future, the United States is only a shadow of its former self, a geographically smaller place where humans stay behind a “salt line” a place where humans are safe from ticks, who carry deadly disease. There is some semblance of normal life in this new place, but not all the residents are ruled by their fear about what lies beyond the borders. Some people like to push their luck by “jumping the line”, getting an adrenaline kick and a respite from the numbness of the world they now reside in. Among them are a small group, consisting of a housewife, former pop star, his girlfriend and a tech wiz, who find more than they bargained for when they venture outside the safe zone. Kidnapped by survivors who have created their own makeshift world called Ruby City, the group has to deal with both the deadly ticks and the survivors, either of which has the capacity to kill them all. A creepy, literate dystopian novel, that has a unique plot twist and enough thrills to please fans of the genre