Before I Let Go

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jan 2019

This was just my least favorite trope of a book where someone goes back to their small home town after a death of a mentally ill person they were close to. I really don't think I can verbalize my own distaste for books like this in a way that doesn't make me sound defensive and angry about my own mental illness. It feel pretty complex to talk about because everyone's experience of mental illness is unique and can vary but just like I'm trying to be in a good place and I didn't really want this shit on my mind again you know? Like sometimes getting better means getting some distance and I think it was just off timing for me to pick this up at this moment. I'm not sure if it's just me being in a place where I would be irritated by a book like this or if other people also found the book to be lacking. Like just how many of these books can one read with over the top exaggerated portrayals of mentally ill people, and like extra points for entangling the persons mental illness with some mysticism. I think this one is just on me for not reading the summary/blurb before picking a book up. I also think I would've been more forgiving of the book if I thought the writing was better or if the plot line felt more engaging. I also just found it so hard to believe that like high school students would be allowed to be running around in the Alaskan wilderness the way it seemed like Corey and Kyra were. I also just lacked any feeling towards any of the characters. I didn't care what was happening to any of them and they just all felt like they lacked depth. Anyway this one was just not for me.
While Nijkamp delivered a well-written novel, I do think that the characters could have bene developed a bit better. I could not invest myself in them. Characters are a major component that I don't think these really reached.
This is a book that has been on my Netgalley shelf for the longest time so I was determined that I was going to pick up and begin reading this book. This was a bit of a mix book for me, it had so many things which I thought would suck me in immediately but it sort of just fell a bit short, while a good read it didn’t have that extra factor to keep me interested and determined to find out what happened. After a while with nothing really getting resolved it all sort of felt a bit meh. I’m not sure if I just couldn’t quite connect with the characters or if I just wasn’t really believing the mystery that was going on.

Now this wasn’t a book that I ever thought, do I really want to finish this book, it just wasn’t one that I was excited to get back to reading. I did really enjoy the writing itself as some of the descriptions were fantastic and the feeling of eeriness was definitely conveyed through the pages. Unfortunately, it just fell a little short for me.
Was able to finally get around to reading this one, even though my NetGalley copy was lost on my old kindle.

This was a solid 3.5-4 out of 5 for me. I feel like everyone was raving about this when it first came out, and maybe I would have felt the same if I was able to read it sooner. I still very much enjoyed this but I think since I let the hype settle, I went into it more critically.

I'd still recommend this to a friend.
Before I Let Go is a good read.  It hooked me and I didn't want to put it down.  It's an interesting read that at points had me wondering actually what was going on in Lost Creek.   Corey and Kyra were best friends.    Corey moves away and doesn't kept great touch with Kyra but she plans to go back and visit.  Before Corey gets back to Lost Creek, Kyra passes away.    Before Corey left Kyra was an outcast in town but when Corey returns to Lost Creek everybody has changed.  There are weird things going on in Lost Creek.  Corey is not one to sit back and she tries to figure out what's going on.   I really liked Corey.   There were points I wondered of Corey would make it out of Lost Creek.  I liked this one but would have liked a little more at the end.
This was an odd one- I’m not sure that I enjoyed this novel but I also didn’t dislike it. It’s a little slow, and a little weird, and has so many TWs I’m not sure I can list them.

It’s a good novel with an interesting premise and a peculiar plot that ought to have grabbed me but it all felt a little bland. A shame.
I’m looking at this book through a different lens than most of the people reviewing, I think. I didn’t see this book as a thriller or suspense (which is one of my fav genres) but as a book focused on the battle of mental wellness and trying to make sense of the non-sensical.

I’m always hesitant to read books with mental health rep and only read ones by authors I trust. I trust Marieke because of her own experiences and the fact that This is Where It Ends nearly broke me.

I interpreted the story as a look at how the world (or a small community) sees a person with mental health concerns...not a sum of their parts but defined by one piece of them (see: allegory with art). I saw a close friend try to make sense of suicide and other’s grief processes.

This book is dark and deep (but hello, did you read her debut? You should expect this). I’m still mulling it over in my mind.
I did enjoy this book but in some places it was a little slow. Overall it was a good story.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this book!
This story unfortunately felt very rushed in certain spots. I enjoyed it overall but found myself wishing certain things had been explored more and other had just been omitted. I did really like the approach of using multiple POVs to tell the story.
I struggled a bit with this story honestly. The description sounded promised but somewhere along the way, it lost its magic a little and the end felt like it was missing something. Overall, I enjoyed the author's style, just found the story a bit...predictable maybe. Was hoping for more.
I wasn't too sure about this one, but since a friend told me that I had to read this book, I figured I would give it a shot. I'm so happy that I did because she was right, I loved it! I couldn't get enough of this story/plot. I had to know what was going to happen next. Lovely writing and I loved the character development as well. Another great read!
A book that had my attention from the get go! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.and would recommend to friends
A predictable thriller where a teen commits suicide and the friend left behind doesn't believe it to be true.

Whilst I desperately wanted to like the book after reading the synopsis and looking forward to starting it I just didn't enjoy it. Unfortunately the story felt flat and the characters under developed and therefore I was not invested
I was really looking forward to reading Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp when I originally downloaded it from Netgalley, then life got in the way, and I just had the chance to get things finished. The is first book my Marieke Nijkamp that I’ve read, and I really enjoy her writing style.

To get into the meat and potatoes part, because I know what you really want to know about, is the book. I had a difficult time liking Corey, but really enjoyed the flashback parts of the story. Corey, after moving away, seems to have forgotten Kyra until Kyra is no longer there. Multiple times throughout the story she acknowledges stacks of unopened letters, but is mad at the town of Lost Creek for not helping Kyra when she needed it.

The book didn’t really clear up any of the problems throughout. Some one set fire to the guesthouse with Corey inside, but other than referring to her chest and throat hurting from smoke, nothing else is said about it. I feel like the story could have been better balanced, and actually closed up some storylines. While we knew from the beginning it would only be so many days, nothing was really resolved, which left me wishing for a bit more closure to a stand alone novel.
Best friends Corey and Kyra were inseparable in their snow covered town of Lost Creek, Alaska..
When Corey moves away, she makes Kyra promise to stay strong during the long, dark winter, and wait for her return.
Just days before Corey is to return home to visit, Kyra dies.. Corey is devastated and confused. The entire town talks about Kyra's death in a hushed tone about the lost daughter, saying her death was meant to be. They push Corey away like she is a stranger. Corey knows that something is very wrong. With every hour, her suspicion grows. But trying to piece together the death of her best friend proves to be more difficult than lighting the sky in an Alaskan winter...
This was a interesting read, I was invested to find out what happened to Kyra, but on the other hand it wasn't one of the best stories I have ever read.. I tried to stay into the book, I praise the author for trying to hold my attention, I just felt that it was a very slow coming to the suspenseful portions of the story. I however didn't really enjoy the whole plot, I did enjoy the setting as I am a North Carolina girl who has always wanted to visit Alaska..
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book..
I’ve determined I don’t like this author’s writing style and cannot give a good review for her. Sorry, I can’t.
I was curious enough to find out what happened to our main character's best friend. I really and truly was. I just....couldn't get into the story as much as I had wanted to. I ended up not finishing this novel.
I really enjoyed this book. I was so gripped that I ended up reading it in two sittings. It had such a spooky atmosphere and all the characters were really creepy. I also really enjoyed the fact that there were various storytelling formats mixed in, such as letters and phone calls.

The only real problem I had was that there were some things that didn't get explained, but that didn't bother me too much, and overall I loved this book, and can't wait to see what Marieke comes out with next.
On the one hand, it has a very interesting premise. But a lot of the time, I had no idea what was going on, and that stayed with me for the rest of the book. It just felt so all over the place. The characters were meh. The plot was confusing.
I was not a fan of this book. It was cliche and uncreative. I also didn't like how she used LGBTQ topics. I'm all for equality, especially in literature, but not the way the author used it.