An American Marriage

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2018

When you request book through Netgalley, they would like you to let them know if certain things caused you to request the book. I keep hearing about this book? Nope, hadn't heard a thing about this one when I asked it. Now, sure, Oprah's picked it for her book club but she hadn't when I requested this one. Cover? Sure, it's a lovely cover and perfect once you read the book but it's not attracted me to the book. Description? Didn't even read it and I'm really glad I hadn't before I started reading it. Author? Check. This is entirely the reason I requested this book. I've been hearing about Jones' Silver Sparrow since before it came out and knew she was an impressive writer. Why not start with her latest? Well, maybe because it's going to be hard for Silver Sparrow to measure up to this one when I finally get to it.

Is it enough of a review for me to simply tell you that you have to read this book? I need you to read this book so I can talk about it with you!

It's so good in so many ways, as an examination on marriage, as a commentary on our criminal justice system, and as a commentary on racial injustice. It sounds dark and heavy and it is. Jones doesn't pull any punches. But she also gives readers humor, sass, beautiful stories of family, and such lovely writing. Jones made me tear up, she made me smile, she made me hold my breath, and she made me so angry. In the end, she made me sad to leave these characters. I miss them.
"But home isn't where you land; home is where you launch. You can't inc your home any more than you can choose your family. In poker, you get five cards. Three of them you can swap out, but two are yours to keep: family and native land."
An American Marriage is not merely heartbreaking, it is devastating. But, in the end, Jones leaves readers with hope.
I didn’t love this book as fully as others, including most critics, but I can’t deny that it was haunting. Using letters as the primary way to tell the story was effective in creating a distance between Roy and Celestial that filled up in my mind with everything unsaid and unknown.  I just felt some of the plot elements were a bit contrived, otherwise it would have gotten 5 stars from me.
Roy and Celestial have been married for almost two years when their relationship takes a hit no one could ever anticipate. As they are in rural Louisiana visiting Roy's family, he is wrongly accused of a crime he didn't commit. Sentenced to twelve years in a Louisiana prison, the time they have spent married will be much shorter than the time they are about to spend apart. Will they both be able to survive the predicament they are in? With Celestial in Atlanta trying to continue to live her life and Roy in Louisiana, writing letters back and forth and having sporadic visits, will their marriage survive?

Thank you to NetGalley and Algonquin Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I enjoyed this book from start to finish. One of the best books I have read so far this year. This has also been selected as an Oprah Book Club Selection.

Can you imagine what you would do if one night you and your husband were asleep in a hotel bed, enjoying some time away from home visiting family. When all of a sudden, your door is ripped open and you both are snatched out of bed. Your husband is being charged for a crime he couldn't have committed. An earlier act of kindness, now turned into something it is not. Then he is tried for the crime and convicted and has to spend twelve years behind bars. How will your marriage survive this? Are you going to pick up the life you have built in one state to move to another and be closer to him, even though you can only see him once a week? Will you continue to live your life and make that journey? Or will you leave him to his own devices in jail, there is nothing more you can do for him and the wait is just too much to bear? What would you do?

Celestial, has not had an easy life. On the outside, her life looks pretty incredible, with parents who had made something for themselves and live in a wealthy part of Atlanta. Roy, though he didn't come from much, had graduated from college and proven himself in the professional world. This is the type of couple you always would think, nothing like this could happen to them. But things like this happen every day. Hundreds of men and women are in prison now for crimes they did not commit.

A heart breaking and compelling story about love, marriage, and life and how we all try our best to survive it one day at a time.
This is a gorgeous, sweeping novel that follows the lives and marriage of Celestial and Roy in the South. A thoughtful novel about not only love and marriage, it takes a stand on racial and wealth/class injustice in America. The differences between the haves and have nots is nothing new, but the author seamlessly combines all the issues and weaves in the ends to craft this amazing story.  The main characters are so well written but there are other secondary characters that are just as vivid. This is an intense story that will linger in my mind for a long time.  I could not be happier that it has received the blessing of Oprah, now I know that millions will read this book. Thank you so much for allowing me to read and review An American Marriage.
Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt let down by this book. Most of the main characters, I did not like, well Roy improved for most of the book, but Celestial...um no. And her friend Andre could never really be trusted. Yet you don't have to like the people who populate the book for it to be good. And there are some aspects in this book that's good to be out there, and talked about, and there's some subtly to it. The main issue in the book is a HUGE problem, incarceration of black men, especially falsely accused of rape.

At one point Celestial says, like a secret let out "I'm a bad person." Well, am I a bad person for not liking this book? A major part of the book was told in letters, but not entirely. Maybe would've been stronger if it stayed in that form. Or even stronger without Andre's point of view. I'm glad this book is out there and hope for it to do well. Just wasn't a strong, great book for me.
Celestial and Roy are a young married couple just starting out in life. She is starting out with a doll making business, more artsy than toyish. He has dreams of his own. A night back in his hometown leads to Roy becoming incarcerated. The story takes us through all of this in letters between the two of them. And there is also Andre in the equation. Dre is Celestial’s lifelong friend and the one who first introduced them.  As time passes in prison for Roy, Celestial’s life moves on and that includes a relationship with Andre.

There is an almost poetic tone to the writing in this novel. A few times, I had to stop and reread a few phrases, tossing them around on my tongue to really savor them. It is the complete circle of a love story and it’s done very well. It is also a timely topic about race. It is a very well written book and I am happy that I received a copy from Netgalley and Alqonquin Books.

It occurred to me not long into reading "An American Marriage" that I don't read many books with African American protagonists. I don't read many African American authors either. I'm so glad Tayari Jones' newest novel found its way to me through Netgalley.

"An American Marriage" is the story of a young black couple, barely two years married. It's the story of Roy, the husband, who comes from a poorer background but is making up for that with dreams and ambition. It's the story of his wife, Celestial, a talented artist who is swept along by Roy's dreams and who is given opportunities from the wealthy background of her parents.

It's a story of injustice. It's a story of our justice and penal systems. It's a story of whether a marriage can survive against all odds.

During a trip home to visit Roy's parents, the young couple stay in a hotel where Roy goes to get ice after a dramatic fight. He meets an older woman, chats with her and walks her back to her room.

Later that night, someone rapes that woman. It isn't Roy, but she accuses him of raping her and Roy is convicted and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

But this isn't a story about being on trial or in prison. It's about Roy and Celestial: how they met, how they ended up together, how they feel about their families, how they feel about each other and how all of this will affect their marriage.

Most of the early part of the story focuses on letters sent between Roy and Celestial. This method of storytelling acts as a montage of sorts, propelling us forward in time from the day of Roy's conviction to his release from prison after five years.

Through these letters, we learn their passion for one another. But we also learn about the deep hurt they have caused one another. We see them initially come together in support of one another, but then see how time and distance pull them apart.

The rest of the story plays out in from different points of views: Roy's, Celestial's and Andre's - Celestial's childhood friend who also introduced her to Roy.

Each of them, as well as their families, have been affected by Roy's prison sentence. All of their lives moved on without him. All of them grew and changed while he was away. He now has to figure out how he fits into their lives - if he even does.

"An American Marriage" is spellbinding and haunting. The themes of a struggling marriage and family drama are familiar to most readers.

There may have been some cultural aspects of the book that I missed or didn't fully understand, but overall, "An American Marriage" is a wonderful, emotional, powerful and bittersweet story.

Now that I've been lucky enough to discover Tayari Jones, I will be sure to read her other three novels, each of which sounds riveting.

Roy, a young black man, is tried and wrongly convicted of rape while his wife, Celestial, waits for his return. But Jones’s story isn’t the one we are expecting, a courtroom drama or an examination of the prison-industrial complex; instead, it is a clear vision of the quiet devastation of a family. The novel focuses on the failed hopes of romantic love, disapproving in-laws, flawed families of origin, and the question of life with or without children that all married couples must negotiate. It is beautifully written, with many allusions to black music and culture — including the everyday poetry of the African-American community that begs to be heard.
This was a dark, beautiful story. Dark due to the subject matter and beautiful due to the author's writing and the way she wrote about this great tragedy. While the story is fiction, the subject matter is not.

A happily married couple and their best friends' lives are changed forever due to the wrongful imprisonment of the husband. The story was told through three characters, their point of view, along with letters to and from the husband as a prisoner for five years. This story was written in such a way that you GET these characters. They became a part of me and while sad, very sad, I enjoyed the journey and the insight.

A wonderful read which I sped through and enjoyed very much.

Thanks to Algonquin Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
This was one of my most highly anticipated reads of 2018. I wasn’t sure what to expect but in the end it did not disappoint.

Celestial and Roy are a couple who are dealt a terrible hand. Having only been married a year and a half, Roy is literally torn from their bed and sentenced to 12 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. It is difficult enough to make a marriage work let alone when one of you is in jail – and wrongfully accused.

This was a tough read. There are a lot of subjects I’m ignorant on, and mass incarceration is one of them. In the book I didn’t understand why there wasn’t a rape kit, DNA testing, etc. How was Roy so easily committed for something he didn’t do? I still don’t know if that’s the norm, or if that’s just the norm if you’re black and accused. Either way it’s disgusting and disgraceful.

My heart broke right along with Roy’s and Celestials’ and this book had me crying less than 100 pages in.

I loved Jones’ writing. It was truthful, and visceral, sharp tongued and didn’t sugar coat anything. I particularly loved reading the letters Roy wrote and received to and from Celestial, and the others in his life. It was a unique and truthful way to communicate to the reader what was going on. They weren’t able to talk face to face every day, and through letters things can get misinterpreted. I liked that that was included.

I don’t want to give away any spoilers on how it ends. I think it’s important not to know what happens, going into it. I will say the actions of Roy and Celestial are very believable. These are two imperfect humans trying to survive through what was dealt to them. I don’t think you can blame each of them for doing, acting, and saying what they did.

Although this book has a lot of heartbreak in it, I do think this story is one, ultimately of hope.
I think I am in the minority here when I say I didn’t really enjoy this book that much.  To be honest here, after reading half of the novel, I had to look up the title to make sure this was the novel that everyone was raving about.

It’s about injustice, marriage and compromise.  I wasn’t rooting for anyone in this novel, not because I didn’t like them, it was because I believed everything was too new for the characters and I didn’t think they knew themselves who they were.

Take Celestial for example. She was a new bride, a woman who was trying to create her own line of dolls and also trying to market them. All of this in one year.  Her new husband Roy, was also trying on his new role of being a husband.  I thought Roy enjoyed being a top dog amongst both males and females.  What was beneath that role, I don’t think he truly knew but he liked to be on top.  Their friend Dre carried a lot of history that couldn’t be swept under the rug.  He didn’t want to go away, he saw a void and filled it.  I wondered if he became too comfortable or too reliable to Celestial when Roy was out of the picture? Was it fear of the unknown that brought them closer together?

I was glad when Roy was finally released.  I was happy that Celestial family stood by his side throughout the whole ordeal.  I was hoping for a totally different ending to this novel. One that put everyone on neutral ground.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley and Algonquin Books in exchange for an honest opinion.
An American Marriage will cause you to question everything you believed about commitment. Roy and Celestial have been married just over a year when Roy is wrongly accused of a crime and sentenced to 12 years in prison. Jones takes a searing look at marriage when put upon by the injustices of society.
I had been mulling this one over for awhile trying to decide if I wanted to read it. Then I learned it was going to be Oprah's next pick so I figured I would put in a request with netgalley and low and behold I was accepted.
Many people have reviewed this better than I could hope to so I won't prattle on too long. This is a love story of a brief marriage that is interrupted by a false accusation and conviction. While I did feel much of this, oh too necessary story, was predictable, the characters did leap off the page, the story was moving for all it has to say about love, duty, obligation, family, mass incarceration, and the lifelong affects of false accusations.
I would definitely recommend it for anyone, just expect to be moved but not surprised.
Thank you to the publisher for providing me with this arc available through netgalley.
I loved this book so much that I had to get an audio copy so I could finish it while I was driving.

I received an ARC of this book from the punlisher via NetGalley.
Tayari Jones does not sugar coat her stories. They are raw, they are real. In her latest book “An American Marriage” her characters deal with the realities of their place in this world.

The characters are well developed – all with flaws, all with positive qualities. There were times I wanted to embrace a character and then later I felt like asking the same character “What were you thinking?!!” No one was all good, nor all bad. They were real! I had no idea how I wanted the story to go. I kept changing my mind. And I was never sure how the author would end their story.

This is the story of Roy and Celestial Hamilton who met through her best friend Dre. Roy and Celestial married and were deeply in love when after only 18 months of marriage had their world turned upside down. Roy goes to prison for a crime he did not commit. While he is away Celestial turns to Dre for support. Then when he is released he returns to different life. Has his marriage survived? Love, race, trust, loyalty, honesty, family obligations are all explored. This is a heartfelt story, nothing flashy. Ms. Jones wrote in such a way that I could feel the pain the characters felt over the decisions they had to make. No one was going to escape untouched.

‘An American Marriage” is perfect for book clubs. It lends itself to an amazing discussion of the choices made, the consequences, the interactions, race inequality, feminism, family definition.

Mistakes are made, loved ones are betrayed, the term family is redefined, and emotions are laid bare. This is real life.

Also posted on BookBrowse.com,  Facebook group (ReadingisMyPassion), Twitter (BettyLovesBooks), Edelweiss, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million
I liked this book very much. It was beautifully written and very believable. I would read more from this author.
This explores the ups and downs of dealing with a husband who has been encarerated.  The hopes and dream vs the reality.
Roy and Celestial are successful newlyweds living their dream in Atlanta when tragedy strikes. After only a year of marriage, Roy is arrested and sentenced to 12 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit and Celestial suddenly find herself living alone in a different state from her husband. Regular visits to Roy start to grow further and further apart and Celestial begins to seek comfort in her childhood friend, Andre. She realizes that the love she has for her husband might not be enough to weather his 12 year sentence and finds ways to move on with her life. Then after 5 years served, Roy is released with little notice and he returns to Atlanta to find his life extremely different than the one he left behind.

This is a portrayal of how black Americans still deal with discrimination after Jim Crow. Segregation and discrimination isn’t legally tolerated and enforced anymore but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Because of the color of his skin, Roy paid the price for a crime he didn’t commit. While he’s sitting in court, he looks at the jury and thinks all 12 of those people will not take him at his word because it’s against a white woman’s. All the while he has sympathy for the woman, because the crime committed against her was atrocious. He doesn’t begrudge her for having her memories mixed up after such a traumatic experience. But even with all the circumstantial evidence and an alibi from his wife, it’s not enough. He was a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time in Louisiana.

Everything that happens after isn’t too hard to imagine. His mother grieves and prays daily for justice to prevail and their lawyer to find the answer for his release. His wife begins to find it difficult to visit him regularly. To see Roy shrink under the weight of where he is. To be treated like less of a person because she’s visiting her husband in jail. To endure all they’ve endured after only a year of marriage seems unfathomable. To continue to endure the entire 12 year sentence seems like a lifetime. All because he was a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time. You get a good sense of the type of prejudice that replaced the legal Jim Crow system. This is an incredibly timely novel and it’s no wonder that Oprah picked it for her book club.

My only issue while reading this book was Celestial. While anyone can understand why someone would look for comfort and familiarity in her situation, I personally don’t think leaving your husband just because he’s in jail is excusable. Especially when he didn’t commit a crime. You are his source of encouragement and strength. Your visits give him something to look forward to. Your lawyers have told you that they expect to find a way to get Roy released. It will likely not be an entire 12 years. I understand they were only married a year before it happened and that you are staring 12 years alone in the face. That she was separated from him and their marriage changed shape. I really do understand that this situation would be extremely difficult. But marriage is a commitment. You cannot quit during the for worse part. All of that said, I have never been in that situation and cannot say with 100% certainty what I might be tempted to do. I only wish she could have been stronger and used her new platform to advocate for her husband and the others in similar situations.

One last thing that I found interesting is that both of the main characters found their selves back in similar situations to where they started. By the chance of their birth, Roy was born to a single mother working as a housekeeper in Louisiana and Celestial to two parents with steady jobs in an Atlanta suburb. Through hard work, Roy found himself a budding executive in Atlanta and Celestial an artist in New York. Through the circumstances of life, Roy finds himself right back where he started and Celestial back in her childhood home in Atlanta. Is Jones trying to make the point that  the chance of their birth as black Americans can make it even more difficult to change their lives? If so, I’m glad she did, because it’s something I never knew about the black American experience. And isn’t that why we read to begin with?
AN AMERICAN MARRIAGE by Tayari Jones (aka Oprah’s latest book club pick) is really good! Keeping things surface level and relatively spoiler-free, it follows an upwardly mobile newlywed couple living in Atlanta. While Roy and Celestial have their issues, their future looks bright. That is, until Roy is sent to prison for a crime he did not commit. This novel touches on SO MANY interesting themes: marriage, commitment, black incarceration, justice, family dynamics, patriarchy, and class. While all of the characters are complex, flawed and empathy-inspiring, I found myself firmly on Team Roy. Yes, a lot of readers will choose sides, which is yet another reason why this is an excellent book club choice.
First of all, I received an advanced e-galley from Net Galley for an honest review. This book had me gripped and intrigued from the very beginning as it explored the marriage of Roy and Celestial over time. From the arrest of Roy for a crime he did not commit to Celestial’s struggle with being faithful while Roy was incarcerated for five years, this book truly explores the struggles of love, marriage, fidelity, and a friendship post divorce. Extremely wonderful woven tale of the many struggles of marriage and faithfulness.
This emotional book gripped me right from the first page. It deals with every person's nightmare, going to jail for a crime they did not commit. I enjoyed how this book changed perspectives and was partly told through letters. Seeing how difficult it was for the woman married to the man in jail lead to my own thoughts of what would I do. Overall an amazing novel!