An American Marriage

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2018

This book follows Roy Jr & Celestial through their first 2 yrs of marriage before an incident upends their life together. Told from several points of view, as well as covering many years through letters to each other, this book examines what it means to be married to someone, and the values we place upon others & ourselves. This book was enjoyable.
I was introduced to this book from in a Booklist webinar, Enticing Book Club Picks.

Jones writes of a fictional family in the south, who are touched by one person being in the wrong place at the wrong time and the false accusations. The ripple effect and the harm it causes are told in narratives by various characters in the book.

Recommended for public libraries and book clubs.
Me. Jones has written an engaging tale chronicling the lives of Celestial and Roy and their circle of friends and relatives. Characters are well developed, as is the setting.
The over all story was fantastic and touched the heartstrings. The relationship between Roy and Celeste represented the true struggles of a marriage through distance and resentment. Celeste as a character reflects the need for a person to be free. Free of not only social bonds, but of expectations those closes to you have.
I raced to the end, reading the book in one day, which I never manage to do. There is a lot I really liked about this book, but the last fifth or so of the book disappointed me. The characters I came to care about exhibited choices and behavior that I feel are very much out of character. There were, in my interpretation at least, some disturbing values portrayed in the end too. Jones' writing is often stunning and the dialogue is believable. I have to give her credit for getting the Louisiana speak right (making groceries, fixing a plate) - lots of books, TV shows, and movies fail miserably at their attempt at Louisiana settings and characters, but not Jones.

This book was such an emotional ride, I can't remember the last time I was so invested in the lives of fictional characters. This book is a painful and honest look into the workings of a marriage when the husband is sent to jail, the aftermath that follows is so raw and heart wrenching. I honestly couldn't put this book down, I could not wait to learn what would ultimately happen. The author created some wonderful characters, I truly felt as though I knew them as I progressed through the book. While the subject matter may not be what I usually gravitate toward I really enjoyed this book!

I was given an advance copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review, all opinions...

See Full Review
Aside from the unneeded racial comments towards the beginning of the book, I enjoyed the book.

I loved this book so much! The ending was so unsatisfying that it took some of the initial happiness away and left me wanting answers. But anyway, what a great writer this woman is!

Story is about what happens to a marriage when a husband, wrongly accused, goes to prison. Main question is - can modern marriages stand the test of time? I wondered about the adjective 'American' in the title and I still don't see why is this story specifically related to American and not all other similar marriages across the world, but, oh well. I liked how we could follow the story from different POVs, their motives were well elaborated. That didn't make me love the husband any more...

See Full Review
I think Tayari Jones has a clear, accessible style, but this book does not have the heart of Leaving Atlanta or Silver Sparrow--for whatever reason, there just doesn't seem to be as much at stake.
This novel cements the authors well deserved reputation. Riveting and well written.
Great read! This novel has so many levels to it. What is marriage? What binds us to people? Would your marriage survive circumstances beyond your control? I liked that Jones gave the perspectives of Roy, Celestial and Andre. There is no clear right or wrong choices. I really enjoyed this novel.
I have a feeling that when this novel is released it will be the natural choice for book groups. So many things to discuss. Thanks so much to Netgalley for the chance to read this book!