Member Review

Review by

Stacie E, Reviewer

Last updated on 15 Sep 2017

I Recommend This Book

The Heart is Improvisational: An Anthology in Poetic Form, compiled & edited by Carol Lipszyc, is a collection of poems that digs deep into the many facets of the human heart and its emotions. Each section of poems is a visceral experience, whether the words we read are contemplating the physicality of the organ itself or the feelings that come from the connections we have to both our hearts and the hearts of others.

The poems are contemporary and free-verse, though some have experimented with both form and musicality. Themes range from the science of the heart to its history, the differing philosophies of love (erotic, familial, etc) and the heart's human connection to the natural world. My favorites in the collection included those about family, summer love, and a gentle, sensual love: Love Poem for My Daughter, My Heart Hears You Dreaming, Invitation, and We Kissed As Lovers Under Widowed Light.

The Heart is Improvisational is a collection of poems that will be enjoyed by any reader who wants to investigate the workings of the human heart and understand the many shades of human love. Though it will be most likely picked up by those who already read poetry, the contemporary poems in it are accessible to a wider audience as well. An anthology that brings its readers both a satisfying intellectual and emotional experience, this journey of the heart is a collection to share with someone you love.