Prince in Disguise

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Dec 2017

With the royal wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry about to become a reality, I’ve rediscovered my love of all things royal–especially when it comes to reading. I devoured The Royal We. I inhaled My Lady Jane and Kiara Cass’ Selection series too. And of course I ate up every last Princess Diaries book that there was. I might pretend like I’m a girl who cares little about girly things, but give me a story about royalty and I can’t ignore it. So when I got the chance to read Prince in Disguise by Stephanie Kate Strohm, I snapped it up faster than you can say “the Queen’s corgis are darn cute.”
Like The Royal We, Prince in Disguise is a light-hearted romance, with the exception being that it is a YA title. Dylan, the non-girly, “ordinary” sister of Dusty, who is marrying a Scottish “laird-to-be” on a reality TV show called Prince in Disguise, Dylan is dragged off to Scotland too for “the wedding of the year.” Although she is in no way excited about this trip, Dylan ends up meeting a cute, funny groomsman named Jamie who might just be more than he appears…
Reality Doesn’t Always Bite

I’ll admit that like the Selection series, I was hooked by the reality TV angle. Even though I’ll deny it forever, watching The Bachelor is a guilty pleasure of mine and this book fit right into that niche. I think it’s the “classic pretty girl who thinks she is ugly finds unwanted fame + handsome dork that draws me in every time. In Prince in Disguise, it was exciting to follow Dylan as she and Jamie tried to escape the cameramen that followed them relentlessly while their romance slowly unfolded.
Royal is Always In

Let’s be honest here. Attractive, available Princes are always in season. Am I right? Although it isn’t quite so obvious to Dylan that Jamie is a Prince as it is for the reader, it was fun watching her get to know him (while also imagining what it would be like to get to know a Prince a little better). While the snappy prose and fast-paced dialogue made Prince in Disguise a quick and enjoyable read, the plot was also well-done. It didn’t matter that I knew Jamie was a Prince right away, because it was so entertaining to see Dylan fumble through their encounters. In fact, I think it made it funnier, because she was so unaware of her real situation (and also a little bit sweeter when she learned the truth about Jamie).

The Final Word

We declare Prince in Disguise to be fun, fresh and an excellent way to satisfy all of your Royal cravings. If you’re looking for something to fill that Royal Wedding void once the Prince Harry/Meghan Markle wedding is over, pick up a copy of Prince in Disguise and you won’t be disappointed.
Oh gosh! This book had everything I ever wanted in a contemporary novel. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will definitely reread this book and continue to recommend this book to everyone around me.
A cute, fun contemporary full of Scotland, medieval castles, and a prince in disguise - this was exactly the fluffy read I had hoped for!
Oh my goodness, I loved this book so much! I need at least a dozen more like it! Prince in Disguise has everything I never knew I wanted in a contemporary. It has travel, sassy Southern belles, and sexy Scots. Dylan and Jamie's dynamic is so hilarious and cute, and at times it just makes you cringe how awkward and obvious things are between them.

There is also a reality tv element to this book, and I think it really added to the drama and hilarity of the book. I'd like to think that some of the things that the production crew in this book do are so far-fetched that they couldn't possibly be true, but I majored in broadcast communications and did a lot of reading about reality tv production in school, and I don't doubt for one second that every thing that's mentioned in this book has happed on some reality show.

One thing that I absolutely love about books set in foreign countries is that it really makes me want to travel more to see all of the amazing sights our world has. I've wanted to go to Scotland for so long now, so reading a book that is set there almost gives me that experience, at least enough to hold me over until I actually can convince someone to go with me. I swear, I don't just want to go because I love Outlander so much...

Prince in Disguise is a fun, quick read, perfect for getting you out of a reading slump, or when you're looking for the right book to enjoy on a beautiful rainy day. It'll definitely make you swoon and wish that you were in Dylan's situation. I would absolutely love to see a sequel to this book, because I am dying to know what happens to all of the characters!
You guys, I just loved this one. It was SO cute and fun, and just fluffy and I loved every minute of it.

I loved our characters. Dylan and Jamie were so adorable and fun. They were witty and nerdy and just super cute as friends, and I loved seeing it then turn into something more. Their banter had me goofy-grinning on more than one occasion. But they were always down-to-earth and a lot of fun. Also I'm a sucker for any book that takes place in Scotland. I loved how the author set the setting, which made this a perfect wintertime read.

I'm not sure what else to say. If you are looking for a fluffy, adorable read that will give you all the feels while still being super fun, this is exactly that. It was perfect and I loved it and I can't wait for more from this author.
While I found this novel to be absolutely adorable and happy-making, there were also a lot of parts I found unrealistic (she's super into this guy but doesn't even know his last name?) and predictable. I think it makes for an excellent quick, fluffy read. The characters were endearing and the romance was so cute and pure. Again, this is an incredibly enjoyable read, but I wouldn't rank it among my favorite contemporary novels of all time.
After reading a few other reviews, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. There were some pretty obvious plot points, but I thought this was really cute. I loved the back and forth between Dylan and Jamie.
Dylan is the Plain Jane sister to Dusty, former Miss Mississippi and – more recently – winner of the popular reality show, Prince in Disguise. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Dylan is now on her way to Scotland where she’ll be the maid of honor in the televised wedding. Having every waking second surrounded by cameras and hooked up to microphones if most definitely not Dylan’s idea of a good time, even if it means spending time with a particularly cute groomsman.

Prince in Disguise was exactly the fluffy contemporary I was looking for when I picked it up and there’s really not much else that needs said. It’s not an especially memorable read – and not one I’ll revisit – but it was the perfect sort of escape when I needed it most!
Prince in Disguise was such a fun, cute read, especially with all of the news of the real royal engagement between Prince Harry and Meagan Markle. I'm always a sucker for romantic comedies, so this book was basically my crack. I loved the majority of characters, but especially Jamie because he is basically every girl's dream boy. He was just so cute and nerdy, and literally sang "Do you want to Build a Snowman" to try to woo his love interest, Dylan. I also thoroughly enjoyed Dylan's character--especially her sarcastic sense of humor and her strong relationship with her sister. I thought the two had fantastic chemistry, which you don't always see in YA novels. I liked the overall concept as a whole--basically the bachelor with a twist. I thought the way Strohm portrayed reality TV was fantastic, and pretty realistic. Another thing that I really enjoyed was all of the Disney references throughout the novel. I should've guessed there would have been some considering it was published by Disney-Hyperion, but I really liked them and thought they added to the story over all. In conclusion, Prince in Disguise is an adorable, fast paced read which I recommend to anyone who enjoys somewhat cheesy rom-coms and is looking for a new read.
I received a copy of this work from netgalley for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book greatly over the holiday season. I found it to be predictable and just kept waiting for the shoe to drop but that didn’t stop me smiling at just how lovely the characters and setting were. I had some issues with the ending being a little too realistic for the unbelievable story I was just asked to enjoy. I would recommend this book as a good fluffy royal romance.
This was a cute read.  I enjoyed the characters and the plot twists.
This really is just a Hallmark Christmas movie meets the Bachelorette in a YA form. While I enjoy a good Hallmark Christmas movie, I don't think they have enough substance for an enjoyable novel. Just a bunch of fluff. Also, the at least five different Disney movies referenced seemed a little self-aggrandizing as Disney-Hyperion is the publisher of this book.
What a wonderful story! This is a story, if you're in a reading slump or looking for that perfect YA funny story that has drama and romance in it this is the book for you. I absolutely loved this book. Stephanie is a fantastic author and this is my favourite book from her so far. I cannot wait to see what she writes next because I can tell it's going to be so good. I can't recommend this book enough!

I love Dylan. She is such a fun character to follow. She has been thrown into this world she's not a fan of. Her sister is getting married and they are of to Scotland but, what makes this wedding different is that this is getting filmed for a reality TV show. Throw in some drama, a cute groomsman, a mother in law who doesn't like the thought of her son getting married to Dylans sister....it's going to be a crazy time and not to mention it's all getting filmed and, what is Jamie hiding?

Dylan is kooky and I love her. This book is one of those you can just pick up and not put down until you've finished it. I really loved reading about these characters and all the craziness that followed. I love Jamie. He's so wonderful and nerdy and just really tops this book off.

I can't recommend this book enough!
A cute, light romantic read that still manages to deliver some poignant messages about family dynamics and healthy bf/gf relationships based on friendship first. A must-purchase for our library collection!
Stephanie Kate Strohm’s Prince in Disguise is fun, predictable YA read

With Prince Harry’s recent engagement to Meghan Markle, The celebration of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip’s 70th anniversary, and the excitement surrounding the Duchess of Crambridge’s pregnancy, the British royal family has never been more popular. This makes the timing of Prince in Disguise perfect, except for one major element that comes at the end.

***Spoiler Alert***

The problem comes with Jamie’s somewhat secret identity — as the sixth person in line for the throne! That’s right. He’s right in line after Prince Harry, and Dylan is completely clueless until the end. No one ever mentions it. No one ever uses his title. This takes the whole premise from unlikely to unbelievable, and it ruined the end for me. If only the author had chosen a more obscure relative.

***End Spoiler***

Prince in Disguise is a silly modern-day fairy tale. But it’s an addictive silly. It’s easy to get swept up in the story and imagine it playing out on the small screen like a Hallmark movie. Many people won’t have a problem with the “big twist” at the end (see spoiler), but I found it a bit of a letdown. Overall, though, Prince in Disguise is harmless fun that many readers will enjoy binge reading.
Before I jump into my review I would like to thank Disney Hyperion and Netgalley for providing me with an advanced reader copy of Prince in Disguise in exchange for my honest review. And now for my review...

This was a cute and cheesy romance that takes place in castle in the Scottish Highlands (*cue Outlander theme song*). I liked the concept of a reality show and how life can become impersonal when cameras are constantly following your every move. There was just enough drama to keep readers reading, although some of it did seem a little bet contrived.

Dylan was a good character and I loved watching her come to terms with her sister's upcoming wedding and having her life constantly documented. I also loved her love interest, Jamie ( even though he isn't Scottish, he reminds me of another fictional Jamie *swoon*), and how down to earth he was. I really want to read more of him and I hope there will be a sequel.

Overall, it was a cute read although some of the other characters were annoying. It was also slow in some places. However, this is the perfect read if you just want something cute and fluffy to read by the fire place this is the perfect read. I am giving it 3/5 Stars.
This book is the perfect antidote to the current climate of reality television and royal weddings. Dylan is the younger, awkward sister of pageant winner and reality star Dusty. When Dusty's wedding takes place in Scotland over Christmas break Dylan finds herself in a castle in front of the camera falling for a groomsman. Prince  is Disguise is the sweet, heartfelt story of first love and finding out what matters most. Dylan and Dusty's contentious relationship leads them to some intriguing sisterly conversations. Overall, I enjoyed the love story the most, but I was touched by Dusty and Dylan's realizations about themselves and about family.
I received a review copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When Dylan’s sister fell for a prince in disguise—okay, really a lord, but no one else besides her seems to think this matters—her life was turned upside down. Now with realty TV cameras following her sister’s every move, Dylan has gotten none of the peace and quiet she desires and instead finds herself more in the spotlight than ever as the wedding quickly approaches.

Heading off to Scotland for the Christmas Eve nuptials, all of Dylan’s plans to be as boring as possible fly out the window when she meets Jamie—a funny and witty groomsmen who’s a complete book nerd , and who she can’t seem to get enough of. But at the end of all this will it be Dylan’s life that gets turned into a realty show?

Prince in Disguise is a smart young adult mix of a TLC wedding show and like a Hallmark Christmas movie—like everything I’m completely trash for. It was completely glorious and everything I could want.

First off, I LOVED being set in wintery Scotland. I’m all about Scotland and set amid winter—which I hate but love all the cute things that come with it—like I couldn’t handle it.Dylan was an absolute joy to read. She’s introverted, sarcastic, and just so real. She’s over this fake life her mom and sister are putting on and sees no need to pretend or even try to be in the spotlight. Everyone’s always surprised that she’s Dusty’s sister, and while that hits the vulnerable part of her (because her sister is seen as beautiful and perfect) she also doesn’t try to be anyone but herself.

And like as much as we all (guiltily) enjoy and swoon over these fairytale wedding and royalty shows and movies, we also snark over how ridiculous and unreal it all is. Dylan is so that inner monologue we all have.

Now Jamie is my kind of boy. Like literally, beyond literary. A little socially awkward, when he doesn’t know what to say he’ll start quoting famous literature, which I find beyond adorable. And as a fellow reader, that makes him a dream boyfriend right? Like we could sit and read

The supporting characters were just as great—all sort of caricatures, but as I said this is all kind of based off that realty-TV show/Hallmark movie outline, so it works.

This is definitely a story you should pick up this holiday season, no ifs ands or buts about it. It’s beyond delightful. You can find Prince in Disguise on Amazon and the author at stephaniekatestrohm.com.
Simply put? A really fun, cheeky YA story. I loved. REALLY LOVED it. While the premise is nothing new, the writing makes the story fresh and interesting. Plus you'll absolutely love Dylan and Jamie. They make everything fun, interesting, intellectual, and add the perfect level of angst and excitement.

I've never read this author before, but I will not hesitate to pick up another YA novel by her. There's something about a well-read English character who can set my heart aflutter. The book is worth reading and would recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre!
This was pretty good, if not rather predictable. It made for a good Christmas read though, and I thoroughly enjoyed most of the characters.