Prince in Disguise

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Dec 2017

Dylan is tired of being forced into situations unsuited by her big sister's fame, but now the situation has climaxed because her sister is attending a reality show called Prince in Disguise and found that she has been able to snatch the heart of the noble Ronan and they will all go to the UK for the wedding of the year under the watchful eye of millions of fans. Dylan has no choice but to go and it's in that hour when it appears the sweet knight in shining armor Jamie, one of Ronan's groomsmen who takes her to his destination.
The book tells the story of Dylan in the chaos of wedding preparations with an unbearable mother-in-law, cameras everywhere, new friends and many adventures in the castle. A typically Disney story with several literary  and cinematographic references beyond the references of  Disney’s  princesses.
I found the story super cute, well written and romantic. Dylan's discoveries about the family and her new point of view  at the various situations she faces are the strong point of the plot and the icing on the cake is Jamie. I fell madly in love with the boy and because of that I was expecting a more excited and closed end to their friendship.
I recommend it for teenagers and adults, a fun and sighing plot.
Dylan finds herself swept off the Scotland for her sister's destination wedding. Her sister Dusty won Scottish laird Ronan's hand on the Prince in Disguise, a reality show, and now they will be filming all that leads up to the wedding. Nothing could make camera-shy Dylan less happy. Of course being left at the train station by the best man and rescued by cute Jamie gives her adventure quite a start.

Dylan and Jamie become good friends as they both try to avoid the cameras. Dylan was a great character. She loves her sister and mother as much as she hates being part of a reality TV show. She really doesn't want her budding romance with Jamie to become a plot thread on the program but she is willing if it will distract the producer from Dusty's secret.

The story is filled with great characters from the over-the-top best man to the evil future mother-in-law to Dusty who can turn on and turn off Southern Belle at will to Jamie who is a geeky, gawky hero with a secret of his own. I liked Dylan's relationship with her absentee father who shows up to walk Dusty down the aisle. I thought it was realistic that she had no interest in forming a relationship with a man who walked away from his family before she even knew him.

This was by turns funny and touching and romantic. I recommend it to fans of romance and reality TV.
While this book was definitely cheesy, it was so cute and fun! A great Christmasy romance for this time of year :) Longer review to come on my blog.
Full disclosure: I’m already a big fan of author Stephanie Kate Strohm, so when the publishers and NetGalley (thank you both!) provided a review copy in exchange for my honest feedback, I already knew I was in for a treat.

Prince in Disguise is a joy to read. From the moment we meet Dylan (powering through a saltine-eating challenge while her best friend “coaches” her Lombardi-style), I already knew she was my kinda girl. Dylan is goofy and awkward, sure – but also self-possessed, smart, funny, and not at all self-pitying about growing up in the shadow of a stunning sister, who, through the magic of reality television, has fallen in love with a Scottish Laird and is dragging the whole family (and camera crew) to Scotland to get married. On Christmas Eve.

As if that weren’t bad enough, Dylan (who chose to come to Scotland later than the rest of the crew) finds herself stranded on a train platform in the freezing cold, waiting for a groomsman who never shows. Who does show, though, is Jamie – tall, handsome, slightly nerdy, poetry-quoting Jamie. Who is approximately the most adorable YA Hero I’ve met in a good long while, and that’s saying something.

Jamie, who finds trapdoors and tunnels underneath the castle. Jamie, who can quote Edith Wharton and Monty Python with equal glee. Jamie, who wakes up at 2 in the morning to sing “Do You Want to Build a Snowman” outside a lady’s door when, at long last, it starts to snow! I could go on. I dare not go on. Spoilers!

Suffice it to say: I was utterly *charmed* by this book. By Jamie and Dylan, both as individuals, and as a couple. Their banter left me giggling at the most inopportune moments (sorry, co-workers!). I loved how the various relationships – not just Jamie and Dylan’s - evolved through the course of the book. I loved how Dylan handled the many, twisty surprises that both reality and reality TV provided. And throughout, I loved how Strohm’s sometimes hilarious, sometimes heartfelt tone rang true throughout the book, even though the premise was on the fantastical side. Highly recommended!
*Thanks so much to the publisher for sending me an e-ARC via Netgalley!!*

Okay, this book was adorable and fun AND HAD THE BEST DISNEY REFERENCES. I was dying with each witty Disney reference/comment that was made, and Strohm definitely has confirmed that she is a master of adorable, cheesey goodness - my favorite contemporary kind of novel. This story did drag in a few parts, and I started to get really bored - however it was cute for the most part.

The best part of this story was the comedy and wit. I read Strohm's previous novel, It's Not Me, It's You, and I actually laughed out loud quite a bit in this one - it was the same case for this one. She just has a wit to her that seems so effortless and not forced. I screengrabbed so many lines because I just had to remember them to laugh at in the future. There were a lot of comic moments, too, and I love a book that can just launch out in a comedic moment without any effort.

I also really enjoyed the characters. Dylan was fantastic, and I can so relate to her being thrown into this situation. She was funny, she was so easy to root for, and she was just a fun character. Jamie was cool, as well. He made a few too many references that went right over my head, and but I mean, you got to love a man that will start singing, "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" to woo a girl out of her room at night and then names expeditions like The Premeditated Trapdoor excursion. Literally, I feel like he is me as a love interest in a story. XD Both of them were fun, and I loved them together.

The plot was engaging as well. I loved the idea of a Bachelor- type show with a magical prince in disguise and then the accompanying reality show following them. There was some kind of mystery involved, and all the antics that followed in Scotland was great. It was truly a lot of fun.

However, some things felt like it just was repeating over and over. Like, it didn't feel like the plot was moving and we were focused a bit too much on the comedy. At that point, it just felt kind of boring. I got disengaged with the story at some points, but it still was enjoyable overall.

This was a fun, enjoyable read, but it did dwindle in parts. I really enjoyed the characters and the comedy, and the ship was super cute. There were a few references that I did miss, but they were overall enjoyable. Three crowns and a Belle rating - which if I remember correctly did have a reference in here, too!

Favorite Quotes:
*****
On what was supposed to be the last day of filming Prince in Disguise, when I thought we were done with the Reality Channel forever, Ronan revealed he was secretly a lord, and then he dropped to one knee and proposed to my sister. See? Ronan seemed nice, but he was probably insane. You don't marry someone you just met. Did they not have Frozen in Scotland?
*****
"Little Match Girl? Because you were frozen? The Hans Christian Anderson story?"

"Yeah, I got the reference." I returned to poking the puck. It was proving to be distressingly resistant to my attempts to pierce it. Like an actual hockey puck would be. "Not really my favorite story. Kind of a downer."

"Unlike that heartwarming, not-at-all-depressing Hans Christian Anderson classic, The Little Mermaid."

"It's heartwarming when it involves singing crabs. Say what you will about Walt Disney, that man knew how to jazz up a real bummer of a story."
*****
"Did you stash that flashlight down here?"

"The Premeditated Torch is, naturally, the follow-up to the smash best seller The Premeditated Trapdoor."

"That is seriously the worst idea for a book series I've ever heard."

"Balderdash. Dashing British hero and his plucky American lady sidekick explore uncharted territory? It's brilliant."

"Plucky?" Eh, I'd been called worse. "And this territory has already been charted. By you."

"But it's uncharted for you, my plucky American lady sidekick." I turned to see him grinning at my side. "You can hold the torch, if you'd like."
I think the nBook has a cute premise. Unfortunately I had a hard time enjoying this book.
An Adorable Holiday Slump-buster!
ISBN: 9781484768174

Life is real enough for Dylan—especially as the ordinary younger sister of Dusty, former Miss Mississippi and the most perfect, popular girl in Tupelo. But when Dusty wins the hand of the handsome Scottish laird-to-be Ronan on the TRC television network’s crown jewel, Prince in Disguise, Dylan has to face a different kind of reality: reality TV.

As the camera crew whisks them off to Scotland to film the lead-up to the wedding, camera-shy Dylan is front and center as Dusty’s maid of honor. The producers are full of surprises—including old family secrets, long-lost relatives, and a hostile future mother-in-law who thinks Dusty and Dylan’s family isn’t good enough for her only son. At least there’s Jamie, an adorably bookish groomsman who might just be the perfect antidote to all Dylan’s stress . . . if she just can keep TRC from turning her into the next reality show sensation.

I was SO excited to be approved for this Disney-Hyperion title on Net Galley, and it did not disappoint!

If you’re in the mood for a fast, slump-buster read–whether to get you back into reading or to kick-start you into the holiday spirit–this is it! I loved Dylan immediately. She’s the awkward, self-conscious, shy younger sister of a beauty-pageant winner, dragged into a high-profile world she never wanted to be part of. When she ends up meeting a boy she might actually LIKE (for the first time, like, EVER), she’s forced to go through the roller coaster of first love on reality television. UGH, right???

I’ll admit I struggled a bit between four and five stars–I FLEW through the book, but it doesn’t have a ton of dramatic tension. There’s nothing in the world quite like that teen anguish of is-he-going-to-like-me? mixed with the rush of omg-he-might-really-like-me! and I didn’t always feel that here. It was more of an ADORABLE read than a dramatic one–the surprises weren’t terribly surprising, and the complications weren’t terribly complicated–but sometimes that’s exactly what I’m in the mood for.

Bottom line? After starting and putting down several other books that just didn’t hold my interest, this one stuck with me. I’m giving it 4.5 stars and rounding up, for that “stickiness” factor. It held my attention from the first page to the last, and I genuinely enjoyed the read. I cared about the characters (Dylan’s romantic interest is equal parts nerdy and sweet–I LOVED him), the pacing was excellent, and the overall story was a fulfilling ride, with a lot of smiles along the way. I highly recommend both the book and the author, and I will be following Stephanie Kate Strohm for sure!
This was delightful. It was exactly what I needed when I needed it. I was wanting extremely charming pure fluff and that's 100% what this book is, it's beautiful. I laughed out loud multiple times and I was just so happy during the entire read. I really liked the individual characters and all of their interactions - (just about) everyone is more than their stereotype and I really liked the many layers of each character and their many relationships. idk, this was just a delight. I read it from start to finish with only a break to watch an episode of Brooklyn 99, I didn't wanna put it down and I didn't really want it to end. I would definitely recommend it for fans of Kasie West and anyone looking for a funny, fluffy read.
I didn't think I'd like this book so much, but I ended up loving it. It was a bit predictable, but still very cute. It was a really quick read. Great to read around the holidays. I'll definitely be recommending it to some of my teens. It's already all set to go on my December New Book list and Board. It will probably make it on to my winter reads list as well.
Let's get this out the of way first: OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE AND I JUST WANT TO SMOOSH DYLAN AND JAIME'S FACES.

Right then, moving on. Down to the serious stuff, sort of. What I couldn't get over was just how genuine the characters were. They seemed like real people who end up in situations no one could ever anticipate. The sheer amount of awkwardness radiating from them all was wonderful. Even Dusty the beauty queen had a nice edge with a side of awkwardness.

SPOILER ALERT. I really enjoyed how Storhm dealt with the long lost father situation. We got to see three very different relationships with a rather sleazy character: Dusty, Dylan, and their mother. It was nice to not be pigeon holed into the main character finally meeting her father and thinking it was the best thing in the world. It is so much more complex than that. Through this we also saw that Dylan's mother is just as tough as Ronan's. Just because they don't live in a castle and oversee an obnoxious amount of land does not mean they will take anything laying down.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this book and look forward to reading more from the author in the future.
Prince in Disguise centers around tomboy Dylan who is whisked away to Scotland to attend her beautiful older sister's wedding which is being televised on reality tv.

This is a hard review for me to write because I'm not sure how I feel about the book. On one hand, the book is funny and charming. There are loads of crazy characters and heartwarming moments. I loved the setting (a castle in Scotland!) and while the plot plays out expectantly, there's enough fun dialog and teen romance (and some angst) to keep me interested. I think fans who love real life fairy tale romances, reality tv with a lot of drama and some crazy over the top characters will really love this book.

But on the other hand, maybe it wasn't for me. While I enjoyed everything I listed above, something felt a little flat. All of the characters were too contrived, dramatic, characterized. Tomboy Dylan was downright annoying and negative, complaining for most of the first quarter of the book. I wanted to slap her. (Oh, you're being whisked away to Scotland. For free. For something happy like your sister's wedding to a Scottish Lord! Boohoo.) Jamie, the cute British boy, was trying too hard. He was too clever, too well read, with obscure literary references that somehow, magically, Dylan got. (Some she didn't, but it was too unbelieveable for me) Even her best friend, her southern belle sister, her mother were too. Too much. Too dramatic. Too stylized and unreal.

So while I read fast, I didn't have any deep emotional reaction or investment in the characters. And I wanted to.

That said, it might have been me. While I was in the mood for a romance, I was more interested in maybe something of a deeper, contemporary YA and perhaps this one just had a little too much fluffy.

I will recommend it though to people who I think would enjoy it. It's a great read for traveling with or reading with your girlfriends. And I'm sure Jamie is swoon worthy. Just didn't hold my attention.
Prince in Disguise is the story of Dylan, a typical and ordinary teenage girl stuck dealing with some unordinary circumstances. Her sister Dusty, former Miss Mississippi winner has won the heart of Ronan, a Scottish lord, on the reality TV show Prince in Disguise. Because of Dusty, Dylan, and the rest of her family, are carted off to Scotland to film Dusty and Ronan's wedding and the events that lead up to it. However, while over in Scotland, Dylan meets Thomas, one of Ronan's groomsman. He is Dylan's reprieve while in Scotland; someone to distract her from the wedding, the cameras, and the reality show dilemmas all while having a good time. But, will Dylan's budding relationship with Thomas become the next reality television hit?

Overall, this was a good book and one I enjoyed. It was a light and quick read. I would purchase this book for my library collection.
Hoo boy. For a good three quarters of this book I was dead-set on giving it a one star rating and never looking at it again. But that last 1/4 brought some redeeming qualities.

Prince in Disguise oddly read like a cross between Austenland and The Selection, but in a younger YA kind of way. It was... cute, I guess, and I rather enjoyed all the Disney and musical references, but there were also two main problems for me: I did not like the main character and there was a lot of girl hate going on.

First, the main character, Dylan. I hate using the word unlikable to describe female characters because I feel like the word unlikable is used as a crutch by a lot of reviewers to describe flawed female protagonists (a really good essay on likability in YA written by Courtney Summers can be found in Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World; it's worth a read), but I don't know. Dylan was just really annoying and kind of dumb and really hateful for a good portion of the book and that was not... fun to read. At all. She had the whole "I'm not like other girls" mentality and I was just kind of annoyed with her for the entire book.

She was also kind of an idiot. I'm going to set up a scene for you (no spoilers, don't worry): you are a teenage girl in a country you have never been to before and aren't familiar with. You are stranded at a train station in the middle of the woods and you are the only person there. A male stranger comes up to you (at a train station in the middle of the woods) and says, yeah, he knows why you're here, and he's sorry your ride abandoned you. He says he knows the guy whose house you are trying to get to. He is acting very friendly. What do you do?

a) Use some of your roaming minutes to call your sister and ask her to find out where your ride is
b) Pretend you have a phone call and do that thing where you make sure you tell the person on the other line that you will "be there soon" to show this male stranger that if he tries to kidnap you people will know you're gone and come looking.
c) IMMEDIATELY TRUST THE MALE STRANGER AND ASK HIM FOR A RIDE. IN HIS CAR. WHEN YOU ARE STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. WHERE NO ONE WOULD BE ABLE TO HEAR YOU SCREAM.

Can you guess which one Dylan chose?
"'Assuming you're not a murderer, and since you seem to know who Ronan is, do you mind giving me a ride to his estate? Where's your car?'"

Have you..... How do.... What... Why...... I don't understand how any teenage girl would realistically ask that of a man she had literally just met two seconds ago. Has her mother taught her nothing. Has she not learned anything at school. Has she never had any interaction with any women in her life. How did no red flags go off in her mind. I can't even say anything about it specifically because it just blows my mind that this is a real thing that I read. Ugh.

Second, there was a lot of girl hate going on in this book. As I said before, Dylan was one of those "I'm not like other girls" characters that drive me up the metaphorical wall. Throughout the book she does go through a lot of character growth, I'll give her that, but for a good chunk of it I was really annoyed with her because she was just plain mean. It went past normal sibling rivalry to just general rudeness.
"'What do you want from me, Dyl?' Dusty jammed the lid on the back of the box with more force than was necessary, then rose to face me, eyes flashing. 'I'm stupid if I go along with the show, now you're givin' me grief for goin' against it. Which is it? Y'all can't have it both ways.'

'I was just -- Gosh, Dusty, it was just a joke.' Was she going to cry? [sic]

She tapped her fingers briskly beneath her eyes, swiping away any eyeliner smudges. God forbid she look less than perfect for one single second."

It was just crap like that that really made me dislike Dylan. Sure, at the end of the book she grows to love her sister and her mother for who they were, but underneath that there was still a lot of hate for feminine girls. It felt more like that she now thought her sister and mom were exceptions to the rule, the rule being that tomboys are inherently better than femme girls.

I also didn't feel as though the romance between Dylan and Jamie was built up enough. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if there had been more buildup to their first case.

Also wish there had been more diversity, and less tokenism. Just because the book acknowledges that it's tokenism doesn't make it anymore okay. I know that they're in Scotland, but, like, come on. It's not that hard to include more than one poc side character, especially when half of the cast comes from the United States.

Another weird thing about Prince in Disguise was the language. It's not that I wanted more swearing, I just thought it was weird that the language was SUPER clean (I'm talking gosh darn it, shiz, and the like), but then in like the last five chapters there were five or six swear words spoken. It was a weird enough shift that I noticed it, and I wish there had been more continuity in that regard.

(view spoiler)

What saved this book from a one star rating were two things: Dylan's character arc and the humor.

First I'll talk about Dylan's arc. Though I talked about my issues with it above, I will give the book this: She really did change for the better as a sister and a friend. She went from selfish and disliking the people around her to a loving sister and daughter who stood up for her family's wants and needs, and it made the last part of the book relatively enjoyable.

But the thing I liked most about Prince in Disguise was the humor. There were so many funny Disney references and just witty jokes that it made reading to the end of the book worth it. I don't usually laugh out loud when reading, but this book made me giggle so often that I'm pretty sure I got an ache in my side.

To conclude, there was some good but a lot of bad in Prince in Disguise. It was probably something I would have enjoyed a lot more when I was twelve, but my tastes have changed. If you're looking for something that will solely make you laugh, then I guess you can read it, but if you're looking for literally anything else in addition to that then I would pass on it.
This book was a very enjoyable light read. The characters could be shallow at times and the plot was somewhat predictable. However, the overall charm of the book made up for these faults. This is definitely a feel good story, and I found myself wanting more closure at the end. I felt like the story ended somewhat abruptly, and I wish it had explored the characters lives a little more once the plot was resolved.
Written by Stephanie Kate Strohm, this novel follows Dylan, the sister to a reality TV star and Miss Mississippi. Who is getting, very publicly, married to a Scottish Lord. And of course there is a young gentleman for Dylan as well.

This was a sweet story that was a pleasure to read. The characters were odd and mostly shallow, so this isn’t the next great novel, but it was so enjoyable. Very pleasant to read a light-hearted story. A love story appropriate for all ages, I would happily give this to a younger cousin and tell them to look for someone like Jamie, Dylan’s love interest. He is odd, and sweet, and not a jerk.

So, those are my short thoughts and who would like this – an all ages love story.
Prince in Disguise is a light romance that takes place in a romantic location: Scotland. Simple Dylan has always grown up hearing "You're Dusty's Sister?" and just once, Dylan wants to be separated from her beauty pageant sister, Dusty. When Dusty announces that the reality show that introduced her to her husband is going to film the entire wedding for a new show, Dylan wonders if she can dodge the cameras, even if she is the maid of honor. When Dylan meets Jamie, a groomsman with a knack for pulling literary references out of thin air, she starts to think that maybe the camera's aren't that big of a deal. With some unexpected twists, the story has just enough to not feel too cliche, but some of the plot is very much predictable and can turn experienced readers away.
Dylan is the younger, gawkier sister of the beautiful Dusty, a former Miss Missouri. Dusty competes in a reality show and wins the heart of Ronan, a titled Scottish man. Dylan is not thrilled with living her life in the camera’s eye.

The wedding of Dusty and Ronan is another season of the show and they are all in Scottland where Dylan meets Jamie, one of Ronan’s good friends who will stand up for him. This is just the cutest story about how Dylan ends up with Jamie, who turns out to be an actual prince and how they will all live happily ever after.
This book was a cute and quick read. The introverted and extremely private Dylan has the misfortune of having an extremely famous and extroverted sister who has ended up winning the heart of her "prince" on a reality dating show. Now her family and she are stuck in front of the camera at the lead up to her sister's wedding in a Scottish castle. But her meeting with her soon to be brother-in-law's friends/groomsman is not as uneventful as she wishes. Fortunately, Jamie, a friend of the groom, is all to willing to be Dylan's partner-in-crime in escaping the wedding madness and the cameras.

The relationship between Dylan and Jamie is sweet but predictable. I easily saw the 'shocking twist' of this story about 1/3 of the way through this book. I also loved the relationship Dylan had with her family. I was very please to see that Dusty was not made to be a completely plastic and brainless character that she seemed to be when the story first started and I loved how in the end Dylan tried to protect her older sister. I was not surprised when Dusty and Dylan's estranged father showed up. But I also think the author did an amazing job of portraying how each sister would react to their father's return which was very authentic. The family dynamic was spot on.

This was an enjoyable read to just escape into for a short period of time. I also loved all the nods and references to Disney films.
Though I am not reading this during winter, I can imagine being cozily wrapped in my favorite blanket with a hot cup of cocoa, reading this book in one sitting.
This story is about a family of three thrust into the spotlight by reality T.V. and having to deal with the ever present eye of the camera, even in the most uncomfortable of situations. The main character, Dylan, is awkward but hilarious as she attempts to navigate her, pageant queen, sister's Scotland wedding and a surprising love interest.  The Scottish backdrop added an interesting element, as it was easy to imagine the  expansive snow covered grounds and castle.  I appreciated Dylan's growth throughout the book and her empathy in the end. This story kept surprising me with well placed humor and I laughed out loud more than a few times. Cute, fluffy, snowy, the perfect holiday read.
I'll admit that when the story started with an awkward brunette who didn't appreciate the artificial beauty of her mom and sister, I sighed and rolled my eyes a little bit. But eventually, as most of the characters were fleshed out beyond their tropes and developed along with the plot, I grew to like this book more than I thought I would. I give it four hearts-eyes emojis!