The New Dark

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Jan 2018

The blurb for this book was everything and that's a problem. It gave so much potential I thought this book was going to brilliant and boy was I wrong.

I hate when a blurb hooks you, it just disappoints the heck out of me when I actually read the book and it's not as good as the blurb.

I really liked the idea of the book and the first few chapters had me hooked I really thought I was going to love it but I should have seen the twist that was bound to happen. The book starts in the 3rd person in Sorrel's view then a few chapters in it just changes to another character; David and what is going on with them and that's what lost me. If the book had been split up into parts it would have been a hundred times better not a few chapters here and a few chapters there; heck even one chapter Sorrel then one chapter David would have been better but after it changed a few chapters in it just lost me and I got bored.

Honestly, you should give this book a chance it's not half bad, but it just completely lost me and I lost all interest.
*thank you to Netgalley and Bastei Entertainment for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1 star.

DNF @ 26%

The beginning started off quite strong, but it quickly went downhill and I lost interest pretty fast. I was not prepared for the sexual abuse in this and that was also a big reason I could not finish it as it was too triggering. One positive is that I really like this cover.
If The Walking Dead is your show, then The New Dark by Lorraine Thomson will be your new YA fantasy. Although, small confession, I stopped watching Walking Dead with my husband because I constantly fought zombies in my dreams and it just got exhausting. The series is amazing, I just need my sleepy time to be positive and not apocalyptic.

But seriously, The New Dark is the book to buy friends, teenagers, and family for Christmas. Even guys will like this book but probably only if they are fans of The Hunger Games. This book has crazy mutated people (so not zombies but the more advanced mutated people are freaky), a Governor-esque villain and a little toddler that needs to be rescued. This book is the first in a trilogy, but the best news is the other two books will release in 2018. So you won’t have a super excruciating wait to finish the series.

More About The New Dark

Sixteen year old Sorrel and her sorta boyfriend David lives in a post-apocalypse where mutated people ravage the land and pockets of normal people squeak out an existence. When their village gets destroyed (you know, at the end of chapter one), Sorrel barely escapes with her life while her toddler brother is taken hostage along with her love interest David. Sorrel is determined to find them but when a psycho religious dictator enslaves her, she’ll have to rely on a mutated person in order to escape.

The New Dark is a ride from chapter one to the last page. I read this book in a day and wiped my mouth ready for more. It has everything you want in a fantasy: high stakes, high adventure, freaky mutants, packs of bad people, self-righteous dictator, do I need to keep going? And because the narrative switches between Sorrel and David, both guys and girls will enjoy this book.

Why I loved The New Dark

The fast-paced, high stakes adventure. Sorrel’s life falls apart in all the best ways. I’d think, I’ll stop at the next part but then something new happened and I had to ignore my children and read on. This is why I read it in a day. Never stop never stopping.

The villain. He’s creepy, self-righteous, Governor-ish and all things you love to hate. His breath stinks, like all the time, do I need to go on? He controls the community that saves Sorrel at one point but, just like Walking Dead, it isn’t good. This community is more messed up than the mutated people.

Sorrel and David. The narrative switches between the two and I looked forward to each of their chapters. Sorrel is courageous, loyal and compassionate. Plus, the girl is a fighter, scrappy to the core. David is Sorrel’s love interest but they’re separated from the beginning. Captured by the mutated people, David rallies the survivors, hoping to inspire escape.

The New Dark by Lorraine Thomson just came out. It’s a perfect stocking stuffer for anyone who loves The Walking Dead. So you can buy it now on Amazon.
I liked the storyline but the dialogue didn't seem to fit. It felt like the characters' manner of speech wasn't quite right. It pulled me out of the story.  It took me awhile to really get into the book.
I think I'm at closer to 2.5 stars. I struggled to get into this book, but it ended up being an enjoyable, quick read. My biggest problem is the lack of world building. I was excited to enter a dystopian world, but it didn't really feel like a dystopian novel at all until the very end. And then it seemed very close to the Hunger Games to me. What happened? Why is the world segmented the way it is? How did these regional communities develop so close together without knowing about each other? Why aren't there more remnants of Before? I liked Sorrel's character arc and am interested in the tensions with other characters it will lead to later in the series, but there were just so many unanswered questions.
I enjoyed this. 'Into the Dark' had it all: Mutants, Religious fanatics, slavery, poison, treachery all in an unsettling post apocalyptic setting. Sorrell the main character witnesses her entire village brutally murdered, with a handful allowed to live, just to be taken into captivity. In search of these lone survivors, Sorrell has to fight for survival in a world that is cruel and unforgiving.

The writing and world building carried its weight well throughout the read. There are so many questions remaining about this world set in the future that have noticeably been left unanswered. The characters are fierce and desperate with a foreboding sense of 'who to trust' hovering suspiciously over each page. I definitely am curious to see where this author will take this unusual series. 3.5 stars.
This book was not for me. The character development and plot detail could have been worked on a bit more. There WERE more questions than answers by the end of this book. It is a good thing that this is a series.
It was an ok read, not too bad I guess. Maybe a good read for a teenager.
I didn’t find that much of sci-fi elements so I wouldn’t consider this book in that genre.
Apparently is a trilogy but I would not be reading it.
The reading is good and the characters are interesting. There is nothing I would say I hate/dislike is just that this book was not for me.
I love fantasy, and on the whole, I love sci-fi as well, so this YA book should have been a winning cocktail, angst and all. In the end, though, despite some interesting comments on mutants and society, I wasn’t completely hooked.
Similarly to Michelle Kenney’s great Book of Fire, a post-apocalyptic novel about people living wild in the forest facing off against a more civilised (and invariably slightly evil) post-apocalyptic society, The New Dark is about Sorrel, a girl from Amat, a community that is attacked by mutants, a new strain of people who have been affected by what I imagined was the radiation from the accident that wiped out our society in the first place. With her brother stolen by mutants, and the man she loves, David, trafficked into slavery, Sorrel sets off to track them down- and save them- without being captured herself.
Though apocalyptic fiction has massive scope for invention- the amazing Dustlands series is a personal favourite of mine- Thompson’s world didn’t seem particularly new or fresh to me: a bog-standard dystopian world, with mutants seemingly the only new addition to the fray. Though Sorrel is an interesting heroine- more importantly, she’s not perfect, which I really liked- she always seems to be at the mercy of other people, and she didn’t have an engaging personality for me to root for (she forgot about her missing brother for good chunks of the novel). What was interesting was Thompson’s bold decision to split her and David, her star-crossed lover, apart at the very start: there was no insta-love, or teenage angst, here, which was a refreshing change, and gave you something to root for as they tried to make their way back to each other.
Thompson’s use of the mutants also had a lot of potential. The mutants in Sorrel’s world are often treated as second-class citizens, who are abused and killed at birth by a good deal of the human population; as a result, her arc over the course of the book is less about finding her way back to David and more about her developing friendship with the mutants, overcoming her prejudice. Despite some sometimes-clunky comparisons, it was definitely an interesting twist on the story, but overall it felt like a bit of an add-on to what was meant to be the main plot to feel overly relevant.
The plot was also a little confusing. Apart from Sorrel and David, quite a few of the characters seemed quite one-dimensional, and so their actions and motivations sometimes seemed rather obscure- several betrayals, or plot twists, came out of the blue and left me reeling. That, combined with Sorrel’s completely unorchestrated rise to freedom fighter by the end of the book, left me scratching my head and flicking back a few chapters to see if I’d missed anything.
All this adds up to an uneven, but interesting, book. Thompson has a way with words that does make for engaging reading, and Sorrel’s character journey through the novel is genuinely heartwarming. For people who want a YA novel with something different to offer, then curl up with this- but it wasn’t for me.
I found the book intriguing until it switched to David's POV.  It did not really add to the storyline.  His character was too one-dimensional.  Sorrel's interaction with the mutant was the most interesting to me.  I would have liked to known more about the "before".   The world building was weak.  I thought Einstein the most fascinating character of them all.  The concept is good but needs more depth in the writing.
To be honest, I have great expectations for this book. First, the cover is really appealing and it gave me an impression that this book will be worth the read for me.

Sorrel is from a town called Amat. People from Amat work together. One day, a group of mutants raided their town, killed the elderly and took the young ones with them to another town. Among the captured are Eli, Sorrel’s brother and David, the love of her life. Sorrel, along with a mutant must find David and Eli before it’s too late.

I love how Lorraine Thomson crafted the characters. Sorrel, as the main character is a very strong lady. I admire her so much. She was so tough and independent. She started looking for Eli and David all by herself. I loved how she was able to fight and the skills that she possesses like being able to hunt her own food. Sorrel may sound perfect but she’s pretty stubborn. She gets ahead of her feelings and sometimes speaks without even thinking. Along with the characters are Einstein, the mutant she travelled with; David, Eli and the people of Dinawl and Ulbroom.

The story was set in different towns. First was in Amat, her hometown. The next was Ulbroom, The Land of the Free and Dinawl. The author did a great job of using words to describe these places. I can see the different towns in my head as I was reading it.

The story was pretty much exciting. It was full of action since the very beginning. It kept me at the edge of my seat and I almost forgot to sleep. I can read a book for less than 24 hours if I’m really into it and that’s what happened with this read. The New Dark seems like a story of the future, of what may happen with the world. A time period called “Before” was mentioned where there are cars, electricity and technology which seems to be the present time today.

The state of the people are really saddening. All everyone thinks about is coins or money. They only care on how much money they’ll make. People are sold as slaves. Some people will do anything to get what they want even if it means taking advantage of other people.

To be honest, this reminds me of The Hunger Games Trilogy. Not every part, though. It reminded me of that because of the rebellion. The time has come for people to remake the world and it will only happen if they unite.

Unexpected plot twists will surely keep readers wanting for more. The story has no dull moment. Revelations will surprise everyone. The New Dark is an action-packed and fast-paced read.

I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. It was a pretty good book. However, I think that it lacks of background about the characters and the “Before”. The backgrounds would make this read easier to understand. While I was reading, I encountered a lot of questions and some still remained unanswered after I read the book.

I admire Lorraine Thomson for creating such a great story and I can’t wait for the next books! I gladly recommend this book to everyone who loves an action-packed read and is fond of Sci-Fi and Fantasy genres.
Not much world building, plot was clunky, characters were unlikable. Overall, just not a very good read.
I liked it enough. I did not expect it to be so engaging. I confess that I requested it because I liked the cover. At first I did not read the plot. But once approved I had to read it and I was quite satisfied.

The place where Sorrel, the protagonist, lived was destroyed by mutants and his brother and his best friend disappeared.

After being fainted she is helped by people who take care of her. However, despite having saved her, now they do not want to let her go away, they want to find a stable place for Sorrel in their village, but she can't afford it, she has to save David and Eli.

The two boys were kidnapped by mutants and held prisoners. Even though David tries to escape, he does not succeed and returns in prison with many of his fellow citizens.

This is a all-to-discover book, intriguing, for all ages, from the hypnotic scenes from whose pages you won't want to get off until the end.

It's not one of those books where there is an adventure after another, but that's the value of this book. It has the right pace to make you fall in love with the protagonists from the first page as each book should do.
Einstien was probably my favorite character in it. I would have liked more explanation on what led up to the world being the way it was (overrun by Aliens). It seemed as though I was dropped in the middle of the book plot and missed the beginning. However, I did enjoy the book
Despite a promising premise (I love post-apocalyptic stories) and a gorgeous cover, this one started well but quickly lost its appeal and never regained traction for me. I think what it comes down to is there are too many questions raised and not enough answers, even knowing this is the first of a trilogy.

What happened to make the Before the Now? Why are some people living backwoods lives in Amat when others (we discover) are living much more advanced lives in a setting that more closely resembles Divergent, and why don't the two groups know about each other? Why the birthmark? Why the mutants? Why the birth rate crisis? Where the heck did the Free come from, and how in the world does it all tie together?

I'm sure answers will be revealed, but it seemed like such an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach that I'm completely uninterested in continuing the series, not to mention that none of the characters nor the writing style grabbed me and it was quite a task to finish. What started as a nice adventure story has, by the end, basically turned into the District 13 Hunger Games revolution, and it just lost me.
I received an advance review copy of The New Dark from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.  Having agreed to be honest, I have to admit that it was some weeks in between requesting this galley and the time I finally got around to reading it.  During that interval I had forgotten the description of the book mentioning that it's the opening installment of a planned trilogy.  Sp the cliffhanger ending and abrupt non-resolution of the central quest left me more frustrated than normal.  That being said, even if I remembered that two more books would follow, I think I still would have been disappointed.

The New Dark opens quite well with a nice bit of world-building.  The description of agrarian life in a post-nuclear world is handled quite well, as is the invasion of the idyllic little village.  Once the plot advances beyond the destruction of Sorrel's home the world-building is abandoned in favor of the hero quest.  There's not enough character development for my taste.  Sorrel goes from one problem to another conflict and then on to another struggle, meanwhile we learn very little about her as a person.  The same goes for David once the narrative switches to his perspective.  The book is highly event-driven.  There's not much meat on its bones. All we know is that Sorrel and David want to find each other.  Considering their entire village was destroyed, what bonds these two together?  I honestly have no idea.  Sorrel has a mysterious necklace and equally mysterious birthmark that are supposed to mark her for some higher destiny.  This book never gives us many hints.  Frankly there's not enough to draw me into caring about Sorrel or David.  I can't see much reason to invest more time, let alone money, in the next two books.
3.5 stars...The new dark left many questions. The book is a dystopian society but it really doesn't explain what happened. We just know there was a "before".  There are mutants, not sure what happened to cause the mutants. We meet Sorrel and her love interest David in the opening chapter. They live in Amat. It's a rough life where you hunt and trade for things you need. Sorrel is a young teen and naive. Mutants attack their camp and many people are killed. She survives but now is on her own. This is her story. I don't want to give too much away in the book but I did enjoy the world. I enjoyed the story but there are so many open questions. The book ends on a strange note too. Like not a cliffhanger and not an open question. I thought maybe my book didn't download all the way. I have actually reached out to the author just to check if that really was how the book was supposed to end. I would recommend the book but just know that there will be open questions and a strange ending. It appears as though this will be a trilogy so hopefully that will answer some of the questions.
Honestly, this book was just confusing and distasteful. The whole novel has this sense of hopelessness and depression. I felt like the author threw in a bunch of shocking events just because. There was no real rhyme or reason to why these things happened, and they didn't contribute to the plot or the background of the world.

There wasn't enough world building. We were introduced to so many different things at once. There are different areas of the world, different societies, different people, different histories... All of these are introduced but with little or no background to them. It left me feeling confused, rather than intrigued.

One thing that I can appreciate about the book though, is the author's intent to show how judging someone on their looks or race is not a way to really understand someone's character or intentions.

I don't have plans on continuing on with the series, and this wouldn't be something that I would recommend if asked.
I have mixed feelings about this book. Do not get me wrong I enjoyed it but since fantasy, YA, and dystopian novels are among my favorites I was really excited and set the bar extremely high in my mind. At this point I think I may have set it too high. When a book captures my attention nothing can drive me from it not even want of sleep and food. I am disappointed to say that this was not the case with The New Dark. I did put it down, willingly, multiple times. It started off really strong and then the momentum just died suddenly. As a result I was left wanting. I know a few people who would find the book riveting but for myself personally I do not think I will reread it at all.