Meet Cute

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jan 2018

Meet Cute had a diverse mixture of genres and representation, in this collection of stories, there is something for everyone. I love reading about characters meet cutes and the *thing* that starts it all. My 5 stars picks were Nicola Yoon's 'The Department of Dead Love, Emery Lord's 'Oomph', Katharine McGee's Click and Jocelyn Davies’ The Unlikelihood of Falling in Love .
Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet was sent to me through NetGalley for me to read and review. I'm really glad I got the chance to read this book because it gave me a bunch of warm fuzzies.

This book was a collection of short stories written by popular YA authors including: Jennifer L. Armentrout, Nicola Yoon, Katharine McGee, Sara Shepard, and more. The settings and genres of these stories varied greatly from one another. Some were set in the future, some took place right here and right, some created a social dialogue within the stories, others dipped into sci-fi and fantasy, but all of them focused on the moment two people who are destined to fall in love meet.

Of course, I liked some more than others, but all of them made me feel a lot of warmth and love while reading them. There was a part of me that was dying to find out if the couples that met in these stories lasted, but I think not knowing was part of the beauty. These stories captured people in almost perfect moments of meeting each other for the first time and it was as simple as that. What made these stories so lovely was the not knowing of how things ended up and just suspending yourself in the moment of that perfect meeting.

Meet Cute was a quick read since it was a compilation of short stories and all of the stories were wonderful. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys love stories, YA stories, and having a book give you the warm fuzzies.

Some of my favorites were:
The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon
Click by Katharine McGee
The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies
I absolutely loved this. My favourite was short story was Katharine McGee's, it was just so sweet. A book of short stories of how people met, what more could you want. All of the stories were so beautifully written and cute.
I have been pondering for a few hours how can I approach a review of this anthology – the idea is simple, Meet Cute tells 14 different stories of those first encounters when something magical happens. So it’s not as though there can be a massive spoiler but at the same time I don’t want to take away the joy of your own discovery!

What I loved about the anthology is that the stories and voice are distinctive and varied. We have different settings, different times, different genders. A few stories follow a more traditional YA contemporary style (and I think some of them were my favourite, like Oomph, Click or The Dictionary of You and Me) but we also have some magical realism thrown in (The Way We Love Here) or dystopia (The Department of Dead Love). It’s a very smooth and soothing read, makes you grin a little and makes you think a little too. It even managed to stir some emotion in my cold black heart.

What I didn’t like was what seems to be a new trend of using narrative in the second person in some of the stories. It always throws me off and I find it more difficult to empathise and get my head around the story. I hope this will not be a big new trend!

Overall, highly recommended, only took me 2 days to whizz through the whole collection.
This was a mixed bag. I desperately need more of Meredith Russo's story about a transgender girl falling in love with a still-in-the-closet Christian girl. Then there were two that were just blah. Most of them were cute little love stories that had just the right amount of romance.
Some of these stories were really cute, but some were just ridiculous. I'm not sure if the authors understand what a meet cute is, but seeing each other in a bathroom and then randomly kissing is not quite what a meet cute is all
About.
very cute anthology that I REALLY enjoyed even though I'm usually not a big fan of anthologies myself.
This is a lovely and pleasantly diverse short story collection - I particularly liked that there were four f/f couples featured, as these are quite often overlooked within YA, and that it included stories in different genres. I genuinely enjoyed all of them, but the ones that most stuck with me were Meredith Russo's 'Somewhere That's Green', about a trans girl and a seemingly transphobic classmate brought together by a school play; Emery Lord's 'Oomph', a very cute meeting between two girls in an airport; and Nicola Yoon's 'The Department of Dead Love', a high concept tale of a boy who goes to great lengths to get over his ex-girlfriend. A couple of the stories felt a little cramped or rushed given the restrictive word count, but the standard of the writing is excellent and it introduced me to a few new (for me) writers who I'll definitely look out for again.
'Meet Cute' was a great addition to the YA anthology shelf, with so many adorable romances with enough variety that there's something for everyone. I really appreciated the fact that at least a quarter of the stories had LGBT protagonists (with Emory Lord's f/f meet cute being one of our favourites!), making this the most diverse anthology I've read.

I also loved the mix of genres, too. Although the amount of world building writers that Nicola Yoon and Dhonielle Clayton had to do to make their story work would have been more at home in a full length novel, it was interesting that there was some really high concept things going on as well as the classic 'two strangers in an airport' storyline.

My absolute favourite of the collection was written by Jocelyn Davies. It was definitely on the longer side, which I loved, and felt like the most satisfying meet cute about a girl finding a cute boy on the subway and working out the statistics to meet him again.

Most importantly, 'Meet Cute' has given me more material from my favourite authors and helped me to discover new ones! Definitely worth a read if romance is your thing!
Meet Cute is a sweet and occasionally frothy YA anthology. Each story focuses on the couple meeting. The various authors do a great job of capturing that fizzy feeling that comes with meeting someone with potential. I loved that the stories feature characters who are diverse in race, sex, and sexuality. While all the stories were good, the stand out for me was Jennifer L. Armentrout's "The Dictionary of You and Me."
Aw what a cute, mushy, adorable collection of meet cutes! There is a huge range of stories in here, bursting with originality and tons of diversity. Some of the stories were a little cheesy for my taste, but most left me with a smile on my face, and the characters fondly in my thoughts long after I finished the story. I think this book would make a very cute valentines day gift.

Buy, Borrow or Bin Verdict: Buy
This book was cute as promised, but I feel like some of the stories weren’t as cute as I wanted them to be. When I think fo a meetcute I think of something that makes me melt. A lot of the stories felt incomplete. I think for me, it was because I didn’t get invested in their relationship because I didn’t meet the other person until the time they meet. It wasn’t someone they knew in passing or knew of, usually it was someone we don’t really know about until that second. I know the whole point of the stories was the “meetcute” but I think it just fell a little flat for me. I’m not sad I read it, I was just expecting it to be a lot more heartwarming.
I have loved discovering these different love stories created by so many authors I admire. I've loved the diversity (which was so important to me). The cover is absolutely beautiful.
This was a fun book to read! It is full of stories of couples meeting in unique ways and falling in love. Some of the stories I just wanted to keep reading to learn more about the characters. Some of my favorites include The Way We Love Here, a fantasy story of a people who are born with a type of birthmark that leads them to their true love, The Dictionary of True Love, a story of an overdue library bringing two people together and The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love, how an example of statistical probability leads to a meet cute.
This was such a cute book! It was super diverse and inclusive! It’s getting easier to find diverse books, but it is still definitely not the norm. I loved these quick reads especially Emery Lord and Jennifer Armentrouts stories! I would definitely recommend this book!
The book is an anthology with short stories of first encounters. The narrative is light and perfect for anyone who is looking for a cute book. Each story has its particularity, which makes reading fun and diversified. I loved "Click" by Katharine Mcgee, a futuristic story, but with current aspects and characters with real feelings.
this was such a cute, fun book! i loved the way the stories were written and wouldn't mind seeing another anthology like this. :)
Every single story is amazing (and totally different) which is a fantastic achievement for an anthology. But, I suppose, totally unsurprising for the level of talent involved. Kass Morgan's story is absolutely heartbreaking. Jennifer L Armentrout's story had me grinning like a fool in public. Julie Murphy's made me want to cheer. Emery Lord's was so good I added her entire catalog to my TBR.
Thank you to NetGalley for the e-ARC!

THIS BOOK WAS SO ADORABLE.  Every story was like a tiny decadent dessert, and I ate them all right up.  Honestly, this would have been five stars for me except that it was a short story compilation.  I try to avoid short story compilations because either I don't feel like I got to know the characters well enough to care about them because the story was so short, or else I was SO invested in the story that then I felt cheated out of a full-length book about those characters or that universe.  Plus, this book has a truly all-star cast of authors and almost every story was absolutely perfect.  Can't wait to have a physical copy of this one in my classroom library!
This anthology was absolutely adorable. The range of stories and diversity of characters was also fantastic. I think my favorite stories were Click, Siege Etiquette (the second person POV was SO interesting!), and The Department of Dead Love. I think this story would be a great addition to any high school library collection!