Meet Cute

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jan 2018

This is a short story collection featuring many very popular YA authors and obviously there were some stories I didn't really like (the first one and the ones by Jennifer L Armentrout, Huntley Fitzpatrick and Katie Cotugno to be exact) and my favourites were the one by Julie Murphy (I love this woman now) and Nicola Yoon (who I am excited to read more from) as well as a super unexpected favourite: Jocelyn Davie!
I would definitely recommend this if you are into cute stories
3.75/5 stars
3.5 actually!

Very cute. My favorites were the first one (Siege Etiquette by Katie Cougno) and the Jennifer L Armentrout one (The dictionary of you and me).

I should have researched the meaning of "meet cute" before reading this book because some of the stories were so interesting and had so much potential that I just needed more! Specially the first one, it was very short but I can see it made into a book. I would like to see character development in those characters.

All the stories were very original and different from each other so it wasn't repetitive at all, some of them are even sci fi I wasn't not expecting and I liked it! However I still felt like some of them were a little too cheesy for my taste, so that's why I give this book a solid 3.5.
It took me a bit to get into the stories, there were a few at the beginning that didn't really hit the "cute" part of the phrase "meet cute" in my opinion.  But as I got going, so many of the later stories won me over.  A few of the stories were done in second person, which isn't always a favorite of mine.  Like the Imagines book, I couldn't get that far in.  But then others in here that tried that point of view, did work.  I got to read something by Dhonielle Clayton, getting me ready to read her book The Belles soon.  I have to admit though, the first book that left me grinning like an idiot was Armentrout's story.  Of course it had to do with a library, so it was totally the nerdy girl type of story I love.  That was totally what I consider a "meet cute".  Then I also loved the story that took place on a subway, seeing the perfect guy on the subway train that was crossing the opposite way, and then having the girl use it as a project for her statistics class, it was just so cute!

The book had a variety of stories, not all were necessarily just contemporary romance, there were several LGBTQ stories as well.  And I will say, that even though a few of the stories were  not my cup of tea, all of them were very well written.  I will be purchasing this one for my school library for sure.
What a lot of fun it was to see the beginnings! I thoroughly enjoyed this title! Some of my favorite authors writing lovely, sad, serious, and even silly stories and I got my fill of fresh romance. I dug it. Great concept for a book well-realized.
It's hard to rate anthologies because there are so many stories, but this book was not good. The only authors saving it from 1-star are Nina LaCour and Nicola Yoon. The rest of the stories weren't very good. Especially the first which was in second person and reminded me of a bad wattpad fanfiction.
I enjoyed this anthology of meet cute YA stories! I love meet-cute romance, it's one of my favorite romance subgenres, and it was really nice to spend time reading teen meet-cutes (most of whom were romances). There are some really lovely stories here, a few that didn't work for me, and one that I was troubled by. All in all, that's pretty good for an anthology.

I loved three of the f/f romance stories. "Print Shop", by Nina LaCour was gorgeous and held my heart. I especially loved all the details about the print shop and first jobs and falling for someone's online presence. (This was my first read of anything by this author and it made me want to read her other work!) "Somewhere That's Green" by Meredith Russo (which has a trans girl MC) made me cry. It's beautiful and heartwrenching and so so timely. "Oomph" by Emery Lord was a lovely meet cute f/f romance. Fluffy and adorable.

I also really enjoyed several of the geekier m/f meet-cutes. "Click", by Katharine McGee was sad and sweet and geeky in the best way. "The Unlikely Likelihood Of Falling In Love" by Jocelyn Davies was a lovely fluffy m/f romance, and a love letter to NYC. I really liked the secondary characters, and the heroine's voice was so strong. It was such a great take on the theme, too. I enjoyed "259 Miles" by Kass Morgan, a m/f meet cute where two teens who want to go to Mars are put into isolation together as a final test. Its got some angst & some light moments too, and felt balanced in them.

The worldbuilding in "The Way We Love Here" by Dhonielle Clayton has wonderful detail, but I wanted a longer story to hold it! I struggle with the fated mates idea as a central concept; I liked that it doesn't just accept it, that challenge is built in.

A few of the m/f romance stories felt more thinly drawn as far as characterization goes, but delivered a really strong meet cute, plotwise. "The Dictionary of You and Me" by Jennifer L. Armentrout is a cute and fluffy m/f romance where characters meet through a library book, and "The Department of Dead Love" by Nicola Yoon where characters meet through unpacking a break up were two good examples of this.

I was all on board for "The Intern" by Sara Shepard, a grief centered rock star story til it turned into cultural appropriation. It's not okay to have a romantic gesture based on telling a white character that she's a Hawaiian goddess.

"Something Real" by Julie Murphy has a great premise, and quietly builds to it, and I liked the fat rep, but I was on tenterhooks about whether I was going to be queerbaited the whole time. I think it needed a few more cues to queer readers as to who the love interest was going to be.

A few stories just didn't work for me. "Say Everything"  by Huntley Fitzpatrick because of the pacing and arc, and the way the conflict just faded away for no reason. "Hourglass" by Ibi Zoboi because I was so angry with her friend being so awful that I just couldn't get excited about the meet cute. "Siege Etiquette" by Katie Cotugno mostly because I wanted it to be a romance with a happy ending and it just wasn't.

Content Warnings listed by story

Siege Etiquette: References to alcohol use child physical abuse, parental death and a drunk driving car accident. Descriptions of bullying.
Hourglass: Fat hating racist bullying. Internalized fat antagonism.
Click: death of family member, grief arc.
The Intern: parental death, grief arc, cultural appropriation.
Somewhere That's Green: transmisogyny, trans oppression, misgendering.
The Way We Love Here: suicidality, terminal illness.
Oomph: parent with anxiety.
The Dictionary of You & Me: Reference to physical violence on a date, I read it as a coded reference to sexual assault.
The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love: casual ableist slur.
259 Million Miles: cyberbullying, parental death.
Something Real: description of car accident where MC's sibling died, vomiting.
Say Everything: financial ruin, jokes about violence.
The Department of Dead Love: references to partner death.
I had a really hard time getting into this anthology. The first story in particular with the second person writing was jarring to read. It also wasn't my idea of "cute" and I struggled with it quite a bit, so this is a DNF for me for now. Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read this anthology early.
*Thank you HMH Books for Young Readers, Netgalley, and all of the wonderful authors who contributed to this anthology for the early review copy in exchange for my honest opinion

This was such a unexpectedly wonderful read that left me feeling happy inside & in love with Romance haha! I’m going to need to watch Serendipity, You’ve Got Mail, Brown Sugar, Sleepless in Seattle, Love and Basketball, and last but not least Love Actually during this upcoming holiday weekend. Get it all out of my system LOL! but I digress..

Some of the diversity/own voices stories included in Meet Cute had POC, LGBTQIA+, and plus sized rep. Some of the relevant topics discussed were the misogynistic behavior in the entertainment industry, fashion & how it mostly caters to a specific body type, and struggling libraries with no real funding. I fell in love with so many of the stories & will treasure this collection for years to come. If you’ve been looking for an anthology but have been a bit weary due to some less than great ones (no shade)…look no further! I’ve found a few new to me authors I can’t wait to read more from & got reacquainted with some 2017 debut authors I need more from like yesterday (*whispers* Ibi Zoboi I’m pleading to you).

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Opening scene is a house party that the police have come to shut down. Hailey is the MC & The story is told in third person POV? Since this isn’t the first time the police have coming knocking, Haileys best friend is adamant on not opening the door. Instead everyone hides and Hailey ends up in the bathroom with Wolf, a classmate who she’s known since she was a little girl. Wolf receives partial homeschooling in order to allow him to help his family on their farm. To Hailey, Wolf is a fresh clean slate…someone who doesn’t know about the tragedy that marked her past. I gave this one 2.5 stars because of the writing style/POV, it just wasn’t my cup of tea tbh. I was however very interested in Wolf as a character & would love to find him in a future full length book

Print Shop by Nina LaCour ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Oh goodness! I should’ve known I would LOVE this to pieces! Any time I pick up anything by Nina LaCour I end up falling in love with the writing & characters. We meet Evie who interviews to work at a old fashioned print shop as a way to step back from technology & modern day everything. When she gets the job, she realizes the shop actually needs help stepping into the 21st century. Although it isn’t what she signed up for, helping this shop is something she really wants to do.
In doing so, she also wasn’t expecting to meet a girl after her own heart. This was such a cute queer story but I’m going to need more of the characters who work at the print shop! We have the Gay artist/owner of the shop with a quick cameo of his husband, his pregnant assistant and the baby’s father all giving life to this old school shop & gahhhh! Nina!!! Can 2018 be the year we get more Nina LaCour please & thank you?!?!

Hourglass by Ibi Zoboi ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Introduces Cherish as she is dress shopping with her best friend for prom. Cherish is debating whether she’s going to attend since finding a dress for her body type isn’t as easy as it is for her best friend Stacy. Cherish is tall, curvy, and dark skinned living in a town made up of primarily white people. When she stumbles across a flyer for Mamadou’s African Tailoring: One Size Don’t Fit All, she decides to make a visit. This story embraces the beauty in different body shapes & sizes and in turn highlights the need for more black owned businesses. Loved how this Meet Cute carried some important messages along the way. I did however wish we’d been given a tad bit more of the Meet Cute itself.

Click by Katherine McGee⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2

Takes place in 2020 NYC & is told in alternating POV’s between Alexa and Raden who’ve both signed up to a dating service app. Grieving & trying to get back in the day in scene, Alexa is giving Click a chance since she believes in the power of data. A computer engineer herself, she figured Click reliable enough to find her a compatible match. Raden is a photography student who is trying to get over his ex. Their meet up is sort of ruined when Alexa realizes she’s left her phone behind in the cab she took to get to her date. A unlikely adventure begins & I just died thinking what if someone would do this for me?!? the last line was sort of cheesy but otherwise I can see this one play out on the screen as a rom-com
Many of the stories themselves were cute, and many of the couples within the stories were super cute. I loved the diversity of stories and characters. But I didn’t think that all of the stories in this collection qualified as meet cutes.

The blurb says these are stories about “how they first met.” Ummmmm… that’s NOT necessarily meet cute. Stories about characters who already knew each other and then got to know each other better aren’t really meet cute stories. I don’t think that depressing stories qualify either, no matter how cute the meet.

HERE ARE A FEW STORIES IN THE COLLECTION THAT DID MEET MY DEFINITION OF MEET CUTE:

Print Shop by Nina LaCour

This was a tightly written, cohesive story with themes I appreciated and a meet cute that I give high points for creativity. When Evie agrees to help a small print shop in her neighborhood with their social media, she gets tangled up in a Twitter war with a very unsatisfied customer. I loved that this was a virtual meet cute that transitioned to a real meeting. This meet cute fit with the story’s themes of Luddite old fashionedness vs. newfangled online life and this super-cute couple put a smile on my face!

OOMPH by Emery Lord

This story takes place in an airport, which is such a great place for a chance encounter meet cute! Cass is at in the security line at JFK when she’s given a mysterious flyer by a TSA agent. This leads to a lot of witty banter with the passenger ahead of her in line. They’re on different flights, but at adjacent gates, and Cass saves her mysterious new friend from one of those overly chatty fellow travelers. OOMPH was a cute and flirty story that won my heart.

Something Real by Julie Murphy

June is the president of the Official Dylan Fan Club International, which has won her the chance to compete on A Date Come True, a show where ordinary people try to win a date with a celeb. June is vying for a date with … you guessed it: Dylan, a singer who was plucked out of YouTube obscurity by a record label. I don’t want to say too much more about this story except that it was full of surprises! Meet cute with a twist.
Meet Cute is fabulous! There are some absolutely adorable stories in this collection, but it isn't fluff. Some of the stories are actually quite serious, and take on subjects like death, and being transgender. I love that they take on some challenging subjects in a way that is as accessible as it is enjoyable. All of the couples make your heart melt just a little, but none more so for me than Jocelyn Davies's
story about two people who meet on passing subways, or Jennifer Armentrout's story about love found from a missing library book.

Meet Cute is perfect for when you just want a story that will make you feel good in the end, especially when you might not have the time for a novel. In less time than it takes to watch a Hallmark movie, you can read a much better story here.

{Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of Meet Cute from NetGalley}
Overall, this was a lovely fun read of mainly contemporary stories. I would love some of these as full-length novels!
Oy. Everyone likes a good "meet cute," but it's hard to like when followed up with mediocre writing.

I was excited to get check this out via NetGalley, but it became such a chore to get through some of these stories. I mean, I literally would flip my e-pages ahead to see how much longer I have to go to get to the end -- and often it would appear to be too many pages before I can change channels to what I hope is a better story, which it often wasn't.

Best of the bunch was Click by Katharine McGee. Hard to pick what was the blah-est, but the 1st story and Something Real stuck in my head as the most infuriating to get through. The 1st story, Siege Etiquette, because I remember thinking "This is what they want to lead with?!" and Something Real because it did not feel real at all. With the exception of Click (and there were a few that were ok -- The Dictionary of You and Me and The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love; Print Shop was very lyrical, but I was meh on the story), I suspect this was not any writer's best effort.

Can't recommend purchasing this collection, which is 1.5/2 stars at the most.
Short story collections can be hit or miss. This one is mostly a hit, with a few that are less interesting. The only downside is wanting to read more and it's just a short story!
This was a nice collection of short stories.  There were some REALLY great entries, but the ones that fell flat brought down the collection.
3.5 stars This was my first anthology and my first YA contemporary in a while. I enjoyed most of these stories and I'm really keen to dive back into romance after being in a weird funk of not really knowing what to read. I do think I would have prefered reading this in physical format simply so I could easily pick and choose which story to read (and see which are longest etc) but that is just a minor detail and hasn't influenced my rating.

Review on emmanovella.co.uk coming tomorrow!
In the mood for a feel-good story (so, always) I picked up my iPad to read Meet Cute early this year, immersed in the New Year of books ahead. It's clear from the beginning that these stories are full of whip-smart, lovable characters who are discovering something new and magical in the world with someone else: love. I won't do a mini-review of every book in the anthology (gosh, can you imagine how long that review would be?!) but I will be saying my favourite things about the book as a whole, of which there were many.
The stories, depicted as the beginnings of how they met, are the stories of YA dreams. Not only are they achingly beautiful - in particular Nina LaCour, Huntley Fitzpatrick, Emery Lord and Jennifer Armentrout's stories - but they're meaningful, frank and oh-so-realistic. I'm also super proud that Meredith Russo wrote a trans heroine for her story in Meet Cute, and that the authors showed the ups-and-downs of breaking up, that love had no bounds in futuristic tales and humorous romances that will make your heart swell. Now, because these stories are short and involve an "instant connection" meaning a Meet Cute, there is the dreaded insta-love. But you know what? It's the good kind of insta-love. The kind that is really believable. I could honestly imagine this is how some people - soulmates and true love - actually meet and fall in love in an instant, fleeting moment.
Overall, Meet Cute is as magical as it sounds. Each story holds something momentous and epic, a love story for the ages. I couldn't fault any of the unique spins on Meet Cute's, or any of the ways that they panned out. This is truly such a breath of fresh air, the perfect weekend read and equally welcome book for fans of sweet YA romances with sparkling beginnings. A huge five stars!
I picked this as my first read of 2018 because I wanted something fun flirty and something with the “feels” and boy did I get it with this anthology! While with all anthologies I wasn’t wowed by all the stories I was with way more than half of them. Of course, I have my favorite authors that I go to but I also was exposed to some that I never read anything from and highly enjoyed their stories.

One of my favorites was from Jocelyn Davies who was new to me and omg that story was just too cute. It was about a girl who was all about stats and math and how her world revolved around that. One day she meets a boy who was going on the opposite train and she decides to use math to determine if they met again every day using different variables. Everyone tells her it was fate that they were meant to meet but she doesn’t believe in fate she thinks its just the fact that people are creatures of habit and by doing the same thing everyday peoples routines just sync up that way. Well, she slowly starts to fall for this guy after a few brief encounters with him and when she doesn’t see him for awhile decides her experiment wasn’t worth it. Just when she thinks she will never see him again fate steps in reunites them. Oh, how I loved this story it was just... everything!

I found this anthology fun and light-hearted and an awesome way to start off my book year. I highly encourage everyone to give this one a try, you are bound to find a story or two or more that will tug at your heartstrings.
This was a wonderful anthology.  I requested this from NetGalley because I was familiar with several of the authors and liked their writing style.  It is unusual to like every story in a short story collection, but in this case I truly did.  This would be a great book to read around Valentine's Day since the stories focus on characters meeting and falling in love.
I RECEIVED A COPY THROUGH NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

These stories are all so cute! I would love to have full versions of all most all of them. There wasn’t one story that I didn’t like. Reading this filled me with the warm and fuzzies. For all of these authors, this is the first I’ve read anything by them and I feel like I’ve been missing out. THEY ARE AMAZING.

I went through and rated each story.

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno– 3 stars. Wasn’t a big fan of how it was written but I the story was really cute.

Print Shop by Nina LaCour – 3 stars. I think I’d like to read more about the Print Shop happenings and Evie.

Hourglass by Ibi Zobai– 4 stars. Totally relate to the whole friends suck part and I love Cherish. I want to know what’s in store for her.

Click by Katharine McGee– 3 stars.

The Intern by Sara Shepard- 3 stars.

Somewhere That’s Green by Meredith Russo– 4 stars. I love it!

The Way We Love Here by Dhonielle Clayton– 4 stars. I really like the coil concept and it’s just a unique story.

OOMPH by Emery Lord- 4 stars. Always follow your Oomph!

The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L Armentrout– 4 stars. Is this my favorite? Maybe I can’t decide. Literary love is the cutest.

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies– 3 stars

259 Million Miles by Kass Morgan– 3 stars.

Something Real by Julie Murphy– 3 stars.

Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick- 3 stars

The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon- 4 stars!!

I really enjoyed this. If you’re looking for something light and happy this would be a good idea.
Meet Cute is a strong anthology, full of lovely stories about people meeting for the first time.

Katie Cotugno's story opens the collection well with two characters who have the scope for a whole novel (isn't that the problem with some short stories?) and then you're quickly flung into one of the most memorable stories - Print Shop by Nina Lacour. I LOVED the basic settings, the almost mundane lives of these teenagers and the excitement that quick love brings to them.

The rest of the collection has plenty of standouts, including The Unlikely Likelihood Of Falling In Love by Jocelyn Davies, about two teenagers who see each other through train windows on a morning commute.

Overall, this is a strong collection firmly in the YA Romance category and one I would recommend.