Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I love Manga Classics!  These are excellent retellings of classic novels.  The artwork is beautiful, the pacing is perfect.  While I would never suggest substituting the manga for the actual book, I cannot recommend these more highly for reluctant readers, especially those who are reluctant to read the classics.  I have said so many times that the classics get a bad rap for being boring.  This series proves that is not true.

I think this might be my favorite Manga Classic so far.  The story is positively chilling, and the beautiful artwork really draws the reader into the experience.  The tale of Edmond Dantes is a disturbing one, and the Count presents a very complicated figure.  Nokman Poon's character designs really brought him to life, and turned a mysterious figure into a handsome, tragic, and very dangerous force.

Such an excellent book!  If this doesn't make you want to read Dumas' masterpiece, I don't know what will!
I received a digital edition of the Manga Classics The Count of Monte Cristo from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. This is a classic novel, but one that I didn't know much about. I used this adaptation as a sort of toe-in-the-water to see if I would be interested in the novel by Alexandre Dumas. I didn't know what to expect, but I absolutely loved it. The story itself is a classic and satisfying revenge story; the count is wrongly imprisoned as a young man, and, after a daring escape from the dungeon, punishes those who betrayed him. It's a gripping read and I loved every part of it; the vengeance was quite satisfying. The adaptation itself was great, the framing and illustrations added a lot to the story, and I supremely enjoyed it. The story has so many layers that were represented by this adaptation, and it have left me wanting to read the novel itself. I'm quickly falling in love with this series.
As always, I was thrilled with this book!
I've enjoyed several of the Manga Classics series thanks to Netgalley, but this one is an easy favorite because the Count of Monte Cristo is a long time favorite of mine (the best classic of all time? probably).
The art was great and it did an excellent job of telling the story and condensing it into a shorter, easier to swallow tale without sacrificing any of the story.
I am starting to really love the Manga Classics adaptations. I have not read the original version of The Count of Monte Cristo, so I cannot speak for how close to the original it is, however, I can say that reading the manga has definitely convinced me to read it at my earliest convenience. The artwork in this book is excellent, as I have come to expect from the manga classics books, and the story remains easy to follow and well pace, even though it has obviously been considerably reduced in size when compared to the original. Definitely worth a read.
I’ve been a fan of The Count of Monte Cristo for an incredibly long time, so naturally upon seeing that there was a manga version of the story I needed to read it. After having followed this story in a number of its many various forms, I’m pretty well acquainted with the story itself. This manga version follows the tale quite well, hitting all of the important and key points. A man, wrongfully imprisoned for treason at the desires of villains who seek to improve their own ends by removing him from the picture, Edmond Dantes uses the treasure of Sparta to bring about his revenge.

Truly a wonderful story for a variety of reasons, The Count of Monte Cristo is filled with cruel plots and exquisitely planned revenge. I’ve always found this to be a deeply captivating story, though I will admit that I’ve always loved the 2002 film version the best. As a manga, The Count of Monte Cristo is done well, but unfortunately falls into a snag in regards to how lengthy the actual tale is. I don’t think the manga did an exceptional job at piecing the vast array of events together. It is a difficult task to determine which pieces to rush through and which to actually portray within illustrations, and unfortunately the various portions of the tale that were skimmed in favor of having a shorter book were a great loss to the graphic novel as a whole.

All in all, the graphic novel certainly holds true to the general story, but I was less impressed by the quick summarized pieces and felt that they took away a lot of what I would have liked to see in the novel. Perhaps this should have been built into a longer book or perhaps it should have been published in multiple parts, but I simply did not get enough of the story that I loved out of this.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was honestly... meh? I was never even a fan of the original work, but I was intrigued to see how it would be turned into a graphic novel and I was just... disappointed because it is still boring.

However, I did appreciate the art style and well check out more things from this author!
I LOVED IT! I've read the German translation of the original a few years back and The Count of Monte Christo is one of my favorite classics if all time.
Of course the manga classic edition can't possibly cover every single detail and plotline, but it's worth it nonetheless.
The art is beautiful, the dialogue appropriate for a classic retelling and I'd recommend this to all manga fans, who want to read more classics or to people with an open mind that feel a bit intimidated by the size of the original book.
I found that there are more manga classics coming out and I'm thinking about starting to collect them.
I lost interest in reading it. The illustrations weren't very special and the story was adapted too simplistically. It might appeal to those who are new to Dumas' story, though.
The Count of Monte Cristo is an interesting graphic novel, full of beautiful illustrations. I loved this Manga adaptation and thought it was quite impressive. I enjoyed the plot and the dynamic characters. I really liked the style of the illustrations of this book, which I think complimented the story well.
I received this ARC from NetGalley and Udon Entertainment in exchange for an honest review
"My kingdom is bounded only by the world, I adopt all customs, speak all languages. I have but two adversaries, distance and time. Only death can stop me. God is there but not one above me."

I didn’t like this manga as much as the others from the same publisher. Why? I loved Les Miserables and Romeo and Juliet, I also loved Edgar Allan Poe's stories. Why then did not this excite me?

It had a great start, seeing the wonder of the drawings. The problem perhaps lies in the fact that a lot of information occupies the quadrants of the pages, while the drawings are lost in the background. I had a hard time reading all that informations together, while my eyes did not look at the drawings. In my opinion a manga should have more drawings and less written parts, just because in the manga the images are fundamental to make the story go forward. Here, however, there are too many written parts that slowed down reading and therefore enjoying the story.

I know it is impossible to make a satisfactory summary of the Count of Monte Cristo, but perhaps you could use many more pages, or remove some more marginal story lines.
The drawings are very beautiful, but they are few compared to the written parts, which weigh down the reading. Of course, the story is always beautiful and exciting, especially if you already know it. It's just that I was a little disappointed, I expected more action, but everything was rather slow.

Maybe you could read this book before tackling the giant book by Dumas.
First of, I'd like to say that I haven't read the novel yet,  though I already saw the movie, which lead me to this manga. So I cant quite comment on the accuracy. However, I did enjoy reading this very much, making my reading of the classic swift and graphic which is really helpful. It was concise and easily undetstood. I was hooked to it from page one and read it in one sitting.
If your quite intimidated by classic literature I suggest start reading this and work your self up to the actual novel..
Great adaption of the novel "The Count of Monte Cristo!" I was immersed from start to finish! The only thing that confused me was the large cast of characters, but that didn't deter me from enjoying the story.
This manga adaptation was my first reading of The Count of Monte Cristo. I know the general idea of the story, one of massive revenge (the Simpsons did a small skit on it at one point), but I have never read the book (I’m sure there is also a film adaptation I have not seen either). But I swear the book is on my list of classics I need to read. It is no surprise that I am obsessed with manga, so when I found this on NetGalley, I was in heaven and was desperate for a copy!

My review is not necessarily going to be on the story itself because Alexandre Dumas wrote it ages upon ages ago, but I will mention my thoughts on it before getting to the artwork and this adaptation!

The Count of Monte Cristo blew my mind and immediately made me wish I had read the story beforehand. Although life seems to be going great for Edmond Dantés, bitter acquaintances of his decide to change the luck Edmond seems to have consistently. Thrown into jail before his wedding, Edmond suffers nearly twenty years wondering how and why he is thought to be a traitor to crown and country. Edmond meets the man in the cell beside him and begins to concoct a plan of revenge. And damn, did Edmond do a hell of a good job at planning every single detail upon breaking out of jail. Just when I thought that things were working against him, Edmond surprised me when it turned out he knew exactly what was going on. I loved it! The story had me turning pages like crazy, dying to know what would happen to Edmond or those he enacted revenge upon. As for the ending, I was pleasantly surprised at how everything came together. There was a moment where I was beginning to wonder about things . . .

This was my first manga classic adaptation (I first noticed Pride and Prejudice on Amazon a while back and wanted to get hold of that. If only I had known to get on NetGalley!) Everything about this version was perfect. The illustrations were precisely what I had hoped they would be, beautifully representing these characters. I am sure the original novel is quite large, but the illustrator and plotter did a fantastic job of keeping the action going without detracting from the story. There are some portions where they have explained something happening/that had happened without illustrating it, but the moments/scenes chosen to be cut out and stripped to only a breakdown of what happened helped keep the book flowing.

My only gripe was that the pages were a little pixel-ly, but there could have been a glitch or something when transferring it into a digital format (did I mention this was my first e-Copy of a manga? It was so trippy!). But I won’t ding any stars for that because I am sure the paperback copy looks great. I have this on my wish-list of books I need to buy. I enjoyed it and cannot wait to read the others I was accepted for, along with finally getting a copy of Pride and Prejudice. I bet it is just as amazing!
First of all I wanna say I'm a HUGE Alexandre Dumas fan and Count Of Monte Cristo is one of my absolute favorite books. So i was a bit hesitant to even read this

Boy am I glad to have chosen this as my first manga read ever. I LOVED it and loved how close it stayed to the original story.

I will Highly recommend this to manga and ya readers alike.

4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is the first Manga Classic I've read, and ironically, it's for a classic novel I have yet to read. However, given the graphic depictions of this story of revenge and how close the artists and writers try to keep the manga version to the original, I'm inspired to read the source material.

I've enjoyed many manga series ever since I was in high school, and as our society seems to be moving to a more visual means of learning, I believe the Manga Classics are a great means of understanding the source material. In truth, I wish I'd had access to these supplemental materials to help comprehend what might have been confusing or difficult to grasp within the pages of the text.

Trusting the artist and writer have tried to remain as true to Dumas' novel as possible, I believe they have likely condensed it well. With such a lengthy novel to work from, I'm sure that process was on the challenging side, and they do explain it in the pages following the ending. I think high school students would benefit in having access to these literacy tools, especially having the opportunity to see how the story was crafted and the characters designed. Again, it is likely not a replacement for the original novel but an excellent supplement. If all the other Manga Classics follow this example, I believe English teachers or high school librarians would benefit in offering a collection in their classrooms and libraries.

Highly recommended.
I love this Manga Classic adaptations!
I've read Jane Eyre and Pride and prejudice, two of my favourite books, and I found them almost perfect. But this manga of The Count of Monte Cristo is my first aproach to this liteature classic, so I can't tell if it's a great adaptation or not. I found no difficulty with the story, which of course is great (it's a classic for some reason!). I knew the story and I became hooked since page one. And the art is beautiful! With not too much detail but with movement, a lot of facial expressions, even you can see how the characters grow old. I loved it.
I think it's perfect for youngsters (and not so young people!) as a first aproach of a great literature classic.
Excellent retelling of Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo!

This is a very complex tale with a huge cast of characters: good guys, bad guys and a host of
bystanders, all cogs in the wheel of Edmond Dantès's quest for vengeance. No scheme is too far-fetched or too cruel for him to get his revenge on the three men who so betrayed him: Mondego, Danglars and Villefort.
I can certainly understand the count's righteous anger, being wrongfully imprisoned and tortured for years will leave its mark on a person. And Edmond Dantès is very much a changed man once he escapes from the Chateau d'If. I just feel sad that he takes it so far and loses so much of himself in the process. His actions affect more people than just his three intended targets.

I loved the Manga version of this classic adventure novel. The author did a great job in adapting the story, keeping all the major elements and characters. That being said, you need to keep your head in the game when reading this story, because it gets quite complicated. I was very glad to have the character relationship guide to help me remember who everyone was and how they were all connected.

The illustrations are very beautiful. I loved how all the characters had their own distinct look.
unable to read since for some reason my computer can't open these type of documents with the programs I have.
If you haven't read the Count of Monte Cristo let me give a brief overview of what it's about:

In the beginning, Edmond Dantes is a kind and giving soul, he has just returned home after some months at sea. He reunites with his father, his friends, and his beloved. Dantes is on the brink of a happy and successful life, however, all of that is taken from him by cruel and selfish men. Before he can marry his betrothed he is taken into custody and locked away for years for unjust reasons.

The Manga Classics version of the Count of Monte Cristo surprisingly stayed very close to the original work of Alexander Dumas. As a fan of anime and manga, I was ecstatic to read this adaption and I was not disappointed.

Dantes eventually escapes and finds fortune to boot, he becomes a traveled and learned man, but there is only one thing he yearns for despite it all. Revenge.

I think these sort of mangas are so useful for people on the go who want to read classic novels or at least get a grasp on what they are about. It took me several tries to read the actual novel which this is based on, not because it was a bad story by any means, but because I just couldn't keep lugging around such a thick paperback. Not only is the Manga Classics version aesthetically pleasing to read, but it is also great when it comes to the convenience of the reader. Not everyone has time to sit and read anymore.
I like reading revenge dramas, but this one was way too elaborate. I started having trouble remembering all the twisty French names somewhere around the middle of the book and then it kind of turned into a nightmare keeping track of all the names of (so many!) characters.
But of course, I'm glad I read this as a Manga because I'm sure my patience would have worn out after a couple hundred pages otherwise.