Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I loved the artwork and the adaptation is both interesting and accurate to the original story by Alexandre Dumas. Of course, the story was simplified due to length restrictions, but it's still a long and thoroughly enjoyable graphic novel. It looks like a manga in terms of character design, which I actually prefer, and it made for a fast and quite engaging read. I started thinking I'd get a feel of it, then read it later. And I did eventually stop, at the end :)
I don't think it is a secret that Alexandre Dumas' master-piece The Count of Monte Cristo is my all-time favourite novel. I have written an extensive review of the book this summer which you can read here. I think the novel is simply one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written. I adore the plot, the characters and the whole vibe of the book. The writing is simply stunning. So, naturally, when I got the chance to read the Manga Classics retelling of my favorite story I simply could not say no.

I rather liked this manga. I liked that there was little to no step away from the original story. The art is beautiful, but I must say I was not amazed by it. At moment it did seem like the dialogues were made more easy in a way. That I didn't like. I believe they did it in case a person who did not read the original novel wanted to read the manga. I am a bit opposed to that, but that is simply because I think the original work is amazing.

One thing I particularly like about the art in this manga is the way certain character were drawn when they were young and old. I think it was done masterfully. Also, Edmonds disguises were wonderful!

I received this book in exchange for an honest review
I always wanted to read this great book by Alexander Dumas but it's hulk size delayed me starting it. But I am happy finally I have enjoyed this great work in form of a magna.
This magna does great work of trimming this giant book full of characters and twists into a readily understandable work.
It covers all major characters and twists of plot in a enjoyable format.
Artwork is great and you can see lovely backgrounds, eyes and emotions of characters and drawings capture the contemporary construction and outfits.
All female characters are charming and captions are concise and consistent.
Character of Count is nicely depicted and after reading it story slowly sets into your senses and you are left with admiration.
Thanks netgalley and author for review copy.
A great adaptation of one of my childhood favorites. The artwork is beautiful and it is one of my favourites from Udon Entertainment so far, highly recommended and definitely check out their other works.
This is a beautiful retelling of the classic tale. I have always loved The Count of Monte Cristo and this retelling is a great and fun version.
TW: suicide, murder

Disclaimer: I haven't read the original book, so I don't know how this compares to that.

Holy sh*t y'all, that was a lot but so fricking good, oh my gosh!

I want to own this manga in physical form, I want to be able to look at the glossy pages and flip through them and be able to physically hold this.

What a whirlwind of a ride!

I loved everything about this, from the story to the art, the characters, the placing. This version made me actually read this book that I've wanted to read for years but have put off. I'm so glad I picked it up, so, so glad!
A very good retelling of this classic tale in a manga format.  It is beautifully illustrated.  The story is condensed enough that the essence of the story is maintained.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of those classics I'd been meaning to read forever, but never seemed to get around to. When I saw it was available as one of the Manga Classics re-imaginings, I was pretty excited, as these renditions always make the classics a little easier for me to get through; they tell the same story in a condensed version, and the art is always so lovely and fun to read through.

Thankfully, this was no exception, and was actually one of my favorites yet as far as the artwork went! The Count himself is drawn in that classic style of the handsome hero you'd expect to see in a shoujo manga, which was really fun, even if it does kind of disregard his age. I kept forgetting that he'd be in his 40s or 50s by the time the bulk of the story takes place... but either way, it was a really enjoyable way to read the story and I can see how The Count of Monte Cristo would've taken people by storm at the time with its morally grey protagonist and vengeance-filled plot.
Another classic adapted for a more modern audience. I love the tale of the Count of Monte Cristo. It's a classic tale of despair and getting your desired revenge. The original book for this is huge, so it is understandable why the Manga Classics team had to tweak the tale. But I do not think, that any the of the main story, plot and twists had been forgotten. Once again would really recommend to all, who wish to read a classic but with modern and different take.
While the illustrations here were nicely done, the story just wasn’t very interesting to me. Fans of the original would probably like this manga, though.
I love reading classic in manga, even more being very well adapted.
I'm very fond of this publisher for launching their manga so carefully. With The Count of Monte Cristo it was no different, all the drama, all the thirst for revenge was very well transmitted through delicate and strong graphics.
All characterization of the characters was very well done and made me fall in love with Dante, his conflicts and anguish.
The way he went step by step conquering his victories and in the end how he perceived the feeling that remained after all was perfect.
I always like to read the considerations of the one who creates the adaptation, their research and how they create every detail.
I loved the cover and loved the moments when Dante appears surrounded by feathers.
I love Manga Classics!  These are excellent retellings of classic novels.  The artwork is beautiful, the pacing is perfect.  While I would never suggest substituting the manga for the actual book, I cannot recommend these more highly for reluctant readers, especially those who are reluctant to read the classics.  I have said so many times that the classics get a bad rap for being boring.  This series proves that is not true.

I think this might be my favorite Manga Classic so far.  The story is positively chilling, and the beautiful artwork really draws the reader into the experience.  The tale of Edmond Dantes is a disturbing one, and the Count presents a very complicated figure.  Nokman Poon's character designs really brought him to life, and turned a mysterious figure into a handsome, tragic, and very dangerous force.

Such an excellent book!  If this doesn't make you want to read Dumas' masterpiece, I don't know what will!
I received a digital edition of the Manga Classics The Count of Monte Cristo from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. This is a classic novel, but one that I didn't know much about. I used this adaptation as a sort of toe-in-the-water to see if I would be interested in the novel by Alexandre Dumas. I didn't know what to expect, but I absolutely loved it. The story itself is a classic and satisfying revenge story; the count is wrongly imprisoned as a young man, and, after a daring escape from the dungeon, punishes those who betrayed him. It's a gripping read and I loved every part of it; the vengeance was quite satisfying. The adaptation itself was great, the framing and illustrations added a lot to the story, and I supremely enjoyed it. The story has so many layers that were represented by this adaptation, and it have left me wanting to read the novel itself. I'm quickly falling in love with this series.
As always, I was thrilled with this book!
I've enjoyed several of the Manga Classics series thanks to Netgalley, but this one is an easy favorite because the Count of Monte Cristo is a long time favorite of mine (the best classic of all time? probably).
The art was great and it did an excellent job of telling the story and condensing it into a shorter, easier to swallow tale without sacrificing any of the story.
I am starting to really love the Manga Classics adaptations. I have not read the original version of The Count of Monte Cristo, so I cannot speak for how close to the original it is, however, I can say that reading the manga has definitely convinced me to read it at my earliest convenience. The artwork in this book is excellent, as I have come to expect from the manga classics books, and the story remains easy to follow and well pace, even though it has obviously been considerably reduced in size when compared to the original. Definitely worth a read.
I’ve been a fan of The Count of Monte Cristo for an incredibly long time, so naturally upon seeing that there was a manga version of the story I needed to read it. After having followed this story in a number of its many various forms, I’m pretty well acquainted with the story itself. This manga version follows the tale quite well, hitting all of the important and key points. A man, wrongfully imprisoned for treason at the desires of villains who seek to improve their own ends by removing him from the picture, Edmond Dantes uses the treasure of Sparta to bring about his revenge.

Truly a wonderful story for a variety of reasons, The Count of Monte Cristo is filled with cruel plots and exquisitely planned revenge. I’ve always found this to be a deeply captivating story, though I will admit that I’ve always loved the 2002 film version the best. As a manga, The Count of Monte Cristo is done well, but unfortunately falls into a snag in regards to how lengthy the actual tale is. I don’t think the manga did an exceptional job at piecing the vast array of events together. It is a difficult task to determine which pieces to rush through and which to actually portray within illustrations, and unfortunately the various portions of the tale that were skimmed in favor of having a shorter book were a great loss to the graphic novel as a whole.

All in all, the graphic novel certainly holds true to the general story, but I was less impressed by the quick summarized pieces and felt that they took away a lot of what I would have liked to see in the novel. Perhaps this should have been built into a longer book or perhaps it should have been published in multiple parts, but I simply did not get enough of the story that I loved out of this.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was honestly... meh? I was never even a fan of the original work, but I was intrigued to see how it would be turned into a graphic novel and I was just... disappointed because it is still boring.

However, I did appreciate the art style and well check out more things from this author!
I LOVED IT! I've read the German translation of the original a few years back and The Count of Monte Christo is one of my favorite classics if all time.
Of course the manga classic edition can't possibly cover every single detail and plotline, but it's worth it nonetheless.
The art is beautiful, the dialogue appropriate for a classic retelling and I'd recommend this to all manga fans, who want to read more classics or to people with an open mind that feel a bit intimidated by the size of the original book.
I found that there are more manga classics coming out and I'm thinking about starting to collect them.
I lost interest in reading it. The illustrations weren't very special and the story was adapted too simplistically. It might appeal to those who are new to Dumas' story, though.
The Count of Monte Cristo is an interesting graphic novel, full of beautiful illustrations. I loved this Manga adaptation and thought it was quite impressive. I enjoyed the plot and the dynamic characters. I really liked the style of the illustrations of this book, which I think complimented the story well.
I received this ARC from NetGalley and Udon Entertainment in exchange for an honest review