Cover Image: Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

A great adaptation of one of my childhood favorites. The artwork is beautiful and it is one of my favourites from Udon Entertainment so far, highly recommended and definitely check out their other works.
This is a beautiful retelling of the classic tale. I have always loved The Count of Monte Cristo and this retelling is a great and fun version.
A very good retelling of this classic tale in a manga format.  It is beautifully illustrated.  The story is condensed enough that the essence of the story is maintained.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of those classics I'd been meaning to read forever, but never seemed to get around to. When I saw it was available as one of the Manga Classics re-imaginings, I was pretty excited, as these renditions always make the classics a little easier for me to get through; they tell the same story in a condensed version, and the art is always so lovely and fun to read through.

Thankfully, this was no exception, and was actually one of my favorites yet as far as the artwork went! The Count himself is drawn in that classic style of the handsome hero you'd expect to see in a shoujo manga, which was really fun, even if it does kind of disregard his age. I kept forgetting that he'd be in his 40s or 50s by the time the bulk of the story takes place... but either way, it was a really enjoyable way to read the story and I can see how The Count of Monte Cristo would've taken people by storm at the time with its morally grey protagonist and vengeance-filled plot.
Another classic adapted for a more modern audience. I love the tale of the Count of Monte Cristo. It's a classic tale of despair and getting your desired revenge. The original book for this is huge, so it is understandable why the Manga Classics team had to tweak the tale. But I do not think, that any the of the main story, plot and twists had been forgotten. Once again would really recommend to all, who wish to read a classic but with modern and different take.
While the illustrations here were nicely done, the story just wasn’t very interesting to me. Fans of the original would probably like this manga, though.
I love reading classic in manga, even more being very well adapted.
I'm very fond of this publisher for launching their manga so carefully. With The Count of Monte Cristo it was no different, all the drama, all the thirst for revenge was very well transmitted through delicate and strong graphics.
All characterization of the characters was very well done and made me fall in love with Dante, his conflicts and anguish.
The way he went step by step conquering his victories and in the end how he perceived the feeling that remained after all was perfect.
I always like to read the considerations of the one who creates the adaptation, their research and how they create every detail.
I loved the cover and loved the moments when Dante appears surrounded by feathers.
I love Manga Classics!  These are excellent retellings of classic novels.  The artwork is beautiful, the pacing is perfect.  While I would never suggest substituting the manga for the actual book, I cannot recommend these more highly for reluctant readers, especially those who are reluctant to read the classics.  I have said so many times that the classics get a bad rap for being boring.  This series proves that is not true.

I think this might be my favorite Manga Classic so far.  The story is positively chilling, and the beautiful artwork really draws the reader into the experience.  The tale of Edmond Dantes is a disturbing one, and the Count presents a very complicated figure.  Nokman Poon's character designs really brought him to life, and turned a mysterious figure into a handsome, tragic, and very dangerous force.

Such an excellent book!  If this doesn't make you want to read Dumas' masterpiece, I don't know what will!
I received a digital edition of the Manga Classics The Count of Monte Cristo from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. This is a classic novel, but one that I didn't know much about. I used this adaptation as a sort of toe-in-the-water to see if I would be interested in the novel by Alexandre Dumas. I didn't know what to expect, but I absolutely loved it. The story itself is a classic and satisfying revenge story; the count is wrongly imprisoned as a young man, and, after a daring escape from the dungeon, punishes those who betrayed him. It's a gripping read and I loved every part of it; the vengeance was quite satisfying. The adaptation itself was great, the framing and illustrations added a lot to the story, and I supremely enjoyed it. The story has so many layers that were represented by this adaptation, and it have left me wanting to read the novel itself. I'm quickly falling in love with this series.
As always, I was thrilled with this book!
I've enjoyed several of the Manga Classics series thanks to Netgalley, but this one is an easy favorite because the Count of Monte Cristo is a long time favorite of mine (the best classic of all time? probably).
The art was great and it did an excellent job of telling the story and condensing it into a shorter, easier to swallow tale without sacrificing any of the story.
I am starting to really love the Manga Classics adaptations. I have not read the original version of The Count of Monte Cristo, so I cannot speak for how close to the original it is, however, I can say that reading the manga has definitely convinced me to read it at my earliest convenience. The artwork in this book is excellent, as I have come to expect from the manga classics books, and the story remains easy to follow and well pace, even though it has obviously been considerably reduced in size when compared to the original. Definitely worth a read.
I’ve been a fan of The Count of Monte Cristo for an incredibly long time, so naturally upon seeing that there was a manga version of the story I needed to read it. After having followed this story in a number of its many various forms, I’m pretty well acquainted with the story itself. This manga version follows the tale quite well, hitting all of the important and key points. A man, wrongfully imprisoned for treason at the desires of villains who seek to improve their own ends by removing him from the picture, Edmond Dantes uses the treasure of Sparta to bring about his revenge.

Truly a wonderful story for a variety of reasons, The Count of Monte Cristo is filled with cruel plots and exquisitely planned revenge. I’ve always found this to be a deeply captivating story, though I will admit that I’ve always loved the 2002 film version the best. As a manga, The Count of Monte Cristo is done well, but unfortunately falls into a snag in regards to how lengthy the actual tale is. I don’t think the manga did an exceptional job at piecing the vast array of events together. It is a difficult task to determine which pieces to rush through and which to actually portray within illustrations, and unfortunately the various portions of the tale that were skimmed in favor of having a shorter book were a great loss to the graphic novel as a whole.

All in all, the graphic novel certainly holds true to the general story, but I was less impressed by the quick summarized pieces and felt that they took away a lot of what I would have liked to see in the novel. Perhaps this should have been built into a longer book or perhaps it should have been published in multiple parts, but I simply did not get enough of the story that I loved out of this.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was honestly... meh? I was never even a fan of the original work, but I was intrigued to see how it would be turned into a graphic novel and I was just... disappointed because it is still boring.

However, I did appreciate the art style and well check out more things from this author!
I LOVED IT! I've read the German translation of the original a few years back and The Count of Monte Christo is one of my favorite classics if all time.
Of course the manga classic edition can't possibly cover every single detail and plotline, but it's worth it nonetheless.
The art is beautiful, the dialogue appropriate for a classic retelling and I'd recommend this to all manga fans, who want to read more classics or to people with an open mind that feel a bit intimidated by the size of the original book.
I found that there are more manga classics coming out and I'm thinking about starting to collect them.
I lost interest in reading it. The illustrations weren't very special and the story was adapted too simplistically. It might appeal to those who are new to Dumas' story, though.
The Count of Monte Cristo is an interesting graphic novel, full of beautiful illustrations. I loved this Manga adaptation and thought it was quite impressive. I enjoyed the plot and the dynamic characters. I really liked the style of the illustrations of this book, which I think complimented the story well.
I received this ARC from NetGalley and Udon Entertainment in exchange for an honest review
"My kingdom is bounded only by the world, I adopt all customs, speak all languages. I have but two adversaries, distance and time. Only death can stop me. God is there but not one above me."

I didn’t like this manga as much as the others from the same publisher. Why? I loved Les Miserables and Romeo and Juliet, I also loved Edgar Allan Poe's stories. Why then did not this excite me?

It had a great start, seeing the wonder of the drawings. The problem perhaps lies in the fact that a lot of information occupies the quadrants of the pages, while the drawings are lost in the background. I had a hard time reading all that informations together, while my eyes did not look at the drawings. In my opinion a manga should have more drawings and less written parts, just because in the manga the images are fundamental to make the story go forward. Here, however, there are too many written parts that slowed down reading and therefore enjoying the story.

I know it is impossible to make a satisfactory summary of the Count of Monte Cristo, but perhaps you could use many more pages, or remove some more marginal story lines.
The drawings are very beautiful, but they are few compared to the written parts, which weigh down the reading. Of course, the story is always beautiful and exciting, especially if you already know it. It's just that I was a little disappointed, I expected more action, but everything was rather slow.

Maybe you could read this book before tackling the giant book by Dumas.
First of, I'd like to say that I haven't read the novel yet,  though I already saw the movie, which lead me to this manga. So I cant quite comment on the accuracy. However, I did enjoy reading this very much, making my reading of the classic swift and graphic which is really helpful. It was concise and easily undetstood. I was hooked to it from page one and read it in one sitting.
If your quite intimidated by classic literature I suggest start reading this and work your self up to the actual novel..
Great adaption of the novel "The Count of Monte Cristo!" I was immersed from start to finish! The only thing that confused me was the large cast of characters, but that didn't deter me from enjoying the story.
This manga adaptation was my first reading of The Count of Monte Cristo. I know the general idea of the story, one of massive revenge (the Simpsons did a small skit on it at one point), but I have never read the book (I’m sure there is also a film adaptation I have not seen either). But I swear the book is on my list of classics I need to read. It is no surprise that I am obsessed with manga, so when I found this on NetGalley, I was in heaven and was desperate for a copy!

My review is not necessarily going to be on the story itself because Alexandre Dumas wrote it ages upon ages ago, but I will mention my thoughts on it before getting to the artwork and this adaptation!

The Count of Monte Cristo blew my mind and immediately made me wish I had read the story beforehand. Although life seems to be going great for Edmond Dantés, bitter acquaintances of his decide to change the luck Edmond seems to have consistently. Thrown into jail before his wedding, Edmond suffers nearly twenty years wondering how and why he is thought to be a traitor to crown and country. Edmond meets the man in the cell beside him and begins to concoct a plan of revenge. And damn, did Edmond do a hell of a good job at planning every single detail upon breaking out of jail. Just when I thought that things were working against him, Edmond surprised me when it turned out he knew exactly what was going on. I loved it! The story had me turning pages like crazy, dying to know what would happen to Edmond or those he enacted revenge upon. As for the ending, I was pleasantly surprised at how everything came together. There was a moment where I was beginning to wonder about things . . .

This was my first manga classic adaptation (I first noticed Pride and Prejudice on Amazon a while back and wanted to get hold of that. If only I had known to get on NetGalley!) Everything about this version was perfect. The illustrations were precisely what I had hoped they would be, beautifully representing these characters. I am sure the original novel is quite large, but the illustrator and plotter did a fantastic job of keeping the action going without detracting from the story. There are some portions where they have explained something happening/that had happened without illustrating it, but the moments/scenes chosen to be cut out and stripped to only a breakdown of what happened helped keep the book flowing.

My only gripe was that the pages were a little pixel-ly, but there could have been a glitch or something when transferring it into a digital format (did I mention this was my first e-Copy of a manga? It was so trippy!). But I won’t ding any stars for that because I am sure the paperback copy looks great. I have this on my wish-list of books I need to buy. I enjoyed it and cannot wait to read the others I was accepted for, along with finally getting a copy of Pride and Prejudice. I bet it is just as amazing!