Surprise Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

I am not sure that anything from Kinsella will top My Not So Perfect Life for me. I didn’t love this  book. I mean, the whole premise is that the characters find out they are going to get 68 more years together, that is awesome news! When you get married, don’t you go into it expecting to spend the rest of your lives growing old together??? That is sort of the point. So I just don’t get the whole freak out over living another 68 years together. I got really bored reading this book, and it took me a month to finish. I am going to be completely honest…I skipped over about 30% of the book and didn’t even miss anything.

Bottom Line: There really isn’t anything special about this book. I didn’t mind the ending, and can appreciate that the characters grew and changed…but I was bored most of this book and couldn’t wait to just be done with it. So I can’t really recommend it.

**I received a copy of Surprise me from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are of my own.””
My review has been posted to Goodreads.

Review has also been tweeted as usual.

Thank you! :c)
This was just an okay read that I couldn't bring myself to finish. Thanks NetGalley for giving me a look.
Just as wonderful as her other books, I loved this story. It was funny, sweet, and just what I needed for a beach read.
Standard Sophie Kinsella: a bubbly, fun book that doesn't require a whole lot of brain matter. I forgot the plot of the book almost immediately after I finished reading it. Perfect popcorn reading.
I always enjoy books by Sophie Kinsella. While they are somewhat formulaic in nature, they're the perfect escape if I don't have a lot of time or energy in to focusing on a story. The perfect summer or beach read.
Please see my notes to publisher for my thoughts on this title. Thank you so much for approving me for a copy of this book!
This wasn't good, not at all. It was choppy and didn't read well. The characters were crazy in an totally unrelatable story. I love Sophie Kinsella too - I have enjoyed all of her books but this one didn't do it for me.
Sophie Kinsella does not disappoint with this newest novel.  I have become more of a fan of her non-"shopaholic" books.  This book is both comedic and serious and I enjoyed how the characters developed.  Sometimes those rose colored glasses need a good cleaning.
Loved it!! Kinsella never fails to deliver a fast paced funny and at times poignant read! A bit different from her other work, and this brings a freshness to the writing that is most welcome.
This book reminds me of the old saying"Be careful what you wish for". This book was an ok read. I had to force myself to finish this book. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book. Although I received the book in this manner, it did not effect my opinion of this book nor my review.
This is a great book. I have loved many of Sophie Kinsella's books and this is not a disappointment. While I did enjoy this book, I felt the beginning was a little slow. Once I got past that, I flew through the rest. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends!
Funny romance about a couple who is looking for a way to spice up their marriage after many years and two kids. I found this book to be light hearted and wonderful for a beach read! I enjoyed the silly hijinx and the way the couple dealt with their problems.
This book ended up  being a different book than I thought it would be. It started out as I'd expected ~ couple tries to bring some excitement into their predictable lives ~ and then it took a different turn on the home stretch. It was a fairly quick read and I enjoyed it, especially the last part.
I like Sophie Kinsella, but this book fell flat for me. She may have tried something different with her writing style, but it didn't go as quickly as I'd have liked it to.
This was a cute read.  I felt like I could relate to Sylvie, having been married for over 10 years and having small children.  You want to keep that marriage alive and marriage isn't easy.  I'm happy for a chance to have read this!
What would you do if your doctor told you there are 68 years left in your marriage, since your husband and you are in such good shape? Would you be bowed down by the years to come, or embrace the opportunity? This is the central question of Surprise Me- but the real question is how do we grow up despite ourselves, when inertia is so strong. I found this sweet and charming and funny. The narrator was a bit tough for me to take at first, but she grew on me- as Sophie herself grew up. I liked this treatment of marriage as a continual shift of knowledge- and would like to read more novels by Kinsella!
I've been on a roll lately trying to get caught up on some reading and reviewing through my blogging association with NetGalley. While I was very familiar with today's author, Sophie Kinsella, I have only read her books in the Shopaholic series, so I wasn't sure exactly how much I would enjoy Surprise Me, since it wasn't in the series that I know.

This story deals with Sylvie and Dan who have adorable twin girls and are about to celebrate "ten years" together.  When their Doctor Bamford happily announces they could have another 68 years of married life together, Sylvie and Dan realize they will need to keep their relationship fresh and alive to last together that long.  They realize that they will need to do something radical, so they try to surprise each other.

In all honesty, the book is a humorous view of what a couple feels when their relationship becomes mundane and predictable.  While there were a few moments of seriousness, most of the book was light.  The characters were all well written and well developed and the book did me interested throughout.

This was an entertaining book about marriage and making the journey exciting and fun.  I think Surprise Me is a great, fun and light beach read for anyone!

I received an advanced readers digital copy of this book from NetGalley and Random House in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to provide a positive review but I chose to because it was a great book!! Thank you NetGalley!
3.5 stars.

I'm generally a big fan of Sophie Kinsella's books. And this one was good, make no mistake; it just wasn't my favorite of hers. At parts, as I was laughing out loud, howling with laughter; at other points, it's actually very serious and even a bit dark.

Sylvie and Dan are happily married, if in a little bit of a rut. But when their doctor suggests they may have 68 more years of wedded bliss ahead of them, they decide to shake things up by surprising each other. However, as can be the case with surprises, sometimes things are revealed that make you question everything.

This book had some of the great "I Love Lucy"-type moments that Kinsella is so good at writing. I was howling with laughter at some parts. But like I said, toward the end things get very serious. Which is a nice blend, because it gives balance to the book and makes you think.

But I can't say that there was anything super surprising or twisty in the plot, which made it kind of predictable, ironically. I didn't guess the exact details, but I got the general outline. The characters were also a little predictable.

But I liked their growth in the end of the novel. They didn't stay stagnant like so many characters can, and that's good.

Like I said, if you enjoy Sophie Kinsella's work, you'll also like this one. It's funny, a quick read and features delightful characters, although they may be predictable. But for brand new readers, maybe start with a different standalone and work your way into this one.
I always love Sophie Kinsella and this one was just as good! I cannot wait for her next story! It was cute and light and as enjoyable as ever