Educated

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2018

I loved this book. It was written clearly and was easy to follow--great editing. I was surprised at how long it took the author to see her family for what it was. I hope in the future that she will figure out to deal with them. Someone said her dilemma was between living for herself or her family. I feel it was deciding to leave her family's dysfunction behind and not let it control her. I think she is still struggling mightily, and that sometimes made me inpatient with her, but we cannot truly understand other people's lives and why is it hard to give some things up. Her book is honest and showed a life in progress, but it gave me insight into other people's...

See Full Review
This is an incredible memoir and very heartbreaking. It’s hard to believe that families like this exist outside the system. I felt it was very similar to The Glass Castle, in the sense both authors overcame difficult childhoods and became very successful academically and professionally.
I found the subject matter of this memoir difficult to read and contemplate at certain times in the reading of it. Overall, I found the story to be inspiring and even though her life was not what she would have wanted for herself at the beginning, she was able to change her course.
This was phenomenal. As someone who is still trying to ease her way into non-fiction, this was the perfect selection. A compelling, thought-provoking, engaging, and at times a horrifying story. It's a powerful book, at times very difficult to read, but at the same time, I could not put it down because I had to keep reading.

Note: I received this book from the author/publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very interesting and intriguing story and I didn't dislike it. I just wasn't as enamored with the book as a whole as everyone else seems to be. The premise of the book is set forth as such: a young girl is raised in a survivalist family without any formal schooling and goes on to get a PhD from Cambridge. Which is true but it's not the full story. The story twists and turns through Westover's childhood in a truly chaotic and unstable home. Her father has some sort of mental illness that leads to feelings of deep paranoia and feelings of...

See Full Review
Wow! I'm not generally a non fiction reader but enough people raved about this that I had to check it out.
It was so well done. Difficult to read at some points (because of the subject matter, not the writing) but simultaneously impossible to put down.

As a lifelong bibliophile, the idea of NOT learning. Not having an education. It's unfathomable to me. So this was definitely a glimpse into a world that is entirely different from my own. Which is really what I want when choosing a memoir to read.

I can't help but admire and respect everything Tara Westover has been through in her difficult life. I am so grateful to have received a copy of Educated from NetGalley and Random House so I could join my book - loving friends on the bandwagon for this book. I am there, but sort of on the ledge, one foot on and one foot unsure of where to land.

The book felt repetitive and on the long side; and I know that some things that happened to her happened repeatedly, which is what made her early life so awful, so I should appreciate the many recounts and not be critical. Also, I should judge memoirs differently than the novels I usually read, where one can wish for a certain...

See Full Review

All the stars in the Idaho Sky! Tara Westover is so very brave. And her book is hands-down, 5+ stars amazing. This is by far the most riveting memoir I've ever read. I am so fascinated by cult-like religions, as well as homesteaders/survivalists and end-of-the-world preppers - and this quenched every thirst I've ever had for all those things and infinitely beyond. This was the extreme of both of those worlds. I cannot believe this is real life. The epitome of "you can't make this sh*t up," I imagine those words running through Tara's head often.

This is a story of growing up in middle-of-nowhere Idaho with Mormon anti-government parents, who...

See Full Review

I received a digital ARC of this book from Random House on NetGalley. I’m grateful to Random House for their generosity and, because I was fascinated by this book, was happy to post this honest review. All opinions are my own.

I started Educated as part of a buddy-read with Rachel of Reading Brings Joy, thinking I was behind because everyone else had already started. And then I finished the book approximately thirty-six hours later, pausing only to sleep and fulfill my dog-walking duties at the Humane Society. Had I been reading this during the week, I might have called in sick to finish.

Synopsis
Tara Westover grew up off the grid in Idaho, raised by survivalist parents whose distrust...

See Full Review
What a inspiration. Anyone who is a scholar, educator, or believes in the education. Will be amazed how this little girl had no education. To get out of the house. Her brother, Tyler told her to self teach herself for the tests. She did it. But, what obstacles at home to get through.

From her religious Mormon faith. Her father believing the government is evil. Didn't believe in medical help when several accidents occurred. Her brother trying to kill her. -Think of Ruby Ridge. She still earned her PHD at Cambridge. I was rooting for her all the way. While I was reading, Educated.

I recommend it highly. As I'm reading. It is playing as a movie through my head. (less)

It is astonishing that Tara Westover even survived her childhood. The fact that she has made remarkable academic achievements is even more astonishing given the abuse she was subjected to and the manner in which her parents raised her.

It's hard to believe that there are actually people in the United States that live their lives the way Westover's survivalist Mormon parents do. The fact that Westover was able to overcome the obstacles placed in front of her, realize what her family had done to her, and not be bitter is admirable. She is able to love her family, understand why they live the way they do, and rise above it anyway.

Westover has a truly amazing story to tell and...

See Full Review
This was a very interesting book to read. It was a good book in the sense she shared her story that was very moving and a story that I am thankful she told. Th author definitely had a difficult childhood and somehow found a way to heal and remove her self from the only life she knew. Powerful memoir as the authors exhibits strength in overcoming her past. I think somewhere inside she still struggles but has found a way to live a new life. Worth reading. Fast read.

“My strongest memory is not a memory. It’s something I imagined, then came to remember as if it had happened.”
This is not an easy book to read and it is not an easy book to attempt to describe. As much as Educated is a story of a young woman emancipating herself through education and exploration of the world, it is also an exploration of abuse, loss, and grief. Tara Westover grew up in a Mormon survivalist family and was not officially registered as being born until she was, what she believes to be, nine years old. Her father’s understanding of the world was her reality. Woven between stories of accidents, avoidance of medical care, and preparing for the end of the world, is a story of...

See Full Review
Recommended this book to my book club. It was pointed out to me that it is on the New York Times Bestseller List.
The story and background were told so vividly, I felt as though I was right there with her. Initially, I couldn't believe any parents could behave this way. As the story unfolds, I really got to know these 2 people and I came to appreciate why they were the way they were.
The different directions the siblings chose, and how each one got there, could have been better developed. I felt that I knew some of her siblings    better than others. But, perhaps that accurately reflects the author's relationships.
Book bears a resemblance to "The Glass Castle".
Wow!  Incredible story.  What a reminding eye-opener to the way some people live/think in the not distant past.  Hallelujah to  Ms. Westover for breaking out and rising above her upbringing so beautifully and successfully.  This is a must read for anyone who has self-doubt, loses faith in the world or people and inspires us to keep dreaming, keep doing and always believe in better.

I absolutely tore through this book. Tara Westover does a magnificent job of recounting her life with grace, kindness and an enviable sense of determination in the face of impossible decisions. Coming from a background of collegiate writing causes even the most seasoned authors to struggle with dry, scientific-like writing but this book perfectly blends together objectiveness of a historian with the emotion of growing up in a turbulent family.

I also appreciate that the author drew a line in the sand early - this is not about fundamental Mormonism, it's about family - and she stuck to it. It would have been so easy to lean on that as a mechanism for the book, but I think it was so...

See Full Review
Tara Westover, you're a courageous lady to not only write(and re-live) the struggles of your life, but to publish it for the wide world- that takes real guts. My hats off to you because that cannot be easy for you or any other memoir writer. I felt it hard to read your story, often having to take breaks over the last two days to digest the contents, to connect with you was difficult, but I had to ultimately remind myself that this was your story, your truth, and if it provides you with some understanding or acceptance of what happened then I hope this book is only the start of a healing process. One that I know is a long road.
A beautiful powerful story of a girl who came from nothing and turned it into something. An absolute beautiful read. Even before I read this I have heard nothing but positive reviews on this book so I thought I might as well give it a try and I am very happy I did. Heartbreaking and delightful.

This memoir is so many things. It's horrifying and disturbing and haunting, but it's also moving and unforgettable and so very brave. Tara Westover was raised by dangerous and delusional religious fanatics who refused to let her attend school or access medical care, prepared constantly for the end of the world, and built a home rife with physical and emotional abuse. Despite it all, Westover managed to escape the tyranny of her father and receive a PhD from Cambridge. This book is painful to read, but the story she tells about questioning her own upbringing and finding her own truth is breathtaking. She shows a level of reflection and self-awareness that is remarkable given the...

See Full Review

*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Random House Publishing Group and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Review: Tara Westover endured abuse all of her life. Extreme manipulation. Her family thrived off of it. At times, Educated was unbearable to read and hard to comprehend that someone out there, is living the way she did. So many times I wanted to jump into this story, and help her, mold her, encourage her to realize her potential, realize that this fight was not hers to battle. I wanted to tell her to walk away and never return.

Family ties and mental health awareness is prevalent in this story and we get a glimpse of how...