Growing in God's Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

My husband and I have many children's story bibles, so we have heard these stories over and over. Even from our own study of the word and growing up hearing them. The stories for us never get old and we want to share those stories with our child. My favorite part is the different forms the stories take because the author's use of different language and what they decide to add and what they decide to take out. Lastly, the illustrations are a fun addition because it helps you visualize the story that is being told to you. I think as a child, that is always a must.
#growingingodslove #Netgalley
I hate to give this children's story Bible a bad review, but I couldn't make it past 6 stories.  The Word of God is infallible and authoritative, so when the authors talk about how "every people group has a creation story" or "every people group has a flood story" you are denigrating the Word of God.  Creation isn't "a" creation story, it's THE creation story.  The only real one.  Noah and the flood isn't "a" flood narrative, it's THE flood narrative.  The authors also spoke about how God created animals to help the "farmer" that He had created.  That's not in the Bible at all.  I have to take a hard pass on this children's story Bible...there are MUCH better ones out there that stay true to God's Word and glorify Him through their simplifications for children.
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
I torn. I understand it broken down for little kids however, I don't know if I would change the world of God... Oh wait yes I do and NO I wouldn't... I understand as I said to make it easier but theres parts of this that I just don't feel follow suit at all.
I love this children's bible! The pictures are beautiful, the colors and extremely rich and eye catching to keep children attention! The stories are perfect for all ages and the text is easy to understand for younger children! The stories are not to long, and are well written to keep children engaged and listening. I love that the bible stories are well organized so if i am wanting to read a certain thing to my children its easy to find! Some of the themes include strong women (which is great since I have all daughters), healing, strong men, and listening for God. This is a great book to help lay down the Christian Foundation for your children. I love this book. It was given to me by the publishers for free from netgalley in exchange for my review.
Growing in God's Love: A Story Bible by Elizabeth F. Caldwell; Carol A. Wehrheim is an illustrated book that pays attention to quality and detail. While it says it is a book that children can read, I believe it should be read to children.  I am impressed with this book, the wording, and I like how it is designed to be interactive between adult and child with three simple questions at the end of each story.

Most of the stories are between one and two pages counting the illustrations and three questions and start at the beginning of the Bible in Genesis and through the old testament and then into the new testament. The verse location in the Bible is given under the story title.

The author did a great job of covering Bible topics in a way that children can understand but in a way that adults can gain a blessing as well.

I received an ARC from Westminster John Knox Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
found that I struggled with this and it was on the one Chapter of Where Does God Live? Let me quote.

THE BIBLE TELL US THAT GOD HAS MANY HOMES AND CAN BE FOUND IN MANY PLACES, OFTEN WHERE WE LEAST EXPECT. GOD IS FOUND IN THE BEAUTY AND MANGNIFICENT OF NATURE, IN THUNDER, IN FIRE AND BUSHES, IN THE WIND AND IN A PEACEFUL DOVE. JESUS OFTEN TRAVELED INTO THE WILDERNESS TO LISTEN FOR GOD'S VOICE. HE KNEW THAT GOD COULD BE FOUND IN NATURE. ...THE BIBLE ALSO GIVES TO WHERE GOD MIGHT BE FOUND, BREATH, LIGHT, MOTHER, FATHER, WATER , BREAD OF LIFE.

The following is a the definition of Pantheism is the belief that the Universe (or Nature as the totality of everything) is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

I also found that the Old did not reveal New. What I mean by that is that Jesus was not shown in the Old Testament. I appreciate especially in children's books when the Old Testament is made alive and you can begin to see the tie between the Old and the new and that is Jesus and the Gospel. Also you cannot have the gospel without speaking on repentance and what repentance means. A turning away from sin and to the work of Christ. Little ones can learn this and need to learn this so that their faith maybe a strong foundation.

Now to end my review with the positive. The book did comprise of many events of the bible and each chapter ended with What you hear? What you See? How you can Act? This is a book would go well with a family devotion so that all insights maybe shared.

Is this one I would give to my own grandchildren? No. Is it one that be used to share God's love and to become familiar with the bible narrative. Yes

A Special Thank You to Westminster John Knox Press and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Very cute and I love the illustrations, but nothing particularly "special". My little guy wasn't all that engaged with it, other than liking the cover. That said, it seems biblically sound, which is truly important!
The book is cute for children, but i do not see anything special, different from the other children books
Your little one will enjoy Bible story time with this book. Read it to your own little ones or use it in class at your church. You won't be disappointed and neither will they.
This book is perfect to read with my younger Sunday school, the pictures will particularly appeal to them.