Cover Image: The Dark Beneath the Ice

The Dark Beneath the Ice

Marianne’s life is falling apart.
Ever since she quit dance, her best friend has moved away to San Francisco, her parents have split up, and her mom has checked herself into the hospital. And that isn’t the worst part… Marianne is beginning to lose track of time and a strange presence waits for her in the dark.
Even though I am Canadian, I don’t tend to read many books by Canadian authors. After reading The Dark Beneath the Ice, a young adult novel written by a Canadian author that takes place in Canada (Ottawa to be exact), this book was a breath of fresh air I didn’t know I needed. It’s sort of an inexplicable feeling to read a book by an author from your own country.
Usually, I don’t tend to read too many young adult horror or thriller novels. They’re mostly predictable and the romance overshadows the entire premise. The Dark Beneath the Ice blew me away by how original the story was. I couldn’t read fast enough. My eyes were darting across the page and I wanted so desperately to know what was going on with Marianne! Even until the last twenty pages, I still hadn’t predicted the ending.
In spite of The Dark Beneath the Ice being a horror story, the way the author wrote about the separation between Marianne’s parents really hit home with me. Most novels tend to gloss over divorce and separation and its effects on the child. Usually, divorce and separation is used as a plot device and is not the main focus, but in this novel, I could see myself in Marianne’s experience.
I would recommend The Dark Beneath the Ice to those who are looking for a young adult horror novel that is super unique and will keep you guessing until the very end.
There were some really cool aspects to the story, and all the intense scary moments were perfect and kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. Unfortunately, the ending was a big let down that didn't even really make sense and kind of caused me to disconnect from the story. I am sure that others will like the direction the book took and I recommend this for anyone who likes horror stories with lots of emotional twists.
The Dark Beneath the Ice reminded me of the Upside Down in Stranger Things meets Black Swan meets Paranormal Activity. It was dark, creepy, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time!
3 stars

I so love an unreliable narrator and this book pulled it off well. The blurb said paranormal activity meets black swan and I can see why but to claim that the book needed to be much stronger. It wasn’t very scary to me. The ending felt rushed as well.

(Sorry for the late review I’m finally getting through my backlog of books I’ve read)
"It's not just that her parents have split up, or that life hasn't been the same since she quit dancing. Or even that her mother has checked herself into the hospital."

I'm a GINORMOUS fan of horror, ghost stories, and spooky stuff. So I was very  excited to pick up this book, and overall, it was a awesome read! I really enjoyed the book, it was well written and a great read!
Good story and written well. I enjoyed this one very much.

Received from Netgalley for an honest review.
Marianne has had a normal life for the most part. Until her parents split up things were great. Now weird things seem to be happening to her. Even when she's forced to stay with her aunt while her mother tries to heal from the split, the weird events follow her and only get worse as time goes on.

When someone offers to help try and get rid of the madness, Marianne jumps at the chance. She will give anything to feel normal again. Things don't go as planned though and Marianne ends up in a race to save her life.

A spooky and thrilling story.
No major flaws here, and a solid character and twisted story progression was to be found, this was purely a case of expectations too highly placed and this particular story being not exactly suited for my tastes.
THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees objects literally break around her, and more. This story asks questions like: what does it mean to be possessed, how much can you trust yourself, and what really is fear? What I most appreciate about THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is how it handles mental health concerns. Too often, the 'losing my mind' trope veers into harmful ableist territory, but I felt Marianne's journey is a respectful balance of real world concerns and supernatural force.

I also love the slow burn f/f romance. Going in, I didn't know there would be any romance at all, and I was so pleased at how Marianne and Rhiannon develop organically and sweetly.

While I wouldn't have minded a few more scares, my favorite aspect of THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is the lyrical writing. Bérubé has a way of drawing you in with a lovely flow to the sentences that still manage a sharp edge.

Overall, YA horror readers will love THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE for the twisted premise, side of romance, and solid opportunity for chills down the spine.
This book was not what I was expecting, I must not have thoroughly read the description. I have chosen not to read it.
I wanted to LOVE this book.. Black Swan meets Paranormal activity had me sold. But it missed the mark for me. I wanted so much more out of this story or maybe I just wanted things to slow down and provide more detail or more time for me to experience what Marianne was going through.
Unfortunately this book didn’t appeal to me after I picked it up. I’m sure it will be well loved by others, however.
I started this book and I wasn't able to finish. Honestly I got lost after a couple chapters. The characters did not captivate me at all.
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
I originally gave this 4 stars but had to rethink about that rating, which resulted in the new rating of 3 stars.

I really enjoyed reading this novel and it had such an interesting concept. But I was also generally confused on the entirety of the story. About 85% of the time I didn't even know what was going on and it seriously was heartbreaking as I wanted to know more.

The story and characters lacked depth, background and even development. But all in all, the concept the author was going for was very interesting and I will be rereading.
The Dark Beneath the Ice by Amelinda Bérubé The Dark Beneath the Ice is blurbed as Black Swan meets Paranormal Activity, and honestly, I think that’s about accurate. I have to do a full disclaimer I do not often read young adult books and found that the cover really caught my attention that I had to give it a chance, I found the writing style rather poetic and it made it easy to follow. This is one of those spooky stories you should pick up on Halloween. While the blurb is correct in the two-movie comparison it is on a much tamer scale then I expected. Like I stayed in the beginning this was just not my cup of tea. I have recommended it to a few people that have found it enjoyable. Not bad for my first read by this author may continue with her work in the future.
This was creepy in the best way possible. An even darker Black Swan, if you will. It was wonderfully written, intense, and suspenseful and I liked it so much.

Thank you to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book tells the story of Marianne. She's given up a potential career in dance, her parents are getting divorced. She is basically having a terrible year. Her best friend has moved away, so she is kind of left to deal with everything on her own. She starts dealing with mysterious things occurring around her- time missing, visions of water, things moving around on their own. She befriends the local "misfit" who has a mother that deals with things of the paranormal nature, and she tries to help her. Ron and Marianne go on a journey together to try and figure out what exactly is happening with Marianne, and what is "following her". Overall I enjoyed the book- I found the ending to be unique in a sense, but I can't say I was completely satisfied with how they decided to end the story. I think it was an interesting read with lots of character development, I would definitely read more from this author in the future.
Ok, so reading YA is very rare for me. I am not sure why I chose to pick up this book - I guess I missed the YA part in the description - which sounded way awesome. And it was. Creepy, horrific, throw in some love, and something paranormal - really you have a wonderful couple hours ahead of you.
I love books like The Dark Beneath the Ice because if this was a movie, which would be an absolutely terrifying idea, I wouldn't be able to watch it. Seriously. This is just the kind of movie that would totally keep me awake for nights to come. But as a book, I was able to enjoy the thrills, the terror, and the eerieness. And The Dark Beneath the Ice delivers majorly. All while also delivering me an adorable f/f romance that had me making cute noises admist my terror. AND a story about family, with its problems, secrets, and trying moments.

There are so many reasons why me, my scaredy cat heart, really enjoyed The Dark Beneath the Ice:

The sapphic side plot was adorable. Like a freaking adorable. I don't like my terror with no brief glimpses of light, or sweeteness. So this was the perfect addition to this chilling story.
    The chills, the eerieness, all of it. This was just my kind of supernatural fear that I am here for. And I am a terrible wimp. And this book still wrung four stars out of my terrified heart.
    Water is almost a character of its own. Not only are there gorgeous water metaphors, but the water almost becomes its own entity. Delightfully dark.