The Hawkman

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2018

Gorgeous writing but felt as if two coming of age stories that didn’t meld or did but like Little Mermaid becoming a bubble. There is an audience for this, but not a staff pick.

*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an Honest Review*
*Also because it's an ARC my feedback may vary from its final feedback on its publishing date*

Let me first say that that cover looks very artful and enticing!! Also the description can help draw you to it, which you won't regret since this is a wonderfully written book with excellent prose that will mystify you.

Plot:
We follow a guy named Mr. Sheehan who is an Irish, homeless, Musician and we follow a woman named Ms. Williams who is an American School teacher.

Everyone in the town seems to believe that Mr. Sheehan is impure or dirty looking man because he's homeless and another trait to note...

See Full Review
i am still reading it! and the hawkman's past a.k.a. mr. sheehan seems interesting!

also, i love miss williams! she's a such a good, smart and talented lady!

This book, was [for me] honestly all over the place. At times a 2.5, other times a 3.5 verging on a 4-- for its originality (though in Source Material Notes, LaForge says was primarily inspired by a reading of the Grimm Brothers' fairytale, "The Bearskin." Full disclosure: not familiar with this story]. Most reviewers rated this more highly than I--could not.

As advertised: "A great war, a great love, and the mythology that unites them; The Hawkman: A Fairy Tale of the Great War is a lyrical adaptation of a beloved classic." Set in an English village, [Bridgetonne] in late 19th/early 20th century. An American schoolteacher [Eva] at a small college in the town, and...

See Full Review
First, I have to say the cover of this book is just gorgeous, and I can' deny it drew me to it. I thought the writing was really lovely, and the plot intriguing and unique. The story did occasionally wander a bit, but I didn't really mind. I am not usually into magical realism, but the lyrical language made this special. Recommended!

Thank you Amberjack Publishing and Netgalley for providing an advanced e-book copy for me to review. All opinions are my own.

The Hawkman is a retelling of the Grimm Brothers’ fairy tale “The Bearskin”

This fairy tale for adults is set in England after World War 1 - Michael Sheehan is an ex Prisoner Of War and suffers from PTSD. A vagabond and a scavenger he has quickly become the town's nuisance. His yellow eyes, calloused hands, and dirty appearance has earned him the nickname The Hawkman.

Eva Williams is an American school teacher who has taken a position at the local college employed by Lord Thornton. Lord Thornton wants the Hawkman out of his town but Eva Williams has ideas of...

See Full Review
What a great read! I was hooked from page one! Loved the book!

After the Great War Miss Williams, an American writer, comes to stay in a quaint English village where a tramp (The Hawkman) is outcast and abandoned. Miss Williams asks the man, Mr Sheehan, to come and stay with her but he is an outsider and so is she so how can the local gentry allow it? Then Miss Williams falls ill, and everything must change.

I found some of this novel beautifully written and very easy to read but unfortunately I also found that parts just meandered off into whimsy and nothingness and the story became confused and irrevocably lost.

I don't know the Grimm's tale that this story is based upon (at least I didn't recognise it), but actually I...

See Full Review

Unfortunately, the title of this novel will most likely keep it out of the hands of many readers. “The Hawkman” is far more likely to be associated with the DC Action Hero than with the protagonist of a literary novel, even if they have a shared background in fairytales and myths.

Title aside, The Hawkman is a memorable tale of love, loss; heartbreak, and tragedy, set against the turbulent backdrop of the early 20th century. World War 1, the “Great War,” decimated a generation of young men and left survivors maimed in body, spirit, and mind, struggling to find their place in a vastly changed world.

This is not a novel you can race though. Rosenberg frequently shifts character perspectives...

See Full Review
I loved reading the stories that Miss Williams wrote and learning more about Sheehan's past. The writing is very lyrical, which might be the main reason I did not love this as much as I wanted to. It might not be the best book for me, but I still enjoyed it quiet a bit.
An exquisite jewel of a book - and I don't use that phrase lightly. Yes, there is something of the fairy tale here, but there is also something vaguely magic realist. Yet this book somehow defies description (and thus partially defies reviews): it is also fiercely realist, steeped in the trauma of the trenches of World War 1. This is a very unique tale about love, healing, acceptance, and freedom.
The Hawkman is a lyrical magical realism story that blends historical fiction with fairytale retelling. As such, I thought it worked well. The prose is beautiful, and we get an interesting use of imagery and theme, particularly in relation to sound. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the past and present, and I liked reading of the growing relationship between the two protagonists. However, when I reached the end, I felt there had been something missing. I loved moments in the story, but it didn't quite form a cohesive whole. That said, it was still a delightful read and a creative retelling, and is well worth checking out if you enjoy adapted fairytales and magical realism.
From the first page the book draws you in with its enticing writing and description. The prologue alone invites you straight in to the story of mystery and intrigue. The book then follows a man who seemingly is more scavenger bird than human and it having an unexpected romance alongside it, usually pertains as a typical story, but as this unfurls you see it as a strange and wonderful thing.

The residents of post-WWI Bridgetonne, England, are unnerved by The Hawkman, the town’s most enigmatic indigent. This shabby, filthy recluse is harrassed by the local children and berated by the adults. He doesn’t speak, he bothers no one, and yet, the residents, especially Lord Thornton, want him out.

Miss Eva Williams, an American outsider, has taken a position at the local college under the employ of Lord Thornton. She is challenged by Thornton’s notion that the Hawkman should be gotten rid of in order to ensure the safety of the women of the college; however, her efforts are not what Lord Thornton intended. She shows compassion instead of contempt, and that causes quite an uproar in...

See Full Review

Set against the shattering events of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, at the tale’s heart are an American schoolteacher—dynamic and imaginative—and an Irish musician, homeless and hated—who have survived bloodshed, poverty, and sickness to be thrown together in an English village. Together they quietly hide from the world in a small cottage.

Too soon, reality shatters their serenity, and they must face the parochial community. Unbeknownst to all, a legend is in the making—one that will speak of courage and resilience amidst the...

See Full Review
THE HAWKMAN turned out to be a really good book. I enjoy books about psychological injuries during conflicts early in and prior to the 20th century.  I kind of got lost in the fairy tale portion of the story but I liked it anyway. If you enjoy historical fiction I think you should give this one a try.
3.5 Stars. From an E-galley. Interesting book, a “fairy tale of the Great War.” Set in England after WW1 when many men suffered from PTSD, this is a love story that weaves the pasts of two damaged people in their attempts to simply survive. This novel has some lovely prose and great ideas, but it actually lacked a cohesive feel that made it all come together. Some of the character developments and plot points felt forced and unbelievable to me.
"A fairy tale of The Great War" is a tagline that draws you in. Hawkman is the story of a man who returns to WWI with PTSD and meets an equally damaged woman. There are some absolutely great moments and beautiful prose. However I found myself getting bogged down at points. The story seemed a bit forced and I couldn't connect with the characters.

I don't know what took me so long to read this book because when I finally did get down to it today, I couldn't part with it, not even to take lunch!
It's a chronicle of Margaret's life. One minute she's with Chip, he's flying and proposing to her, the next they're crashing and she wakes up with third degree burns and with time learns that she's paralyzed. She goes from getting the dream job and man to never being able to walk, and learning that he's cheated on her with his ex.
I loved the fact that this is a family story. Maggie's sister, Kit, swoops in and she refuses to leave her sister's side inasmuch as she's being sent...

See Full Review

'Yet it was his eye, or both of them, that attracted the most notice and gossip- their unnerving brilliance. It was hungry and restless; and it earned him his nickname.'

In this fairytale for grownups, an American schoolteacher (spinster, nay old maid) Miss Eva Williams, falls under the spell of the Hawkman, Mr. Michael Evan Sheehan. Sheehan is suffering from the torments of the war, including his time of imprisonment. His vagabond ways have damned him as an outcast, and his yellowing, ‘hungry and restless’ eyes make him more birdlike than human. Mrs. Sheehan knows there is more to the man, tormented by children’s taunts, rocks and even attempts at poisoning. He is more than a...