How Hard Can It Be?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Jun 2018

When I requested this from Netgalley many moons ago, I didn't realize that it was part of a series. It works as a stand-alone, so worry not.

I wouldn't go out of my way to rave about this book, but it was a solid example of "mature" chick lit, with the protagonist approaching 50.

The first 2/3 of the book drag a bit, but the last third addresses a lot of the nagging things that I was wondering if Kate would notice. The ending left me satisfied with the resolution of everything. (Is that vague and non-spoilery enough for you?)

Eventually I'll probably go back and read the first book where we're introduced to Kate.
Even though this book was part of a series, I found it highly enjoyable. I didn't even realize it was a sequel and it was very well written. This novel was hilarious and relatable. I loved the ride!
I know this is a sequel but it worked really well as a standalone to me. It was your typical chick lit/adult fiction with lots of humour and situations i can relate to even if i'm younger than the main character. Sometimes all you need from a book is a blast from giggles and laughter and this book served it really well.
A look into the life of Kate Reddy, Mom, negotiator, wife and juggler of all things career and family.  This gives a larger than life view of what it is like to try to have it all when all you need is a nap.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
When I saw this on NetGalley, I didn’t realize it was the second book in a series. After I finished it, I realized, embarrassingly, the first one was already on my book shelf. To be fair, those shelves are awfully crowded with hundreds of my to-read books. I’ve read them both now, but out of order, and frankly, I’m glad I did. There was so much more I could relate to in this book. Despite the fact that I have worked continuously since the birth of my daughters, and my job was nothing like Kate Reddy’s, I could relate to juggling a modern workplace, the unending needs of teenagers, and finding the time to spend with spouse and aging parents.

Kate Reddy is a 50-year-old heroine (Yay!) struggling through all of this, all while remaking herself with a career reboot that is taking a little longer than expected. I was disappointed with the plotline where she denies her past to work again in the same company — this seemed entirely incredible — if she was going to start over anyway, why there? Aside from this, her husband is having a mid-life crisis, and her teenagers behave atrociously. I add this because it’s true, but also to admit I loved this because it made me feel much better about my own family! You will see most of the plot twists from a mile away, but the anticipation only adds to the satisfying resolution. I think Kate Reddy is my new superhero.

For Goodreads:

Why I picked it — Because I liked Pearson’s, I Think I Love You
Reminded me of… Bridget Jones for an older, (possibly menopausal) woman. At some point, I stopped reading those books, so maybe they covered this terrain too?
For my full review — click here
Funny and a great stand alone book, even though it's a sequel. As an also pushing-50 woman with teens (and older) re-entering the workforce - there were definitely parts where I both laughed and cried.
Follow up to I Don't Know How She Does It, set about ten years forward.  I liked this book which accurately described the difficulties of long term marriages without any sugar coating.  It wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first novel, as Kate is now trying to dig herself back into the workforce which is proving difficult given her somewhat older age.
Kate Reddy has returned and is just as funny as always! How Hard Can It Be? continues her story seven years later, and as always, it is easy to relate to Kate's predicaments (teenage children, menopause, a somewhat lovable but clueless husband, and struggling to juggle work, family life, and friends. Overall, this was an enjoyable read! I particularly liked Kate's willingness to admit that things have not gotten easier over the years.. Pearson approaches this character in such a way that you feel like you are catching up with an old friend. I highly recommend this book!
Absolutely loved her style of writing. This is my first book of hers, and am looking forward to more!
I recommend this on my blog Modern Mrs Darcy in a post called "17 books everyone will be talking about this summer"
As a woman of a certain age, I really wanted to read this book.  I hadn't realized it was a sequel and almost didn't read it but am so glad I did.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and found her struggles realistic and humorous.
I enjoyed this book, and Pearson's writing style is fabulous.  The characters are well written, and the plot is well crafted.
This was one of the books I had a chance to read during bouts of caring for my ailing Mom and what a godsend!  I’d often wondered how I will handle turning 50.  I always prided myself on viewing getting older as a chance to continue to be the woman I’d so carefully cultivated through the years.  But as I’ve gotten older, I laugh at how I have become so many of the things I swore I would never be - and I laugh even harder at the reality that I no longer care about all the things that were once so important to me.

Given all that, the antics and adventures  of Kate  approaching the big 5-0 are absolutely on point.  Everything she faces I could relate to and I questioned were it me how would I handle it?  The big bonus of “How Hard Can It Be” is how absolutely hysterically funny this read is.   If you want a read to warm your heart, this is it!

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martins Press for the advance read!
Hating to be somewhat contrary, but I have always found this author’s work to be a bit overrated… I either cannot finish or have to slog my way through, feeling frustrated. I will keep trying, maybe my mind will change… Cannot recommend this one though, I’m afraid. Thanks to netgalley for the opportunity to read it.
I hadn't read the book that preceded this, and after reading How Hard Can It Be, I'm not even remotely tempted. Pearson tries to cram far too many serious issues into a single book (cutting, menopause, ageism in the workplace, and cheating, to name just a few). Add in the fact that she tries to be funny and as often not fails...

As others have noted, Kate is a doormat. Her kids walk over her, her repairman walks over her, even her dog doesn't listen to her halfhearted commands. Every once in a while she shows a glimmer of backbone, but not nearly enough. Plus she's clueless about what's happening around her. The HEA ending was not nearly enough to redeem the rest. I could not in good faith recommend.

*ARC via netgalley*
How Hard Can It Be will draw out resounding guffaws, nods, and “Amen sister” from working mothers, especially (pre)menopausal ones, from all over the world, with a husband/spouse/partner going through a mid-life crisis of their own.

Most of the time, this book is humorous but at times it sounds passive aggressive, which makes me dislike Kate as a character sometimes. Why? Because she walks around carrying the burden of running a home and a family, all the while complaining inwardly about it but doesn’t actually say something about it to her family. The result is a very biased point-of-view that makes her family look like selfish brats, including Richard the father. Us readers can’t see the better sides of her family because it’s tainted with Kate’s POV.

This book is terribly accurate, in regards to the realities of working mothers of teenagers in the 21st century, and of observations of the progress on the status of women for the latest 100-or-so years. It’s also accurate in terms of the attitude most working mothers assume. Kate is heavily laden with love and loyalty to her family, with thoughts running 100 different directions (all of them revolving around her loved ones), which are thoroughly laced with sarcasm. When I think about it, without sarcasm, this book will sound so depressing especially because it mirrors real life so vividly. It also saddens me that this book reflects the dire state of modern marriage where adultery is so common.

I don’t know if this book can be enjoyed by the (traditional) male population of this planet. I’d love to read their take on How Hard Can It Be.

This book has a fantastic pace and resolves well. It’s highly engaging and I don’t think there’s a pointless scene in this book at all. Everything contributes to the point the author is trying to make a.k.a the title.

Trigger warning(s): Adultery, Self-harm
This book delivers exactly what it promises. I di not read the first book but this is a sequel where it feels like that would not be needed.
Overall this book was funny, on point, and at times a lot more graphic than I would have expected. I cannot relate to all the issues that Kate Reddy is facing but I have a strong hunch that many women at or closing on being 50 who are trying to juggle being a Mom and a wife with being a woman, going back to work and well, the body growing older and changing.
If you are out looking for a light, funny, and honest read, this might be one for you. If you are around 50, this might be even more so enjoyable.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchage for an honest review.
Being a fan of chicklit, I am slowly realizing that I am getting older along with the authors who seem to write what they know.  How Hard Can It Be? was not as lighthearted as I expected it to be.  It was chock-filled with middle age clichés.  Everything that women go through once reaching late-40s is threaded throughout this book. As chick lit centered around a coming of age 20 is filled with promise and only good things to come, this was chick lit highlighting old age, the demise of elderly parents and marriages, teenager strife, and the onset of menopause.  So many pleasant things to look forward to.

While this book did offer up a completely honest view, my advice is to go into it prepared for the brutality of the honesty.
This was a wonderful read! It left me laughing out loud on many occasions as I read of some of the situations that Kate found herself in. Kate is a loveable character that you relate to and want to befriend. You are rooting for her throughout this book!