Mason Jar Science

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 May 2018

Fabulous book full of ideas to spark the mind of a young scientist.  Hands on science projects that will definitely resonate with the imagination of anyone who is interested in science.
Simple experiments with easy-to-follow instructions presented in appealing ways. Topics include Chemistry, Earth Science, Botany, Biology and Physics.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC.

My tweenager  and I loved loved exploring experiments in this book.  It was a fun book, the perfect birthday gift.
Even though I've seen some of these experiments in other books, I really like this book.  The experiments were clearly explained in a way that will get students excited about learning.
My grandkids loved this book.  We made nifty science projects.   I would encourage others to use this book with their kids and grandkids and for teachers to use in the classroom.
Nonfiction
8-13
With two visiting grandsons in the house when this arrived, it’s been put to the test! Plus the cover is quite appealing – I liked it right away, and both boys leafed through it without prompting. It’s nicely organized into six sections. The introductory pages cover What’s So Great About Science?, Why Mason Jars?, and Using the Scientific Method to Solve Mysteries. Then the 40+ experiments are divided into five sciences: The Magic of Chemistry, Earth Science for Earthlings, The Root of All Fun – Botany, It’s Alive! Biology, and Understanding Matter in Motion – Physics. Each experiment is explained with lots of photos. You get a list of materials (most of them found around the house), step-by-step instructions, guidance in what to watch for, and an explanation of the science behind the experiment. Most include a “Take it further” section giving ideas of what else you can do in the experiment. The book is American published, so the volumes are in imperial (cups, tablespoons, etc.), but there is a metric conversion chart in the endmatter. I counted 43 experiments in total, all of them with huge kid-appeal and requiring minimal adult help: instructions on making slimes, quicksand, and crystals, creating a cloud, making your own compass by magnetizing a sewing needle, and cool tricks like making a paper towel “unwettable,” and making coloured water move from jar to jar. Some of them are instant gratification, and others are designed to take several days to reach fruition. We had the most fun making unicorn poop – making different coloured goo and mixing them together. Squishing the goo between your hands is lots of fun – “I could do this all day!” our 8-year-old grandson announced. The scientific method is explained through a colourful flow-chart, emphasizing that a “failed” experiment is still useful and gives you a chance to try it again. Which we did when our goo didn’t quite work out the first time. Most of the experiments are feasible with household items, though I’d recommend stocking up on things like borax and food colouring. I didn’t have glycerin on hand, so our bubbles weren’t as strong as the pictures suggested, but the mason jar lids with clothespin handles made perfect bubble-making gear. There are lots of pictures which illustrate the steps but also inspire young scientists to try an experiment. There is diversity in the young faces that occasionally appear. Along with the aforementioned metric conversion chart, the endmatter includes a glossary, a chart for noting barometric pressure, and a five-page index. The type is suitable for a competent reader, which is why I set the age starting at 8, though younger kids will enjoy exploring this with adult help. My thanks to Storey Publishing for the review copy provided in exchange for my honest review.
More discussion and reviews of this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35489091
Great book for you to do with your kids or school students. Science projects that can be contained and done all in a jar!
What a neat book! Have fine many of the ideas from this book with my kids as well as many others! Great for a rainy day!
This is a very helpful book for youth on science and fun. It’s very nicely laid out, colorful, and a great resource to have that’s also very affordable for the activities involved. Great book.
I have been looking forward to seeing this book for quite a while now! Loads of cool science experiments for kid to try. There's chemistry, earth science, botany, biology, physics projects that would be perfect for kids during the summer. They can make their own mason jar garden bird feeder, and loads of other cool things. I'd think this would be a good gift to start the summer, maybe toss in a mason jar or two, as well! Great book!
very interesting read. lots of fun ideas on what to do with the kids. im sure any child who reads this will be thrilled
Mason Jar Science has fun ideas for kids to get hands-on with science. Broken into sections (Chemistry, Earth Science, Botany, Biology, Physics), kids can easily navigate the book and select which projects to undertake. From Fireworks in a Jar or Cornstarch Quicksand to Very Berry Ink or Light Bending kids are sure to find a variety of projects that interest them. Each project includes subsections like materials, instructions, what to watch for, what's going on, tell me more, or take it further so kids (and adults) know exactly what steps to take.

Mason Jar Science is full of great ideas that will keep kids busy, learning, and engaged. It's prefect for summers at home or for adventurous teachers looking for fun classroom projects!
Mason Jar Science is a fun and education collection of 40 experiments covering chemistry, earth science, botany, biology, and physics. Each experiment has clearly labeled sections for materials, instructions, what to watch for, and what’s going on. Some of the experiments have variations, science in real life, tell me something I don’t know, speak like a scientist, and tell me more sections that help to extend the learning experience of the reader. The experiments mostly use household items that you probably already have around. I like that for the more obscure items that are needed for certain experiments they give tips on where to find them. The book has great illustrations and photos that are colorful, and the text is presented in an easy to read format. A glossary and conversion charts are included in the back. This is a wonderful collection of experiments to get kids excited to learn about science.

I received an advance reading copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not obligated to write a positive review.
Mason Jar Science, by Jonathan Adolph includes 40 Slimy, Squishy, Super-Cool Experiments to Capture Big Discoveries in a Jar from the Magic of Chemistry and Physics to the Amazing Worlds of Earth Science and Biology.

This book spans over 130 pages and features 40 experiments for kids to perform in a mason jar as their science lab. There are a variety of experiments focusing on topics from Chemistry, Earth Science, Botany, Biology, and Physics.

Mason Jar Science is a highly recommended and informative book that provides fun scientific projects. It's geared towards elementary and middle school students, particularly third to seventh graders.

Note: I received this book from NetGalley, which is a program designed for bloggers to write book reviews in exchange for books, yet the opinions expressed in this review are my own.
This is a wonderful book to help spark creativity and a love of science in younger children.  Geared toward 7-10 year olds, these experiments can be done by children with minimal  adult supervision. From goo to weather, the book has chapters that cover chemistry, gardening, physics and ink making.  Lots of pictures and specific recipes with ingredients that are easily found at the grocery.  All you'll need is a supply of glass jars.  Great for the summer doldrums or a rainy day.  You'll be the favorite parent, grandparent or friend when you give the children on your list a copy of Mason Jar Science.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
My boys and I loved this book! Filled with a ton of science experiments for elementary kids!   Great explained experiments and explanations for you r little ones.  We had most items required for the experiments! This book will be great for summer time/ or rainy day fun!  Make sure you pick this up for your little ones fun!
Mason Jar Science: 40 Slimy, Squishy, Super-Cool Experiments; Capture Big Discoveries in a Jar, from the Magic of Chemistry and Physics to the Amazing Worlds of Earth Science and Biology by Jonathan Adolph is currently scheduled for release on May 29 2018. Heatproof, transparent, and durable, the mason jar is a science lab just waiting to be discovered. Unlock its potential with 40 dynamic experiments for budding scientists ages 8 and up. Using just a jar and a few ordinary household items, children learn to create miniature clouds, tiny tornadoes, small stalactites, and, of course, great goo and super slime! With a little ingenuity, the jar can be converted into a lava lamp, a water prism, a balloon barometer, and a compass. Each fun-packed project offers small-scale ways to illustrate the big-picture principles of chemistry, botany, biology, physics, and more.

Mason Jar Science: 40 Slimy, Squishy, Super-Cool Experiments; Capture Big Discoveries in a Jar, from the Magic of Chemistry and Physics to the Amazing Worlds of Earth Science and Biology is a well organized book that not only offers interesting science experiments for children, but it also explores the science involved and encourages young scientists to use the scientific method and to take things to the next level, safely of course. I liked that most of the experiments can be done with things your are likely to already own, but are fairly inexpensive to gather if you need them. Some of the experiments are classics, ones that need to be included, suck as making rock candy, clay, and spectacular bubbles. But, the book also included some of the more trendy kitchen concoctions like slime. There were some that I have never seen, and some that were familiar but with some added or changed details to make it new. I think this would be a great resource for families with a science loving child (or more), those dreading a science fair, and libraries (including public, school, and classroom). I am now looking forward to the next school vacation so I can take my time and explore some of these with my own young scientists.
This was a cool book of various experiments such as slime, and clay. They were just messy enough for kids to enjoy but not too messy for parents. The experiments weren’t too difficult. Kids will love it!

#netgalley
My customers enjoy books like these. Looking at the projects I know they will like this book as well. The pictures are bright and colorful. The projects are are clear and easy to follow. These are popular projects right now as well. I will be ordering this title into the store and recommending it.
Great variety of ideas. I can see my Maker club students wanting to try out a lot of these projects.