The High Season

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2018

Summer reading to me should be enjoyable lighter fare that takes you away to a coastal location with interesting charcters. This book meets my criteria for all of the above. It is not your usual summer reading, the author steps into the subterfuge of stalking, of the vapid innate useless  rich and of the empty lives they lead.

But at the heart of this book is the location, coastal Hampton's in the summer and all that implies. I found it
surprising and more so that I did not like the charcters at all due to their inexplicable narcissistic attitude.  The heart of the book is the location. and for summer reading I found that interesting but I could not connect with the wealthy or relate to them in any way.
So many people...in an area that is filled with people who actually live there, brings conflict & confusion in a setting of beautiful beach & ocean. The reader will be drawn into the emotions of having way too many personalities infilterating an area that should be quiet and calm, and the sometime snobby elitism that comes from characters who resent the invasion of high season visitors.
Solid vacation read but it made me a little sad for the home owner

Free copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Every summer, Ruthie and her daughter Jem must exile themselves from their home in a Hamptons-adjacent village on Long Island, vacating so that summer renters can take up residence—this arrangement is the only way Ruthie and her almost-ex (Mike) can afford to keep their lovingly-restored house. This summer, on the day the glamorous new renter arrives and catches Mike's eye, Ruthie finds out that her beloved job as the director of a small museum in the village is at risk because of a power-hungry board member’s scheming. 15-year-old Jem is on the outs with an unkind friend, as well as with the girls she shoved aside in pursuit of popularity. And Ruthie’s enigmatic employee Doe, an upstart with a fabricated resume, is desperate to find her way into the inner circle of the wealthy summer crowd and increase the follower count of her gossipy, anonymous Instagram account.

Are you sensing a theme? This is a novel about outsiders who disrupt the world in which they’ve been trying to gain a foothold. The writing is lovely, and the depth of Blundell’s character development elevates this beyond the realm of the typical dishy beach read (those can be great, too! But this has all the fun, plus a dash more substance).

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.
When I picked this up I thought it would be a tense, dark summer thriller. But it wasn’t at all! It was more in line with books like The Nest and even Big Little Lies. Darkly comic with some serious undercurrents, super interesting and likable and well drawn characters.
I enjoyed this book so much! I read it during a busy time at my house with people visiting us. I would only have time to read it late at night before sleeping and every single time I started it, I stayed up way too late because I didn’t want to stop reading!
This book felt like the first season of Game of Thrones, or one of those movies with a holiday name and quick appearances from 100 actors. There were SO many characters in this book! at times, I felt like I needed a flow chart to keep them straight. After a few chapters, I started to get it down more.

An interesting summer read!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
DNF at 50%
I tried reading this book for over two weeks and just couldn’t keep reading. It sat unread for about a week and I almost pushed through since I was halfway, and then I read another chapter and realized I had to stop. Unfortunately, I found this book predictable with no likable characters. Maybe I’ll try picking it up again the the future, but for now it just is not something I want to continue reading.
I tried to get into this book but just couldn't. I read up to about 30% but it t didn't grab my attention. Someone else might like it, it just wasn't my style. I took a chance that it would be a good beach read, but it was too much detail of high society characters. The part about the photographer really didn't interest me. Thank you netgalley for the chance to read, but you ask for honest review so this is it.  I do think if I kept going it would get better, but I need something to grab me right away.
The High Season by Judy Blundell. Ruthie, Mike and Jen owned a beach house they had to move out to rent in the summer. Sometimes they moved into a garage or a trailer in a park. When Ruthies husband Mike became involved with Adeline they wanted to buy her house she said no at first. Lucas tried to steal Daniel Manthis painting. She changed her mind after some life changing events and sold her house. Over Thanksgiving break Jem and Ruthie moved into a sublet that had one bedroom and a office. Mike and Adeline married in the spring and Jem was going with them to Italy. For Ruthie was not a love story but sometimes that is how divorce is.
I really enjoyed this engaging book. It was perfect for a beach read. The family dynamics and rest of the story made me not put this book down until it was finished. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
When Ruthie's life starts to go downhill, it goes down fast.  The question is - what is she going to do about it?

This turned out to be a delightful surprise.  I ended up really liking Ruthie and was cheering that her life would make a turn around.  She's funny and loyal - almost to her detriment.  For me, this was a story about learning how to let go and turning life's lemons into lemonade (sorry for the cliche).

I received this from Random House Publishing via Netgalley.
I received an netgalley of The High Season by Judy Blundell. It takes place in South Fork, the muted version of the Hamptons. Ruthie is about to lose her job, marriage and friends one fateful summer. She needs to come to grips with her situation and try to adapt. This is a perfect beach read filled with heartache, loss and romance. A must read.
As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew that it was going to be a great beach read. Every year the "summer bummer" begins where the tourists take over.

I loved Ruthie. She was a great and likeable character. Although she lived in a community filled with rich folks, she herself didn't have that luxury. It was interesting to see her immersed in that environment. I also really like Ruthie's fifteen year old daughter, Jem.

I really enjoyed the author's writing style and the way she painted the story. This was a quick read and would be perfect to read while lying on the beach.

Thank you to NetGalley for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ruthie Beamish has a beautiful house in a Long Island village, but she cannot afford to keep it unless the family rents it out during the summer months.  Despite the fact that her ex-husband is pushing her to sell, Ruthie is adamant about her choice.  This year's renter, Adeline Clay, is a rich woman with an agenda of her own.  By the time the summer nears its end, will Ruthie regret the choices she has made or seize an unexpected possibility for her future?

I really wanted to like this novel, but I found my attention waning towards the middle of the book.  The High Season had potential to be a good beach read, but the characters and the side plots took over.  I just did not buy Ruthie's story, as her reactions to the situations in which she finds herself seem overly dramatic in places and blase in others.  In a genre full of similar stories with more likable characters, I would be hesitant to recommend The High Season to other readers.

I was given the opportunity to read The High Season via Random House and NetGalley.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.
What an unexpectedly fun and well-written book! I work in the nonprofit world, so many of the plot points are familiar to me (and I cannot wait to share this with my fellow nonprofit friends!) Ruthie was a lovable character, and even her least logical life choices made sense in this madcap plot.

I’ve read a lot of books set among the wealthy in summer beach communities, but this has to be one of the best. I hadn’t heard of Orient, but even though I’ve finished the book, I’m not quite ready to let go of it yet (apparently it’s a real place, and now I want to go there). The good guys won, the bad guys lost, and even though that can feel contrived and clichéd, in this case, it just seemed right.

I can’t wait to read more from this author — I would read one of her books every summer, like I do from Elin Hilderbrand or Nancy Thayer, if only she would write a book this good every time. Ruthie’s story isn’t over yet, so maybe we can have a sequel?

I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The High Season is the ultimate beach read! It has everything I want in one a little gossip, some great characters and an insight into elite society. I fully enjoyed the storyline and its the book to sit back and enjoy on a summer day.
The High Season would have worked better as short stories connected by the location, for my taste.  There were so many characters and plotlines that I found it a bit overwhelming. The overall pacing was uneven, it started slowly due to the introduction of so many characters and story arcs. I have to say that it took until the last third for me to actually care about the people in the book, and even then it wasnt compelling me to finish. So, while it might be a good beach or travel read for some, it was a bit too complicated for my reading style.
This definitely fits into the beach bag canon for summer. I was quite interested in the idea that even on the not as busy side of the Hamptons area, Ruthie, her ex and daughter must move out of their house for the high paying summer months in order to pay for its' upkeep the rest of the year. Honestly, it took me awhile to get into this, but I have enjoyed Blundell's young adult books and this one eventually tracked for me as well.
Get your beach chair and umbrella settled for this GREAT summer beach read !! A must read for fans of Elin Hilderbrand!
Perfect summer beach read - interesting and light, without being too fluffy. The characters were all well-developed, and I hope Judy Blundell will continue to write for adults as I have enjoyed all of her previous work.