The Sorensen Low Self-Esteem Recovery Program

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Dec 2018

Goo  d book just need to follow the directions and We'll be set!  Sometimes it hard to do what is best for us!
Very informational and easy to use and read.  I think this should definitely be in every library rotation.  I would definitely recommend this if a patron asked.
I was given an advanced copy through Netgalley for my review. I would highly recommend this book to family and friends and will buy a copy for myself.
I think the low self-esteem (LSE) recovery program presented in this book has a lot of merit. However, there were many aspects of the book that I found off-putting.

Dr. Sorensen spends too much time trying to convince the reader that her LSE recovery program is the only program that works, which I just don't buy. I would rather she just presented her program without trying to argue that she is the sole expert in the field. Especially since she is trying to convince an audience who is already reading her book, so I really don't understand why she feels the need to keep hammering that point.

Dr. Sorensen recommends that you work through her previous book, Breaking the Chain of Low Self-Esteem, before starting this program. I don't understand why she thinks she needs two books to present her program.

Basically, I just didn't resonate with the author's style. She made a lot of statements I found highly questionable without backing them up. If she'd had citations, I would have felt more inclined to trust her. Apparently, she doesn't cite any of the relevant literature because she thinks "most of that work is scientific rather than practical."

The exercises in Dr. Sorensen's recovery program could prove useful if you're willing to dedicate the time to them, and there were notes about how self-esteem develops that could prove useful to parents or teachers, so perhaps you'll appreciate this book more than I did.

I was provided an ARC through NetGalley that I volunteered to review. Because I have not seen the final published version, I cannot comment on the final editing and formatting. The ARC was neatly formatted, although there were some proofreading errors that I hope an editor corrected.
When you've struggled with self-esteem issues your entire life and you see a book called The Sorensen Low Self-Esteem Recovery Program it tends to pique your curiosity.  I've always known that I suffer from low self-esteem but for the life of me cannot tell you its origins.  I do know that it is a familiar trait in my family so maybe it's inherited and if so am I able to combat it and have the healthy self-esteem that I've always craved?  That's what I hoped to find out in The Sorensen Low Self-Esteem Recovery Program.

Dr. Marilyn Sorensen does a wonderful job of making sure the reader knows from the beginning that recovering from low self-esteem is "only possible if you choose to make use of what you learn," and that the road to recovery can be a long process.  This is an interactive resource so you will get out of it what you put into it.

What I loved about this book is that Dr. Sorensen goes into great detail explaining just what low self-esteem is, why it develops in so many of us, and symptoms of low self-esteem.  The steps to recovery are clearly laid out and even though I've had a short amount of time to incorporate the steps just recognizing the symptoms in myself has been life changing.  I know that I have a long road ahead but I hope that me making the necessary changes in myself will help me to not pass this horrible trait to my children.

If you struggle with low self-esteem issues, or know someone that does, I highly recommend this book.  If you really apply what Dr. Sorensen recommends I know you will be on the road to an healthy self-esteem in no time!
I love the idea of the subject this book talks about. However, it talks about problems, and make oneself aware of how to identify them. One thing that it disappoints me is that it does provide the solution to that problem.
'The Sorensen Low Self-Esteem Recovery Program: Your Guide to a Life Free from Fear and Anxiety' by Marilyn J. Sorenen PhD is a companion book to another book by the author called 'Breaking the Chain of Low Self-Esteem.'  It's probably better for the reader to start with that book, but based on my reading experience, I'm ok just reading this one.

I have a love/hate relationship with self-help books.  I've read quite a few, and there have been some really great ones.  This one falls into the not so great category.  The reason is that the first half of the book explains the "program" and what it will do to you.  This starts to feel like a lot of self-promotion for the author's "special method" and it's a recurring thing I see in self-help books.  It's like the reader is being pumped up with hope for what is to follow.

When the program finally shows up, it seems like a good solution.  I just felt like I was being sold on something I was already interested in, and I'm just not a fan of that approach.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Wolf Publishing Co. and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
I liked the idea for this book. Once, I started reading it however, it just felt like a promotion for the authors program and other book. I was disappointed.
This book is a good start to learning more about self-esteem and to help people on their journey to recovering from low self-esteem. However, this book does not go into depth as much as I would have liked. I highly recommend reading her other book Breaking the Chain of Low Self-Esteem as it gives more insight and has more examples.
This was an okay book on the topic of low self-esteem.  I appreciated the author's description of her own struggles with the problem but I didn't find her suggestions/tools for recovery to be that innovative. She had a tone of arrogance (implying she knows more than anyone else) that I found off putting. Because I have no practical knowledge of how effective her methods are, I rate this book at 3 stars out of 5 stars.
My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is not the best-written book. It reads as a commercial for Sorensen's other book and her particular program. The book is short and the actual program doesn't take up much space.  But the ideas and methods behind her program look like they will be helpful to me. I'll be back to comment on how it worked for me in an honest fashion.
I do want to give kudos to the author for being honest about her struggle. Reading the information she provides about self-esteem, you can see it within her and her own struggles. It gives me more confidence ina program when the creator knows what going through the issues are like.
This title is a bit harder to handle as an ebook. I feel like obviously it would be better as a physical copy where I can take notes, refer back to previous sections, and fully use the book the way it is intended. I think the content of the book is great and I truly think it can help someone who is struggling with self-esteem issues or knows somone who is. It's a good look into the different aspects of self-esteem and how to improve your life ans be a hapier person.
The book had some good points, and would be good for parents to be.
Would be a 4 star for me had it been more helpful
This is a great book for anyone who wants to learn more about the symptoms of self-esteem, whether it’s for yourself or parents to help understand what their children may be experiencing.  I experienced so many of these symptoms as a child but didn’t know what it all meant at the time. There are a lot of exercises in the book that sound very helpful and insightful. I like how the author sees low-self esteem as a separate issue than mental illness, I never really thought of it that way before.
This book is less a help guide than it is the author congratulating herself on finding a method and trying to sell the reader on it, before finally just summarizing basic psych 101 concepts and acting like any of it is new.
This book was wonderful.  It was so good, in fact, I did not remove it from my KIndle Fire after I finished it.  This book has such great information on dealing with self esteem issues I see myself re-reading it and also buying for some other people I am close to.
For the person with low self-esteem I’d definitely recommend this book in conjunction with the author’s prior book on the same subject. I also think it would be a great read on preventing low esteem issues in couples embarking on parenthood.  The book is filled with many exercises that the LSE individual can work through on the road to overcoming their esteem issues.
This book is very short & concise.  This book is good about giving helpful information about low self-esteem, but it is lacking  in how to overcome low self-esteem.  There are tasks to do, but they are very basic & not much insight offered in focusing on how to increase your self-esteem.  I would rate this book 3.5 stars.