In Bloom

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Aug 2018

DNF @ 13%

I really wanted to finish this one because I received a free copy but I couldn't do it. I have a few things fundamentally wrong with it that made it hard for me to continue.

1. I keep seeing reviews that say you don't have to be a Christian to pull something great out of this book. Great, we should be reaching those who aren't Christ-followers. But also, I want a book that is so infused with the gospel and scripture that you can't "get" the point of the book without opening your Bible or looking to Christ.

2. I don't feel like she actually said anything in the few chapters that I did read. It read way more like a memoir or diary than a non-fiction. That's fine. I like memoirs. But I don't like a book that says it will deliver a whole bunch of gospel truths in relation to insecurity and then just tells all about the author's struggles with it in story format without offering too much in the way of how we, as Christians, should respond to it.

3. This was actually my breaking point in this one. The author blatantly writes about her lust for Ewan McGregor. I'm not about that life, especially in a Christian book. It's hypocritical. In this same illustration to uses a scene in the movie trailer to explain that she is her own worst enemy. Girl, no you aren't. Satan is.

These few things really rubbed me the wrong way and I really do not agree with them and therefore decided this book was not for me. For a more secular look into insecurity, I'm sure it's great. But not for me.

** I was provided a free e-book from NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Kayla has such a way of sharing her story and having us feel like saying yeah, me too. Being a teen is difficult on it's own, without adding hateful remarks from “mean girls.” I believe most of us can relate to at least some of the insecurities  Kayla faced. I know I have my own scares, but I too have been able to find the comforting truth in God's word and grow from it. Kayla does a wonderful job of honestly sharing her pain, but she doesn't leave us there. She helps us find our compass or true North. I went through all emotions reading her story. One minute I was crying, the next I found myself laughing out loud. I must say Scarlette, Kayla's daughter was my favorite thing in the whole book. She was 5 going on 30. What a delightful little girl. Just one example, when Scarlette comes in the room seeing her mother dressed ready to drive her to school, in yoga pants and a sweatshirt : “Scarlett walked in, looked at me, shook her read and said, “Mommy, You can't just keep wearing your jammies ALL DAY all da time! You needa wear CLOTHES sometimes, You know! REAL clothes! Just try it!” I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. I received a copy of this book from B&H Publishers. Opinions expressed are completely my own.
I enjoyed this book. The author had an approachable, fun voice as a writer. I think it is a great entry level book for those struggling with insecurity and wanting to know how God speaks to this struggle in our lives. However, I only gave it three stars because it is definitely entry level. And I was hoping for a little more depth. Overall though a fun and engaging book for those looking for encouragement.

I received this book for free from B&H in exchange for an honest review.
A must read for all women because, let's face it...we all find ourselves lacking in some area of life, right? This book is a life-saver. It brought me up when I was feeling down. I don't re-read books often, but this one is going to be a yearly read. Get ready to laugh out loud! This book is honest and super amusing. Love it!
This is a great book for anyone, but especially women who feel insecure and doubtful at any time. Refreshing!
This book is for EVERY woman!
ByAmazon Customeron February 7, 2018
I truly believe every woman can relate to the honest feelings and stories Kayla writes about in this book. She’s funny, real, and vulnerable in a way I appreciate so much. The way she writes is so unique and I have really enjoyed both of her books. If you grew up in the 90’s, you will especially enjoy her references to many of the things we loved in that decade. It also has questions so you can do a group study - I think that would be so fun!
Haven’t finished this book but I feel good about it. I love her voice and style, her writing is smooth. Her story is one of laughter , tears and honesty. After reading just a bit I felt much better about my own struggles and how I raised my daughter. Very  human and down to earth
Really great read that will have you laughing, cringing a little, and enough heart and wisdom to really make you think.
I received a copy of In Bloom from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

First of all: Kayla Aimee is a great writer.

She has this way of making you feel … comfortable. Accepted. Welcomed. Understood. This is really key for the message she is trying to send. In Bloom explores what happens when you silently absorb the messages that the world around you have given you. What happens when other people’s words reduce you, when you allow them to define you. What happens when you start to lose touch with who God thinks you are.

What happens when shame starts to take root in your life.

I’ve been a Christian for a long time now, and I was sure I’d had all the bases covered, introspective-prayer-wise. I didn’t decide to believe in God in a neat and tidy conversion experience: it was actually a long, messy process that involved a lot of thought (I mean, you know how I like to think about stuff). It involved a ton of prayer. And an awful lot of unraveling all the things I had previously believed about the world and my place in it.

And yet, while I read this book, some small, hidden, niggly little things started to come to the surface. Words people had spoken over me that I had absorbed, but forgotten about. Somewhere they remain in me, and they have a way of changing the way I think and behave. How is that possible? How is it that comments from years and years ago can still sting even now? Aimee kind of describes it here:

‘The small slight that we are currently agonizing over is magnified by the power of memory. It somehow soaks up all the spillover we never quite mopped up from earlier brush-offs. It becomes every rejection all over again, rolled into one.’

With sensitivity and humour, Aimee covers topics like rejection, friendships, feeling insignificant and how social media inflames that, self-esteem, body confidence, love, jealousy, spreading yourself too thinly, longing for approval, and taking people as they are. She ties it all up in an encouraging way: you’ve said this about yourself? God says this. You feel this way about your body? Well, God says this. And all for the hope of a better, newer, more exciting, more meaningful life, free of shame and fear and labels that no longer fit us, enabling us to encourage others to see themselves differently, too, holding a candle up to each others strengths, and learning to celebrate one another’s successes.

She is also unafraid of gently challenging the way we deal with certain topics within the Christian faith. In the chapter ‘Between the Sheets’, she discusses how the purity culture within certain denominations can be damaging, particularly for young women. She also tackles the subject of the Proverbs 31 woman, and how Christians have taken what was originally intended as a blessing song for husbands to sing to their wives over a Sabbath meal, into a list of impossible-to-live-up-to instructions on female existence, and whether we can finally let go of that ‘perfect Christian woman’ ideal.

Mostly, In Bloom is a celebration of the new things God can do, and is doing, in us. How to shake off shame in order to concentrate on the tasks God has given you to do.

‘It’s a laborious remaking, a rebuilding, but the thing about God is that even when you burn it all down, He is quite capable of restoring from ashes.’

In Bloom made me remember the rebuilding God has done in my own life, and the work still to do. I plan on buying a copy for, like, everyone’s birthday for the next year or so. (You’re welcome, friends and family.) I can’t recommend it enough.
Kayla Aimee is real...I want to sit and have coffee with her and talk about all of the things she's learned.  Her memories of adolescence made me alternately laugh and cringe...and so much of what she wrote feels like a conversation with a good friend.
This book is for anyone that has dealt with shame and/or feeling inadequate. Growing up in the 90s I found her references to that era so funny. I mean who didn't buy TigerBeat and pull our that JTT poster? But the heart of her message really struck me. It helped me to uncover what was at the root of some of my personal shame and the feelings of being left out. Once you identify that and bring it to light, it doesn't have as much power if any. Thankful for a book woven with scripture!
In Bloom is a wonderful book on a struggle common to so many women. She shares her insecurities and struggles in a real (and humorous!) way. This book will be encouraging for any woman, especially for anyone who feels lonely, lost, or just out of place. What a great reminder of His love for all of us!

Major bonus points for the level of humor in this book. I laughed out loud more than once. As in...I was still laughing pages after reading a funny story. You know it's good when you are still snickering pages later. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! And I found myself wanting to hang out with Kayla. :)

I received this book free. I was not required to write a review. All opinions above are entirely my own.
I really really wanted to love this book. The description was great and I had (maybe too high?) high expectations for it. The author is very open and honest with her reader and isn’t afraid to say the ugly things we all think and feel. I commend her for that. It’s not easy to say to a close friend let alone strangers who will pick up your book. I could relate to what she was saying but that’s about it. I wanted more in terms of how can we practically get over these things with the help of the Lord. I wanted deeper revelation. Deeper biblical application. It left me feeling rather fluffy... comfortable with my insecurities (cuz other people feel them too... they could relate) as opposed to presenting a solid biblical way to turn those insecurities into wings to fly on for the glory of God.
I received a digital copy of this book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Kayla is relatable, raw, and relentless in her pursuit of encouraging women to know and embrace their worth and live with confidence. In Bloom is for you!
Very, very sweet author with a welcoming style and lots of good advice. I didn't connect with this book but I could see how others in this type of situation would. I would definitely buy this book for a few of my friends who I can see are dealing with the same type of issues. I'm torn on the stars as I personally had a hard time finishing it but the writing style and commentary would be so beneficial to some. I went with four stars for that reason.
A great read for anyone who's ever struggled with self-esteem or wondered where their place is among other women. Wish this book had been around when I was a teen!
We all deal with insecurities and some times think we are the only ones dealing with it. In Bloom: TradGing Restless Insecurity....Kaylee did an awesome job drawing us into the book. Over and over I kept saying "that was me, too" many times, the author confronts real battles of feeling insecure with truth filled encouragement. We are bombarded with media and images that of those who appear to have it all together, what "real women" should look like and act like. Our faith is in Jesus, not those who feel the need to make others feel insecure. This was the first book by the author that I have read and was impressed with the raw and heartbreaking honesty.

A Must Read!!
Kind of like the overall theme of this book, I wrote a review and it disappeared. I suspect Kayla Aimee can feel me in this. Her book is about shame, insecurity, and blame. Who hasn't felt these emotions or experienced awkward situations? This book takes the theory of Bréne Brown and marries it with the experience of real life. We can all feel seen and heard because Aimee shares her own vulnerable moments in order to share God's grace. It is refreshingly honest and truthful. Great book with a timely message.
Insecurity has long been my unwanted companion. Since I’d love to be free from it, I chose this book from a virtual shelf. The bright, pretty blooms also called to me.

Kayla Aimee writes about tough subjects with lots of laughter and entertaining sarcasm. She tells many stories based on her past, and uses humor to open the door to dealing with past pain. Her hurts include suffering from bullying, always wanting to fit in, self-image problems, recovering from her parents’ divorce, and a child who was in the NICU for six months. She speaks about how her faith anchored her, chased away her insecurity and ultimately helped her bloom with confidence.

You’ll like this book if:
- You have a dry sense of humor
- 90’s pop culture is your jam
- The perfect world painted on social media both attracts and repels you
- Quotable quotes make you happy
- You enjoy cute stories about little kids

Here’s a sampling of the many well-written, faith-based quotes from In Bloom:

- The small slight that we’re currently agonizing over is magnified by the power of memory.
- Rejection is hard. Because regardless of our age, we all just want to fit in.
- One of the worst feelings in the world is to not be seen. No one wants to go through life unnoticed. We all just want someone to tell us we matter.
- Keeping up appearances is such a heavy burden placed on women.

If you’re looking for a light, funny read that still packs loads of spiritual truth, I recommend In Bloom.

Thanks goes out to Netgalley for a free review copy of this wonderful book.
I loved this book. Kayla seriously writes like she could be my best friend. Did she look in my middle school diaries? I related to her so much. The topic of identity and self-acceptance can be a bit heavy, but she tackled it head on with humor and grace. This book gave me confidence to be myself and that all God's plans are good. From another girl who's hair tends to grow triangular..solidarity. Total solidarity.