Love and Ruin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

LOVE AND RUIN ..review

As a fan of this author, I was once again caught up into the lives of the historical characters.  I had know little about Martha Gellhorn and Hemingway.  She was a truly amazing woman, and the author did a wonderful job of describing her exciting life and affair with a married Hemingway.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and thank Netgalley for an ARC.
Love and Ruin by Paula McLain is a book I enjoyed so much more than I was expecting. It is a fictional  story about Martha Gellhorn and her travels around the world as a journalist and her relationship and marriage to Ernest Hemingway.

I was interested in the story but also a bit leery. Often fictional books about real people come off as fake and trying to hard and I often find myself really not liking this person who really did live. But Love and Ruin was luckily not at all like that. I was sucked into the writing and the character of Martha pretty quickly.

Martha had depth and I found myself over and over not necessarily agreeing with her decisions but feeling like I understood her enough to understand why she made those decisions. I loved her development as a person throughout the story and that growth felt very true to real life. The story is told with Martha being the narrator and it really did feel like she wrote the book. I loved the descriptive details of what she was feeling and thinking and seeing. Martha is sent to cover many war zones and I found the information about the various wars and countries she covered fascinating and I learned a lot. The descriptions of her experiences in war zones seemed so realistic I could easily picture what she was seeing and living through.

I think the story was so successful for me because it wasn’t just about her and Hemingway. It was the story of Martha Gellhorn, who also happened to be married to Ernest Hemingway but her marriage to him wasn’t the whole part of her. She lived an adventurous life and was definitely her own person who was trying to discover who she was. She was constantly searching for her place and for who she was. Many of the choices she makes is because of that search. Really it was the story of the struggle of finding yourself and what it means for relationships and those you love when what you love to do takes you away from those who need you. How do you choose which to cultivate?
I enjoyed Paula McClain’s book The Paris Wife and was excited for the opportunity to read this newest work. Love and Ruin tells the love story of Ernest Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn. McClains writing is easy to relate to, and tells this story beautifully. I am so thankful that she shared this piece of history with us.
Hemingway was one of the first classic writers I can remember reading and enjoying. I was thrilled last year to be approved for this book. Quickly disappointment set in. I tried several times to read it and could not get interested. This year I opted to listen to the audiobook. I did finish it but again a disappointment.

The story base is very interesting but details seemed to overshadow and drag the story on longer than needed. The most interesting fact for me came towards the end when learning Martha was the only female at Normandy. I would have loved to have learned more about her experiences there.

I am happy I stuck with this book but do not think I will read again.

I received a complimentary copy from Random House Publishing House- Ballantine Books through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own. The audiobook I received from my local library.
I really enjoyed this book. It is so well written and I will read anything by this author. I really felt like I was there and invested in the characters. Would definitely recommend.
Great book. So many people are excited about this book and everything it means to literary geniouses. It was interesting.
Love and Ruin was an I testing read, particularly for writers or fans of Ernest Hemingway. Paula Mclain does an excellent job depicting Hemingway and his relationship with Martha (Marty), and the historical elements were also interesting and educational. Overall, a solid read.
Fabulous, masterful and beautiful.  I love how McClain captures this young journalist and her travels (third wife of Hemingway) and shows us a great look into her life around the world.  A wonderful piece of historical fiction that will have you wanting to know more about this courageous woman who experiences war, talks to POW's and so much more.  I found an instant admiration for her and I will certainly be reading Paula McClain again!  Highly recommended read.  5 stars
This historical fiction novel is about the relationship between Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway. This book was a bit too slow for me.  I really wanted to like it, but it fell a little flat on its storyline execution.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a complimentary copy of this book.
Love and Ruin
by Paula McLain

I don’t think Paula McLain can stop herself from writing about Hemingway. Seriously, when she spoke at our library author lunch, I’m pretty sure she admitted to being a teensy bit obsessed with him. Thankfully, this time around Hemingway’s mystique is completely eclipsed by the powerhouse journalist Martha Gelhorn, who unfortunately gets mixed up with the hard driving author on the cusp of stardom. The book’s summary uses words like “unexpectedly” and “uncontrollably”, which makes Gelhorn seem a helpless debutante, which she is decidedly not. But what was it with Hemingway and all these women who gave up their lives, homes, and careers for him? That is some amazing charisma…or something. Anyway, this is a woman worthy of her own story, and I was mildly disappointed that McLain chose to tie her life forever to Hemingway’s, especially when such a small part of her success came when they were together. Nevertheless, McLain can craft a compelling story, and I will keep reading her books as long as she continues to find intriguing historical subjects like this that inspire, enlighten, and entertain.

For Goodreads:

Why I picked it — Because Paula McLain wrote it.
Reminded me of… another story of McLain’s, also about another wife of Hemingway, The Paris Wife. How could it not?
For my full review — click here
An interesting look at the 3rd wife of Ernest Hemmingway.  Martha "Marty" Gellhorn was an amazing journalist and writer.  Her work as a war correspondent was amoung the best.  Her travels took her all over and she met some really amazing people.  Ernest really brought out the best in her even though their relationship wasnt always healthy.
Many thanks to Paula McLain, Ballantine, and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. The tumultuous marriage of Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway probably should have never happened, and it probably wouldn't have e copy for circumstances. Both hired journalists to cover the war in Spain they had an affair, but Ernest sucked the life out of her, and she couldn't stop traveling for her own career. Needless to say, they didn't last long. I loved this book. I own every McLain novel. I find her quite impressive. She does her research and doesn't exaggerate. I find that quite refreshing. I can't wait for her next book.
A beautiful story of a trail-blazing war correspondent who tackles everything in her life with vigor.
I love Paula McLain's writing, but this book just didn't captivate me as much as The Paris Wife did.
Love and Ruin by Paula McLain is the fictionalized account of the relationship between Ernest Hemingway and Martha Ellis Gelhorn. Their relationship and hence the book follows a cyclic path through war and peace. The focus remains throughout the relationship more so than the woman and her accomplishments. I guess in many ways I would rather have read the story of Martha Gelhorn, groundbreaking war correspondent, than Martha Gelhorn, one of the wives of Ernest Hemingway.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/12/love-and-ruin.html

Reviewed for NetGalley.
Loved this story. Not a Hemingway fan but love how Mclain humanizes him.
great page turner and great for the literary/classic reader in your life
How do you compete with a living legend?  You don't and so they had to part.  This seems to indicate that she was the better writer at her craft and I don't think he could handle that.  His arrogance shines through like a beacon in the night and that became tedious but it isn't the author's fault--I think that's genuinely who he was.  He saw what he wanted and took it.  I enjoyed The Paris Wife but by this point I am very over him and wouldn't read another one plus the fact that her writing feels like she's forcing herself to write in a 1930s voice.  Strong woman with a good story that just didn't work as well as I had expected based on her previous work.
Love and Ruin is well written, like all of Paula McLain's works. She does a great job of adding light and color to characters on the periphery of history, painting them into their rightful places, even if only in fiction. Often, these individuals were more influential than history books reveal, but these are supporting characters to other individuals who were larger than life itself. McLain continues this successful trend as Love and Ruin places the magnifying glass over Martha Gelhorn and her time reporting on the Spanish Civil war along with author Ernest Hemingway. Fans of The Paris Wife will likely also enjoy this work.
Although I deplore  Ernest Hemingway's arrogance and misogyny, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Paula McLain's "Love and Ruin" about Martha Gellhorn's career and relationship/marriage to Ernest Hemingway.  Gellhorn's life was exciting enough without her becoming Hemingway's third wife, and reading about her wartime reporting adventures as well as her time in Cuba with Hemingway transported me to a different place and time in literary and American/world history through McLain's thorough research and vivid descriptions.  I am fortunate to have visited  Gellhorn's and Hemingway's incredible home in Havana, but the portrayal of the house and grounds in the novel is so accurate and detailed that a reader will see this place without having to travel there.  Paula McClain did an excellent job of introducing this reader to Martha Gellhorn whose fame should not be based on her marriage to a famous author.  Thanks to Net Galley (and to Paula McClain!), I was able to learn more about this interesting woman and her fascinating life and career.
I'm not really a historical fiction type of girl. It was interesting to get a perspective of the life of a writer. I felt like McLain really brought to life the struggles a woman faces when choosing between herself and her husband. Do you chase your own goals or do you stand beside and be supportive. I love that Martha followed her heart and pushed herself to make her own dreams and happiness.