Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I just finished reading Rachel Hollis's Girl, Wash Your Face. I received a copy from Thomas Nelson, because - clearly - Book Reviewer is the best job ever.

For those who don't know her, Rachel is the creative and business powerhouse behind The Chic Site, an awesome blog and portal for women. She has a recipe for Caramel Fudge Topped Guinness Brownies up on the site right now, so obviously she is amazing.

While this book is billed as a Christian memoir, it's not preachy in any way. She's a big tent Christian a la Jen Hatmaker, and is as inclusive as it gets. Even if you are not a Christian, I think you will find it encouraging.

Hollis - who has also written several novels and a cookbook -  writes as she blogs, with a frank, conversational style. She treats her reader like a long-lost best girlfriend with whom she is catching up with over coffee or a glass of wine.

I always hate it when people who are younger than me seem so wise, but she is the real deal. On the one hand, she runs a successful company, is married to a Disney exec, and lives in Bel Air with her beautiful family (and occasionally goes to the Oscars.) On the other hand, she wrestles with everyday doubts and hassles just like the rest of us. Her candidness and her sense of humour is her secret sauce.

Hollis has had a few harder-than-average knocks in her life, which, quite frankly, are what give her such credibility. As a child, she had to deal with the trauma of her brother's suicide and the subsequent unravelling of her family. She's also faced an unbelievably hard road to adopting her daughter, Noah. Though all this, she clings to joy, writing: "this is what it boils down to: faith. The belief that your life will unfold as it was meant to, even when it unfolds into something painful and difficult to navigate." Her trials have not made her bitter and have made her more grateful for what she has.

The subtitle of the books is Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Be Who You Were Meant to Be. Her book walks through 20 common lies that keep us from being our best and happiest and offers tips on what helped her stop believing these lies herself. With chapters ranging from I Need a Drink, to I Am Defined by My Weight, to I'm Not Good Enough, she tackles a lot of taboo subjects that hold so many women back. If you've been struggling in your life, this book is a gift.

Like any good coach or trainer, she is great at giving the reader the proverbial kick in the pants. No matter what terrible things have befallen you, she wants you to move on: "You are a warrior because of the trials you are going through, but don't you dare squander the strength you have earned just because the acquisition of it was painful."

For me, the game changing sentence was this one: "What if none of it was happening to you. What if all of it was happening for you." She talks about the power of a perceptual shift to get you from feeling defeated by your trials, to gaining strength from them. It's a bold statement and one she can only make because she has walked this path herself. If the worst thing that happened to her was that her kitchen reno went over budget or her kid got cut from the soccer team, those would be fighting words.

But she's gone through the fire. And has made it through to the other side, hanging onto joy with sometimes clenched fists. She is proof that every day can be an opportunity to pick yourself up, get unstuck, and start to work on your dreams. As she writes: "Every year, you close a new chapter in your story. Please, please, please don't write the same one seventy-five times and call it a life."

Amen to that.
I first heard about Rachel Hollis through a FB post by Susanne Kearsley (whose work I LOVE) and so off I went to check out the link to this new book! Wow! You guys, as far as I am concerned EVERY woman needs to read this book.

Rachel's raw, funny and real sharing of what she has been through and how she has overcome the lies that she believed is refreshing and wonderfully enlightening! I'm pretty sure that every woman can relate to at least one if not more of the lies we believe about ourselves and Rachel's driving message is that you get to choose how to make change happen. You get to choose a better future and to embrace and reach for the truth. The struggles we as women face are real. I found Girl, Wash Your Face to be full of hope and straight talk.

Whether you have got it all together, or you are hanging on for dear life, this book is a must read!

Thanks to Rachel for her bravery and honesty.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and my opinions are my own.
Not really a Christian book more like a self help/motivational one. While her stories and tips are good there’s too much of how she was able to do everything and not enough God.
I picked this up because I’m a huge fan of Rachel Hollis, though that’s her fiction rather than her lifestyle website. So this work of self-help was new territory for me, but I was quickly relieved to find her amazing humor was still there.
This book feels like a bunch of blog posts, which for all I know is true. At the beginning there’s a section on the true but tired platitude of taking care of yourself before you help others, which by now is so overused it’s hardly a new concept. She does manage to weave several points together, which does help.
This would have been just as good without all the religious stuff thrown in. I feel the earnestness; I don’t believe anything written here is less than genuine. But I can’t be sure if that belief is there because I’m a big fan of her previous works. Nevertheless, it’s more than worthwhile reading for those who aren’t familiar with her Girl series and have no preconceived notions.
3.5 pushed up to 4/5
I read Rachel's book over a couple weeks (holiday chaos got in the way). After the New Year, I'll be sitting down for a reread to make sure I've absorbed all of her message. I underlined, highlighted, and bookmarked more pages in this book than any in the past. So many quotes and pieces of advice that I plan to set into motion in my day to day life from this book. I'm thankful that I was able to read this early and start 2018 with the mindset that I Can Do It!!! This book has given me hope and a feeling that I've been missing for a long time.
This book is listed under the Christian Living section on amazon. While it definitely has a faith side to it, it is in no way 'preachy'. I didn't feel like religion was being shoved down my throat at any time. I consider myself a mostly liberal person, and also a Christian, and only disagreed with a couple of Rachel's opinions. But she doesn't linger on any one thing for an extended time so I quickly moved past it and on to another good point that will affect my life for the better.
Thank you, Rachel, for writing a book full of honesty, humor, realness, and heart. I could feel your words throughout the entire book and just want to give you a huge hug!
I love this book. As a fan of Rachel Hollis, I found this book to exceed my expectations. She is honest and real, providing advice that hit close to home on several instances. It's incredible to see a successful woman who is also vulnerable. I highly recommend this read. (Especially on audiobook!)

* Thank you to Netgalley for providing an ARC!
I'm not going to publicly review this book, because it wasn't for me.
First of all, I adore Rachel Hollis.  I've read her fiction books and I follow her on social media.  While I went into this book somewhat knowing what to expect, I was blown away by how much it spoke to me!  Even the parts of the book that I didn't think really applied to me or my life, somehow made perfect sense and seemed to be speaking right to me.

I really think every woman should read this book.  It is listed as Christian reading, and there is mention of Rachel's beliefs/God/religion, but it is not "preachy" or pushy at all.

This is a book that I will read over and over again, and will likely gift to every woman in my circle of family/friends.
Rachel writes about several issues women face, in an honest and open way.
We LOVE Rachel and all of her fiction books so far. Not to mention we follow her on social media and have met her in person and really enjoy anything she has to say! So of course we were looking forward to this self-help book and she didn't disappoint!

She has such strong and powerful voice that really comes through in this book. We highly recommend it!
I have read the author's blog and other books in the past, so I was eager to read this first non-fiction book.  It was refreshingly honest and covered many topics (lies) that women deal with. I particularly liked the chapter called "I should be further along by now".  Some words of wisdom from that chapter - "Turns out, the most beautiful things in my life were never on my to-do list." and "God has perfect timing, and it's highly possible that by not being were you thought you should be, you will end up exactly where you need to go."

I received a copy of this via NetGalley.
"A caterpillar is awesome, but if the caterpillar stopped there--if she just decided that good is good enough--we would all miss out on the beautiful creature she would become."

This book is meant to be contemplated and devoured. Rachel takes on so many topics that are pertinent for many mom's out there. And as a working mom that tries to do it all I felt particularly connected to several of Rachel's stories that paralleled mine in so many ways. As a follower of Rachel's Chic Site I was floored to learn what all was going on behind the scenes of Rachel's adoption experiences. Rachel made me laugh, tear up and take a closer look at my own life.

"Comparison is the death of joy, and the only person you need to be better than is the one you were yesterday."

***Copy obtained from Thomas Nelson Books via Netgalley***
Oh my….I NEEDED to read this book.  In fact, even though I was exhausted, I pulled two very long nights and finished it quickly (not really what I should have done…given the premise of the book itself!).  Rachel Hollis may be a superstar, but her’s was a new name for me, so I came into this without any preconceived notions of what to expect.  The chapters are outlined based on the lies we tell ourselves; things such as, “I’ll start tomorrow,” “I’m not good enough,” and my personal favorite, “I should be further along by now.”  The book is aimed at moms who are bouncing around through all of the arenas of life right now…work, home, motherhood, life in general…and trying to do it all, while feeling like they’re accomplishing nothing.  The author uses real-life stories, infusing the tragedy with tons of humor, and really feels very easy to relate to.  She basically says what my mother has always said, “you can’t control those around you, or the things that happen in life; you can only control your response.”  One of these days…my mom’s words are actually going to kick in!  The author here doesn’t sugarcoat anything…but you probably got that from the title.  She tells it like it is and then encourages you to put in the hard work toward changing your mindset; she also tells you that she’ll be right there behind you.  This is a must-read for young women setting out to take on the world!
This is perfect, I loved every minute of it!It was so helpful!Her words are powerful and it helped me a lot!I'm not a mother so some of the stuff there were here wasn't for me but all the other were very important!Rachel inspires me with her words, she gives you the encouragement you need to go on!There were some funny and emotional parts in Girl Wash Your Face!I loved that she gives details of her personal life to make to the point where she tells you what you must start doing for yourself! This is a must read, if you are looking for a book that will help you start thinking differently and taking your life in your own hands this is perfect!!
Sister friend! If you have ever had any type of pain or hardship keeping you from living your best life and you need some encouragement and a fire under your tushy, Get this Book!
I’m not a wife or a mother, I’m not particularly religious or the type of person a lifestyle blog is aimed at. I didn’t have a rough childhood; tragedy has not been something I’m intimately familiar with. On the surface, Rachel Hollis and I have very little in common, but her words resonated with me just the same. I was even able to connect with what she was saying in the chapters geared more towards wives and mothers.

Girl, Wash Your Face is an empowering read that I would recommend to all women, no matter what they’ve got going on in their lives. I had the honor of meeting Rachel at a writer’s conference last September. I got some much needed one on one time with her and have truly felt more motivated since that day than I have in years. Reading Girl, Wash Your Face has amped up that feeling tenfold. Even though it was late when I finished the book, all I wanted to do was get up and do all the things, write, exercise, be the best me I can be.

I highly recommend this book. You’ll laugh, you might even cry, but you’ll definitely come out the other side determined to become a better version of yourself.