Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

It’s not uncommon for me to read two books at once. Usually, I read a non-fiction during the day and fiction at night. I’m about to start Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. I am always looking for a good book full of wise and sage advice and this book definitely doles it out.

Here’s what you need to know:

Founder of the lifestyle website TheChicSite.com and CEO of her own media company, Chic Media, Rachel Hollis has created an online fan base of hundreds of thousands of fans by sharing tips for living a better life while fearlessly revealing the messiness of her own. Now comes her highly anticipated first book featuring her signature combination of honesty, humor, and direct, no-nonsense advice.

Each chapter of Girl, Wash Your Face begins with a specific lie Hollis once believed that left her feeling overwhelmed, unworthy, or ready to give up. As a working mother, a former foster parent, and a woman who has dealt with insecurities about her body and relationships, she speaks with the insight and kindness of a BFF, helping women unpack the limiting mind-sets that destroy their self-confidence and keep them from moving forward.

From her temporary obsession with marrying Matt Damon to a daydream involving hypnotic iguanas to her son’s request that she buy a necklace to “be like the other moms,” Hollis holds nothing back. With unflinching faith and tenacity, Hollis spurs other women to live with passion and hustle and to awaken their slumbering goals.
I have already recommended this book to multiple friends and even people I don't really know!  This book was exactly what I needed to read.  It made me reflect and I also felt like I had my own cheerleader while reading this.  I loved the humor, I loved the positivity and I loved feeling that I deserve the best version of myself.  Great read and something I will be buying for friends and family.
Although I’m not familiar with the author, I enjoyed reading this book. Rachel’s expression of writing is very witty, inspirational and motivating. Her honesty about herself gives light to others, listening to the same lies.
An entertaining and easy read.  I was unfamiliar with the author and her website but will now start following her as I liked her writing style and what she had to say. Motivating and inspirational but not preachy, with lots of raw honesty.  I did not like the several negative mentions of medication, as if it’s bad to be on medication, however, I get where she’s coming from in a holistic way.  I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.  #netgalley
Good solid advice with a touch of the funny and witty! I love this author's blog and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book! I hope she continues to put her thoughts to paper!
I couldn't read the electronic copy of Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis I received to review because of the constant barrage of DO NOT DUPLICATE and COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL notes on the text so, unfortunately, I won't be reviewing the book.

Thank you.
Wendy Ward
Founder of The Chic Site and also a face from YouTube, Rachel is a woman whom has tips to share that we can all take away from her humorous yet insightful book.

Drawing on her own life experiences, Rachel talks of things we can all do differently to appreciate and lead happier lives. From simple things like stopping comparing ourselves and working on loving ourselves as we uniquely are, to making time for a self date and doing one thing and making it a habit, each step she points out is a winner and obviously creates a happier self at the end of the day.

Talking about bad experiences she's had to live through, Rachel is honest and open with us about how struggles can be set backs but not full stops and there's always something good awaiting us if we just focus, get some perspective and never give up on positivity in how we think over situations and not just just straight to the negative.

Rachel talks through the book as if you're friends mulling over life with hilarious incidents discussed and mulled over, it makes a for an interestingly helpful life guide and read!

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review this book for them!
I was previously unaware of Rachel Hollis but am glad to now be exposed to her insight and humanity. As women we so often put ourselves down and incorporate unrealistic expectations from the outside world.  Ms. Hollis has written a welcome and useful book to answer those lies. She is also very funny!  Recommended.

My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book was fantastic! I can't wait to share it with my readers because I think its a book they will love!
I was kindly sent this ARC by NetGalley and the publisher. I unfortunately did not enjoy or even finish the entire book. I was surprised to see that this was published by a well known Christian publisher. I found Hollis’ musings uncomfortable to read and she rarely referenced God or the Bible.

I am by no means a prude, but I think that we all could have done without reading about her sex life. Married woman or not. Also, her approach to body imagine and dieting was, frankly, appalling. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Rachel Hollis brings some real talk in this self help book that focuses on the lies that women tell themselves when convincing ourselves that we aren't good enough. Hollis is really easy to relate to, and it helps that she shares stories about herself that many would find embarrassing. I found myself connecting to so many of the "lies", especially the "I'll just start tomorrow" mentality. Hollis also does a great job at keeping things lighthearted, and overall, this is a really empowering read.
I just finished reading Rachel Hollis's Girl, Wash Your Face. I received a copy from Thomas Nelson, because - clearly - Book Reviewer is the best job ever.

For those who don't know her, Rachel is the creative and business powerhouse behind The Chic Site, an awesome blog and portal for women. She has a recipe for Caramel Fudge Topped Guinness Brownies up on the site right now, so obviously she is amazing.

While this book is billed as a Christian memoir, it's not preachy in any way. She's a big tent Christian a la Jen Hatmaker, and is as inclusive as it gets. Even if you are not a Christian, I think you will find it encouraging.

Hollis - who has also written several novels and a cookbook -  writes as she blogs, with a frank, conversational style. She treats her reader like a long-lost best girlfriend with whom she is catching up with over coffee or a glass of wine.

I always hate it when people who are younger than me seem so wise, but she is the real deal. On the one hand, she runs a successful company, is married to a Disney exec, and lives in Bel Air with her beautiful family (and occasionally goes to the Oscars.) On the other hand, she wrestles with everyday doubts and hassles just like the rest of us. Her candidness and her sense of humour is her secret sauce.

Hollis has had a few harder-than-average knocks in her life, which, quite frankly, are what give her such credibility. As a child, she had to deal with the trauma of her brother's suicide and the subsequent unravelling of her family. She's also faced an unbelievably hard road to adopting her daughter, Noah. Though all this, she clings to joy, writing: "this is what it boils down to: faith. The belief that your life will unfold as it was meant to, even when it unfolds into something painful and difficult to navigate." Her trials have not made her bitter and have made her more grateful for what she has.

The subtitle of the books is Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Be Who You Were Meant to Be. Her book walks through 20 common lies that keep us from being our best and happiest and offers tips on what helped her stop believing these lies herself. With chapters ranging from I Need a Drink, to I Am Defined by My Weight, to I'm Not Good Enough, she tackles a lot of taboo subjects that hold so many women back. If you've been struggling in your life, this book is a gift.

Like any good coach or trainer, she is great at giving the reader the proverbial kick in the pants. No matter what terrible things have befallen you, she wants you to move on: "You are a warrior because of the trials you are going through, but don't you dare squander the strength you have earned just because the acquisition of it was painful."

For me, the game changing sentence was this one: "What if none of it was happening to you. What if all of it was happening for you." She talks about the power of a perceptual shift to get you from feeling defeated by your trials, to gaining strength from them. It's a bold statement and one she can only make because she has walked this path herself. If the worst thing that happened to her was that her kitchen reno went over budget or her kid got cut from the soccer team, those would be fighting words.

But she's gone through the fire. And has made it through to the other side, hanging onto joy with sometimes clenched fists. She is proof that every day can be an opportunity to pick yourself up, get unstuck, and start to work on your dreams. As she writes: "Every year, you close a new chapter in your story. Please, please, please don't write the same one seventy-five times and call it a life."

Amen to that.
I first heard about Rachel Hollis through a FB post by Susanne Kearsley (whose work I LOVE) and so off I went to check out the link to this new book! Wow! You guys, as far as I am concerned EVERY woman needs to read this book.

Rachel's raw, funny and real sharing of what she has been through and how she has overcome the lies that she believed is refreshing and wonderfully enlightening! I'm pretty sure that every woman can relate to at least one if not more of the lies we believe about ourselves and Rachel's driving message is that you get to choose how to make change happen. You get to choose a better future and to embrace and reach for the truth. The struggles we as women face are real. I found Girl, Wash Your Face to be full of hope and straight talk.

Whether you have got it all together, or you are hanging on for dear life, this book is a must read!

Thanks to Rachel for her bravery and honesty.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and my opinions are my own.
Not really a Christian book more like a self help/motivational one. While her stories and tips are good there’s too much of how she was able to do everything and not enough God.
I picked this up because I’m a huge fan of Rachel Hollis, though that’s her fiction rather than her lifestyle website. So this work of self-help was new territory for me, but I was quickly relieved to find her amazing humor was still there.
This book feels like a bunch of blog posts, which for all I know is true. At the beginning there’s a section on the true but tired platitude of taking care of yourself before you help others, which by now is so overused it’s hardly a new concept. She does manage to weave several points together, which does help.
This would have been just as good without all the religious stuff thrown in. I feel the earnestness; I don’t believe anything written here is less than genuine. But I can’t be sure if that belief is there because I’m a big fan of her previous works. Nevertheless, it’s more than worthwhile reading for those who aren’t familiar with her Girl series and have no preconceived notions.
3.5 pushed up to 4/5
I read Rachel's book over a couple weeks (holiday chaos got in the way). After the New Year, I'll be sitting down for a reread to make sure I've absorbed all of her message. I underlined, highlighted, and bookmarked more pages in this book than any in the past. So many quotes and pieces of advice that I plan to set into motion in my day to day life from this book. I'm thankful that I was able to read this early and start 2018 with the mindset that I Can Do It!!! This book has given me hope and a feeling that I've been missing for a long time.
This book is listed under the Christian Living section on amazon. While it definitely has a faith side to it, it is in no way 'preachy'. I didn't feel like religion was being shoved down my throat at any time. I consider myself a mostly liberal person, and also a Christian, and only disagreed with a couple of Rachel's opinions. But she doesn't linger on any one thing for an extended time so I quickly moved past it and on to another good point that will affect my life for the better.
Thank you, Rachel, for writing a book full of honesty, humor, realness, and heart. I could feel your words throughout the entire book and just want to give you a huge hug!
I love this book. As a fan of Rachel Hollis, I found this book to exceed my expectations. She is honest and real, providing advice that hit close to home on several instances. It's incredible to see a successful woman who is also vulnerable. I highly recommend this read. (Especially on audiobook!)

* Thank you to Netgalley for providing an ARC!
I'm not going to publicly review this book, because it wasn't for me.
First of all, I adore Rachel Hollis.  I've read her fiction books and I follow her on social media.  While I went into this book somewhat knowing what to expect, I was blown away by how much it spoke to me!  Even the parts of the book that I didn't think really applied to me or my life, somehow made perfect sense and seemed to be speaking right to me.

I really think every woman should read this book.  It is listed as Christian reading, and there is mention of Rachel's beliefs/God/religion, but it is not "preachy" or pushy at all.

This is a book that I will read over and over again, and will likely gift to every woman in my circle of family/friends.
Rachel writes about several issues women face, in an honest and open way.