Cover Image: Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face

I have read the author's blog and other books in the past, so I was eager to read this first non-fiction book.  It was refreshingly honest and covered many topics (lies) that women deal with. I particularly liked the chapter called "I should be further along by now".  Some words of wisdom from that chapter - "Turns out, the most beautiful things in my life were never on my to-do list." and "God has perfect timing, and it's highly possible that by not being were you thought you should be, you will end up exactly where you need to go."

I received a copy of this via NetGalley.
"A caterpillar is awesome, but if the caterpillar stopped there--if she just decided that good is good enough--we would all miss out on the beautiful creature she would become."

This book is meant to be contemplated and devoured. Rachel takes on so many topics that are pertinent for many mom's out there. And as a working mom that tries to do it all I felt particularly connected to several of Rachel's stories that paralleled mine in so many ways. As a follower of Rachel's Chic Site I was floored to learn what all was going on behind the scenes of Rachel's adoption experiences. Rachel made me laugh, tear up and take a closer look at my own life.

"Comparison is the death of joy, and the only person you need to be better than is the one you were yesterday."

***Copy obtained from Thomas Nelson Books via Netgalley***
Oh my….I NEEDED to read this book.  In fact, even though I was exhausted, I pulled two very long nights and finished it quickly (not really what I should have done…given the premise of the book itself!).  Rachel Hollis may be a superstar, but her’s was a new name for me, so I came into this without any preconceived notions of what to expect.  The chapters are outlined based on the lies we tell ourselves; things such as, “I’ll start tomorrow,” “I’m not good enough,” and my personal favorite, “I should be further along by now.”  The book is aimed at moms who are bouncing around through all of the arenas of life right now…work, home, motherhood, life in general…and trying to do it all, while feeling like they’re accomplishing nothing.  The author uses real-life stories, infusing the tragedy with tons of humor, and really feels very easy to relate to.  She basically says what my mother has always said, “you can’t control those around you, or the things that happen in life; you can only control your response.”  One of these days…my mom’s words are actually going to kick in!  The author here doesn’t sugarcoat anything…but you probably got that from the title.  She tells it like it is and then encourages you to put in the hard work toward changing your mindset; she also tells you that she’ll be right there behind you.  This is a must-read for young women setting out to take on the world!
This is perfect, I loved every minute of it!It was so helpful!Her words are powerful and it helped me a lot!I'm not a mother so some of the stuff there were here wasn't for me but all the other were very important!Rachel inspires me with her words, she gives you the encouragement you need to go on!There were some funny and emotional parts in Girl Wash Your Face!I loved that she gives details of her personal life to make to the point where she tells you what you must start doing for yourself! This is a must read, if you are looking for a book that will help you start thinking differently and taking your life in your own hands this is perfect!!
Sister friend! If you have ever had any type of pain or hardship keeping you from living your best life and you need some encouragement and a fire under your tushy, Get this Book!
I’m not a wife or a mother, I’m not particularly religious or the type of person a lifestyle blog is aimed at. I didn’t have a rough childhood; tragedy has not been something I’m intimately familiar with. On the surface, Rachel Hollis and I have very little in common, but her words resonated with me just the same. I was even able to connect with what she was saying in the chapters geared more towards wives and mothers.

Girl, Wash Your Face is an empowering read that I would recommend to all women, no matter what they’ve got going on in their lives. I had the honor of meeting Rachel at a writer’s conference last September. I got some much needed one on one time with her and have truly felt more motivated since that day than I have in years. Reading Girl, Wash Your Face has amped up that feeling tenfold. Even though it was late when I finished the book, all I wanted to do was get up and do all the things, write, exercise, be the best me I can be.

I highly recommend this book. You’ll laugh, you might even cry, but you’ll definitely come out the other side determined to become a better version of yourself.