Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Rachel's personality is very entertaining and had me hooked from the beginning. I love how real she is and I really enjoyed this book! She is so motivating and helps inspire me to do better!
I loved this! Rachel Hollis is so real and in your face when she needs to be. This isn't incredibly in depth self help, but a fun and super realistic take on bettering yourself.
I really enjoyed this book. It is an honest telling of Rachel's story and truth. It does not relate perfectly to my story and truth but no one's story will ever do that which is why I think some people did not rate this book very highly. There are so many truths in the book that I think all individuals (not just women) can and should hear and apply to themselves in whatever manner makes sense for them. The book has motivated me to reflect on my life and decide what I want to do to look back in 5 years and see progress that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. I think that is really the point of this book and possible for anyone willing to look for that for themselves.
I had heard a lot about this book - and it seems like many people liked it.  I however couldn't finish it.  It came across as very trite and somewhat shallow.  I didn't think it had a whole lot of substance, and I wasn't a fan of all the mentions of Christianity and how it's important to happiness.  It just wasn't for me.
Love Love Love this book and I can totally understand why it is so much of a hit. It is everything and explains her struggles and how she accomplished what she wanted in a way that lets you know that you can too.
Just not a title for me, felt a bit too cliche and bite-size. I wondered whether this was meant to feel like a mantra for a generation of girls or if it was Rachel’s true advice to young women. It felt very instagrammable and frankly quite white. I know she’s very popular and therefore it makes sense that she continues to write tidbits like this, but I wonder about whether the books are truly genuine.  Because of this I had trouble reading much of the book.

I have to fill this with one hundred words, but I feel like I’ve said enough in this review.

Okay, so, a friend of mine was reading this book and recommended it to me. I saw it here and jumped at the chance to read it.
I did not like it one bit. I know Harper Collins has published this book and so I figured, it would be phenomenal. Anyway, it's good pop advice for sure but it's hard to actually take that advice to heart.
It's a little like Lean In, when people with certain privileges give advice it's hard to take it all in and actually work with it.
Thank you to @Netgalley for this free read in exchange for an honest opinion. I have to admit that I had absolutely no idea who @msrachelhollis was but something about the cover and the name really intrigued me. So I went into the book with an open mind, hoping for even just a little bit of inspiration for my life. Not that there is anything wrong with my life or how I look or any of that business...but I do like to read self help-ish books in general because they allow me to see things in more positive ways if I get down. This book personally did not disappoint me but I can see that the reviews were either very positive or very negative when it comes to this book. I'm really not sure why...I really liked it and I am walking away from it with some positive messages. I loved how each chapter started with a lie she had believed and each chapter ended with what helped her see that lie for what it was. I would absolutely read more of her work and I would recommend this book to anyone who liked to be more positive when it comes to life. Especially people who have also believed lies about themselves.

I would like to point out, however, that the kindle book I was sent was FULL of errors...I have a screenshot if somebody would like to see what I am talking about but when I say errors, I am speaking of the words DO NOT DUPLICATE over and over and over mixed in with the text along with the words MATERIAL COPYRIGHTED. It made it very hard to read because the words would all be mixed up and every now and then some numbers would be thrown in. Some parts seemed to be missing altogether. The book itself was great and I would totally recommended it...
This was a difficult book to get through and finish - which is why I didn't finish it.

I guess I was looking for something deeper and more profound instead of cookie cutter wisdom and quotes. Hollis fills the book with far too much Christian speak without providing any real depth to her content.

I found the examples of material things being symbols of success and happiness to be incredibly shallow and only confirmed my feeling that she was out of touch with the general population of women - If I include the continual body image shame, then we have the definition of intolerance and the antithesis of uplifting.
Very interesting book. Full of insight and advice. A little out of my element, but I have heard good feedback from others.
I did not enjoy this book. The author's tone did not read authentically to me, and her advice seemed rather suited to her own life experiences than useful or effective at large.
I had been hearing so much about “ Girl, Wash Your Face”  by Rachel Hollis that I was super excited to dig in. I was waiting for some sound, motivational advice. Sadly, that was not what I received. Instead, what I got was someone talking down to me in an overly preachy manner. The author obviously has never had any major setbacks or problems in her life. I did not find it inspiring in the least. I’m a Christian but I’m not white, I’m not wealthy, I’m not  thin or able to be boxed in. All of these make up a great portion of this book and leaves no room for anything else. A very ignorant outlook on life that belittles the reader. I would not and do not recommend.

* I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this book.  I was interested in checking out what all the buzz was about.  It was a quick read with some chapters that spoke to me, and a few that didn’t. The advice was generally not earth-shattering, but it’s always a nice reminder to give yourself a little grace.  Rachel is no doubt a motivated person and she offers life notations with uplifting vibes.

Overall, I am really glad I read this book. Rachel’s drive, persistence, and motivation are an inspiration.
I was not impressed with the writing, nor did I feel like the advice was researched or valid. There were generic all encompassing mantras without giving depth to issues that were seemingly being addressed.
I had been hearing about this book and was very interested in reading it. I have been a fan of Rachel Hollis and I feel like she wrote this book in a realistic way. She breaks down the lies that she believed about herself so that the reader can identify with them.

There are several things that I am taking away from this book and using in my daily life. I felt drawn to some of her stories and enjoyed the underlying religious aspects. There were several things that I didn’t enjoy about this book. I felt like there was a lot of humble  bragging (Mentioning something once or twice is sufficient.) and I had some issue with decisions that she made regarding an abusive situation, but I also try to keep in mind that it is her life and her choice and it is working for her.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoy Rachel and I look forward to reading her next book.
I decided not to read this book after coming across and reading a detailed article titled "Why not to read Girl, Wash Your Face". I didn't intentionally look for it, but I was typing "reasons why not to read..." and the book was the first suggestion google offered me, and curious as I was, I clicked and read the article. It was very thorough and quoted from this book to prove certain points, so, with total certainty, I can say I won't enjoy this book as much as I should to make the effort to read it.

I was expecting to find general advice like "you shouldn't believe the lies of the beauty industry" and stuff like that, but after finding out what the book is really about, I am simply not gonna invest my time in reading something that's catered exclusively for middle-class white mums. I have already read a lot on the "chase your dreams" and "you can do anything" spectrum of self-help, so I don't really need more.

Honestly, if you want to take a good look at the message of the book, I recommend reading the article, and only if you see no problem with the core of ideas the author defends, then proceed to read the book.
Overall, I really liked this book! It's a positive message that I feel many women can relate to. No, I didn't agree with everything that the author said, but it was still a good book. I shared my full review on Goodreads.
For me, this book was part entertaining, part skimmable, part useful. It was useful in that some of Rachel’s guidance resonated with me and altered my often negative thought patterns so I found myself highlighting sentences on my Kindle for future reference to scribble into my journal for personal development.. I say the book was partly skimmable because as a mother of grown up children, no strong belief in God and having never been much of a career chaser I wasn’t quite so drawn to parts of the book as other readers might be. It has to be said though, that references to God we’re not off putting in any way. Lastly, it was entertaining, the author has an inviting writing style which makes her book easy and enjoyable to read. I’m grateful to NetGalley and publisher for providing a digital copy for me to review.
I had seen Rachel's books on book lists for a while now.  I saw her name pop up online but I hadn't been bothered to check her out.  This January I started a weight loss challenge and one night I found myself looking for some inspiration.  I can't remember the exact quote I stumbled upon but the jest of it was that what I want right now is not more important than my bigger dream/goal.  It's a quote that I have used for months now.  I want to stay home and not go to gym - not part of my goal.  I want to eat a Timbit - not going to get me to my goal.

Girl, Stop Apologizing is a book that women will find a chapter that they can relate to. Rachel's writing is funny and casual like a conversation.  Topics range from weight, religion, friendships, children and more.  She's not afraid to get uncomfortable and tackle some tough topics either.

If you are looking for some inspiration or someone to let you know you don't have to regret that choice from last year you are still questioning then pick up Girl, Stop Apologizing at Chapters today.
If a book ever felt like coffee with your best friend this is that kind of book. Girl Wash Your Face sounds like it’d be a beauty book about facial cleansing products, but it’s more than reminding you to keep beautified. Rachel talks about the lies we’ve believed as women socially and within the church. She also, shares stories from her life that aren’t easy to publicly talk about. Some of the topics she tackles are: contentment, sex, motherhood, body image, and so, much more.

Rachel, to me, comes across through her book as one of those pretty, put together ladies who looks all coiffed and perfect, but I know she’s like all of us with everyday struggles. I can understand her love of Los Angeles and California in general. There’s something about Hollywood that has a dreamy, fairytale appeal. I’ve been in the audience of a kid’s show when I was in grade school. That experience ripped off my rose colored glasses on what the entertainment industry can be like. My dreams of acting got a rude wake up call. I can relate to her wanting a name brand purse because once I discovered Poshmark, watch out purse addiction. For some reason I fell in love with the brand Dagne Dover. Rachel goes beyond skin deep in what she personally shares.

I received a complimentary digital copy of Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis from Thomas Nelson via NetGalley. The views expressed are of my own accord and mine only. I enjoyed this book so much I bought myself a physical copy to keep. This book is a short read, but full of a lot of empowerment. I can’t wait to go read her novels she wrote. Keep up writing Rachel. I want to read more of your work.