Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I had never heard of Rachel Hollis before picking up this book (I must have been living under a rock since she apparently has a huge following). Some of the sections of this book really resonated with me while others fell flat. I enjoyed her writing style and that she told the reader what worked for her and therefore what might work for them but never claimed to know it all or to have all the answers. I'm not sure I'll pick up any of her other titles though.
Unfortunately, this book was just not for me. Besides the fact that there are claims of plagiarism, this book reeked of white privilege. I just couldn't get into this to believe her enough to be impacted by the book.
I loved this book! Rachel is so inspiration and down-to-earth. She really gets it and speaks to the audience in a straight forward, no nonsense way but with enough humor that you fall in love with her and her family! A great read. I can't wait to read her next book!
This was okay in terms of self-help reads; I've read better ones but also have read worse.

Pros:

My favorite part of this book was reading about Rachel's experiences and stories. I really connected to her experiences and like how she tied personal stories to the advice she was given. I also like how Rachel radiates positivity.

Cons:

I did not get too much out of the advice Rachel was giving, mostly because I've heard most of it before. I agree with a lot of it but I don't feel like this book brought anything new to the table. This might be a good book for people starting out reading self-help books. I do not recommend it for someone who reads a lot of them.
I don't enjoy being told what to do, honestly! I also find that Mrs Hollis's beliefs are not my own and this book did not help me in any way. Not to mention, only if you come from a similar sphere like her, where people have access to most everything they want will you relate to her. I don't so I didn't.
Did not finish. Do not like the writing style, or the opinions of the author. Very contradictory and belittling. Unenlightening. Shame-ridden. Terrible assumptions about mental health.
This book was recieved as a complimentary copy from Thomas Nelson through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Such a wonderful book written by a wonderful woman. We all need to be reminded of this from time to time and I absolutely love it when the author shares personal stories with the reader and immediately connecting to the reader like we are having a casual conversation. This is a wonderful book to read when you are feeling down, your day is just not going right or you need some more positivity in your life! This is definitely getting 5 stars from me!

We will consider adding this to our self-help collection at the library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
"Girl, wash your face" is an interesting book. Written by a very successful working mother and wife, is the perfect book if you need some motivation and inspiration in your life. Rachel Hollis is a good writer and I really enjoyed all the personal stories that she shares in her book. It is an easy read and it leaves you with the feeling that you just went for a coffee with a good friend. In the book, she shares 20 lies that we tell ourselves and shares specific points on how she helped herself to overcome them.
I didn't find the ideas in her book very original but I admire that she tries so hard to empower women and motivate them to reach for the stars.
This book was such a fun read! It was full of humor and wit, and very educational. It opened my mind to so may things I never thought about. I just loved it!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
This was an interesting book. I thought the information presented was well laid out and flowed well. I really enjoyed reading it and want to try and start implementing some of what I read.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with the ARC. This book was phenomenal! You can tell she is witty, knowledgeable, down to earth, and yet she knows what she wants and is talking about. She had great advice and tips and I totally related to this book! Will read all of her stuff in the future!!!
I wanted to hate this book, but I didn't. It was popular, still is, and people talk about it all the time. When I read the beginning, I hated it. I mean, who talks about peeing themselves? Not this girl. But the fact that the author has the galls to talk about something so personal like losing her brother to suicide, makes me want to read more. So I read on, looking at the parts where she talked about living your life for you and no one else. I love the mantra of living life unapologetically. I tell this to people all the time. I'm re reading it to take more from the book. Thank you for allowing me to review.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book by Rachel Hollis.  It’s my first book that I read by her and I highly recommend it.  No spoilers.  This book hit home with me on certain things and I am so happy I read it.  It’s full of insure and advice. Worth the read. #GirlwashyourFace
Not a terrible book. I know a lot of people who have found it helpful. Not being a parent or wanting to start a business, it wasn't really for me.
I had just a few small issues with Girl, Wash Your Face. The first (and most major) issue was that the editors didn’t seem to place all of the stories so well throughout the book. There were several pieces that seemed out of order that could’ve easily been fixed by rearranging chapters. It would’ve also removed some of the repetitiveness of Rachel’s ideas.

The second issue that bothered me was Rachel Hollis’ “I’m so awesome. This worked for me so it’s going to work for all of you” vibe. As a motivational writer, I completely understand the need to put her best self forward to influence her readers, but at the same time it often came off as pushy and inauthentic.

I’ve discussed in-depth some of the motives behind this book with some of my close friends. There were some resounding pieces that stuck with each of us that I believe should be noted for you!

If we make promises to other people, why can’t we keep promises to ourselves? If you set a goal for yourself, you are promising yourself that you are going to accomplish that task. Maybe its a goal as simple as drinking 100oz of water a day. When you don’t keep up with a goal that you’ve set forward for yourself, you are breaking a promise to yourself.
Remember that you as a human are doing awesome. You cannot base your day on every little thing exceeding expectations. You don’t have to love what you’re doing every second of every day, but remember that you are human and you are doing your very best.
My biggest take away was the promises you make to yourself are the promises you should keep. Typically you make promises to a friend, you keep them. Why is it so easy to break a promise to yourself?
I think that this book is one that either you like or you don't. And for once I'm in the don't category, the tone of the book just hit me all wrong. Also from what I read in this book I didn't really learn anything new, it was all things that I already knew. So if you are interested in reading this book I highly recommend getting a copy from the library first and if you are one that really enjoys it then go get your own copy.
Rachel's personality is very entertaining and had me hooked from the beginning. I love how real she is and I really enjoyed this book! She is so motivating and helps inspire me to do better!
I loved this! Rachel Hollis is so real and in your face when she needs to be. This isn't incredibly in depth self help, but a fun and super realistic take on bettering yourself.
I really enjoyed this book. It is an honest telling of Rachel's story and truth. It does not relate perfectly to my story and truth but no one's story will ever do that which is why I think some people did not rate this book very highly. There are so many truths in the book that I think all individuals (not just women) can and should hear and apply to themselves in whatever manner makes sense for them. The book has motivated me to reflect on my life and decide what I want to do to look back in 5 years and see progress that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. I think that is really the point of this book and possible for anyone willing to look for that for themselves.
I had heard a lot about this book - and it seems like many people liked it.  I however couldn't finish it.  It came across as very trite and somewhat shallow.  I didn't think it had a whole lot of substance, and I wasn't a fan of all the mentions of Christianity and how it's important to happiness.  It just wasn't for me.