Jar of Hearts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jun 2018

Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy of this amazing thriller!!! One of the best I have read in a long time. Jennifer Hillier's other books were just added to my "to-read" list!
This was an intense rollercoaster of a read.  The subject matter was very dark, but the author handled it well.  The characters were well-developed and the story was intriguing.  I enjoyed it.
This book truly held on to me until the end.  It was twisty enough that I was mostly surprised.  There was one twist that I saw coming, but the way it was done kept me reading.  I will read other books by this novelist!
This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who’s been searching for the truth all these years…..

That is the line that first drew me into this story and it is followed up by a compelling if somewhat damp, dark and twisted tale of: friendship, new love, betrayal, duplicity and murder.

The protagonist, Geo ( Georgina) Shaw, is not very likeable. She is in fact about to go to prison for the part she played in the murder of her then best friend Angela Wong some fourteen years ago. A sordid secret she has held onto all these years.

Truth is, Hillier’s ability to invest the reader in such an unsavoury character is but one of the many talents on display here and even though this was a slow start I soon found myself chasing the lure, wanting to know more and even though I had to shelve belief a couple of times along the way, still I took the bait and ran.

I would like to thank St, Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, NetGalley and Jennifer Hillier for an opportunity to read this book.
I’ll admit that I had a bit of trouble getting in to this one at the beginning (although, to be fair, that could have been a “me” problem), but once it got going I didn’t want to put it down! This was an awesome thriller, that included some interesting twists that actually surprised me in a place or two! I definitely recommend this for you thriller fans!
What a book!  Full of twists and turns kept me in suspense, wanting to know more.  Quite a chilling storyline and something you hope to never encounter.  However, was justice really served by all?  I recommend this book!
Not your typical thriller that kept you engaged through out the entire book. I loved it from beginning to end and highly recommend it to other readers.
wWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I had some trouble getting into Jar of Hearts but I kept reading. I found myself skimming through some parts that seemed to have more information than I wanted to know. As I got to the middle of the book I was more interested in what was going to happen. The ending had a twist that I wasn't expecting which made it all worthwhile. #JarOfHearts #NetGalley
UNPUTDOWNABLE!!!

Holy crap! Addicting, chilling, and completely thrilling right from the very beginning!!!

One of the best thrillers I HAVE EVER READ!

Jar of Hearts left me gasping out loud! Jaw dropping anticipation. Edge of your seat goodness!

I’m buying more Jennifer Hillier books ASAP! Definitely a new favorite.
Good Lord, what a ride. I had to detox from this book, it was so gripping and emotionally exhausting. However, I don't regret it. Talk about guilty pleasures! More of this!
Calvin James and Geo have a complicated relationship. He's a serial killer, and she's been doing time for a murder he committed. The murder of her best friend.

The story begins when Geo is sentenced to 5 years for the murder of her best friend, Angela, as she covered up Calvin's crime when she was 16 years old. The dynamic between Angela and Geo comes to life as flashbacks throughout the story take us back in time to when Geo first met Calvin, and what happened that fateful day. I'm a flashback lover, so I particularly enjoyed these scenes. When Calvin escapes prison (which we don't find out how, so this was a tiny flag that didn't settle well with me), Detective Kaiser takes the case. More murders are happening, imitating Calvin's MO, and they seem to be aimed at Geo.

Then there is Geo's history with the Kaiser. A nice touch, since the ending brings this full circle.

Overall, an engaging read, although one major plot hole bugged me, and without giving away spoilers, it had to do with Calvin's adopted children--the latest victims. Calvin's past relationships would have had to be public knowledge, which they weren't, so how those victims were targeted is a mystery we don't get answers to, but it's essential to the plot. Though, this doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the book, so it still gets a solid 4 stars.
The synopsis gives you all the details you need to know about the book. As for my personal thoughts, I can give you this: I couldn’t connect to any of the characters, although Geo’s experiences made my quite sympathetic to her situation. Also, I felt that most of the violence in the book was gratuitous and the twists weren't so amazing, but rather predictable.

I think this can be quite a good read for a metro/bus/train/airplane ride.
I have read a lot of adult psychological thrillers and crime novels. It's one of my all time favorite genres, and it's exploded in the past couple of years to my delight. And Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier is hands down THE BEST thriller I have ever read. And I have read some really good ones. The main character is Georgina Shaw who is harboring a dark secret. In the first chapter we are thrust into her life-- she has become super successful in her career and of course that is the moment she is arrested for the murder of her best friend, Angela Wong, who disappeared when they were teenagers. Turns out Georgina's boyfriend at the time has since become a serial killer and Georgina helped him cover up his crime. The story shifts to prison, where Georgina serves her time, and feels in many ways like Orange is the New Black. But the story evolves from there and her relationships with those from in her past and now in the present as the two come together and crescendo with reveals coming first slowly then more quickly and evenly until the story ends in the only way it can. The pacing is terrific, the setting and viewpoints are moody and mature, and I had to stay up to find out what happened in the end. While some may have figured out the ending ahead of time, for the most part, I closed my mind because the story, the characters, and the prose were so damned good, and I gasped at each new reveal, and everything synthesized perfectly and made sense with what came before. I urge anyone who loves even a good book to pick this one up. You won't regret it.
What a mind thriller. There were so many twists and turns and I loved it. I couldn’t put it down and got so mad when I would fall asleep without finishing. I loved hearing the twisted love stories and the terrible things that happened.
I received an advancement is copy and exchange for an honest review. I love this book. This is one of the best psychological thrillers I’ve read in 2018. All of it was completely unexpected, I Slow Burn from an author I never heard of, but the story and the twists took over me and I could not put it down. Definitely recommend it
Totally twisted book in a very good way.
Lots of hidden secrets and surprises, I figured out a bunch of it before the twists were revealed, but that didn't make it a bad thing, it just made me anticipate how the author would write the scenes to reveal them.
I liked the scenes in prison at the beginning, they helped to give Geo more depth and made her more interesting. The ultimate conclusion is satisfying.
Hillier is an imaginative writer, and the Seattle setting is perfect for the story.
Highly recommended for mystery/suspense/thriller readers.
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read Jar of Hearts!
WOW. This was insane and I loved it. Tons of twists and turns.
This is a unique story of a woman that had been sent to prison for assisting a serial killer in the death of her best friend.  She is just getting out and there are bodies found with messages to her and it seems the serial killer is back.

This is my first read by Hillier.  I really enjoyed the characters because they were real, imperfect.  I would be interested in reading more from this author.
Wow, what a dark and twisty ride this one was!  Jennifer Hillier slowly exposes this story of murders past and present by switching back and forth between the present and the past.  Is there a plot hole or two?  Probably, but I’m okay with that because the overall story was so interesting and so well-told.  Hillier gives just enough clues to give the reader an inkling of what may have happened in the past, and what’s happening in the present, yet also pulls off a big surprise or two.  Overall, one of my most enjoyable reads in 2018.

Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books who provided a copy for an unbiased review.