Cover Image: Jar of Hearts

Jar of Hearts

This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who's been searching for the truth all these years.

Wow! What a chilling, dark, story from the talented Jennifer Hillier!
Geo, the main protagonist, is a woman for whom I wanted to have sympathy, but found it quite difficult. She, after all, went to prison for her role in the death of her best friend, Angela.

I truly enjoyed this one and was especially surprised at the twist near the very end. I will be looking for more books by Ms. Hillier. Highly recommended.
This book was a page turner right from the start. I had to finish it over two days flat. Kept me on the edge of my seat. A must read!
I'm really picky when it comes to this genre and tend to be very critical of it, but I enjoyed this book a lot. It was done really well.
Jennifer Hillier never disappoints & this one is delight; so engaging, pulled me right in, as all her books do. The characters had me pulled in from the het-go & I read it pretty fast. I look forward to the next one!
This is a super creepy book that I could not put down. I didn't know what was going to happen next and it had quite the surprise ending.
The actions of the characters in Jar of Hearts will thrill and horrify you, yet you will want to know more. I read this book that I couldn’t put down in less than a day. Someone would have had to rip my Kindle out of my hands to get it away from me. It’s a good thing no one attempted to do that.

Geo hooks up with the wrong kind of guy, the kind who controls you and takes over your entire life. Turns out he’s a serial killer, but he is usually so tender with Geo. Of course, he does hit her once in a while. And he does end up killing her best friend. For some reason, she doesn’t turn him in. Instead, she covers up for him. What happened? Did Geo have something to do with her murder?

Whether she was involved or not, guilt follows her everywhere she goes. When she is sent to prison for the cover-up and murder of her former best friend, relief washes over her. It is finally over. But is it? Life in prison is not a piece of cake and Geo has so much to learn in order to survive there. But nothing prepares her for what will happen once she gets out.

This book is full of suspense that won’t stop or even take a break. Almost on every page, some dark and horrible secret comes to life. Some of them you might have expected; most of them you won’t have had a clue were coming.

Despite the chilling suspense, many issues are covered throughout the course of this story: abuse, unplanned pregnancy, abortion, adoption, friendship. This riveting story will show you that your actions don’t always have the outcome you want them to.
5 stars! I couldn’t put this book down, it was so good! Hillier did an amazing job weaving the story together, creating flawed yet likeable characters, and keeping the reader guessing till the end.

Geo’s best friend Angela disappeared when they were sixteen without a trace. Fast forward 14 years –Angela’s remains are found in the woods behind Geo’s childhood home. Kaiser, a former childhood friend of Angela and Geo’s, is now a police officer who is in charge of handling the case. Everyone knows that Calvin James, Geo’s first love from high school and known serial killer committed the crime but Kaiser knows that Geo is hiding something, but what is it?

I received an advanced copy from Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books in exchange for an honest review.
This is a book with a difference.  I loved the blurb, but then wasn't at all S I started reading.  It is a gem, in the most depraved and evil form.  The author really is able to get into the mind of very sick individuals and does it so well.

Geo, Angela, and Kai are best friends at High School.  One night after a party, Angela goes missing.

Fast forward 14 years and Geo is arrested at work, the charge is an accomplice to murder.  She is a VP in a large pharmaceutical company in Seattle.  She is engaged to family member Andrew.  After the trial she is sentenced to 5 years.

She only has her father onside, and he waits for her release.  Back in her childhood home, she meets a lot of aggression and hostility from locals. The only other person who can bring themselves to speak to her is old school friend Kai who is now a serving cop.

The story goes to and forth over the years describing 3 more women who are murdered and that her ex-boyfriend, Calvin, who absconded from prison.  Just before Geo is released another two bodies are found, in much the same way as Angela was found.

I cannot divulge much more but suffice to say that this is a psychological thriller that will have you gripped.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
A real page turner!  I love psychological thrillers and Hiller does not disappoint.  This is a book that I could not put down.  A real twist of a plot which discusses whether or not one thing we do defines us.  Highly recommended.
This book really sucked me in and I read it in two sittings. The foreshadowing was done well and I was actually shocked by the plot twists. In the beginning, I thought it was just going to be another Orange is the New Black type of story. Rich lady goes to prison years after getting caught up with the wrong person. I’m thankful that it turned out to be much more than that.  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Many thanks go to Jennifer Hillier, Minotaur, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review. Geo and Angela were best friends growing up. Angela was murdered by the Sweetbay Strangler. Geo watched. She knew and didn't tell. So now she's going to be punished. She loses her rich fiancé; she loses her job. Her other friend, Kaiser, is the police officer in charge of the case. When she's let of jail and moves back home, Kaiser stays in touch. He has to as Geo is being terrorized by the community. And her memories. And that's when the story gets juicy! I loved the dynamics of this story! It was creepy and heartless and morbid, but still so good. I wanted to hate it on principle, but nope nothing doing! So many plot twists, some that could be seen coming, but it didn't matter. It was still an excellent plot. Great job Hillier!
I had high hopes for this book but felt it very difficult to feel any sympathy for Geo. She brought all of her issues on herself and was a willing participant (mostly) to the crimes committed. I wish they had told some of the viewpoint from Calvin which might have added to the book.
This was a beautifully written novel! I would recommend this to anyone who wants an easy and beautiful read. I read it all in one sitting because I did not want to put it down.
I love how this novel developed and the turning points in it. I am excited to read other Jennifer HIllier works in the future! I'm so excited to buy an actual copy of this VERY soon. This cover is also so BEAUTIFUL!
Jar of Hearts was a wonderful suspense thriller that I did not want to put down. It held my interest all the way through with so many twists and turns. The climactic moment was predictable, but there was even a twist after that, so I was not disappointed. I immediately searched for the author online, hoping this wasn't her debut novel, because I wanted to read more from her! I was so happy to find she has several other books already, one of which I am now reading.
Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy of this amazing thriller!!! One of the best I have read in a long time. Jennifer Hillier's other books were just added to my "to-read" list!
This was an intense rollercoaster of a read.  The subject matter was very dark, but the author handled it well.  The characters were well-developed and the story was intriguing.  I enjoyed it.
This book truly held on to me until the end.  It was twisty enough that I was mostly surprised.  There was one twist that I saw coming, but the way it was done kept me reading.  I will read other books by this novelist!
This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who’s been searching for the truth all these years…..

That is the line that first drew me into this story and it is followed up by a compelling if somewhat damp, dark and twisted tale of: friendship, new love, betrayal, duplicity and murder.

The protagonist, Geo ( Georgina) Shaw, is not very likeable. She is in fact about to go to prison for the part she played in the murder of her then best friend Angela Wong some fourteen years ago. A sordid secret she has held onto all these years.

Truth is, Hillier’s ability to invest the reader in such an unsavoury character is but one of the many talents on display here and even though this was a slow start I soon found myself chasing the lure, wanting to know more and even though I had to shelve belief a couple of times along the way, still I took the bait and ran.

I would like to thank St, Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, NetGalley and Jennifer Hillier for an opportunity to read this book.
I’ll admit that I had a bit of trouble getting in to this one at the beginning (although, to be fair, that could have been a “me” problem), but once it got going I didn’t want to put it down! This was an awesome thriller, that included some interesting twists that actually surprised me in a place or two! I definitely recommend this for you thriller fans!
What a book!  Full of twists and turns kept me in suspense, wanting to know more.  Quite a chilling storyline and something you hope to never encounter.  However, was justice really served by all?  I recommend this book!