Astrid the Unstoppable

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Feb 2019

An adorable book that made me think of the 'Eloise' stories.  Just substitute Astrid for Eloise and the mountains for the NY hotel.  Thanks to the publishers and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!  #AstridTheUnstoppable #NetGalley
Astrid the Unstoppable by Maria Parr is the story of Astrid. Astrid is the only child living in her village of Glimmerdal, and as a result her best friend is an elderly man named Gunnvald. Astrid has very strong emotions as well as a tendency to be a bit of a daredevil which frequently gets her into trouble. Astrid has always wanted the excitement of newcomers in town, especially kids, but when some strangers do show up, she suddenly becomes wary of the changes they might bring. When she discovers that Gunnvald has been keeping a secret from her, she’s not sure she will ever look at anything the same way again.

The descriptions of the characters and setting are vivid, and the author gives a clear picture of Glimmerdal and its inhabitants that makes the reader feel like a part of this fictional universe. Astrid’s relationship to Gunnvald is unique and special and their friendship, though unlikely, makes perfect sense within the context of this novel.

I received an ARC from Candlewick Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4.5/5 stars.
When a review for Astrid the Unstoppable mentioned Anne of Green Gables and Pippi Longstocking in the same sentence, you'd better believe I snapped this up like a kid at Christmas. My final judgement: Astrid is far more Pippi than Anne. For the first half of the book, one wild romp leads to the next, and the emotional story takes a supporting role. But when that B Story hits...boy, does it hit. Maria Parr tackles some hefty emotional topics without losing the fun and whimsy of the first half.
I had to laugh at my own American-ness at reading this book in translation... Our overprotectiveness as parents has become so ingrained that it's automatic. But Astrid skis alone and goes reindeer hunting with her teenage aunts, and sleds from the top of mountain straight onto a ferry. I guess I'll have to trust in my children's own ingrained American-ness that they'll think twice before trying to imitate her. :)
“Astrid the Unstoppable” has made it to my list of favorite children’s books.

Astrid, the thunderbolt of Glimmerdal, is the only child in her village. She likes the people in her village: her nosy neighbor, able seaman Jon, the young man who is in love with one of her aunts, but best of all is her godfather who just so happens to be her best friend. The two of them are as different as night and day. Astrid is a spunky nine-year-old girl and her godfather, Gunnvald, is an enormous and grouchy old man. Their relationship is heartwarmingly beautiful. Astrid gets into her fair share of scraps, and quite frankly so does Gunnvald. When Astrid finds out that Gunnvald has been keeping a gigantic secret from her, she’s not sure she can forgive him. Their friendship is tested, and Astrid is determined to help mend her grumpy best friend’s heart.

This book was fantastic! It deserves a solid place among the children’s classics. I was reminded of “Anne of Green Gables,” “Pippi Longstocking,” “The Summer Book,” and the “Betsy-Tacy” books, yet “Astrid the Unstoppable” was unique. It was charming, magical, funny. It was at its heart about the power of friendship, the magic of music, and the aliveness of the natural world.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free galley in exchange for an honest review.
The cover alone would make me pick up the book, but man is this a prose embodiment of 'hygge.'  Filled with beautiful descriptions and even more poignant emotions,   Must read.

I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
In this new middle grade novel by Norwegian author Maria Parr (Adventures with Waffles, 2015) Astrid is the only child living in her village of Glimmerdal, and as a result her best friend is an elderly man named Gunnvald. Astrid, who is known in her community as "the little thunderbolt" has very strong emotions as well as a tendency to be a bit of a daredevil which frequently gets her into trouble. Astrid has always wanted the excitement of newcomers in town, especially kids, but when some strangers do show up, she suddenly becomes wary of the changes they might bring. When she discovers that Gunnvald has been keeping a secret from her, she's not sure she will ever look at anything the same way again.

When I saw this book compared to Pippi Longstocking, I was a bit wary because, as I've said, I find Pippi grating and exhausting. I need not have worried, however, because Astrid, though plucky and self-confident, is a much more believable child character than Pippi. Outlandish as her behavior can be, Astrid is very much of the real world and not someone who feels like she belongs in a tall tale. Astrid's emotional turmoil, in particular, is thoroughly believable, and it is easy to empathize with her situation as events unfold.

The writing in this book is also top-notch. Descriptions of the characters and setting are vivid,and the author gives a clear picture of Glimmerdal and its inhabitants that makes the reader feel like a part of this fictional universe. Astrid's relationship to Gunnvald is unique and special and their friendship, though unlikely, makes perfect sense within the context of this novel. I enjoyed Adventures with Waffles, but this book is even better. Also, as an added bonus, it's a middle grade novel you can hand to an eight-, nine-, or ten-year-old without reservations. There aren't a lot of those around, so this is a rare gem for that reason as well. (Thank you, Candlewick Press, for the digital review copy via NetGalley!)
What would you get if you combined Pippi Longstocking with Dennis the Menance? Astrid the Unstoppable, of course! I fell in love with Astrid immediately. Her voice captured me, and her fearlessness, honesty, and big heart kept me captive.

It's so refreshing seeing things through a child's eyes, and Astrid sees and notices a lot. Not only do we have some fun adventures with Astrid, we also experience some more serious things, like missing a parent, divorce, death, missing a parent, and family secrets, but it's all done in such an age appropriate way.

I do not read a lot of books set in Norway, and I really enjoyed getting to see a little slice of Norwegian life. Skiing, sledding, lambing, and some interesting foods were just a few of the things we got to see in this book.

The heart of this book, for me, was the characters. Each and every person played such an important role in Astrid's life and I was glad to get to know them. Ola, Gunnveld, Heidi, dad, mom, and the aunties were all so lovely. Some were larger than life, while others were more low-key, but each was unique, interesting, and important to Astrid.

The ending this book was probably my favorite part. It was extremely heartwarming and left me with a smile on my face.

Overall: A delightful family tale starring a little spitfire, who won my heart.
This book was very cute middle grade book. Fans of Pippi Longstocking and Anne of Green Gables will find Astrid a kindred spirit and will adore her. It was a really heartwarming friendship between Astrid (the only child in her town)  and her elderly neighbor, Gunnvald as they entertain themselves.
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book was seriously so great. My kids loved it, and it was a wonderful story about confidence and growing up.
I want to forget this book and read it all over again for the first time. Never has a middle-grade book made me feel so much. My heart flip-flopped with every chapter and I often caught myself holding my breath as I turned the pages. Each revelation was more dramatic than the last.

Having an “Astrid” of my own, each outburst and tantrum were both endearing and familiar. The relationships were unique and heartwarming. I didn’t know I could love fictional characters this much. Each chapter evoked tears and laughter.

Astrid is a modern day Heidi, full of charm and tenacity. She made me laugh out loud, champion for her causes, and love her more each page. She tackles problems with a ferocity that I admire and envy.
The author paints a picture of breathtaking scenery, beautiful vistas, and imposing, snow capped mountains. You can vividly imagine the roar of the river and feel the snow crunch beneath your feet. Warm spring air fills your nostrils as you breathe in the heady scent of new grass and spruce.

Everything about this story was magnificent. It is not a story that can be rushed, but must be thoroughly digested, thought about, reflected upon. It’s written age appropriately with themes that an adult can enjoy and appreciate. I would love to see this made into a film or a written series. I want more of the little thunderbolt of Glimmerdal.
Astrid is the little thunderbolt of Glimmerdal. She is the only child and her best friend is an elderly neighbor, Gunnvald. Astrid's life on the mountain seems idyllic. She lives with her father; her mother is away in Greenland studying the icebergs. She spends her days with Gunnvald inventing the most amazing sled or just listening to him play his fiddle. She has the run of the mountains and valleys of her home. That all changes when Gunnvald becomes injured and his estranged daughter comes to Glimmerdal. Suddenly things aren't how Astrid thought they would be.

I was completely charmed by this book and by Astrid. The comparisons to Heidi are definitely there, but Astrid is definitely not Heidi. She is her own little hellion on skis. The freedom Astrid enjoys and her love of the outdoors and nature were a nice change from modern kids who spend a lot of time on devices and indoors. But really this is a book about relationships and Astrid's are enviable. Her family and neighbors are all people who genuinely care about each other. It was just such a refreshingly fun story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This is a really sweet and funny story. Our main character reminded me of Pippi Longstocking in the best way. This is a perfect cozy read for middle grade students. Heartwarming, and written with such a wonderful tone.
Thank you to NetGallley for providing me with a free digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The main character has a big personality just like Pippi Longstocking. Astrid has a big personality. This book is about friendship, and the changes it makes as it grows. Astrid is likeable and wild and fun. It was a very enjoyable read and had some surprises as well. I definitely recommend to early middle grade readers.
Astrid the Unstoppable by Maria Parr is a wonderful story about a girl with a big personality. This story definitely drew a reminder to Pippi Longstockings for me because of her big and bold personality. The reader also gets a look at some interesting characters in her life such as her best friend, Gunnvald, who is very much her senior! She would love to have other children to befriend but there are no other children in her village. When change comes to the village, she thinks she can plan how to keep things straight but sometimes change can be good. I think younger kids will enjoy the characters and reading this story. This would be a great read aloud as it would be easy to bring the characters to life and open up discussions about being alone, having/not having siblings, change, friendship, and so many more topics! I recommend reading this enjoyable story!

I received an advance copy of this book from Net Galley in an exchange for an honest review.
Astrid The Unstoppable was written by Maria Parr, and is considered a middle grade fiction book.  The book follows a precocious nine year old girl by the name of Astrid, who really does believe she can do anything, and so she does it-with varying degrees of success.
She lives in the tiny mountain village of Glimmerdal, and spends much of her free time creating un-intended mischief, hatching plans with her best friend and godfather Gunnvald, and causing problems for the grumpy resort owner down the road.
Astrid lives life to the fullest-non-stop, all the time-but when a secret is revealed that challenges things she has believed to be true her entire life, will she have the strength of character to face the way things really are, and find a new way to be unstoppable?
My Thoughts:  I really enjoyed this book.  The portrayal of small town life in Glimmerdal-with its quirky characters and beautiful scenery-are brought to life through the eyes of Astrid, and make this book a truly enjoyable read.
The book felt to me like a cross between Heidi and Pippi Longstocking.  Being fans of both of those books, this one was right up my alley, and if you enjoyed those books as well, this book is for you.
I highly recommend this book-for kids and adults alike.  It is charming, well-written, interesting, and heart-warming.  And, it passes my true test-I am looking forward to reading it again.  Pick this one up-it is definitely worth the read.
I would like to thank Candlewick Press for providing me with a free copy of this book for my unbiased review.  And, I would like to mention, that as I am reviewing this book prior to its release, it will be available beginning November 13, 2018.  Go get it!
Not personally my tastes and something that I could not seem to get into. I suggest condensing the narrative a bit.
This book goes right alongside other "plucky heroine" novels. Astrid is delightfully stubborn, loud, and kind. Her best friend, her closest and oldest neighbor, is the quintessential gruff old man with a soft heart.
The characters are fun and full of heart; where this book might lose younger readers is in its slower plot. However, fans of Heidi, Anne Shirley, and Pippi Longstocking will find plenty to enjoy here.
Astrid is a very likeable character who will appeal to many young readers.. Her adventures will amuse readers as they applaud her spirit.
Astrid is an enthusiastic force of nature within her village in Norway. She lives life to the fullest and makes life interesting for all those around her!  Astrid the Unstoppable is an entertaining elementary or middle grade read. Each chapter is a new adventure in her life. You'll meet her best friend Gunnvald, her parents (mom spends most of her time doing research in Iceland), and Mr. Hagen, host of a spa who decidedly does NOT like children. There's even a bit of mystery as Astrid finds out that even best friends have secrets.

As Astrid navigates her 9th year, she has friends and family by her side, catching her when she falls (a frequent occurance), drying her tears when life gets crazy and unpredictable, and loving every ounce of her quirky, charming self.  Readers will delight in this new young heroine who bears resemblance to classic characters like Pippi Longstocking and Heidi.

Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of Astrid the Unstoppable from NetGalley for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.
Like a beautifully crafted fairy tale, Astrid the Unstoppable by Maria Parr will transport you to a hidden mountain town where anything can happen!  9-year-old Astrid is a spirited child that lives on the snowy hills of Glimmerdal.  In fact, Astrid is the only child that lives in Glimmerdal.  Her best friend is her 70-something year old godfather, Gunnvald, and Astrid wouldn’t have it any other way.   Told in 3rd person, we follow Astrid as she drives the owner of Hagen’s Wellness Retreat crazy, befriends some kids vacationing in Glimmerdal, and discovers a huge secret about Gunnvald; a secret that could damage their friendship forever.  Quoted as a cross between Pippi Longstocking and Heidi, middle grade readers will love adventuring with Astrid!

The best part of this book is the friendship that Astrid has with old Gunnvald.  They are both fiery and stubborn, but love each other like family.  Like true best friends, they indulge in each other’s crazy ideas and comfort each other in times of need.

I would recommend this book to kids ages 7 – 12 or 2rd graders with a high reading level (because of some difficult Norwegian names & words) up to 6th graders.  I would also recommend this book to parents to read aloud to their children of any age! It is such an enjoyable book!

Thank you to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for this E-ARC