Cover Image: The Liar's Room

The Liar's Room

Susanna must be thinking at this point that this appointment is turning into an utter nightmare and fast. Adam is a new patient and he has lied and turned the tables on her fast. Can Susanna depend on her training to get her out of this?

A perfect, edge-of-your seat beginning with a intriguing story line that promises some bits and pieces from their past.  Adam knows things about her that he shouldn't, but how? I wanted to learn how they were connected and began guessing (I was totally wrong), maybe you can figure it out!

We are stuck in Susanna's office for most of the book (with Adam) and it becomes very claustrophobic with a few intense, sizzling moments. Some dark secrets come to light as we ride it out with Susanna until the end.

I was glued to parts of the story, while some seemed to be a bit over the top. It was quite claustrophobic being in that doctors office for most of the book (I wanted out too), Overall.......an enticing read.

Fans of this genre and author should enjoy this dark story that was full of secrets.
I hope people are not put off seeing a councillor after reading this book.  She did not make it easy for Adam to talk about his problem on their first meeting.  I did not think it was engaging or gripping more frustration and 'just get on with it'.  I could not continue with this book.
Unfortunately I just couldn't get into this book despite trying multiple times so in the interest in fairness will not be reviewing it on any platform. Thank you for the opportunity to read it.
An interesting and rewarding read. Enjoyed the flow of the story and the timeline. The chapters were a good length which helped to hold my interest.
Read April 19

To me a good thriller is signified by whether you remember it or not – especially as I have a bad memory – but while I can remember bits of the classics (Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train, Behind Her Eyes) I couldn’t remember this without GoodReads at all. The single room set-up was dull, I’m not sure if there was sufficient detail and the characters… Not memorable, lacking in depth. Villain was a caricature. It followed the basic thriller formula but without true feeling and belief.
I found this book to.be monotonous and unbelievable. Which was disappointing as I had high hopes for a Lelic book. Borderline DNF read.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
Amazing. Simply amazing. Simon never disappoints and this book displays all of his creative talents. I was forever holding my breath following this twisted tale. I loved it.
Great psychological thriller with an unusual story line and the odd unexpected twist.

4 stars from me!
Good, not what you expect, gripping and challenging. Thought provoking, easy to read and different. All things I like in a book. When I thought maybe the book was taking a predictable turn it then did a u turn and went in a different direction. I like that the language and writing style wasn’t to challenging - I don’t, personally want to read anything to high brow for pleasure. Highly  recommend.
This was quite an entertaining read.  Imagine escaping from your old life, and then it seems as if your old life walked into your office.  This made for a very thrilling read, and I will read some more of this talented author in future.
I DNF'd this.

It was unconvincing, unrealistic, monotonous, and so obsessed with flashbacks of the past that there was hardly any true narrative timeline. Not the best thing I’ve read this year.
Oh, and another present-tense narrative. Sigh. And my opinion hasn't changed. It still does not work. One star knocked off.

This is one of those thrillers where the two main protagonists know what's going on, but the reader doesn't. Which is tedious and tries your patience. That said, it is compelling.

Susanna Fenton is a counsellor and single parent to teenager Emily. She has spent fourteen years with a new identity, but when Adam goes to see her for an 'appointment', it's a consultation like no other. He seems to know an awful lot about her, her past and worse…Emily.

It's quite addictive at first because what does Adam want from Susanna, how does he know her, of her and what is his interest in Emily? But then it gets very overplayed. The reasons for Susanna's dramatic change of life and the reasons for Adam's taunting are underwhelming, if I'm honest. Neither is guilty of anything very much other than being victims of tragedy. I suppose it's a testament to the quality of writing that you are nonetheless enthralled by the unfurling of the past, what Adam wants from Susanna and if Emily is in any danger.

The strangulating present-tense narrative means the past, in order for the present-day events to make any sense, has to be revealed via Susanna's memories and Emily's diary, which is all a bit contrived and clumsy.

Notwithstanding the clunkiness, ghastly present tense, few characters that are actually likeable and the painfully slow reveal, you do find yourself unwittingly caught up in the tension and suspense.
I liked this book a lot. The Liar's Room was gripping, chilling and shocking; all around just a solid thriller.
In this book our main character Susanna is having to recount her old-life, a life she tried to keep secret, while trying to work out why it is important to the man who is asking, and how he knows so much.
Right from the first page I knew I just had to know more and the story kept me guessing right up until the very last page.
Set mostly in one room this thriller was claustrophobic, I was hooked, constantly looking for a way our main character could escape but, as though my mind was being read by the author, we were always out-smarted by the 'villain' so-to-speak.
Usually with books that have two timelines I find that one is more gripping or interesting while the other lacks or has me wishing I could skim without feeling guilty but that was not at all the case with this book; both when the past was being recounted and when the present added little bits that made me wonder 'but what about afterwards?' I was just hooked, needing to know what would happen next and what that would mean for the story and the characters I had grown to understand and sympathise with.
I love a book that can make me wonder what I would do in the situation depicted and this book was perfect for this.
The liars room intrigued me from the very start I loved it. I was hooked and struggled to put it down. Kept me guessing and loved the brilliant twist.
Great and interesting read. Susanna had an awful choice to make and did the best she could. I enjoyed guessing what Adam was trying to get across and finally worked it out a little before it was revealed in the story. I would have liked to know a little more about what Emily went through and her reaction when she discovered the secret. Overall it was a good book and I would recommend to friends and family
I just didn't feel like this book went anywhere, it seemed very flat throughout. Really not my cup of tea
This had the makings of a fantastic book, but there were a couple of things that lost a star for me.
I found it quite difficult engaging with the characters, especially Susanna. I also found a couple of the scenes really disturbing.
Well written, and the drip feeding of information kept me guessing. Not a bad book at all.
THE LIAR'S ROOM is a dark and unsettling thriller about a woman's secret past that returns to haunt her.
A great psychologicaI thriller which I couldn't put it down.   Lots of twists and turns which I love.  It kept me hooked to the very end.  Loved it.
Amazing book. I couldn't tell what the twists were going to be. The author did an amazing job with the writing