Cover Image: The Fifth to Die

The Fifth to Die

Where do I begin?
I am confused and my head aches, but in a good way. I NEED to read the first book again!
I loved The Fourth Monkey. We had a great relationship and understood each other. Ours was a considerably smooth journey.
The Fifth To Die? I am wrecked! I feel like I have been thrown in a washing machine and then left to dry in a desert all by my lonesome! Our devastating liaison is scandalous and outrageous.
I am using big words because there is no other way to describe this hurricane.
Talk about suspense! I need some time to heal. I need to sleep!

If you decide to read The Fifth To Die, STOP! First take a deep breath. Make sure you DO Not begin late at night and that you have done all your important chores and there is nothing or no one to interrupt you. Go grab The Fourth Monkey and start from there.
Happy reading!
Thanks to J.D Barker, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for providing me with a copy.
Excellent series, and a cliffhanger too! Now I have to wait to find out what Bishop has in store. I'll be first in line for the next in the series.
Is the 4MK Killer Back?
The heroine, Detective Sam Porter, is still obsessed with the 4MK killer, Anson Bishop, who escaped at the end of the first novel. Because he was suspected of letting the 4MK killer escape and still be in contact with the killer, the FBI has taken over that investigation and their sharing of information back to the Chicago police became non-existent.

Now, the body of a teenage girl is found in very complex circumstances. While the modus operandi (MO) is different but the question is, “Has the 4MK killer returned?” Another teenage girl goes missing. Porter’s team takes up the investigation, but Porter is burning the candle at both ends. While he and his team investigate the murder and missing girl during the day, at night he has turned his bedroom into a war room on tracking down the 4MK killer. This fact is discovered by the FBI, and Porter is placed on suspension. The main storyline splits into two. Porter’s second in command, Clair Norton, takes over the lead on the new murder, and Porter goes off the grid to capture the 4MK killer so as to redeem himself. The main storylines take off from here in a real rollercoaster of storylines. I was addicted immediately.

The B-storyline and the Porter side of the main storyline essentially merge. Detective has a deep obsession that portrayed in much detail as well as the history of the 4MK killer. How the author unfolds this story is quite interesting with many twists and turns. I especially enjoyed reading this part. There are many new characters introduced in this part of main storyline, but everything fits together quite well and in a very intriguing way, and spills into the other main storyline. Once it was all revealed, I had to smile and chuckle.

There is some vulgar language, but in my opinion, not excessive and all consistent with the characters and circumstances. There is not any graphic sex.

I enjoyed this novel immensely, and rate it with five stars. While you can read this novel without reading the first, but you might enjoy this one more if you do read The Fourth Monkey first. I know that this title is non-descript, but the novel isn’t. I strongly recommend reading both novels.

I have received a free kindle version of this novel through NetGalley from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt with a request for an honest, unbiased review. I wish to thank Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the opportunity to read this novel early.
THAT'S HOW IT ENDS??? And just when I thought we were friends, Barker.

Seriously, Barker kept the twists coming with the latest release of the 4MK series. Every time I thought I puzzled it out and put together the evidence, BAM , Barker changed it up to something even more clever. At times, I kind of root for Bishop, which is quite disturbing but the guy has talent.

I felt like Porter's character changed a little, he wasn't as gruff, or such a technophobe in this installment. I didn't really like the change but it didn't affect the overall story so I was able to look pass it.

I think the victims could have been a bit more developed. I didn't feel the empathy toward them I would have liked.

Overall, Barker's sequel was a page turner and I will be anxiously awaiting book 3.
Wow.  Just wow.  J.D. Barker has hit this one out the park and I'm really not sure how he is going to top it.  In the second book of the 4MK thriller series, we follow Detective Porter and company into a maze so twisty I didn't think I'd ever get out.  Please hurry with #3!
The Fourth Monkey was one of my favorite reads of last year, so when I saw The Fifth to Die on NetGalley, I immediately requested it. Be warned, The Fifth to Die is a true continuation of its predecessor. If you haven’t read The Fourth Monkey, you would most likely be lost at least some of the time reading this one.

The Fifth to Die picks up with detective Porter, our former hero, lost in a dream sequence about 4MK. I loathe dream sequence beginnings, but I’m going to go easy on this one. Porter and Nash are on the trail of a murderer, riding in Nash’s beloved beater of a classic car, Connie, who becomes a character unto herself, referred to, often, by name.  This car gets a fair amount of page time and I have to wonder if the author isn’t restoring some vehicle somewhere as a passion project, or if he wants to.

A girl has gone missing and another is dead, found beneath the ice, wearing the missing girl’s clothes and placed under the ice after the lake froze. Chilling stuff, literally! The scene is a departure from 4MKs MO, in which the eyes, ears, and tongue of his victims are mailed to a loved one before their bodies are discovered, but Porter’s got 4MK on the brain, and of course, the two are connected. Porter and Nash investigate the disappearance/murder with the help of Clair and a cast of supporting characters from Missing Children, the coroner’s office, and, eventually, the FBI.

The body count is high in this one, and these two girls kick off what turns out to be a series of murders involving a new killer (spoiler alert: not really 4MK). Anson Bishop isn’t entirely out of the equation, but the man in the black hat takes center stage as, one-by-one, young women disappear only to reappear dead. What he’s doing to them is straight out of a torture film, and one has to assume that this man does what he does because he is on his last leg and wants to know what’s beyond death, which he might soon be experiencing firsthand. What’s his tie to 4MK? You’re going to have to do a whole lot of reading to figure that out. About 132 chapter’s worth! Yes, I said 132 chapters!

I applauded The Fourth Monkey for the author’s deft handling of a large cast, for his ability to bring together a huge story from multiple viewpoints, but that didn’t happen this time. The writing is brilliant, don’t get me wrong. Snappy dialogue and well-executed setting. Original, page-turning plot, and the procedural angle is, again, done expertly, but with multiple murders and multiple killers, victim’s viewpoints, Porter’s being excused from the case and going rogue, the Libby sub-plot, which comes sort of late, and the hunt for 4MKs mother… it’s too much for one book, and too much of it is unresolved by the end. I feel this is a plotting fail, that the author could have focused on the man in the in the black hat and his connection with 4MK and left the rest for the next installment, and the one after that, and the one after that… This could easily have been two or three books, and I feel the series could go on indefinitely.

Where The Fourth Monkey stands nicely alone, The Fifth to Die ends, literally, with “to be continued.” I do not like this, not after 132 chapters of reading. The next installment is set up without concluding what went on in this one. I have to hope this all plays out in the third book. That we’re not mired in the foster care trope that is the single most unoriginal point of this story, because even if I feel a bit cheated, I did enjoy The Fifth to Die. I will definitely read the next one, but I had high expectations of this author after the first in this series. I’m giving this book a solid 4-star rating, but man, I’m looking for redemption.

*Thank you to the publisher, the author, and NetGalley for an ARC of The Fifth to Die.
J.D. Barker has crafted a rich, intricate world full of robust, personality-driven characters, and advanced story telling technique. And he is presenting it to us, the reader, one giant novel at a time.

You don’t get conclusions around here. There is no end until it ends.

It’s a train that never stops. It is always moving towards the next destination in this 4MK world where you’ll be given new threads and new clues and new revelations that puts one more puzzle piece into the jumbled picture that is Anson Bishop and Detective Porter.

This series is detailed, not so much in visual description, but in depth of narrative and connections. They are flying all over the place, from past to present, from case to case. It could be too much maybe for some readers, but for me, it filled me with joy at how vast this puzzle really is.

And I don’t want to oversell this, but IT’S THE GREATEST THING OUT THERE RIGHT NOW ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

…yeah, that feels like the right amount of cap locks.

This is a not a book you can jump into without reading the first in the series. I mean, you could, but you’d be missing out on half of the beauty of what J.D. Barker is doing with this series.

This is a very intense and thoughtful nemesis epic. EPIC. E.P.I.C. It has elements of the Hannibal/Clarice relationship. Or Archie and Gretchen. Good vs. Brilliant Evil.

Honestly, Bishop is just the fucking shit. He’s so purely demented, and so maniacally intelligent that he makes things not only scary and thrilling, but fun too. We aren’t people that want others to be murdered…but at the same time, if it means Bishop remains free, than yeah, kill away buddy!

If you want to really enjoy this book, you need to enjoy all that came before it. You need to know the relationship between Bishop and Porter from the very beginning, and become emotionally invested in all it’s dark, creepy aspects. So if you haven’t already gotten into this series, do it. Now. Run, don’t walk. Pick up number one, The Fourth Monkey, and get read for number two, The Fifth to Die, when it comes out in July.

I’ve seen some reviews suggesting this can be read as a standalone, but in my honest opinion you’d be doing yourself a giant disservice by reading these out of order.

The only reason I’m calling this 4.5 stars instead of 5 is really because there wasn’t as much action in this one as I was hoping. The first book was a mile a minute. It literally blew my mind. I’m still picking up the pieces. But this book focused more on the discovery of Bishop’s past, how he got to be who and what he is, and less on the “serial killer” aspect of this serial killer thriller. I think it was brilliant, but it was missing that last, teeny-eeny little bit of oomphf.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing book, it just a little bit more information heavy than I was expecting after reading The Fourth Monkey.

Okay, so for the rest of the review, I’m basically just going to be fangirling over J.D. Barker because at this point, after reading this and dealing with that cliffhanger, I’m convinced he’s a genius.

Praise be for Barker, the ultimate literary god. His voice is so unique, his thoughts so twisted and his ability to create a story that never stop is unmatched. He’s the serial killer epic master.

4.5 stars rounded up!
I'm not going to lie, The Fifth to Die pissed me off. At the same time, it was a riveting and intriguing read.

*I am keeping this review vague to avoid spoilers. This also won’t make much sense if you haven’t read 4MK.*

Let me begin by saying that The Fifth To Die is a whole lot of book to process. There are multiple story lines, multiple POV's and multiple bad guys. There’s just too much going on for me to even attempt to write a summary.

At first, things feel a little disconnected. I was waiting and struggling and waiting and struggling and then finally everything began to come together and clicked! Once it did, I was riveted. But then I got to the last page, which is when my anger set in--I yelled for a bit. OK, maybe for longer than a bit. This is a really long book and there’s not exactly a payoff. However, at the same time, I could have kept reading and reading and reading, which is always a good sign. I am ready for book three NOW.

There is a lot of development with Porter’s character and some intriguing revelations about his past. And of course, Bishop, aka 4MK, is wonderfully creepy. But I wanted more of him. I enjoyed Poole’s character as well. There’s also a new killer. While he was twisted, I wish he had been even more twisted (this says a lot about me). The addition of Bishop’s mother is chillingly fabulous!

So if you decide to read The Fifth to Die, be prepared to feel a little angry; you will be left wanting more.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books in exchange for an honest review.
I LOVE THIS BOOK! and  I HATE THIS BOOK! I mean really what the hell!!!???

ok..so should explain ...

I have never read this author before...thought it looked interesting and read the excerpt...and was hooked ...

I do want to thank netgalley ...as they provided me with the free advance reading copy for this review ...and the book just grabbed me

I have become so tired of so many authors over the past several years ...Grisham . .(whatever happened to that amazing author who wrote time to kill??? ) and Patterson ...and so many others ...they used to pull me in by page 2...but dont anymore ...but this one did ...WOW!   I was hooked!  you didnt have to read the previous book...enough info to fill you in but didnt appear to be a total rehash...and the characters .. the story line...the writing style.  .yep ...I love it!

Basic story ...a serial killer (Anson Bishop) from a detectives past (Sam Porter) is back and their previous encounter is of course still with him (enough so that I will be getting the previous book to read it too) ...but there is now an additional new killer ...with severely depraved ideas of how to get closer to God and the afterlife....one you know is tied together somehow with Bishop...just don't know how ...the cases slowly come together and it is done so well  ...the chapters jump between characters and side stories with each it's own little cliff hanger ...new characters are added ...including Bishop's mother (who would never win prizes from the PTA ...actually ..the whole family was one screwed up psychotic nightmare)  ...again I just loved it!

so. ..why would I hate this book you ask??   well ..thank you for asking  ..let me tell you

As I got closer to the end...100 or so pages ...I started reading with more anticipation ..couldn't wait to find out about this person? ...what about that event?...why did that happen and how does it fit in? ..then with  50 pages left I got to thinking ...wow...this is a lot to tie together ..then 25 ..and thought..ok .there is no way ..some things are going to be left out ...then 10...and realized ...its not going to end ..I am going to have to wait for another book ..and yep...it ends with "To Be Concluded"

....

....

WHAT THE HELL! are you freaking kidding me??? this is an advanced copy...to be released in July ...figure nine months to a year for the next book and I am agony and I am pissed !

Will i read the next book?  Will the sun rise tomorrow?   I am betting on it with 99.99999999999% surety ...but holy crap ..really?????  SIGH....ok...so i loved it and hated it and yes i recommend it ..if you like a good detective story ..well written ..a real page turner..then get this book ...

and J.D. Barker?  I freaking hate you ...

and love you ...

now I feel psychotic...
"You can't play God, without being acquainted with the devil."

This is the second in the 4MK Thriller series. Although this does work as a stand-alone novel, I strongly encourage you to read the first book in the series, "The Fourth Monkey". Trust me, you will be happy you did and may perhaps even become a HUGE J.D. Barker fan in the process!!! I know I am!

Anson Bishop, the Four Monkey Killer is still on the loose!!!! This guy is seriously playing a mean game of hide and seek! Detective Porter has been called off the hunt to investigate the murder of a missing girl who has been found beneath the ice of Jackson Park Lagoon wearing another missing girls’ clothing. It appears there is another killer in the city. Is this the work of Bishop? Nah, the MO doesn't fit. But who? Why? How?

Intriguing......

Porter just can't let go of the Bishop case. He is, shall we say, obsessed and keeps looking. He does some digging and, in the process, gets in trouble at work, but he still can't let it go. A serial killer has alluded him. He can't let that go. He is going to find Bishop no matter what! Or is he?

So by now, I'm salivating.....

What happens if he finds Bishop? What happens if Bishop finds him first? What happened with the girl found under the ice? Who is the other killer?????

I loved the parts with the other killer and his victims in this book. Man, was he deliciously evil in a twisted-guy-who-creeps-you-out kind of way. He was seriously messed up! While reading I kept wondering "what the heck is he looking for?" and "what is HIS story?" Well, as I kept turning the pages (I read this on a kindle, but you know what I mean!), I learned his story - part of it at least. Color me intrigued.

There are two different story lines going on in this book and it doesn't appear that they are connected but.... well, as differing story lines go...they often find their way together one way or another! J.D. Barker must have a very creative, imaginative and twisted mind, which I am thankful for! Plus, there is going to be another book in this series. When I got to the last page, I believe my words were "Are you kidding me? Are you SERIOUSLY kidding me? That's it?????" As frustrating as that last page was, I have to say, well played Barker, well played.

So, the series will continue, and I will be there with bated breath wanting, no needing, to find out what happens next! I know it is going to be good! It must be!

Again, yet another well written book by J.D. Baker. Obviously, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did enjoy "The Fourth Monkey" a tad bit more, but this was still very good. For me this book really shined when showing the new killer and the girls he kidnapped. Barker does a good job at keeping the reader guessing as to what this guy's motivation was and what he was hoping the girls would see. An added plus was the addition of Bishop's mother. Mom-of-the-year she was NOT! For those who read the first book in the series, you will know what I mean! Even she is creepy. I think there was a creep-a-thon going on in this book!

So, I think it is safe to say, I enjoyed this book and I think most of you will too!

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The opinions in this review are my own.
Honestly? I'm smug as smug can get. I figured everyone and everything out in this horrific book. Seriously, when I finished this second book I had a shit eating grin on my face! I've no clue where book three is going, but I was ON for this one. Thing is, it's a twisty turny, w,t,h, is going on type book. Mr. Barker has my utmost respect. Stuart Macbride, John Connolly and Stephen King are comparable in the character and world building of these books. The drowning aspects of this story were just gosh awful. I'm a water baby. Those who are swimmers, and a few who aren't know about "taking on water."  Funny, I just realized, when I say the drowning, I mean the arsehole who is drowning girls. It's awful. Anyone who is still reading my dumb assed reviews know that I don't give spoilers. The drowning? It's there in all its glorious obscenity from the get-go. If you want a trilogy that's going to stun you with all the mysteries, and leave you saying w.t.f? This is it. If you don't like being "ascaird" then stay the heck away. This book is graphic. No blood and guts, just in your face messed up. I thank my lucky stars that serial killers aren't his smart. My thanks to Mr. Barker, his publishers "can I get a hell ya'." And of course Netgalley.
Oh my yes! I have been waiting on this since I finished The Fourth Monkey.

Sam is still trying to find Bishop, the 4MK. And people are still being killed. Parents, children, it would seem this killer has no intention of stopping until he is caught.

As Sam sets out to find Bishop's mother, he sees just how far Bishop's reach is. And if you thought Bishop was bad, just wait until you try to wrap your head around his parents! These were some seriously disturbed characters. With all of the horror you could ask for. The book is full of twists, subplots and just down right delicious horror!
That ending though! Talk about a cliff hanger. If you enjoyed the first one, you will enjoy this one. But be warned, this is a very descriptive book. And I loved it!

Netgalley/July 10th 2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
I loved The Fourth Monkey so I was highly anticipating this sequel! When I finished I just stopped and said "What. Did. I. Just. Read?" Seriously, this book has your head spinning at every turn. When Porter and his team find a young girl underneath the ice, although they aren't sure it's the same killer who escaped in the previous book, it has all the trademarks of a twisted mind--perhaps a serial killer. More girls are missing and Porter must go underground to uncover some inconsistencies he finds. What a wild ride as perspectives alternate between the detectives and "the man in the knit cap" who cages and repeatedly "drowns" his victims. Who is involved and how is this new pattern connected to the previous killer? It's both complicated and mind-blowing. I kept putting the book down to ponder and then picking it up right away as I had to know what would happen. Now I am eagerly awaiting the third book! Please hurry Mr. Barker!
4.5 stars (release date 7/10/18)

Holy.Cow. Now that's what I call a sequel!! This is the second book in the 4MK Thriller book series and it does not disappoint. If you haven't read the first book The Fourth Monkey you need to read it now so that you're ready when this book comes out in July. These are some of the best thriller/mystery books I've read in the last year.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and J.D. Barker for allowing me to read and review this book!!

Detective Sam Porter is haunted by the escape of Anson Bishop, The Fourth Monkey killer. He and his team have been pulled from the investigation and it's been turned over to the feds. When a young girl's body is discovered frozen in the waters of a local lagoon, she is identified as a young girl that had been missing for 3 weeks. The circumstances of her disappearance and discovery raise many questions, including why is she wearing the clothes of another girl that has only been missing for two days.

Porter and his team begin investigating this new mystery as Porter secretly continues his investigation into Bishop, including trying to track down his mother. When his secret investigation is discovered, he's suspended from the police force. Instead of deterring him, Porter's suspension drives him even harder to track down Bishop and his mother.

The book is once again told in short chapters from alternating character's points of view. While the book starts off a bit slower than the first book, it quickly picks up and doesn't let up. The action is fierce and the story and characters are dark and creepy. The plot has plenty of surprising twists and turns and keeps you reading well into the night. I had a hard time putting this book down.

I can't wait to read the next book in this series!!
Ever since I read the first book, I have been dying to read the second. Now that I have, I am so happy. It was just as good as I thought it would be!
I didn't see it coming. This novel completely blindsided me. I loved the first installment of this series, with a serial killer who is truly smart. A new spree of unusual and gruesome murders shock Chicago. Sam Porter, the cop who almost caught The Fourth Monkey Killer, is investigating. There is something unusual about these killings, but he doesn't think it's his old nemesis. He could be involved, but the Chicago Metro team is no longer in charge of this case and it's the FBI who pursues the old cases and Sam is left out. For a while anyway. We get all the old characters, plus a few new ones. Poole, the FBI agent who is willing to work with Sam's team, is especially likable. Again, no one is safe and, just like last time, not everybody is who it seems. We also get another peek at Bishop's past, even if this time around it is not as suspenseful as the events happening in the present and it’s more of a way to set up the endgame. Be forewarned that there are many cliffhangers, so I can’t wait to see what happens next.
HOLY CLIFFHANGER BATMAN!!!! What the hell J.D. Barker?!!

The Fifth to Die is the sequel to The Fourth Monkey and you need to read it first before you ever get close to this sequel. So don't even read this book as a stand alone! You've been warned.

I only gave this 4.5 stars due to a beginning that lags, and it took longer for the book to grip me. But by the 1/2 way point of this book, the intensity and suspense is excellent!!

In the beginning, Detective Porter along with his partners are investigating the disappearance of a missing girl named Lili Davies and the death of another one, Ella Reynolds. Ella is found in frozen ice, but she’s clothed in the Lili's clothes. What is the connection between these two girls and do they have a new serial killer in Chicago?

The case of the Four Monkey Killer or also known as Anson Bishop has been given to the FBI but Detective Porter can’t seem to quit pursuing him or obsessing about him.

We’ve got two cases going on at the same time and the POV changes constantly. In the beginning, I was a bit confused and had to remember all the characters from the first book. I got the hang of it after remembering Nash, Clair and Klozowski. I honestly don’t remember if FBI agent Poole was in the first book, but he ended up being my favorite character in this sequel. He keeps the 4MK killer case progressing and knows things are a lot more complicated with Anson Bishop than the Chicago Metro realizes.

Also, I got a bit annoyed by Detective Porter and his obsession for the 4MK killer. I’m not going to expand on this due to spoilers. In fact, there is so much that happens in this book with Detective Porter and the 4MK killer that I’ll stop right here due to spoilers!

J.D. Barker manages to bring this series to a whole new cluster fuck by the end that I was shocked. I’m going to need a flow chart with everything that involves Anson Bishop’s life!
I’m super annoyed that I have to wait now for the 3rd book in the series to get all my questions answered. Damn you Barker!!!

Recommended for readers that have already read the first book, and lovers of suspense and thrillers!
After reading the first book in this series, I was itching to get my hands on another instalment from the fantastically talented and rather macabre -minded J D Barker.

Without giving away any spoilers, and without sounding as warped as the story, this is my kind of serial killer tale!

This was dark. This was clever. Those twisted characters, who's minds were riddled with murderous thoughts and intellectual madness entertained me, intrigued me, and in parts, shook me.

It took me a while to finish this, purely because I have had very little spare time of late, but over the course of about three weeks, this bountiful book of cat and mouse between the police and their suspects didn't disappoint.

I will say that I think it would be essential to read the first book in the series as there are LOTS of flashbacks and connections to earlier book one scenarios that could be confusing to someone who didn't have a background story.

I am completely invested in this author, and I'm pretty sure there's more to come. I don't think the #4MK killer is quite ready to just disappear and mingle in with you and I just yet.

Huge thanks to the author and publisher for providing me with an advance copy via NetGalley to read in exchange for an honest review.
This book picks up a few months after The Fourth Monkey (4MK #1) leaves off. I really enjoyed it as it is fast-paced, with lots of action and twists. This book adds a couple more characters into the mix. The 4Mk case is taken over by the FBI, so Detective Porter is off the case and Agent Poole is on it.

Porter gets involved in a new case of girls that have been abducted, tortured, and killed. However, when the FBI and the Chicago PD find out that he is still investigating 4MK on his own, he is suspended. Porter then gets an additional tip on 4MK and is off to New Orleans on his own. He's obsessed with finding 4MK and finds himself engrained in the killer's life once again.

I like the way the author gives us different perspectives for the 3 different cases going on - FBI and 4MK, Chicago PD and girl abductions, and Porter. We get not only law enforcement, but also the killer and victims as well. The book moves quickly as it is only set over 4 days (each chapter provides the date and time of each person).

Unfortunately we are still left hanging at the end... but that just means there will be another book, right? Can't wait!
I LOVED JD BARKER!!!  This book was all that I expected:  creepy, suspenseful, twisty, psychological and thrilling!  Fabulous continuation of The Fourth Monkey which I also loved...I was waiting for this one to come out, literally!  The story of Porter and the Chicago PD continues with them piecing together murder scenes and disappearances and clues left by the 4M killer who escaped at the end of the first book.  The story does not disappoint at all, but has left me wanting the next book!  Quite a cliffhanger ending, revealing some of the answers the police had been searching for through the book but not all of them.  Not even close.  This is one of those books that I will be thinking about for days and will have to reread before the next installment comes out.  JD Barker has an amazing way with word, creating interesting characters and suspenseful, thrilling stories full of little clues and hints along the way.  I could not put this book down.  Absolutely loved it!  Thank you SO SO Much to JD Barker, his awesome publisher Houghton Mifflin (Liz Anderson), Kristin Nelson Literary Agency and NetGalley for the ARC!   You guys are the best!!!  Thanks for recognizing what a big fan I am!!!  Counting the days until the third book comes out!